Silly Question: Can an 8 Ohm Speaker on a 16 Ohm Output of a TubeAmp, Blow out the Main Fuse?

Old January 16th 21, 02:17 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Chris K-Man

Default Silly Question: Can an 8 Ohm Speaker on a 16 Ohm Output of a TubeAmp, Blow out the Main Fuse?

On Friday, January 15, 2021 at 11:42:10 PM UTC-5, palliom wrote:
> Chris K-Man wrote:
> ===============
> >
> > According to some of the 'experts' on here, those back side labels for impedance are "meaningless".

> ** Who the heck are they ?????
> > I choose to follow what the label says.

> ** OK - but meaningless it ain't .
>
> It will indicate, within a small margin of error the load impedance that gives the most clean watts.
> Usually having double the number is harmless, but less powerful.
> Going to half will shorten tube life or find any weak tube and make it fail.
>
> Fact:
>
> Many Fender *combo* amps, made in the 60 and 70s, have two speaker jacks on the back, wired in parallel.
> Fender Twins Reverb and the like.
>
> One customer of mine ( who played regularly in a local band) thought this meant there was additional power available to add an extension speaker. He was wrong and suffered very short tube life.
>
> I only found out by seeing him playing at a gig.
>

> ...... Phil

_______

Our very own Rivers, and Dorsey, to name a few.

But if I see "8-16ohms" on the back of an amp or receiver, that's the load of speakers I'll try to find for it.

I try to follow directions.
Old January 16th 21, 05:10 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
None

Dumb **** wrote in message

> But if I see "8-16ohms" on the back of an amp or receiver,
> that's the load of speakers I'll try to find for it.

Since you have no idea what speaker impedance is, and you're too retarded to
understand what 8 and 16 mean, that's probably the best plan. Especially
when you're too stupid to take simple advice from people who actually
understand this stuff. You like to mock people who are smarter than you are,
which gives you an infinite supply of targets. It makes you seem even more
retarded, if that's possible.

Old January 16th 21, 08:42 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Don Pearce[_3_]

On Thu, 14 Jan 2021 23:06:08 -0700, Paul Dorman >
wrote:

>This is on an Ampeg VT-60 amp. Here is the schematic:
>

>https://ampeg.com/support/files/Sche...SCHEMATICS.pdf
>

>It was the main AC fuse F1, a 2.5 Amp Slow-Blow fuse, that was blown open.
>
>Then I noticed the single 12" 8 Ohm speaker, was incorrectly hooked
>up to the 16 Ohm output. Was this possibly the cause of the blown
>fuse?
>
>Some people on the internet, feel that with tube guitar amps, the
>impedance of the speaker is not as critical as it is with solid-state
>amps, and that the main danger is to have a no-load condition (an open).

Simple answer. No. If the fuse is blowing there is very likely a
fault. But there are fuses, and there are fuses. As important as the
current rating is the delay. Some are instantaneous - these tend to be
filled with sand to ensure fast heating of the wire. Then there are
varying degrees of delay - T , 2T etc. These fuses are used where
large momentary switch-on inrush currents are expected. Anything that
uses a mains transformer would qualify.

If you happen to switch on as the mains is moving through the zero
part of the cycle, you'll get a big magnetizing current that dies away
over a couple of cycles. You'll probably hear a "boing" from the
transformer as it does it too.

Old January 29th 21, 02:44 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
sTeeVee

On Saturday, January 16, 2021 at 2:42:22 PM UTC-5, Don Pearce wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Jan 2021 23:06:08 -0700, Paul Dorman >
> wrote:
> >This is on an Ampeg VT-60 amp. Here is the schematic:
> >

> >https://ampeg.com/support/files/Sche...SCHEMATICS.pdf
> >

> >It was the main AC fuse F1, a 2.5 Amp Slow-Blow fuse, that was blown open.
> >
> >Then I noticed the single 12" 8 Ohm speaker, was incorrectly hooked
> >up to the 16 Ohm output. Was this possibly the cause of the blown
> >fuse?
> >
> >Some people on the internet, feel that with tube guitar amps, the
> >impedance of the speaker is not as critical as it is with solid-state
> >amps, and that the main danger is to have a no-load condition (an open).

> Simple answer. No. If the fuse is blowing there is very likely a
> fault. But there are fuses, and there are fuses. As important as the
> current rating is the delay. Some are instantaneous - these tend to be
> filled with sand to ensure fast heating of the wire. Then there are
> varying degrees of delay - T , 2T etc. These fuses are used where
> large momentary switch-on inrush currents are expected. Anything that
> uses a mains transformer would qualify.
>
> If you happen to switch on as the mains is moving through the zero
> part of the cycle, you'll get a big magnetizing current that dies away
> over a couple of cycles. You'll probably hear a "boing" from the
> transformer as it does it too.

None: Yikes! )