[OT] Adding volume control to electronic device

Old January 3rd 21, 03:46 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Tobiah[_6_]

Default [OT] Adding volume control to electronic device

I acquired an electronic dart board. It barks out
information about each shot in a loud voice that
would bother other people in the house. There doesn't
seem to be a way to control the volume. I was wondering
whether I could just put a potentiometer in there to
get a volume control. I was thinking the signal could
go through pin one and two, with the third attached to
the other side of the speaker. Would that be the
correct way to do it?
Old January 3rd 21, 03:51 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Ralph Barone[_3_]

Tobiah > wrote:
> I acquired an electronic dart board. It barks out
> information about each shot in a loud voice that
> would bother other people in the house. There doesn't
> seem to be a way to control the volume. I was wondering
> whether I could just put a potentiometer in there to
> get a volume control. I was thinking the signal could
> go through pin one and two, with the third attached to
> the other side of the speaker. Would that be the
> correct way to do it?

Duct tape over the speaker works well too, from my experience with kids
toys and a colleague’s speakerphone.

Old January 3rd 21, 04:23 AM posted to rec.audio.pro

On 3/01/2021 3:51 pm, Ralph Barone wrote:
> Tobiah > wrote:
>> I acquired an electronic dart board. It barks out
>> information about each shot in a loud voice that
>> would bother other people in the house. There doesn't
>> seem to be a way to control the volume. I was wondering
>> whether I could just put a potentiometer in there to
>> get a volume control. I was thinking the signal could
>> go through pin one and two, with the third attached to
>> the other side of the speaker. Would that be the
>> correct way to do it?
>>

> Duct tape over the speaker works well too, from my experience with kids
> toys and a colleague’s speakerphone.

I've used the tape-over approach on a simple piezo buzzer test box.
Works well.

Old January 3rd 21, 07:13 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers[_2_]

On 1/2/2021 9:46 PM, Tobiah wrote:
> I acquired an electronic dart board.* It barks out
> information about each shot in a loud voice that
> would bother other people in the house.* There doesn't
> seem to be a way to control the volume.* I was wondering
> whether I could just put a potentiometer in there to
> get a volume control.

Certainly. Have you opened it up already to see what possibilities there
are to connect it?

> I was thinking the signal could
> go through pin one and two, with the third attached to
> the other side of the speaker.* Would that be the
> correct way to do it?

Depends on what you consider pins 1 and 2 (I assume you're talking about
the pot here), but I don't think you have it right anyway. The usual
hookup is as a voltage divider

-------------+

|||<--------------
Guts |||
||| Speaker

--------------+----------------

Depending on the impedance of the loudspeaker, you'd probably want a
fairly low value pot, 1000 ohms or so. Or if you have an electronics
parts drawer or junk box, you could just try a fixed resistor in series
with either speaker lead. Start with 100 ohms. If it's still too loud,
use a higher value, if it's too quiet try a lower value. But if you want
it to be adjustable, then a pot is the way to go.

---------------------------------

Old January 5th 21, 01:31 AM posted to rec.audio.pro

In article >, Tobiah > wrote:
>I acquired an electronic dart board. It barks out
>information about each shot in a loud voice that
>would bother other people in the house. There doesn't
>seem to be a way to control the volume. I was wondering
>whether I could just put a potentiometer in there to
>get a volume control. I was thinking the signal could
>go through pin one and two, with the third attached to
>the other side of the speaker. Would that be the
>correct way to do it?

Yes. You can do this with a 1/4 watt 50 ohm wirewound pot and it will be
just fine.

Some people will tell you that you shouldn't do this because the speaker will
see a higher impedance and consequently the frequently response will be
affected. That's true, and even worse the low end will likely drop off faster
as you turn the volume down, which is the exact opposite of what you'd want
since your ears do the same thing.

These people would tell you that the smart thing to do would be to intercept
the audio before it gets to the final amplifier stage so you can put a pot
on the input to the amplifier. They would be right; this is a much more
elegant solution.

But hell, this is a dart board, this is not hi-fi stuff. Use a 50 ohm pot.
Old January 11th 21, 07:04 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Tobiah

So how would I wire it? Would I just use pins 1 and 2 to put
the pot inline on one of the speaker leads? Does it matter
which side of the speaker? I seems that I could also short both
leads through pins 2 and 3 so that the signal tends to bypass
the speaker completely. Or maybe there is a way to use all three
pins to somehow make the signal path a more constant resistance.

Old January 11th 21, 10:49 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers[_2_]

On 1/11/2021 1:04 PM, Tobiah wrote:
> So how would I wire it?* Would I just use pins 1 and 2 to put
> the pot inline on one of the speaker leads?* Does it matter
> which side of the speaker?* I seems that I could also short both
> leads through pins 2 and 3 so that the signal tends to bypass
> the speaker completely.* Or maybe there is a way to use all three
> pins to somehow make the signal path a more constant resistance.

I thought I wrote a reply to this a few days ago. Maybe you're just
ignoring me, or it was my attempt at drawing a schematic using the
keyboard that didn't look right.

Depends on what you consider pins 1 and 2 (I assume you're talking about
the pot here), but I don't think you have it right anyway. The usual
hookup is as a voltage divider, with the two ends of the pot (pins 1 and
3 in your language) connected across the output that feeds the speaker,
and the speaker connected between the wiper ( pin 2 - the one in the
center) and pin 1.

Depending on the impedance of the loudspeaker, you'd probably want a
fairly low value pot, 1000 ohms or so. Or if you have an electronics
parts drawer or junk box, you could just try a fixed resistor in series
with either speaker lead. Start with 100 ohms. If it's still too loud,
use a higher value, if it's too quiet try a lower value. But if you want
it to be adjustable, then a pot is the way to go.

[1]-----/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\------[3]
^
[2]

Old January 12th 21, 03:41 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Tobiah

> Depends on what you consider pins 1 and 2 (I assume you're talking
> about the pot here), but I don't think you have it right anyway. The
> usual hookup is as a voltage divider, with the two ends of the pot
> (pins 1 and 3 in your language) connected across the output that
> feeds the speaker, and the speaker connected between the wiper ( pin
> 2 - the one in the center) and pin 1.
>
> Depending on the impedance of the loudspeaker, you'd probably want a
> fairly low value pot, 1000 ohms or so. Or if you have an electronics
> parts drawer or junk box, you could just try a fixed resistor in
> series with either speaker lead. Start with 100 ohms. If it's still
> too loud, use a higher value, if it's too quiet try a lower value.
> But if you want it to be adjustable, then a pot is the way to go.
>
> [1]-----/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\------[3]
> ^ [2]

Yeah, I failed to understand your previous ASCII art. It
makes sense now. I clip the two leads going to the speaker,
and connect the ones coming out of the device to pins
1 and 3, and connect the ones going to the speaker on pins
2 and 3 (or whichever way means clockwise will be louder).

So it's like a little mixer between speaker and ground.
Is this better than just clipping one speaker lead and
hooking up the ends to pin 1 and 2, like a single
variable value resistor?
Old January 13th 21, 07:18 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
gray_wolf

On 11/01/2021 12:04 pm, Tobiah wrote:
> So how would I wire it?* Would I just use pins 1 and 2 to put
> the pot inline on one of the speaker leads?* Does it matter
> which side of the speaker?* I seems that I could also short both
> leads through pins 2 and 3 so that the signal tends to bypass
> the speaker completely.* Or maybe there is a way to use all three
> pins to somehow make the signal path a more constant resistance.
>
> On 1/4/2021 4:31 PM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
>> In article >, Tobiah* > wrote:
>>> I acquired an electronic dart board.* It barks out
>>> information about each shot in a loud voice that
>>> would bother other people in the house.* There doesn't
>>> seem to be a way to control the volume.* I was wondering
>>> whether I could just put a potentiometer in there to
>>> get a volume control.* I was thinking the signal could
>>> go through pin one and two, with the third attached to
>>> the other side of the speaker.* Would that be the
>>> correct way to do it?

>> Yes.* You can do this with a 1/4 watt 50 ohm wirewound pot and it will be
>> just fine.
>>
>> Some people will tell you that you shouldn't do this because the speaker will
>> see a higher impedance and consequently the frequently response will be
>> affected.* That's true, and even worse the low end will likely drop off faster
>> as you turn the volume down, which is the exact opposite of what you'd want
>> since your ears do the same thing.
>>
>> These people would tell you that the smart thing to do would be to intercept
>> the audio before it gets to the final amplifier stage so you can put a pot
>> on the input to the amplifier.* They would be right; this is a much more
>> elegant solution.
>>
>> But hell, this is a dart board, this is not hi-fi stuff.* Use a 50 ohm pot.
>> --scott

Stuff a rag in it? ;-) Google "Adding volume control to electronic device"

HTH

Old January 13th 21, 07:24 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
gray_wolf

On 13/01/2021 12:18 am, gray_wolf wrote:
> On 11/01/2021 12:04 pm, Tobiah wrote:
>> So how would I wire it?* Would I just use pins 1 and 2 to put
>> the pot inline on one of the speaker leads?* Does it matter
>> which side of the speaker?* I seems that I could also short both
>> leads through pins 2 and 3 so that the signal tends to bypass
>> the speaker completely.* Or maybe there is a way to use all three
>> pins to somehow make the signal path a more constant resistance.

>>> Yes.* You can do this with a 1/4 watt 50 ohm wirewound pot and it will be
>>> just fine.
>>>
>>> Some people will tell you that you shouldn't do this because the speaker will
>>> see a higher impedance and consequently the frequently response will be
>>> affected.* That's true, and even worse the low end will likely drop off faster
>>> as you turn the volume down, which is the exact opposite of what you'd want
>>> since your ears do the same thing.
>>>
>>> These people would tell you that the smart thing to do would be to intercept
>>> the audio before it gets to the final amplifier stage so you can put a pot
>>> on the input to the amplifier.* They would be right; this is a much more
>>> elegant solution.
>>>
>>> But hell, this is a dart board, this is not hi-fi stuff.* Use a 50 ohm pot.
>>> --scott
>>>

> Stuff a rag in it? ;-) Google "Adding volume control to electronic device"
>
> HTH

Remember the old drive in movie theater speakers with the volume control?