Posted to rec.audio.pro
mcp6453[_2_] mcp6453[_2_] is offline

Default Shure X2U

Does anyone here have any experience with the Shure X2U XLR to USB adapter? My
first one had what sounded like a high frequency oscillation that manifested
itself as a loud hiss. Shure replaced it. I don't know if the old one did this,
but the new one is difficult to set the mic gain correctly. The gain changes
dramatically at the top end of movement of the gain pot. The gain (as viewed in
Audition) goes from -12 to DFS with a very slight movement of the gain control.
I'm using it with a dynamic mic.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

On 2/24/2012 7:41 AM, mcp6453 wrote:

but the new one is difficult to set the mic gain correctly. The gain changes
dramatically at the top end of movement of the gain pot.

This seems to be how the industry is making inexpensive mic
preamps (which this is) nowadays. The same is true with a
lot of the small mixers and USB/Firewire audio I/O
interfaces. Nobody makes an off-the-shelf pot with a taper
that gives a more uniform gain adjustment and at that price
point they can't afford to have a custom part designed and
built.

Do what real engineers do. Don't push the level when you
record. Better for it to be too low and need boosting on
playback or mixing than to have it too high and clip the A/D
converter on peaks.

For what it's worth, I have a CEntrance MicPort Pro which is
essentially what Shure made with their in-line mic-USB
adapter, and its gain control isn't terribly finicky. I
wouldn't suggest that you switch horses over this, though.
Just work with the Shure as it is and learn how to get good
results with it. Judge by the sound, not by how loud the
playback is (you have a playback volume control, don't you?)
or how wide the squiggles on the waveform graphic are.

of audio." - John Watkinson

interesting audio stuff
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 2/24/2012 11:41 PM, Mike Rivers wrote:
[...]

Because the X2U is a cheap preamp, the signal-to-noise ratio is not good with
the gain set to a low level. The problem is that low is VERY low. There is
almost no in between. Shure should be ashamed of themselves.

The Blue Icicle is not as finicky and is 1/3 the price.

For this application, I'm going to solve the problem by using an RNP and a
Roland UA-1G converter. I may send the X2U back again, just in case there is
something wrong with it. It's a handy device to have.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Sat, 25 Feb 2012 08:31:16 -0500, mcp6453 wrote:

[...]

The RNP, despite its reputation, has a poor SNR at ALL gain levels. If
noise is your problem (and I really don't understand how it is given
that you need to reduce gain), then the RNP is not where you should be
looking.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 2/25/2012 9:01 AM, Don Pearce wrote:

The RNP, despite its reputation, has a poor SNR at ALL gain levels. If
noise is your problem (and I really don't understand how it is given
that you need to reduce gain), then the RNP is not where you should be
looking.

When using the X2U, the gain setting controls in Windows are disabled. The only
gain control is on the X2U. At least that's the way things are on my system. So,
when the gain jumps to max on the X2U, it's clipping at DFS. When the level is
inched down, it jumps way down.

When the level on the X2U is correct, which is achievable but difficult and
touchy, the SNR is okay. It's definitely worse than the RNP, which I already have.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Sean Conolly Sean Conolly is offline

"Don Pearce" wrote in message
On Sat, 25 Feb 2012 08:31:16 -0500, mcp6453 wrote:

The RNP, despite its reputation, has a poor SNR at ALL gain levels. If
noise is your problem (and I really don't understand how it is given
that you need to reduce gain), then the RNP is not where you should be
looking.

ALL gain levels? I beg to differ - it's a little noisier than some, which
you can clearly hear on the highest gain settings, but it's fine at more
moderate gains. Too noisely for a ribbon mic, but fine for a typical dynamic
or condensor, IMHO.

Sean

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 2/25/2012 8:31 AM, mcp6453 wrote:

The Blue Icicle is not as finicky and is 1/3 the price.

For this application, I'm going to solve the problem by using an RNP and a
Roland UA-1G converter. I may send the X2U back again, just in case there is
something wrong with it. It's a handy device to have.

Try a CEntrance MicPort Pro. That was the first one of these
gadgets to the market and it's probably the best because it
didn't have to be cheaper than anyone else.

of audio." - John Watkinson

interesting audio stuff
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 2/25/2012 10:19 AM, mcp6453 wrote:

When using the X2U, the gain setting controls in Windows are disabled. The only
gain control is on the X2U. At least that's the way things are on my system. So,
when the gain jumps to max on the X2U, it's clipping at DFS. When the level is
inched down, it jumps way down.

Is this Windows 7? I wonder if Windows thinks it's a mic
input device. I was helping a neighbor of mine through a
"too much gain" problem with his M-Audio interface when he
got a new computer with Windows 7 pre-installed. I found
something in the Windows Control Panel that somehow decided
that it was a microphone and therefore needed a gain boost
(which would explain the poor noise performance at low gain).

Yours might be like that and you'll have to figure out how
to disable that gain boost setting. I can't remember how I
did it. That's the trouble with Windows - once I stumble
across a solution, it's so unintuitive that I don't remember
it.

of audio." - John Watkinson

interesting audio stuff

Shure KSM-44 adam79 Pro Audio 3 December 19th 07 07:31 PM
Shure E3, E3c or E3g?? Dave Pro Audio 2 September 8th 06 04:34 PM
Shure E2C Michael Sovitzky High End Audio 1 May 19th 05 01:01 AM
Which Is Better For Live Singing - Shure SM58 or Shure Beta 58 Mack Pro Audio 6 September 3rd 04 08:19 PM
shure sm7 barabis Pro Audio 5 December 11th 03 05:51 PM