Dachman Audio U87 Clone Kit

Old December 21st 20, 04:50 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
John Williamson

Default Dachman Audio U87 Clone Kit

On 21/12/2020 14:08, Don Pearce wrote:

> When I record acoustic guitar, I like to record the whole guitar, not
> the sound hole, not the 12th fret, not the upper bout. About six feet
> in front is my favoured location in my nicely treated room. Not only
> is the guitar properly balanced, but only a smidge of EQ is needed to
> kill the slight residue of proximity bass lift.

<Irony> Damn, you've been watching me... ;-)

Unless it was me watching you...

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Old December 21st 20, 08:58 PM posted to rec.audio.pro

On 22/12/2020 4:50 am, John Williamson wrote:
> On 21/12/2020 14:08, Don Pearce wrote:
>
>> When I record acoustic guitar, I like to record the whole guitar, not
>> the sound hole, not the 12th fret, not the upper bout. About six feet
>> in front is my favoured location in my nicely treated room. Not only
>> is the guitar properly balanced, but only a smidge of EQ is needed to
>> kill the slight residue of proximity bass lift.

> <Irony> Damn, you've been watching me... ;-)
>
> Unless it was me watching you...

An NTC in the mic lead ( or two for a balanced signal) will remove that
hint of artificial bass-boost.

Sorry folks, couldn't resist(or).

Now Mr Phalluson, please take your biplar meds before you post again.

Old December 22nd 20, 06:38 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Paul Dorman

On 12/14/2020 11:18 AM, Mike Rivers wrote:
> On 12/14/2020 3:13 AM, Paul Dorman wrote:
>
>> ¬*¬*¬* \I'd like to see some blind tests with
>> a real U87, and see if people can tell the difference!

> That's what they all ask - does it sound like the real thing? Does your
> U87 sound like my U87? Probably not exactly.
>
> The important thing is whether it sounds good to you on your projects.
> There was a time when there were a few standard studio mics that clients
> expected you to have. I bought two, and still have them and use them.
> But I have a couple of other mics that "sound like" U87s that don't
> sound like either of my U87s, but they're useful in most places where
> I'd use a U87 and they're nothing to be ashamed of.
>
> I'm not familiar with this maker and I have no idea where his parts come
> from. I know a little more about Mic Parts¬* they're very open about
> their designs and sources. If you're looking to save some money buy
> building a mic from a kit, check them out
>
> https://microphone-parts.com/

I'd like to see two blind tests:

1) 5 mics. 4 real U87s, and 1 U87 Clone.
2) 5 mics. 4 Clones, and 1 Real U87.

I'm willing to bet very, very few people could correctly pick
out the 1 Clone, and the 1 Real, in two blind audio tests. Especially
since there are variations even between the real U87s!

Old December 23rd 20, 01:41 AM posted to rec.audio.pro

Paul wrote:
-----------------
** FOAD you vile lunatic

Old December 23rd 20, 02:00 AM posted to rec.audio.pro

geoff = know nothing moron wrote:

> An NTC in the mic lead ( or two for a balanced signal) will remove that
> hint of artificial bass-boost.

** Not the tiniest bit funny.

Just plain dumb.

Like the retarded idiot who posted it.

... .Phil
Old December 23rd 20, 04:49 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Ty Ford[_2_]

> I'd like to see two blind tests:
>
> 1) 5 mics. 4 real U87s, and 1 U87 Clone.
> 2) 5 mics. 4 Clones, and 1 Real U87.
>
> I'm willing to bet very, very few people could correctly pick
> out the 1 Clone, and the 1 Real, in two blind audio tests. Especially
> since there are variations even between the real U87s!

I once EQed an RE20 to sound like a U 87 for my voice. For that one incident, the difference was very difficult to tell.
That, by no means, indicates the any similarities.

We (Louis Mills, Mark Patey and I) could tell the difference between a U87 i and a U 87ai.

I guess, what I'm thinking here is that, depending on your tests, you might be convinced of anything. You'd have to run exhaustive tests on music, room (pattern response), preamp loading, and probably a few things I've forgotten to mention here to get any solid data. Would I trust your findings? Probably not.
Old December 23rd 20, 06:46 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Paul Dorman

On 12/23/2020 8:49 AM, Ty Ford wrote:
>> I'd like to see two blind tests:
>>
>> 1) 5 mics. 4 real U87s, and 1 U87 Clone.
>> 2) 5 mics. 4 Clones, and 1 Real U87.
>>
>> I'm willing to bet very, very few people could correctly pick
>> out the 1 Clone, and the 1 Real, in two blind audio tests. Especially
>> since there are variations even between the real U87s!

> I once EQed an RE20 to sound like a U 87 for my voice. For that one incident, the difference was very difficult to tell.
> That, by no means, indicates the any similarities.
>
> We (Louis Mills, Mark Patey and I) could tell the difference between a U87 i and a U 87ai.
>
> I guess, what I'm thinking here is that, depending on your tests, you might be convinced of anything. You'd have to run exhaustive tests on music, room (pattern response), preamp loading, and probably a few things I've forgotten to mention here to get any solid data. Would I trust your findings? Probably not.

You'd want to have a controlled test, where everything else is the
same: pre-amp, room, etc.

Would I trust anyone who claims they picked out the 1 clone,
and the 1 real? Definitely Not!
Old December 24th 20, 01:42 AM posted to rec.audio.pro

On 24/12/2020 4:49 am, Ty Ford wrote:
>> I'd like to see two blind tests:
>>
>> 1) 5 mics. 4 real U87s, and 1 U87 Clone.
>> 2) 5 mics. 4 Clones, and 1 Real U87.
>>
>> I'm willing to bet very, very few people could correctly pick
>> out the 1 Clone, and the 1 Real, in two blind audio tests. Especially
>> since there are variations even between the real U87s!

> I once EQed an RE20 to sound like a U 87 for my voice. For that one incident, the difference was very difficult to tell.
> That, by no means, indicates the any similarities.
>
> We (Louis Mills, Mark Patey and I) could tell the difference between a U87 i and a U 87ai.
>
> I guess, what I'm thinking here is that, depending on your tests, you might be convinced of anything. You'd have to run exhaustive tests on music, room (pattern response), preamp loading, and probably a few things I've forgotten to mention here to get any solid data. Would I trust your findings? Probably not.

Then move a few inches and it all changes again !

Old December 24th 20, 04:13 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Ty Ford[_2_]

> You'd want to have a controlled test, where everything else is the
> same: pre-amp, room, etc.
>
> Would I trust anyone who claims they picked out the 1 clone,
> and the 1 real? Definitely Not!

But with mics, you also need to consider the preamps. We were using Flite Three's API preamps. I use GML and Millennia Media and a Pre-production model of a pre designed by Jim Mikles. Expect the mics to sound different in other preamps.
Old December 24th 20, 04:15 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Ty Ford[_2_]

> Then move a few inches and it all changes again !
>
> geoff

It certainly can, but may not.

Listen to this experiment in moving around a mic. My space is tight but not dead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIMf...channel=TyFord

Ty

Good amps to clone Bret L Vacuum Tubes 0 April 25th 10 12:35 AM
WTB Waves Q-Clone License Haolemon Pro Audio 1 September 16th 07 08:26 AM
The clone marching on [email protected] Audio Opinions 5 August 23rd 07 05:23 AM
Clone Ensemble dispute [email protected] Pro Audio 0 August 23rd 05 03:13 AM
N72 1272 clone Studio Froombosch Pro Audio 0 March 31st 04 01:52 PM