Pultec EQP clone problem

Old February 3rd 21, 01:06 PM posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Pultec EQP clone problem

gareth magennis wrote:

===================

> Maybe there never was any "motorboating", this notion came from the customer in his email to the company.

** So you OP here was an entire pile of bull crap.

> I never found any, despite adding caps on the output like Mike suggested.

** So what the **** were you trying to *fix* ?????

Dear Mr Magennis,

your total lack of insight & professionalism is appalling.
If I were your employer, I would hand you broom and tell you sweep the floor.

......... Phil
Old February 3rd 21, 11:01 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
gareth magennis

On Wednesday, 3 February 2021 at 12:06:07 UTC, wrote:
> gareth magennis wrote:
>
> ===================
> >

> > Maybe there never was any "motorboating", this notion came from the customer in his email to the company.

> ** So you OP here was an entire pile of bull crap.
> > I never found any, despite adding caps on the output like Mike suggested.

> ** So what the **** were you trying to *fix* ?????
>
> Dear Mr Magennis,
>
> your total lack of insight & professionalism is appalling.
> If I were your employer, I would hand you broom and tell you sweep the floor.
>

> ........ Phil

I think it is obvious I fixed an incorrect modification instruction from the company.

I felt strongly enough that this instruction was just not right, that I felt the need to post my concerns here, where I might get some vaulable insight into whether these concerns bore any weight, or perhaps I was missing something.

As usual, it turned out worthwhile.

Both Don and yourself explained the motorboating phenomenon in a system without negative feedback.
Thanks, that is valuable education indeed, and I appreciate that.

It doesn't really matter that the alleged motorboating may have turned out to be a red herring, I think we all learned something from that.
I said from the outset I was unable to recreate it, it was reported as such by the customer.

My only concern now is that I return the unit to the customer with the proper mod in place, to find it really does have a motorboating problem I can't recreate on the bench, as the mod actually seems to be a low pass filter to stop hf oscillations, not to stop a motorboating issue.

Old February 3rd 21, 11:36 PM posted to rec.audio.pro

gareth magennis wrote a pile of self serving drivel:

> My only concern now is that I return the unit to the customer with the proper mod in place,

** Which does next to nothing.

> to find it really does have a motorboating problem I can't recreate on the bench,

** There is another way a piece of audio gear can be made to " motor boat " at a low frequency.

You mentioned there is a "patch bay" the unit plugs into. If somehow enough output signal gets back to the input, positive feedback results in low frequency oscillation - typically a sub sonic square wave at high level.

Bet your dopey customer has done that by missconnecting the patch bay.

Try it and see if what YOU get matches with their story.

...... Phil

Old February 4th 21, 12:09 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
gareth magennis

On Wednesday, 3 February 2021 at 22:36:33 UTC, wrote:
> gareth magennis wrote a pile of self serving drivel:

> > My only concern now is that I return the unit to the customer with the proper mod in place,

> ** Which does next to nothing.
> > to find it really does have a motorboating problem I can't recreate on the bench,

> ** There is another way a piece of audio gear can be made to " motor boat " at a low frequency.
>
> You mentioned there is a "patch bay" the unit plugs into. If somehow enough output signal gets back to the input, positive feedback results in low frequency oscillation - typically a sub sonic square wave at high level.
>
> Bet your dopey customer has done that by missconnecting the patch bay.
>
> Try it and see if what YOU get matches with their story.
>

> ..... Phil

Funny, that's what I just said, but in a different language.
Old February 4th 21, 12:14 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
gareth magennis

On Wednesday, 3 February 2021 at 23:09:36 UTC, gareth magennis wrote:
> On Wednesday, 3 February 2021 at 22:36:33 UTC, wrote:
> > gareth magennis wrote a pile of self serving drivel:

> > > My only concern now is that I return the unit to the customer with the proper mod in place,

> > ** Which does next to nothing.
> > > to find it really does have a motorboating problem I can't recreate on the bench,

> > ** There is another way a piece of audio gear can be made to " motor boat " at a low frequency.
> >
> > You mentioned there is a "patch bay" the unit plugs into. If somehow enough output signal gets back to the input, positive feedback results in low frequency oscillation - typically a sub sonic square wave at high level.
> >
> > Bet your dopey customer has done that by missconnecting the patch bay.
> >
> > Try it and see if what YOU get matches with their story.
> >

> > ..... Phil

> Funny, that's what I just said, but in a different language.

I think we are actually on the same page here.

Old February 4th 21, 12:20 AM posted to rec.audio.pro

gareth magennis is a massive narcissist :

> > You mentioned there is a "patch bay" the unit plugs into. If somehow enough output signal gets back to the input, positive feedback results in low frequency oscillation - typically a sub sonic square wave at high level.
> >
> > Bet your dopey customer has done that by missconnecting the patch bay.
> >
> > Try it and see if what YOU get matches with their story.
> >

> Funny, that's what I just said, but in a different language.

** You said *nothing of the sort* - you pathetic bull**** artist.

Got a broom handy - know how to use it?

....... Phil
Old February 4th 21, 12:23 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
gareth magennis

On Wednesday, 3 February 2021 at 23:20:53 UTC, wrote:
> gareth magennis is a massive narcissist :

> > > You mentioned there is a "patch bay" the unit plugs into. If somehow enough output signal gets back to the input, positive feedback results in low frequency oscillation - typically a sub sonic square wave at high level.
> > >
> > > Bet your dopey customer has done that by missconnecting the patch bay.
> > >
> > > Try it and see if what YOU get matches with their story.
> > >

> > Funny, that's what I just said, but in a different language.

> ** You said *nothing of the sort* - you pathetic bull**** artist.
>
> Got a broom handy - know how to use it?
>
> ...... Phil

Oh well, I tried.

Old February 4th 21, 01:21 AM posted to rec.audio.pro

gareth magennis wrote:

=====================

> > > Funny, that's what I just said, but in a different language.

> > ** You said *nothing of the sort* - you pathetic bull**** artist.
> >
> > Got a broom handy - know how to use it?
> >

> Oh well, I tried.

** ROTFL !!!!

The only thing this tedious prick " tried " was to bull**** his way out of admitting his massive incompetency.

...... Phil

Old February 5th 21, 12:17 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
gareth magennis

On Thursday, 4 February 2021 at 00:21:30 UTC, wrote:
> gareth magennis wrote:
>
> =====================

> > > ** You said *nothing of the sort* - you pathetic bull**** artist.
> > >
> > > Got a broom handy - know how to use it?
> > >

> > Oh well, I tried.

> ** ROTFL !!!!
>
> The only thing this tedious prick " tried " was to bull**** his way out of admitting his massive incompetency.
>

> ..... Phil

OK, briefly,

I talked at length to the customer today.
His experience of this "motorboating" was an oscillation around 90 Hz.

I had an email converation with the company today.
They say they had problems with the first batch of units that would oscillate around 90 Hz when connected to a remote patchbay.
They designed this mod to combat this occasional 90Hz problem, and made circuit revisions thereafter.

I was incorrect in assuming this mod was to guard against HF oscillations.

If you refer back to the Gearslutz thread I referred to, you will find this problem described thus:

2. The thing with the added capacitors and resistors is to properly load the output stages, which would solve a buzz you might hear if you run long output cables.

link to thread again he
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-m...fications.html
Old February 5th 21, 12:25 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
gareth magennis

On Thursday, 4 February 2021 at 23:17:09 UTC, gareth magennis wrote:
> On Thursday, 4 February 2021 at 00:21:30 UTC, wrote:
> > gareth magennis wrote:
> >
> > =====================

> > > Oh well, I tried.

> > ** ROTFL !!!!
> >
> > The only thing this tedious prick " tried " was to bull**** his way out of admitting his massive incompetency.
> >

> > ..... Phil

> OK, briefly,
>
> I talked at length to the customer today.
> His experience of this "motorboating" was an oscillation around 90 Hz.
>
> I had an email converation with the company today.
> They say they had problems with the first batch of units that would oscillate around 90 Hz when connected to a remote patchbay.
> They designed this mod to combat this occasional 90Hz problem, and made circuit revisions thereafter.
>
> I was incorrect in assuming this mod was to guard against HF oscillations.
>

> If you refer back to the Gearslutz thread I referred to, you will find this problem described thus:
>
> 2. The thing with the added capacitors and resistors is to properly load the output stages, which would solve a buzz you might hear if you run long output cables.
>
> link to thread again he
> https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-m...fications.html

I haven't been able to experience this problem, but it is starting to look like it is not a full blown oscillation at full volume, but rather some background noise problem, where a 90Hz tone gets added to the audio.
Dunno, this is work in progress I guess.

Dachman Audio U87 Clone Kit Paul Dorman Pro Audio 82 January 5th 21 03:50 AM
Good amps to clone Bret L Vacuum Tubes 0 April 25th 10 12:35 AM
WTB Waves Q-Clone License Haolemon Pro Audio 1 September 16th 07 08:26 AM
The clone marching on [email protected] Audio Opinions 5 August 23rd 07 05:23 AM
N72 1272 clone Studio Froombosch Pro Audio 0 March 31st 04 01:52 PM