Any opinions on OC818 ?

Old December 30th 20, 01:31 AM posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Any opinions on OC818 ?

Since The Evil Empire that is Harman took over AKG things seem to have
deteriorated somewhat, especially wrt supply of and depth of service
info, and spare parts with 'consumer world' attitudes starting to creep
in. Hope this doesn't start to extend into the mic side of the business.

Has AA headed back towards the better aspects of 'old' AKG ? I lashed
out on a pair of Hi-X55 headphones which are very comfortable,
incredibly solidly constructed, and sound as one would expect apart from
what appears to be a way-extended HF end (beyond mine). Or is it an
*exaggerated* high-end ?

So .... how does the OC-818 stand up in comparison to the obvious
comparison with C414 EB, B-ULS, B-XLS ? I love the Wide-Cardiod pattern
on my B-XLS, but if the sonic character is similar (is it ?) the
PolarDesigner and PolarPilot things would at least seem an epic
capability. Worthwhile ?

Old January 29th 21, 02:52 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
sTeeVee

On Tuesday, December 29, 2020 at 7:32:02 PM UTC-5, geoff wrote:
> Since The Evil Empire that is Harman took over AKG things seem to have
> deteriorated somewhat, especially wrt supply of and depth of service
> info, and spare parts with 'consumer world' attitudes starting to creep
> in. Hope this doesn't start to extend into the mic side of the business.
>
> Has AA headed back towards the better aspects of 'old' AKG ? I lashed
> out on a pair of Hi-X55 headphones which are very comfortable,
> incredibly solidly constructed, and sound as one would expect apart from
> what appears to be a way-extended HF end (beyond mine). Or is it an
> *exaggerated* high-end ?
>
> So .... how does the OC-818 stand up in comparison to the obvious
> comparison with C414 EB, B-ULS, B-XLS ? I love the Wide-Cardiod pattern
> on my B-XLS, but if the sonic character is similar (is it ?) the
> PolarDesigner and PolarPilot things would at least seem an epic
> capability. Worthwhile ?
>
> geoff

Hi Geoff,
The Sound on Sound review is quite revealing. The secret sauce to me is the Polar Designer app that is targeted at this mic. Everything else being equal, I think we are starting to see some expansion of the ambisonic paradigm into "simpler" configurations. Being able to fine-tune a "double-mid-side with height" (effectively a "component" approach to ambisonic mic'ing) for instance, will be, IMHO increasingly relevant as time goes on. I like the effort of Austrian Audio to include the software.

~sTEEVEE
Old January 29th 21, 08:58 PM posted to rec.audio.pro

sTeeVee > wrote:
>The Sound on Sound review is quite revealing. The secret sauce to me is the=
> Polar Designer app that is targeted at this mic. Everything else being equ=
>al, I think we are starting to see some expansion of the ambisonic paradigm=
> into "simpler" configurations. Being able to fine-tune a "double-mid-side=
> with height" (effectively a "component" approach to ambisonic mic'ing) for=
> instance, will be, IMHO increasingly relevant as time goes on. I like the =
>effort of Austrian Audio to include the software.

It's not exactly fancy software, it's just summing.

Plenty of folks have made microphones with remote pattern control...
Neumann did it back in the sixties and Josephson makes some excellent
ones today.

And yes, the Josephson system will let you pull out the pressure and velocity
signals separately so you can mix them at your will to make any pattern you
like.

Old January 30th 21, 01:38 AM posted to rec.audio.pro

On 30/01/2021 8:58 am, Scott Dorsey wrote:
> sTeeVee > wrote:
>> The Sound on Sound review is quite revealing. The secret sauce to me is the=
>> Polar Designer app that is targeted at this mic. Everything else being equ=
>> al, I think we are starting to see some expansion of the ambisonic paradigm=
>> into "simpler" configurations. Being able to fine-tune a "double-mid-side=
>> with height" (effectively a "component" approach to ambisonic mic'ing) for=
>> instance, will be, IMHO increasingly relevant as time goes on. I like the =
>> effort of Austrian Audio to include the software.

> It's not exactly fancy software, it's just summing.
>
> Plenty of folks have made microphones with remote pattern control...
> Neumann did it back in the sixties and Josephson makes some excellent
> ones today.
>
> And yes, the Josephson system will let you pull out the pressure and velocity
> signals separately so you can mix them at your will to make any pattern you
> like.
> --scott

I was wondering along the lines of the capsule technology.

this TT... OPINIONS? [email protected] General 4 February 5th 06 02:42 AM
BBE - opinions? Dirk Bruere at Neopax Pro Audio 10 December 4th 05 11:45 PM
AAC - Opinions? asdfg Audio Opinions 9 October 14th 04 03:38 PM
AAC - Opinions? asdfg Tech 9 October 14th 04 03:38 PM
My first amp -- opinions? Olav Wölfelschneider Vacuum Tubes 10 September 12th 03 06:00 AM