Posted to rec.audio.tech
Edward R Morris Edward R Morris is offline

Default stand alone cd burner?

Does anyone know a cd burner that can be attached to the tape outputs of an
integrated amplifier so one doesn't have to use a computer to copy LP to CD?

Thanks for any info,
Edward Morris

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Dave Platt Dave Platt is offline

In article ,
Edward R Morris wrote:

Does anyone know a cd burner that can be attached to the tape outputs of an
integrated amplifier so one doesn't have to use a computer to copy LP to CD?

A Google search on the phrase "CD recorder" brings up a bunch.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Geoff Geoff is offline

Edward R Morris wrote:
Does anyone know a cd burner that can be attached to the tape outputs
of an integrated amplifier so one doesn't have to use a computer to
copy LP to CD?

Thanks for any info,
Edward Morris

There are dozens:

try googling "CD Recorder".

However they often require "Audio CD-R" blanks that cost a premium, and you
only get one shot at level-setting, and cannot change it afterwards.

Also you forgo the opportunity to put track markers where you want after
consideration, and cannot do any de-clicking etc. Computer route is far
better in most instances.

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.tech
AZ Nomad AZ Nomad is offline

On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 20:30:39 -0600, Edward R Morris wrote:
Does anyone know a cd burner that can be attached to the tape outputs of an
integrated amplifier so one doesn't have to use a computer to copy LP to CD?

Does anybody know how to do a websearch?

Posted to rec.audio.tech

wrote:

Does anyone know a cd burner that can be attached to the tape outputs of an
integrated amplifier so one doesn't have to use a computer to copy LP to CD?

There certainly are such critters, even now in the era of
dead-cheap PC burn-everything drives, but there's an issue
with available media.

It's getting more and more difficult to buy blank media
that works optimally with "1X" "real-time" writing.

Seems there're engineering compromises and balances
between writing at lower and at higher speed. Everybody
wants to write at higher speed these days; go figure.
But it means that optimal real-time media is harder
to find. Not impossible, but you'll have to look.

All good fortune,

Chris Hornbeck

"There's little that's impossible, but it becomes more complicated if
you move between different systems." - Mike Rivers, in another context

Posted to rec.audio.tech

Chris Hornbeck wrote:

Does anyone know a cd burner that can be attached to the tape outputs of an
integrated amplifier so one doesn't have to use a computer to copy LP to CD?

There certainly are such critters, even now in the era of
dead-cheap PC burn-everything drives, but there's an issue
with available media.

It's getting more and more difficult to buy blank media
that works optimally with "1X" "real-time" writing.

Seems there're engineering compromises and balances
between writing at lower and at higher speed. Everybody
wants to write at higher speed these days; go figure.
But it means that optimal real-time media is harder
to find. Not impossible, but you'll have to look.

HHB seems to specialize in offering media which are specifically
intended for good results at low burning speeds. I believe that some
of the product lines by MAM (Mitsui Audio Media) are also optimized
for lower-speed burning.

They aren't cheap (one vendor sells the 80-minute inkjet-printable
HHB variety for around $1 each in 100-disc quantities).

But, if you're going to spend close to an hour per CD when recording
in real-time, it might not be a bad idea to stick with quality media
known to be compatible with this sort of equipment. Having to do-over
because of a bad burn would be seriously irritating!

--
Dave Platt AE6EO
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Edward R Morris Edward R Morris is offline

Thank you Chris. It seems that AZ Nomad hasn't tried googling when he
doesn't even know what to Google for. Chris, thanks for guiding me in the
right direction.

Eddie

wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Edward R Morris" wrote in message

Does anyone know a cd burner that can be attached to the
tape outputs of an integrated amplifier so one doesn't
have to use a computer to copy LP to CD?

Yes, they are called stand-alone audio CD recorders.

They come in two styles:

consumer, which requires special CD-R blanks that have had a royalty paid on
them

professional, which use the same CD-R blanks as computers

Consumer audio CD burners have pretty well dropped from the marketplace.

I've used such devices made by Sony, HHB, and Tascam. I prefer the Tascam
burners, because they finalize about twice as fast.

That all said, I'd never use one to transcribe a LP. Computers are easier to
use, and more flexible.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

"Mark D. Zacharias" wrote in message
I know of no DVD recorders that record audio on an audio CD.

Obviously computer drives do, so standalones are a possibility.

What is possible, and what is actually available because there is a
(perceived) market for it, are often two different things though.

MrT.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Mr.T" MrT@home wrote in message
u...

"Mark D. Zacharias" wrote in message
I know of no DVD recorders that record audio on an audio CD.

Obviously computer drives do, so standalones are a possibility.

Furhtermore, a lot of stand-alone DVD recorders are essentially
special-purpose computers and do use computer-style DVD drives, right down
to the IDE interface.

What is possible, and what is actually available because there is a
(perceived) market for it, are often two different things though.

Agreed. At this point, the only difference would be a small change to the
software for the DVD recorder's little computer.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Dave Platt Dave Platt is offline

In article ,
Arny Krueger wrote:

Also, dual-use CD-R media is becoming common.

Meaning exactly what?

Meaning that I can buy compatible audio/data cd-r media at Walmart (or
elsewhere) for little to no additional cost. Instead of stating "Audio" or
"Data" on the package, it says instead "Dual-Use".

Oh yes. I've used audio CDs for recording data and it always works. I had to
educate my children that data CDs worked for music in their PCs. One
actually bought me a pack as a Christmas present. The price premium isn't
that bad any more.

Sure.

The primary technical difference between "consumer audio digital
recording media", and generic CD-R discs, is a small bit of data
encoded into the premastering area. Audio discs have a type code of
"unrestricted use", while generic data CDs have a type code of
"restricted use, general purpose".

Consumer-audio audio CD recorders check the media code in the ATIP
data, and won't burn to a "restricted use" disc.

I've never seen a computer CD-R burner which cared about the
difference (although almost all can read out the ATIP data on software
command).

There need not be (and often aren't) any other physical or technical
differences between the two types of discs.

In some cases (I don't know how many) the consumer-audio discs may be
optimized for burning at lower speeds, using thicker longer-laser-
exposure dyes. In most cases, though, I believe that they're made
with the same sorts of dyes, on the same equipment, as generic data
CDs - only the ATIP data molded into the pregroove wobble on the
stamper is different.

The price differential doesn't need to be high... the AHRA royalty
rate on digital audio recording media is 3% of the transfer price
(think "wholesale"). The retail difference is usually much higher,
but this has a lot more to do with marketing and distribution issues
(and "what the traffic will bear") than it does with the legal
obligation to pay royalty.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Geoff Geoff is offline

Dave Platt wrote:

The price differential doesn't need to be high... the AHRA royalty
rate on digital audio recording media is 3% of the transfer price
(think "wholesale"). The retail difference is usually much higher,
but this has a lot more to do with marketing and distribution issues
(and "what the traffic will bear") than it does with the legal
obligation to pay royalty.

Which is, as always, totally whacky cos stand-alone CD Recorders are almost
unversally used to record private stuff, and computer drives do near all of
the copyright-protected copying !

goff

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
. ..
I know of no DVD recorders that record audio on an audio CD.

Obviously computer drives do, so standalones are a possibility.

Furhtermore, a lot of stand-alone DVD recorders are essentially
special-purpose computers and do use computer-style DVD drives, right down
to the IDE interface.

What is possible, and what is actually available because there is a
(perceived) market for it, are often two different things though.

Agreed. At this point, the only difference would be a small change to the
software for the DVD recorder's little computer.

Agreed, but I still don't know of any, do you?
(not that I would ever use, or even suggest such a device for transcribing
vinyl myself)

MrT.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Mr.T" MrT@home wrote in message
"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
. ..
I know of no DVD recorders that record audio on an
audio CD.

Obviously computer drives do, so standalones are a
possibility.

Furhtermore, a lot of stand-alone DVD recorders are
essentially special-purpose computers and do use
computer-style DVD drives, right down to the IDE
interface.

What is possible, and what is actually available
because there is a (perceived) market for it, are often
two different things though.

Agreed. At this point, the only difference would be a
small change to the software for the DVD recorder's
little computer.

Agreed, but I still don't know of any, do you?

No, and the absence of a CD burning feature is almost a mystery. I
personally think that the bizarre way that the burning of audio CDs is
legally licensed has something to do with it.

(not that I would ever use, or even suggest such a device
for transcribing vinyl myself)

Agreed.

Looking back at recent history, the people who promoted PCs and the Internet
have been able to grant themselves amazing freedom from legal constaints,
such as the ability to do retail sales without collection state sales tax.
Their other freedom has been the ability to characterize audio and video
production equipment that easily circumvents IP rights as being
"professional" and therefore exempt.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

"Arny Krueger" wrote ...
Looking back at recent history, the people who promoted PCs and the
Internet have been able to grant themselves amazing freedom from legal
constaints, such as the ability to do retail sales without collection
state sales tax.

Not really. Interstate sales (via telephone, snail-mail, etc.)
were not subject to state sales tax either. The internet did
nothing to change that except add a new form of contact.
The tax-n-spend politicians were the ones pushing for an
"internet tax" just because it was a new source of draining
more revenue from the populous, not because they were
actually adding any value to society.

What you refer to as "amazing freedoms" were called
"inalienable rights" in the Constitution. I think we have
a serious problem remembering what that means these
days.

CD Burner questions Rick Ruskin Pro Audio 34 September 9th 05 02:04 PM
Best CD burner around now ? William Sommerwerck Pro Audio 4 November 18th 04 03:41 PM
FS : HHB 850 CD Burner dansisler Marketplace 0 October 19th 04 11:44 PM
8X DVD Burner? Blind Joni Pro Audio 44 September 16th 04 04:10 AM
CD Burner Geoley Pro Audio 5 November 19th 03 03:41 AM