Posted to rec.audio.pro
adam adam is offline

Default mBox and SPDIF

hey, like the title says i own a mbox 2. It has two XLR/1/4" inputs and one
sereo spdif connection. I want to use the left/right spdif inputs as
separate mono tracks while recording (pan one channel to the left and the
other to the right on the mixing board (Mackie 1202-VLZ PRO). Is there any
type of connection/converter i can use to complete this task?
Thanks,
-Adam

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Travis Garrison Travis Garrison is offline

On Mar 22, 5:07 pm, "Adam" wrote:
hey, like the title says i own a mbox 2. It has two XLR/1/4" inputs and one
sereo spdif connection. I want to use the left/right spdif inputs as
separate mono tracks while recording (pan one channel to the left and the
other to the right on the mixing board (Mackie 1202-VLZ PRO). Is there any
type of connection/converter i can use to complete this task?
Thanks,
-Adam

Your Mackie 1202 only has analog outputs, and S/PDIF is a digital
format. So what you're looking for is a 2-channel AD (analog to
digital) converter with a S/PDIF output. If you're looking for top-
notch conversion, take a look at something like an Apogee Rosetta 200
or a Benchmark ADC1. Unfortunately, there really isn't much under the
$1000 mark. In a pinch, you could pick up an old DAT machine and use
it as a converter. I've done that before with decent results.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

On Mar 22, 5:07 pm, "Adam" wrote:

I want to use the left/right spdif inputs as
separate mono tracks while recording (pan one channel to the left and the
other to the right on the mixing board (Mackie 1202-VLZ PRO). Is there any
type of connection/converter i can use to complete this task?

Yes, you need an analog-to-digital (A/D) converter to go between the
outputs of your mixer and the S/PDIF inputs of your M-Box.
Unfortunately the universe of inexpensive A/D converters seem to have
been destroyed by Klingons or something. The M-Audio Flying Cow no
longer exists and so many devices have built-in A/D converters (like
your M-Box) that the stand-alone A/D is reserved for premium products
that are there because they sound better than a lot of the built-ins
in inexpensive computer audio interfaces.

One device that might work for you is the Behringer Ultramatch Pro
SRC2496. It's designed to be a sample rate and word length converter,
but it has both analog and digital inputs and outputs, so you can use
it as an A/D converter (as well as n D/A converter should you need
it). It's pretty cheap, about $150, and looks like it will give you
what you're looking for.

http://www.behringer.com/SRC2496/index.cfm?lang=ENG

But before you place your order, verify (or wait for someone to pop up
and confirm) that you can use the analog and digital inputs on the M-
Box simultaneously - I guess this is what you're after. It may be an
either/or thing, or it may be the route to four input channels. I
don't know.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Federico Federico is offline

One device that might work for you is the Behringer Ultramatch Pro
SRC2496. It's designed to be a sample rate and word length converter,
but it has both analog and digital inputs and outputs, so you can use
it as an A/D converter (as well as n D/A converter should you need
it). It's pretty cheap, about $150, and looks like it will give you
what you're looking for.

http://www.behringer.com/SRC2496/index.cfm?lang=ENG

I own a SCR2496 and I played with it spending 350$ to upgrade it....
Originally it sounded good, better then I thought, expecially the DA stage.
After the upgrade the results are incredible! But I can't get to cancel the
Behringer sign on the front... :-)
F.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Raw-Tracks Raw-Tracks is offline
Senior Member

Adam wrote:
hey, like the title says i own a mbox 2. It has two XLR/1/4" inputs and one
sereo spdif connection. I want to use the left/right spdif inputs as
separate mono tracks while recording (pan one channel to the left and the
other to the right on the mixing board (Mackie 1202-VLZ PRO). Is there any
type of connection/converter i can use to complete this task?

I'm pretty sure that you can't use the S/PDIF inputs at the same time as
the analog inputs.

--
Eric

Practice Your Mixing Skills
Download Our Multi-Track Masters
www.Raw-Tracks.com
www.Mad-Host.com

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Preben Friis Preben Friis is offline

"Raw-Tracks" wrote

I'm pretty sure that you can't use the S/PDIF inputs at the same time as
the analog inputs.

Wrong.

One of the major differences between the original MBox and MBox2 is: "4
simultaneous channels of input using both analog and digital I/O".

/Preben Friis

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Raw-Tracks Raw-Tracks is offline
Senior Member

Preben Friis wrote:
"Raw-Tracks" wrote

I'm pretty sure that you can't use the S/PDIF inputs at the same time as
the analog inputs.

Wrong.

One of the major differences between the original MBox and MBox2 is: "4
simultaneous channels of input using both analog and digital I/O".

/Preben Friis

Oops, you're correct. I was thinking he had the mBox1. I missed where he
said he had the mBox2. Sorry.

Mbox 2 PLM Pro Audio 1 January 21st 07 12:43 AM
mixer to replace mbox or work with mbox, for simulataneous multitracks jackson Pro Audio 1 February 25th 05 07:20 PM
mbox with an old G4 Jon Grey Pro Audio 14 November 18th 04 01:26 AM
mbox with an old G4 Jon Grey Pro Audio 0 November 15th 04 02:28 AM
About Mbox Eduardo Camargo Pro Audio 9 August 6th 03 01:40 AM