David Anderson

Default Russion PIO caps in crossovers?

I'm looking to upgrade the 5uF Mylar capacitors (2nd order Butterworth)
in my crossovers, and I've been looking around at the various options.
Unfortunately, it seems that most of the audiophile capacitors in this
range are fairly expensive. I have seen on the web where some Russian
K40Y9 paper in oil capacitors are available in 1uF 200V values at a
reasonable price.

Would it be a good idea to parallel five of these to make one 5uF paper
in oil? I could do my both entire crossovers for the price of one
Hovland 5uF MusiCap.

Thanks,
David
Robert Morein

I would think so.
These are power supply caps, so the foil is thick enough to result in low
ESR.
In addition, the oil dielectric probably has low residual polarizabilty,
good for audio.