Posted to rec.audio.pro
mcp6453[_2_] mcp6453[_2_] is offline

Default Dumb Question about Cramolin

A number of years ago, I purchased a case of Cramolin CONTACLEAN, article number
1011412. The cans are aerosol. As luck would have it, most of the cans have lost
their pressurization. Is there any reason I cannot use a can opener to open the
cans and pour the cleaner into sealed bottles?

http://www.itwcp.de/detail-1011411-en.html
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

On 2/29/2012 10:40 PM, mcp6453 wrote:
A number of years ago, I purchased a case of Cramolin CONTACLEAN, article number
1011412. The cans are aerosol. As luck would have it, most of the cans have lost
their pressurization. Is there any reason I cannot use a can opener to open the
cans and pour the cleaner into sealed bottles?

I'd be more careful than that. What I've done when I've
found similar cans on my shelf is to drill or punch a small
hole in the bottom first until I'm sure the pressure is
released.

of audio." - John Watkinson

interesting audio stuff
Posted to rec.audio.pro

I've got a better suggestion. I'd contact Caig and "urge" them to replace
the cans.

There's no reason the cans should lose their pressure. I have a can of
Prestone "Tuff Stuff" cleaner that's almost 40 years old and it still works.

The "loss of pressure" might not be that at all, but defective valves. I'd
be very cautious about puncturing these cans. Ask youself... How would Adam
and Jamie do it?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

In article ,
mcp6453 wrote:
A number of years ago, I purchased a case of Cramolin CONTACLEAN, article number
1011412. The cans are aerosol. As luck would have it, most of the cans have lost
their pressurization. Is there any reason I cannot use a can opener to open the
cans and pour the cleaner into sealed bottles?

http://www.itwcp.de/detail-1011411-en.html

You could probably do that, but you could also probably sell them on Ebay
for crazy amounts of money to audiophiles who believe cramolin is a legendary
magical cleaning product that no longer exists.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

William Sommerwerck wrote:
I've got a better suggestion. I'd contact Caig and "urge" them to replace
the cans.

There's no reason the cans should lose their pressure. I have a can of
Prestone "Tuff Stuff" cleaner that's almost 40 years old and it still works.

The "loss of pressure" might not be that at all, but defective valves. I'd
be very cautious about puncturing these cans. Ask youself... How would Adam
and Jamie do it?

WIF MOAR DYNIEMITE! Which is probably not the right solution in this case.

--
Les Cargill

Posted to rec.audio.pro
gregz gregz is offline

mcp6453 wrote:
A number of years ago, I purchased a case of Cramolin CONTACLEAN, article number
1011412. The cans are aerosol. As luck would have it, most of the cans have lost
their pressurization. Is there any reason I cannot use a can opener to open the
cans and pour the cleaner into sealed bottles?

http://www.itwcp.de/detail-1011411-en.html

I don't think I have any cans around now. I remember the contents seem to
eat the cans crimps. Seems like I did empty one can. I don't really
recommend using it without cleaning it back off, as the directions say. It
will surely gum up stuff.

Greg
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message
I've got a better suggestion. I'd contact Caig and "urge" them to replace
the cans.

Good luck.

There's no reason the cans should lose their pressure.

Of course there is, the valves leak.

I have a can of
Prestone "Tuff Stuff" cleaner that's almost 40 years old and it still
works.

I've got 30 YO pressure cans that still work too, but have thrown FAR more
out that don't.

Trevor.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Trevor" wrote in message
"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message

There's no reason the cans should lose their pressure.

Of course there is, the valves leak.

I should have said "There's no /good/ reason."

I have a can of Prestone "Tuff Stuff" cleaner that's almost 40 years old
and it still works.

I've got 30 YO pressure cans that still work too, but have thrown FAR more
out that don't.

Nevertheless... Caig is responsible for the quality of its products. Caig
should be kicked. Hard. Their products are overpriced in the first place, so
they ought to be gracious about dead aerosol cans.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Sean Conolly Sean Conolly is offline

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message
mcp6453 wrote:
A number of years ago, I purchased a case of Cramolin CONTACLEAN, article
number
1011412. The cans are aerosol. As luck would have it, most of the cans
have lost
their pressurization. Is there any reason I cannot use a can opener to
open the
cans and pour the cleaner into sealed bottles?

http://www.itwcp.de/detail-1011411-en.html

You could probably do that, but you could also probably sell them on Ebay
for crazy amounts of money to audiophiles who believe cramolin is a
legendary
magical cleaning product that no longer exists.

I think we have a winner! Use the money to buy some better cleaner.

Sean

Posted to rec.audio.pro

mcp6453 wrote:
A number of years ago, I purchased a case of Cramolin CONTACLEAN, article
number
1011412. The cans are aerosol. As luck would have it, most of the cans
have lost
their pressurization. Is there any reason I cannot use a can opener to
open the
cans and pour the cleaner into sealed bottles?

http://www.itwcp.de/detail-1011411-en.html

You could probably do that, but you could also probably sell them on Ebay
for crazy amounts of money to audiophiles who believe cramolin is a
legendary
magical cleaning product that no longer exists.

I think we have a winner! Use the money to buy some better cleaner.

Like what? What's better than Cramolin?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
gregz gregz is offline

mcp6453 wrote:
A number of years ago, I purchased a case of Cramolin CONTACLEAN, article
number
1011412. The cans are aerosol. As luck would have it, most of the cans
have lost
their pressurization. Is there any reason I cannot use a can opener to
open the
cans and pour the cleaner into sealed bottles?

http://www.itwcp.de/detail-1011411-en.html

You could probably do that, but you could also probably sell them on Ebay
for crazy amounts of money to audiophiles who believe cramolin is a
legendary
magical cleaning product that no longer exists.

I think we have a winner! Use the money to buy some better cleaner.

Like what? What's better than Cramolin?

CRamolin has not been sold for at least ten years. Cramolin of Germany,
has been making and selling contaclean as a replacement. It does get
sticky. The original CRamolin did not seem to get sticky. Excuse the iPad.

Caig makes good stuff, sprays, liquids, lubes.

Greg
Posted to rec.audio.pro
gregz gregz is offline

"William Sommerwerck" wrote:
"Trevor" wrote in message
"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message

There's no reason the cans should lose their pressure.

Of course there is, the valves leak.

I should have said "There's no /good/ reason."

I have a can of Prestone "Tuff Stuff" cleaner that's almost 40 years old
and it still works.

I've got 30 YO pressure cans that still work too, but have thrown FAR more
out that don't.

Nevertheless... Caig is responsible for the quality of its products. Caig
should be kicked. Hard. Their products are overpriced in the first place, so
they ought to be gracious about dead aerosol cans.

Contaclean is NOT a caig product. It's made by CRamolin in Germany.

Yes, the cans can leak on the bottom perimeter.

Greg
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 3/2/2012 9:02 PM, gregz wrote:
"William Sommerwerck" wrote:
"Trevor" wrote in message
"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message

There's no reason the cans should lose their pressure.

Of course there is, the valves leak.

I should have said "There's no /good/ reason."

I have a can of Prestone "Tuff Stuff" cleaner that's almost 40 years old
and it still works.

I've got 30 YO pressure cans that still work too, but have thrown FAR more
out that don't.

Nevertheless... Caig is responsible for the quality of its products. Caig
should be kicked. Hard. Their products are overpriced in the first place, so
they ought to be gracious about dead aerosol cans.

Contaclean is NOT a caig product. It's made by CRamolin in Germany.

Yes, the cans can leak on the bottom perimeter.

Should I throw them away? They are leaking on the bottom perimeter.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
gregz gregz is offline

mcp6453 wrote:
On 3/2/2012 9:02 PM, gregz wrote:
"William Sommerwerck" wrote:
"Trevor" wrote in message
"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message

There's no reason the cans should lose their pressure.

Of course there is, the valves leak.

I should have said "There's no /good/ reason."

I have a can of Prestone "Tuff Stuff" cleaner that's almost 40 years old
and it still works.

I've got 30 YO pressure cans that still work too, but have thrown FAR more
out that don't.

Nevertheless... Caig is responsible for the quality of its products. Caig
should be kicked. Hard. Their products are overpriced in the first place, so
they ought to be gracious about dead aerosol cans.

Contaclean is NOT a caig product. It's made by CRamolin in Germany.

Yes, the cans can leak on the bottom perimeter.

Should I throw them away? They are leaking on the bottom perimeter.

I would try to get some liquid out carefully. If it's thick, add it to
alcohol. If it does not spray, it's probably depressurized.

Greg
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 3/2/2012 10:47 PM, gregz wrote:
mcp6453 wrote:
On 3/2/2012 9:02 PM, gregz wrote:
"William Sommerwerck" wrote:
"Trevor" wrote in message
[...]

I'm sure I can get it out. I'm one of those people who thinks the stuff is
magic. At least the Caig Cramolin with Freon was magic. It solved a major
problem for me that I couldn't solve any other way. (A console had a power
supply with the regulator on a plug in circuit board with unplated fingers. When
I sprayed the contacts with Cramolin, the problem went down by 50%. The next
day, the hum was completely gone. It never came back.)

Now you guys have made me wonder whether this stuff is worth the trouble.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

"mcp6453" wrote in message
I'm sure I can get it out. I'm one of those people who thinks the stuff is
magic. At least the Caig Cramolin with Freon was magic.

Freon CFC was magic for cleaning without residue (now banned) and that has
obviously all leaked away into the atmosphere. Whatever is left may not be
very magic at all.
(I admit I have no idea since I've never used it with or without Freon.)

Trevor.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
PStamler PStamler is offline

On Mar 3, 12:24*am, "Trevor" wrote:
I'm sure I can get it out. I'm one of those people who thinks the stuff is
magic. At least the Caig Cramolin with Freon was magic.

Freon CFC was magic for cleaning without residue (now banned) and that has
obviously all leaked away into the atmosphere. Whatever is left may not be
very magic at all.
(I admit I have no idea since I've never used it with or without Freon.)

I did. It kept some aged Norelco cameras at Channel Nine running for
several years. When the boards got wonky we'd pull them and use a
little Cramolin to clean the (unplated) fingers. It worked wonders.

Wasn't too shabby on audio gear either. And it once got my VW running
when it wouldn't start.

Peace,
Paul
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 3/2/2012 10:51 PM, mcp6453 wrote:

Caig Cramolin with Freon was magic. It solved a major
problem for me that I couldn't solve any other way. (A console had a power
supply with the regulator on a plug in circuit board with unplated fingers. When
I sprayed the contacts with Cramolin, the problem went down by 50%. The next
day, the hum was completely gone. It never came back.)

For a problem like that, you might try Stabilant 22. It's a
"contact enhancer" and it's not made from 100% snake oil,
maybe 60 or 70%. ')

of audio." - John Watkinson

interesting audio stuff
Posted to rec.audio.pro

gregz wrote:
CRamolin has not been sold for at least ten years. Cramolin of Germany,
has been making and selling contaclean as a replacement. It does get
sticky. The original CRamolin did not seem to get sticky. Excuse the iPad.

The original Cramolin red was oleic acid with a little sudan red, and
TF as the vehicle, at least according to the prewar German patent.

My guess is that the new Contaclean and Deoxit are probably the same thing
with a different vehicle. However, that difference could be important.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

I'm sure I can get it out. I'm one of those people who thinks the stuff is
magic. At least the Caig Cramolin with Freon was magic. It solved a major
problem for me that I couldn't solve any other way. (A console had a power
supply with the regulator on a plug in circuit board with unplated

fingers.
When I sprayed the contacts with Cramolin, the problem went down by 50%.
The next day, the hum was completely gone. It never came back.)

I had a similar experience with a KLH Model Eight. Cleaning the volume
control with the current version cleared up a hum problem.

Now you guys have made me wonder whether this stuff is worth the trouble.

The spray has two functions: It lets you inject the stuff where you couldn't
otherwise reach, and it flushes any schmutz (which is independent of the
Cramolin's action).

Why not get a bottle of the 100% pure stuff? (It has a needle dispenser.)
It's not cheap, but it's cheaper per application than the spray.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

Les Cargill wrote:

William Sommerwerck wrote:
I've got a better suggestion. I'd contact Caig and "urge" them to replace
the cans.

There's no reason the cans should lose their pressure. I have a can of
Prestone "Tuff Stuff" cleaner that's almost 40 years old and it still works.

The "loss of pressure" might not be that at all, but defective valves. I'd
be very cautious about puncturing these cans. Ask youself... How would Adam
and Jamie do it?

WIF MOAR DYNIEMITE! Which is probably not the right solution in this case.

Hear that train a' comin'
It's the Cannonball Express
And when it hits yer window
It's a gonna make a mess

http://www.youtube.com/walkinaymusic
http://www.sonicbids.com/HankandShaidri
Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

Scott Dorsey wrote:

In article ,
mcp6453 wrote:
A number of years ago, I purchased a case of Cramolin CONTACLEAN, article
number 1011412. The cans are aerosol. As luck would have it, most of the
cans have lost their pressurization. Is there any reason I cannot use a
can opener to open the cans and pour the cleaner into sealed bottles?

http://www.itwcp.de/detail-1011411-en.html

You could probably do that, but you could also probably sell them on Ebay
for crazy amounts of money to audiophiles who believe cramolin is a legendary
magical cleaning product that no longer exists.
--scott

There can be a lot of money in religion!

http://www.youtube.com/walkinaymusic
http://www.sonicbids.com/HankandShaidri
Posted to rec.audio.pro
gregz gregz is offline

"Trevor" wrote:
"mcp6453" wrote in message
I'm sure I can get it out. I'm one of those people who thinks the stuff is
magic. At least the Caig Cramolin with Freon was magic.

Freon CFC was magic for cleaning without residue (now banned) and that has
obviously all leaked away into the atmosphere. Whatever is left may not be
very magic at all.
(I admit I have no idea since I've never used it with or without Freon.)

Trevor.

I never had a spray can of cramolin, just the dropper. There was no freon
in that. Caig stopped importing it, even though cramolin company agreed to
omit the freon.
Contaclean has another gas.

Greg
Posted to rec.audio.pro

gregz wrote:

I never had a spray can of cramolin, just the dropper. There was no freon
in that. Caig stopped importing it, even though cramolin company agreed to
omit the freon.

My guess is that Caig stopped importing it because they figured a way to
make something very similar without paying Cramolin licensing fees.

Contaclean has another gas.

My guess is it's hexane or something similar, it definitely takes longer
to evaporate and is harder on styrene than TF.

c9 rmt c9 rmt is offline
Banned

Location: fno rmt 相場
Send a message via AIM to c9 rmt

It’s truly a fantastic and helpful piece of information. I’m pleased which you just shared this valuable information with us. Please stay us informed like this. Thank you for sharing.

c9 rmt
ルーセントハート rmt
アイオン rmt
タルタロス rmt