Pultec EQP clone problem

Old February 5th 21, 12:29 AM posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Pultec EQP clone problem

gareth magennis is a total IDIOT wrote:

==================================

> > > Oh well, I tried.

> > ** ROTFL !!!!
> >
> > The only thing this tedious prick " tried " was to bull**** his way out of admitting his massive incompetency.
> >

> OK, briefly,
>
> I talked at length to the customer today.
> His experience of this "motorboating" was an oscillation around 90 Hz.

** Jesus ****ing Christ - STOP using the wrong names for things. !!

Does a motorboat sound like a 90 Hz tone to you ???

** Absolute ******** !!!

> I was incorrect in assuming this mod was to guard against HF oscillations.

** That may be the one thing you got correct.

> 2. The thing with the added capacitors and resistors is to properly load the output stages, which would solve a buzz you might hear if you run long output cables.

** So it is now a "buzz" - not a motorboat sound.

Sounds *hell of a lot* like " parasitic oscillations " which can be discontinuous.

If so, despite being in the supersonic range may generate an audible buzz at some rate.

FFS leave audio alone, your broom awaits.

....... Phil

Old February 5th 21, 12:45 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
gareth magennis

On Thursday, 4 February 2021 at 23:29:41 UTC, wrote:
> gareth magennis is a total IDIOT wrote:
>
> ==================================

> > > ** ROTFL !!!!
> > >
> > > The only thing this tedious prick " tried " was to bull**** his way out of admitting his massive incompetency.
> > >

> > OK, briefly,
> >
> > I talked at length to the customer today.
> > His experience of this "motorboating" was an oscillation around 90 Hz.
> >

> ** Jesus ****ing Christ - STOP using the wrong names for things. !!
>
> Does a motorboat sound like a 90 Hz tone to you ???
> > I had an email converation with the company today.
> > They say they had problems with the first batch of units that would oscillate around 90 Hz when connected to a remote patchbay.

> ** Absolute ******** !!!
> > I was incorrect in assuming this mod was to guard against HF oscillations.

> ** That may be the one thing you got correct.
> > 2. The thing with the added capacitors and resistors is to properly load the output stages, which would solve a buzz you might hear if you run long output cables.

> ** So it is now a "buzz" - not a motorboat sound.
>
> Sounds *hell of a lot* like " parasitic oscillations " which can be discontinuous.
>
> If so, despite being in the supersonic range may generate an audible buzz at some rate.
>
> FFS leave audio alone, your broom awaits.
>

> ...... Phil

Phil,
read this carefully, this is what I said.

> I talked at length to the customer today.
> His experience of this "motorboating" was an oscillation around 90 Hz.

Do you see the quote marks around motorboating?

I haven't experienced any such oscillations, all I have done is to quote the customer who has claimed "motorboating".

Today I learned that this "motorboating" he experienced was in fact a 90 Hz oscillation.

Your reply to this information was:

** Jesus ****ing Christ - STOP using the wrong names for things. !!

Does a motorboat sound like a 90 Hz tone to you ???

Arguing semantics here is not very helpful, is it.
I know you're better than that.
Old February 5th 21, 01:19 AM posted to rec.audio.pro

**** off Nut Case TROLL !!

=====================
> > I talked at length to the customer today.
> > > His experience of this "motorboating" was an oscillation around 90 Hz.
> > >

> > ** Jesus ****ing Christ - STOP using the wrong names for things. !!
> >
> > Does a motorboat sound like a 90 Hz tone to you ???
> > > I had an email converation with the company today.
> > > They say they had problems with the first batch of units that would oscillate around 90 Hz when connected to a remote patchbay.

> > ** Absolute ******** !!!
> > > I was incorrect in assuming this mod was to guard against HF oscillations.

> > ** That may be the one thing you got correct.
> > > 2. The thing with the added capacitors and resistors is to properly load the output stages, which would solve a buzz you might hear if you run long output cables.

> > ** So it is now a "buzz" - not a motorboat sound.
> >
> > Sounds *hell of a lot* like " parasitic oscillations " which can be discontinuous.
> >
> > If so, despite being in the supersonic range may generate an audible buzz at some rate.
> >
> > FFS leave audio alone, your broom awaits.

il

** Get ****ed you smug pile of ****.

> Do you see the quote marks around motorboating?

** Means nothing to me.

Cos a customer uses a totally wrong name does not excuse you doing it.

So far, YOU have NOT ONCE used the right name !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

> I haven't experienced any such oscillations, all I have done is to quote the customer who has claimed "motorboating".

** Quoting bull**** on usenet is not a good idea - ****head.

Why did you *never* ask them to *explain* what the noise sounded like ???

Because you are an ASD ****ed idiot - that's why.

> ** Jesus ****ing Christ - STOP using the wrong names for things. !!
>
> Does a motorboat sound like a 90 Hz tone to you ???

> Arguing semantics here is not very helpful,

** This has not one tiny thing to do with ****ing "semantics" !!!!!!!!!

Get a BIG dictionary and shove it you your stupid fat arse !!!

....... Phil
Old February 5th 21, 01:25 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
gareth magennis

On Friday, 5 February 2021 at 00:19:50 UTC, wrote:
> **** off Nut Case TROLL !!
>
> =====================
> > > I talked at length to the customer today.
> > > >
> > > ** Jesus ****ing Christ - STOP using the wrong names for things. !!
> > >
> > > Does a motorboat sound like a 90 Hz tone to you ???
> > > ** Absolute ******** !!!
> > > ** That may be the one thing you got correct.
> > > ** So it is now a "buzz" - not a motorboat sound.
> > >
> > > Sounds *hell of a lot* like " parasitic oscillations " which can be discontinuous.
> > >
> > > If so, despite being in the supersonic range may generate an audible buzz at some rate.
> > >
> > > FFS leave audio alone, your broom awaits.
> > >

> il
> > Phil,
> > read this carefully, this is what I said.

> ** Get ****ed you smug pile of ****.
> > Do you see the quote marks around motorboating?

> ** Means nothing to me.
>
> Cos a customer uses a totally wrong name does not excuse you doing it.
>
> So far, YOU have NOT ONCE used the right name !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
> > I haven't experienced any such oscillations, all I have done is to quote the customer who has claimed "motorboating".

> ** Quoting bull**** on usenet is not a good idea - ****head.
>
> Why did you *never* ask them to *explain* what the noise sounded like ???
>
> Because you are an ASD ****ed idiot - that's why.
> > ** Jesus ****ing Christ - STOP using the wrong names for things. !!
> >
> > Does a motorboat sound like a 90 Hz tone to you ???

> > Arguing semantics here is not very helpful,

> ** This has not one tiny thing to do with ****ing "semantics" !!!!!!!!!
>
> Get a BIG dictionary and shove it you your stupid fat arse !!!
>

> ...... Phil

Here's a thought.

90Hz equates to 5400 rpm.

That sounds like a small outboard motor to me.

Night.
Old February 5th 21, 02:30 AM posted to rec.audio.pro

gareth magennis ned shooting :

> > ** This has not one tiny thing to do with ****ing "semantics" !!!!!!!!!
> >
> > Get a BIG dictionary and shove it you your stupid fat arse !!!
> >

> > ...... Phil

> Here's a thought.

** You do not have any cos you' re a mental retard.

> 90Hz equates to 5400 rpm.
>
> That sounds like a small outboard motor to me.

** But the sound is ****ing BUZZ not a tone of any kind !!!!!

FOAD moron.

..... Phil

Old February 6th 21, 01:20 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
gareth magennis

On Friday, 5 February 2021 at 01:30:29 UTC, wrote:
> gareth magennis ned shooting :
> > > ** This has not one tiny thing to do with ****ing "semantics" !!!!!!!!!
> > >
> > > Get a BIG dictionary and shove it you your stupid fat arse !!!
> > >

> > > ...... Phil

> > Here's a thought.

> ** You do not have any cos you' re a mental retard.
> > 90Hz equates to 5400 rpm.
> >
> > That sounds like a small outboard motor to me.

> ** But the sound is ****ing BUZZ not a tone of any kind !!!!!
>
> FOAD moron.
>

> ..... Phil

Phil,

the original problem was putting a 100 ohm resistor across the output transformer and dropping the output level by 12 db.

Remember that?

I don't remember any input from you to indicate this might actually be something of concern.
Old February 6th 21, 01:23 AM posted to rec.audio.pro

gareth magennis total **** wrote:

==========================

** You have a very punchable face.

What out what I can do to you on SED.

....... Phil

Old February 6th 21, 01:35 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
gareth magennis

On Saturday, 6 February 2021 at 00:23:40 UTC, wrote:
> gareth magennis total **** wrote:
>
> ==========================
>
> ** You have a very punchable face.
>
> What out what I can do to you on SED.
>

> ...... Phil

Is that a threat?
Old February 11th 21, 01:53 PM posted to rec.audio.pro

gareth magennis > wrote:
>Right, I have this Pultec EQP-1A clone that apparently was motorboating, but only when attached to a patchbay.
>Turns out the manufacturer knew certain serial numbered units were prone to this and offered a mod to fix the problem.
>Customer took the unit to a tech who carried out the mod as described in an email from the company.
>Only now the unit is something like 12dB down in level than before.
>
>I have removed the mod, and there is in fact about 12dB drop in level with it fitted, the customer is correct.
>
>Original Pultec schematic he
>http://www.gyraf.dk/gy_pd/pultec/pultech.gif
>

>The mod is to wire a 100 ohm resistor in parallel with a 0.1uF capacitor directly accross the output transformer secondary.

You sure they aren't in series? If they were in series, that would sound like
a normal zobel network designed to keep the transformer from ringing or to add
a stabilization pole for something else. In parallel they would just swamp
the transformer which is designed for a 600 ohm load.

I bet, given the description, that the thing works perfectly fine with a
600 ohm load, and only motorboats when connected to modern high-z
transformerless inputs. I bet the transformer sounds better with the
600 ohm load too. The Pultec design is intended for a 600 ohm load.

Old Yesterday, 08:14 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
gareth magennis

On Thursday, 11 February 2021 at 12:53:54 UTC, Scott Dorsey wrote:
> gareth magennis > wrote:
> >Right, I have this Pultec EQP-1A clone that apparently was motorboating, but only when attached to a patchbay.
> >Turns out the manufacturer knew certain serial numbered units were prone to this and offered a mod to fix the problem.
> >Customer took the unit to a tech who carried out the mod as described in an email from the company.
> >Only now the unit is something like 12dB down in level than before.
> >
> >I have removed the mod, and there is in fact about 12dB drop in level with it fitted, the customer is correct.
> >
> >Original Pultec schematic he
> >http://www.gyraf.dk/gy_pd/pultec/pultech.gif
> >

> >The mod is to wire a 100 ohm resistor in parallel with a 0.1uF capacitor directly accross the output transformer secondary.

> You sure they aren't in series? If they were in series, that would sound like
> a normal zobel network designed to keep the transformer from ringing or to add
> a stabilization pole for something else. In parallel they would just swamp
> the transformer which is designed for a 600 ohm load.
>
> I bet, given the description, that the thing works perfectly fine with a
> 600 ohm load, and only motorboats when connected to modern high-z
> transformerless inputs. I bet the transformer sounds better with the
> 600 ohm load too. The Pultec design is intended for a 600 ohm load.
> --scott
>
> --

One of the first things I did was to try them in series, in case this was the error.
This produced a significant rolloff at 10 KHz, so I guessed that wasn't the error.

The Gearslutz post says 100 Ohms in series with 25pf, which I thought made a lot more sense.
I'm reluctant to accept that without comfirmation from the company, though, which I still haven't received.

Is that a typo? should it be 22pF, or even 22nF? I struggled to find a 25pF cap.
Hence my reluctance.

Dachman Audio U87 Clone Kit Paul Dorman Pro Audio 82 January 5th 21 03:50 AM
Good amps to clone Bret L Vacuum Tubes 0 April 25th 10 12:35 AM
WTB Waves Q-Clone License Haolemon Pro Audio 1 September 16th 07 08:26 AM
The clone marching on [email protected] Audio Opinions 5 August 23rd 07 05:23 AM
N72 1272 clone Studio Froombosch Pro Audio 0 March 31st 04 01:52 PM