Subwoofers! Etc.

Old February 22nd 21, 06:17 AM posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Subwoofers! Etc.

geoff wrote:

===========

> Actually I'm repairing a Bose 1800VI power amp that is reputed to be
> quite good. But when you pull it apart it turns out to be Carvin.

** Yep, a PM1400 " magnetic field " job.

Tip from an expert:
Be very wary of any amplifier that has speaker maker's name on it.

Bose, JBL, AR, Renkus-Heinz, EV, Altec ......

...... Phil
Old February 22nd 21, 10:28 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Don Pearce[_3_]

On Sun, 21 Feb 2021 21:14:14 -0500, Neil >
wrote:

>On 2/21/2021 4:03 PM, Don Pearce wrote:
>> On Sun, 21 Feb 2021 14:35:29 -0500, Neil >
>> wrote:

>>> the non-linear response of headphones
>>> <https://www.rtings.com/headphones/tests/sound-quality/raw-frequency-response>
>>>
>>> Now, you explain your very reflective head.

>> Again, not a word about non-linearity. And the reflective head. You
>> are going to have to explain how it could not be - you are in the land
>> of ducks having no echo here.

>Sorry that you didn't understand the curves in the tests, since they are
>the definition of audio linearity.
>
>I have no idea what you're talking about regarding duck echos.

Those curves are frequency response - also known as flatness.
Linearity is a quality of the transfer function - distortion to you.
Please try to use the right words.

Old February 22nd 21, 10:31 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Don Pearce[_3_]

On Sun, 21 Feb 2021 14:54:02 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:

>> I did not write what you are responding to, above.

>** OK, Don Pearce did.
>
>That is a trivial error while the post is correct and needed saying.

I did, and I should have caveated it by adding that it applies down to
the lower operational limiting frequency of the absorber. The idea of
anechoic is that nothing comes back. You can achieve that by either
having infinite space or perfect absorption.

Old February 22nd 21, 09:53 PM posted to rec.audio.pro

On 22/02/2021 6:17 pm, wrote:
> geoff wrote:
>
> ===========
> >
>> Actually I'm repairing a Bose 1800VI power amp that is reputed to be
>> quite good. But when you pull it apart it turns out to be Carvin.
>>

> ** Yep, a PM1400 " magnetic field " job.
>
> Tip from an expert:
> Be very wary of any amplifier that has speaker maker's name on it.
>
> Bose, JBL, AR, Renkus-Heinz, EV, Altec ......
>

> ..... Phil

I was thinking about a different amp entirely, which was internally
Carvin - not Carver.

This says Bose on the PCBs - I wounder what the Carver one says. It is
a 'straightish' Class AB power amp with a touch where DC rails are
monitored and a triac momentarily switches in an extra section of mains
transformer primary if they dip. Nothing to do with Carver's sonic
holography magnetic field amp mumbo-jumbo, unless that's all it is ....

Had failed because the inside of the casing was essentially a solid
block of fluff and dust (pub).

Old February 22nd 21, 10:23 PM posted to rec.audio.pro

geoff wrote:

=============

> >> Actually I'm repairing a Bose 1800VI power amp that is reputed to be
> >> quite good. But when you pull it apart it turns out to be Carvin.
> >>

> > ** Yep, a PM1400 " magnetic field " job.
> >
> > Tip from an expert:
> > Be very wary of any amplifier that has speaker maker's name on it.
> >
> > Bose, JBL, AR, Renkus-Heinz, EV, Altec ......
>>

> I was thinking about a different amp entirely, which was internally
> Carvin - not Carver.
>
> This says Bose on the PCBs - I wounder what the Carver one says.

**Err - it says "CARVER"

https://audiokarma.org/forums/index....oes-on.776885/

> It is
> a 'straightish' Class AB power amp with a touch where DC rails are
> monitored and a triac momentarily switches in an extra section of mains
> transformer primary if they dip.

** Bit like the Carver then.

....... Phil

Old February 22nd 21, 11:52 PM posted to rec.audio.pro

On 23/02/2021 10:23 am, wrote:
> geoff wrote:
>
> =============

>>> ** Yep, a PM1400 " magnetic field " job.
>>>
>>> Tip from an expert:
>>> Be very wary of any amplifier that has speaker maker's name on it.
>>>
>>> Bose, JBL, AR, Renkus-Heinz, EV, Altec ......
>>>

>> I was thinking about a different amp entirely, which was internally
>> Carvin - not Carver.
>>
>> This says Bose on the PCBs - I wounder what the Carver one says.

> **Err - it says "CARVER"
>
> https://audiokarma.org/forums/index....oes-on.776885/
>

>> It is
>> a 'straightish' Class AB power amp with a touch where DC rails are
>> monitored and a triac momentarily switches in an extra section of mains
>> transformer primary if they dip.

> ** Bit like the Carver then.
>

> ...... Phil

You conveniently snipped the "Nothing to do with Carver's sonic
holography magnetic field amp mumbo-jumbo, unless that's all it is ...."
from my post, eh Phil.

Actually Class G or H apparently. And apparently the little mains kick
*is* all the 'magnetic field' mumbo-jumbo was about. No big deal at all.

And the 'sonic hologram' was something else entirely.

Old February 23rd 21, 12:08 AM posted to rec.audio.pro

geoff wrote:
============

> >> I was thinking about a different amp entirely, which was internally
> >> Carvin - not Carver.
> >>
> >> This says Bose on the PCBs - I wounder what the Carver one says.

> > **Err - it says "CARVER"
> >
> > https://audiokarma.org/forums/index....oes-on.776885/
> >

> >> It is
> >> a 'straightish' Class AB power amp with a touch where DC rails are
> >> monitored and a triac momentarily switches in an extra section of mains
> >> transformer primary if they dip.

> > ** Bit like the Carver then.

> You conveniently snipped the "Nothing to do with Carver's sonic
> holography magnetic field amp mumbo-jumbo, unless that's all it is ...."
> from my post, eh Phil.

** Yep - cos it had SFA to do with the topics or Carver amplifiers.

> Actually Class G or H apparently. And apparently the little mains kick
> *is* all the 'magnetic field' mumbo-jumbo was about.

** It was a lot more in Carver amps.

The transformer based PSU was voltage regulating with up to 8 DC rails.

> And the 'sonic hologram' was something else entirely.

** A big, smelly red fish.

..... Phil

Old February 26th 21, 02:13 AM posted to rec.audio.pro

Don Pearce > wrote:
>>What do you use you blend it in so the sound is seamless? An equaliaer? The sub controls?

You start with the crossover, and then you consider equalization on top of
the crossover filters. The dbx DriveRack system is intended for PA
applications but can work okay in the studio too.
Old February 26th 21, 02:17 AM posted to rec.audio.pro

In article >, Trevor > wrote:

>Actually the acoustic space within headphone earcups do cause problems
>too. Even the space within your ear canal! And problems in rooms can be
>reduced by acoustic treatment.

The interesting thing is that because the volume (AND the volume of your
ear canal) are much smaller than a room, the chamber resonances that were
bass problems get moved up and turn into upper midrange problems. The bass
becomes easy since the volume is too small to have resonance issues, but
other things get harder.

Old February 26th 21, 09:32 AM posted to rec.audio.pro

Scott Dorsey wrote:
===============

> >Actually the acoustic space within headphone earcups do cause problems
> >too. Even the space within your ear canal!

> The interesting thing is that because the volume (AND the volume of your
> ear canal) are much smaller than a room, the chamber resonances that were
> bass problems get moved up and turn into upper midrange problems. The bass
> becomes easy since the volume is too small to have resonance issues, but
> other things get harder.

** There is no problem, other than how to sensibly measure the response of a headphone.
Using an imitation head with a tiny measurement mic buried inside the ear hole is ********.

The outer ear and ear canal does NOT create response anomalies for the * owner * of that ear.
The person's brain tunes them out so we hear sounds correctly.

FYI:

ES headphones are almost acoustically transparent, creating no trapped space for resonance to exist.
Other types having a weak air seal are not very different.

....... Phil

Car subwoofers gile Car Audio 0 October 3rd 07 10:29 PM
Looking for BLOWN MA AUDIO SUBWOOFERS & VISONIK SUBWOOFERS! RimShop Car Audio 1 October 22nd 04 07:26 PM
One amp for two subwoofers? nist7 Car Audio 4 December 26th 03 11:25 AM
Subwoofers Kim Inglar Car Audio 3 November 26th 03 01:02 PM
Subwoofers Mannie Smith High End Audio 3 August 14th 03 03:39 AM