How did they create that sound on "Mercy Mercy Me"?

Old April 2nd 11, 01:30 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
brassplyer

Default How did they create that sound on "Mercy Mercy Me"?

On Marvin Gaye's cut "Mercy Mercy Me" there's this repetitive echoing
"ponk" that sort of sounds like a sonar ping or something. Anyone know
how that sound was created? Seems I may have heard it on other songs
as well.
Old April 2nd 11, 04:38 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Nil

On 02 Apr 2011, brassplyer > wrote in
rec.audio.pro:

> On Marvin Gaye's cut "Mercy Mercy Me" there's this repetitive
> echoing "ponk" that sort of sounds like a sonar ping or something.
> Anyone know how that sound was created? Seems I may have heard it
> on other songs as well.

I think it's a woodblock with a ton of reverb.
Old April 2nd 11, 10:53 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
axolotl

On 4/2/2011 8:30 AM, brassplyer wrote:
> On Marvin Gaye's cut "Mercy Mercy Me" there's this repetitive echoing
> "ponk" that sort of sounds like a sonar ping or something. Anyone know
> how that sound was created? Seems I may have heard it on other songs
> as well.

This was discussed at length in the "Whatever Works" forum at
Prosoundweb. Terry Manning, one of the moderators, had the advantage of
a copy of the 16 track master.
An archive search will get you there.

Kevin Gallimore
Old April 3rd 11, 12:22 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Gareth Magennis

"axolotl" > wrote in message
> On 4/2/2011 8:30 AM, brassplyer wrote:
>> On Marvin Gaye's cut "Mercy Mercy Me" there's this repetitive echoing
>> "ponk" that sort of sounds like a sonar ping or something. Anyone know
>> how that sound was created? Seems I may have heard it on other songs
>> as well.

> This was discussed at length in the "Whatever Works" forum at Prosoundweb.
> Terry Manning, one of the moderators, had the advantage of a copy of the
> 16 track master.
> An archive search will get you there.
>
> Kevin Gallimore

Shame you couldn't be bothered to post a link.

I've just spent ages trying to find it and have given up.

Old April 3rd 11, 12:36 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
axolotl

On 4/2/2011 7:22 PM, Gareth Magennis wrote:

> "axolotl" > wrote in message
>> On 4/2/2011 8:30 AM, brassplyer wrote:
>>> On Marvin Gaye's cut "Mercy Mercy Me" there's this repetitive echoing
>>> "ponk" that sort of sounds like a sonar ping or something. Anyone know
>>> how that sound was created? Seems I may have heard it on other songs
>>> as well.

>> This was discussed at length in the "Whatever Works" forum at
>> Prosoundweb. Terry Manning, one of the moderators, had the advantage
>> of a copy of the 16 track master.
>> An archive search will get you there.
>>
>> Kevin Gallimore

> Shame you couldn't be bothered to post a link.
>
> I've just spent ages trying to find it and have given up.

We aim to please.

<http://recforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/m/259729/0/?srch=marvin+gaye+mercy#msg_259729>

Kevin Gallimore

Old April 3rd 11, 12:59 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Nil

On 02 Apr 2011, "Gareth Magennis" >
wrote in rec.audio.pro:

> Shame you couldn't be bothered to post a link.
>
> I've just spent ages trying to find it and have given up.

I flopped around for a while and eventually found the forum (I
think)...

http://recforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/f/34/0/

I have a multi-track version of this song that I acquired somewhere on
the 'net. This sound isn't on it!

I still think it's a wood block.
Old April 3rd 11, 01:01 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Gareth Magennis

"axolotl" > wrote in message
> On 4/2/2011 7:22 PM, Gareth Magennis wrote:

>>> This was discussed at length in the "Whatever Works" forum at
>>> Prosoundweb. Terry Manning, one of the moderators, had the advantage
>>> of a copy of the 16 track master.
>>> An archive search will get you there.
>>>
>>> Kevin Gallimore

>> Shame you couldn't be bothered to post a link.
>>
>> I've just spent ages trying to find it and have given up.
>>

> We aim to please.
>
> <http://recforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/m/259729/0/?srch=marvin+gaye+mercy#msg_259729>
>

> Kevin Gallimore

Thank you Kevin. :-)

Old April 3rd 11, 01:44 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
brassplyer

On Apr 2, 5:53*pm, axolotl > wrote:

> This was discussed at length in the "Whatever Works" forum at
> Prosoundweb. Terry Manning, one of the moderators, had the advantage of
> a copy of the 16 track master.
> An archive search will get you there.

I finally found the thread after much hunting around, I didn't see
where anyone gave a definitive answer as to what the sound was, lots
of speculation - wood block, muted cowbell, a "Chamberlin" sound.

So I still don't know the definitive answer to the question however I
did A) become aware of what's obviously an excellent recording forum
and B) became aware of a gizmo - the Chamberlin tape loop machine -
that I hadn't been aware of before.

Thanks for the tip!

Old April 3rd 11, 02:13 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers

On 4/2/2011 8:44 PM, brassplyer wrote:

> I didn't see
> where anyone gave a definitive answer as to what the sound was, lots
> of speculation - wood block, muted cowbell, a "Chamberlin" sound.
>
> So I still don't know the definitive answer to the question

There's only one way to find out for sure, and that's to
find someone who was on the session who has a good memory.
But if you're trying to approximate that sound, you can
certainly try all the suggestions that have been made.

of audio." - John Watkinson

interesting audio stuff
Old April 3rd 11, 05:05 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
brassplyer

On Apr 2, 9:13*pm, Mike Rivers > wrote:

> There's only one way to find out for sure, and that's to
> find someone who was on the session who has a good memory.
> But if you're trying to approximate that sound, you can
> certainly try all the suggestions that have been made.

Wasn't really looking to emulate it - though who knows maybe I might
someday. It's just a curiosity I've had for a while that I've been
meaning to ask about.