Posted to rec.audio.car
George Neuner George Neuner is offline

Default Clean/demagnetize in-dash cassette player

Hi all,

I have an older BMW (E36) with an in-dash cassette player.

I've been using a cassette adapter for MP3 for many years which I tend
to leave in the tape deck - I haven't played an actual cassette tape
in probably a decade. But recently I've been getting a lot of static
from the tape deck. I checked the adapter in another cassette player
and it was OK, so I believe the tape deck is dirty or magnetized.

Problem: the unit won't play a cleaning tape. It runs for 2 seconds,
reverses for 2 seconds and then "tape error" appears on the radio
display. In other tape players the cleaning tape runs for 20+
seconds. I've tried a few different cleaning tapes with no luck.

I have a demagnetizing wand which I stuck it in as far as possible and
waved around for a couple of minutes, but the loading mechanism
retracts and drops behind the display panel so I can't physically get
to the head, capstan or rollers. My attempt at demagnetizing improved
the situation somewhat, but there is still quite a bit of static
coming from the tape deck.

Is there some special kind of cleaning tape for auto cassette players?
All the advice online is to just get a cleaning tape from Radio Shack
(or wherever) and run it. That doesn't seem to work.

I had the tape deck cleaned by the dealer many years ago, but they
charged an obscene amount (even then) for doing so. The car is in
good shape and I'd like to sell it if possible, but I'd like the
stupid tape deck to work if someone tries it and I'd rather not pay
$270/hr for a dealer technician to pull the deck and clean it.

Any advice?
George
Posted to rec.audio.car
g g is offline

On Apr 19, 6:16*pm, George Neuner wrote:
[...]

Old machines are likely not to pull tape.

You mean you can't stick an alcohol q tip and clean the head?

Greg
Posted to rec.audio.car
g g is offline

On Apr 19, 8:05*pm, G wrote:
[...]

Oh, you could try lengthening the demag by taping a piece of steel
along the side of present probe, if isn't the loop type.

Greg
Posted to rec.audio.car

On Tue, 19 Apr 2011 17:08:35 -0700 (PDT), G wrote:

On Apr 19, 8:05*pm, G wrote:

Old machines are likely not to pull tape.

Yes, I know that old players can have problems. I tried playing an
audio tape - I don't know if it would continue to pull evenly through
a whole tape but it worked fine for a couple of minutes.

It just seems to purposely reject cleaning tapes. The ones I have all
work (not stuck or anything) ... I checked them with another tape
deck.

You mean you can't stick an alcohol q tip and clean the head?

Can't reach anything. Behind the door is a motorized cage that holds
the tape and retracts downward behind the front panel to reach the
mechanism. That cage is blocking all access ... can't even see the
mechanism.

Oh, you could try lengthening the demag by taping a piece of steel
along the side of present probe, if isn't the loop type.

The one I have is a 6 inch plastic wand with the wire loop embedded.
It's long enough to reach, but I can't get it past the cage.

Greg

George