Digital noise from speakers in flight simulator (X-Plane)

Old March 19th 18, 09:52 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
John Doe[_2_]

Default Digital noise from speakers in flight simulator (X-Plane)

INFORMATION:

The JBL LSR305s make great PC speakers, zero noise, except when
playing a flight simulator (X-Plane).

Tried two different video cards, PNY GTX980 and MSI GTX960.
Tried built-in audio and Creative Rx soundcard
Tried a different speaker cable.

The noise corresponds to what is displayed on the screen. It
changes when a menu choice is selected. Sounds like an oscillator.

Neither of my monitors have an HDMI audio output jack.

QUESTIONS:

Should I try an HDMI pass-through with audio extractor?

The soundcard has SPDIF output. But I am having trouble finding an
inexpensive SPDIF input preamp for the powered speakers.

Thanks.

Old March 19th 18, 10:03 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
John Doe[_2_]

Maybe something like this...

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...ords=AV-086-BK

....for the SPDIF receiver from the soundcard?

Maybe that provides a way to move the speakers away from the PC,
like Bluetooth but without lag?
Old March 19th 18, 10:55 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers[_2_]

On 3/19/2018 4:52 PM, John Doe wrote:

> The JBL LSR305s make great PC speakers, zero noise, except when
> playing a flight simulator (X-Plane).
> The noise corresponds to what is displayed on the screen. It
> changes when a menu choice is selected. Sounds like an oscillator.

Often that kind of noise comes in on the ground connection. How do you
have the speakers connected to your computer? Are you using the
computer's built-in sound card? An outboard (USB or something) audio
interface? Or are you taking an audio output from the video monitor that
picks audio off the HDMI video from the computer?

If your speakers are connected to an HDMI monitor, try a different audio
path, even the built-in sound card will give you more options. Best
would be an audio interface with a balanced line level output - this
would give you some opportunities for experimenting with disconnecting
grounds.

A cheap possible solution is a "ground isolator" that breaks the
physical connection between the computer ground and the speaker. I
tested one of these many years ago when I wrote an article on hum fixing
gadgets (I think it's on my web site), and this one had remarkably good
performance considering the price.

https://www.amazon.com/RadioShack-Sy.../dp/B002YGM5D8

Old March 20th 18, 04:17 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
John Doe[_2_]

Okay, I will try the HDMI audio extractor. Thanks.
Old March 21st 18, 12:59 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
John Doe[_2_]

FWIW... Before upgrading my main monitor last week, I tried the
built-in speakers and did not notice the noise. But difficult to
hear anything on those built-in monitor speakers.

The HDMI audio extractor (Tripp Lite P130-000-AUD4K6) should tell
that one. If there is still noise, through the 3.5 mm stereo output
jack, I will assume the SPDIF on the extractor link would not work
either, that the noise is introduced before that point.

I will lose the SoundBlaster equalizer software, using HDMI audio,
but I suppose there is a replacement.

Old March 21st 18, 03:38 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Phil W

"John Doe" >:

> FWIW... Before upgrading my main monitor last week, I tried the
> built-in speakers and did not notice the noise. But difficult to
> hear anything on those built-in monitor speakers.
>
> The HDMI audio extractor (Tripp Lite P130-000-AUD4K6) should tell
> that one. If there is still noise, through the 3.5 mm stereo output
> jack, I will assume the SPDIF on the extractor link would not work
> either, that the noise is introduced before that point.

Good luck, that it helps.

> I will lose the SoundBlaster equalizer software, using HDMI audio,
> but I suppose there is a replacement.

IF you´re using Windows, you might want to check out:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/equalizerapo/
in conjunction with
https://sourceforge.net/projects/pea...apo-extension/

as a "system-wide" EQ - can be activated and DEactivated easily.

Phil

Old March 21st 18, 09:57 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Peter Larsen[_3_]

On 21-03-2018 00:59, John Doe wrote:

fixed microserf email topposting, this is usenet...

> I wrote:
>
>> INFORMATION:
>>
>> The JBL LSR305s make great PC speakers, zero noise, except when
>> playing a flight simulator (X-Plane).
>>
>> Tried two different video cards, PNY GTX980 and MSI GTX960.
>> Tried built-in audio and Creative Rx soundcard
>> Tried a different speaker cable.
>>
>> The noise corresponds to what is displayed on the screen. It
>> changes when a menu choice is selected. Sounds like an oscillator.

You may need one or both of: a bigger psu in the pc and a set of inline
insulation transformers that keep pc's ground and audio playback systems
grounds separate.

>> Neither of my monitors have an HDMI audio output jack.
>>
>> QUESTIONS:
>>
>> Should I try an HDMI pass-through with audio extractor?

No, I don't think it is gonna save your day, I think, but I do not know
this, that the supply voltage(s) in the pc are modulated because of the
videocards current requirements.

Kind regards

Peter larsen

Old March 21st 18, 11:31 AM posted to rec.audio.pro,free.spam
John Doe[_2_]

Don't take this personally, but...

Have you ever measured how much power your system uses?

Many years ago I bought a $20 wattage meter to find out. Surprise!
Nowadays I always have one connected to my PC. A good use for it
after measuring appliances around the house.

My systems have been in the 100-300 W range, including everything in
the box (minus the monitor). That includes inefficiency/overhead of
the power supply itself.

My current system...
ATX motherboard
Intel i7-6700k
GeForce GTX980

Idle power is usually about 65 W. While in my flight simulator
(X-Plane 11), power is always less than 300 W.

The big power supply thing sounds like a penis size contest. It is
the kind of thing you would sell to non-scientists who need "RGB"
display in and on all their computer stuff. Heaven forbid we have
a trade war with China and can't get RGB headphones.
Old March 23rd 18, 09:03 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Peter Larsen[_3_]

On 21-03-2018 11:31, John Doe wrote:

> Don't take this personally, but...

> Have you ever measured how much power your system uses?

Yes. When I edit video on a double xeon box I double the household power
use.

> Many years ago I bought a $20 wattage meter to find out. Surprise!
> Nowadays I always have one connected to my PC. A good use for it
> after measuring appliances around the house.
>
> My systems have been in the 100-300 W range, including everything in
> the box (minus the monitor). That includes inefficiency/overhead of
> the power supply itself.
>
> My current system...
> ATX motherboard
> Intel i7-6700k
> GeForce GTX980
>
> Idle power is usually about 65 W. While in my flight simulator
> (X-Plane 11), power is always less than 300 W.
>
> The big power supply thing sounds like a penis size contest. It is
> the kind of thing you would sell to non-scientists who need "RGB"
> display in and on all their computer stuff. Heaven forbid we have
> a trade war with China and can't get RGB headphones.

Remember the context, the OP is experiencing interference.

If you still have the box to that video card then check the suggested pc
power supply dimensioning. My videocards generally request 600 watts psu
in the pc or greater. And it is about voltage sag and -when it comes to
interference negation - psu output impedance on a single rail worst
case, not about what it can deliver on all rails combined.

My first thought was that his psu is marginal for the tasks since it is
when the graphics card is busy he has the issue. This here box has video
interference when there is too much disk activity, much the same issue.

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Old March 24th 18, 05:09 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
John Doe[_2_]

Peter Larsen > wrote:

> You may need one or both of: a bigger psu in the pc and a
> set of inline insulation transformers that keep pc's ground
> and audio playback systems grounds separate.

Of course trying a bigger power supply is easy. Or maybe an
external soundcard, assuming the noise does not come through
the USB.

> No, I don't think [an HDMI pass-through with audio
> extractor] is gonna save your day,

It did not. The same noise is present with the HDMI audio
extractor.

> I think, but I do not know this, that the supply voltage(s)
> in the pc are modulated because of the videocards current
> requirements.

I need to look around and see whether this is a common
problem. It should be, considering my circumstance.

Maybe most people don't notice because they use cheap
speakers. Seems strange. Otherwise, a bigger power supply
should fix it. Gamers love big power supplies. I can use a
spare power supply anyway.

Thanks.