Posted to rec.audio.pro
Gray_Wolf Gray_Wolf is offline

Default .acc?

https://www.engadget.com/2017/05/12/...long-live-aac/

Whot's dis aboot?
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 5/13/2017 6:20 PM, gray_wolf wrote:

https://www.engadget.com/2017/05/12/...long-live-aac/

Whot's dis aboot?

Alternative facts. There's no reason why MP3 to be abandoned. In fact,
now that it's license-free, there will probably be more software
available to convert good recordings to high bit rate MP3 files.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

And the key there is "high" bitrate -
256kbps or higher. It's not the
format that makes the difference,
it's the production! *Unless you're
ripping to slaggard bitrates, like
128, which I wouldn't use even to
store a phone conversation!
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 5/13/2017 6:57 PM, Mike Rivers wrote:
On 5/13/2017 6:20 PM, gray_wolf wrote:

https://www.engadget.com/2017/05/12/...long-live-aac/

Whot's dis aboot?

Alternative facts. There's no reason why MP3 to be abandoned. In fact, now that
it's license-free, there will probably be more software available to convert
good recordings to high bit rate MP3 files.

I'll just wait and see I suppose. At my age I probably couldn't hear the
difference :-)
I've been seeing more flac in the past few years. Never see ape or ogg anymore

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 5/14/2017 4:23 AM, gray_wolf wrote:
I'll just wait and see I suppose. At my age I probably couldn't hear the
difference :-)
I've been seeing more flac in the past few years. Never see ape or ogg
anymore

The thing about MP3 is that, for better or worse (which is a function of
the person creating the file), it's a well established standard for
audio files. Everybody has something that can play it.

The only time I ever used OGG for my own work was when I was trying out
a recording app that didn't offer MP3 conversion because the maker
didn't want to pay for the license. I didn't like that app very much so
I didn't bother with it, though I notice that a recent release (after
the MP3 patent expired) now includes an MP3 codec.

I remember when Real Audio was the standard and I had to get software to
play MP3 files. It wasn't long after that when there was a lot of
software that would play most audio formats, but that Windows Media
could only be played with the Windows Media Player.

So many standards, so little time.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

On 14/05/2017 9:22 PM, Mike Rivers wrote:
On 5/14/2017 4:23 AM, gray_wolf wrote:
I'll just wait and see I suppose. At my age I probably couldn't hear
the difference :-)
I've been seeing more flac in the past few years. Never see ape or ogg
anymore

The thing about MP3 is that, for better or worse (which is a function of
the person creating the file), it's a well established standard for
audio files. Everybody has something that can play it.

The only time I ever used OGG for my own work was when I was trying out
a recording app that didn't offer MP3 conversion because the maker
didn't want to pay for the license. I didn't like that app very much so
I didn't bother with it, though I notice that a recent release (after
the MP3 patent expired) now includes an MP3 codec.

Even though LAME "Aint an MP3 Encoder", it's always worked pretty well
with all MP3 decoders, and is free! Have been using LameXP for a long
time now to create both MP3 and FLAC versions of all my CD's.

Trevor.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 5/14/2017 8:42 AM, Trevor wrote:
Even though LAME "Aint an MP3 Encoder", it's always worked pretty well
with all MP3 decoders, and is free! Have been using LameXP for a long
time now to create both MP3 and FLAC versions of all my CD's.

Me, too. Proprietary software doesn't remain unique for very long.
People say that some MP3 encoders are better than others (LAME being one
of the better ones) with Fraunhofer being the best, but, frankly, I
never worried about it.

If I cared about the best quality, I'd just use WAV files. If I wanted
more audio in less storage space, it was something for which fidelity
wasn't critical for me. How much aural accuracy can you appreciate when
driving on the Interstate or flying across the country?

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 14/05/2017 00:57, Mike Rivers wrote:
On 5/13/2017 6:20 PM, gray_wolf wrote:

https://www.engadget.com/2017/05/12/...long-live-aac/

Whot's dis aboot?

Alternative facts. There's no reason why MP3 to be abandoned. In fact,
now that it's license-free, there will probably be more software
available to convert good recordings to high bit rate MP3 files.

LAME has been doing a very good job of producing MP3 compatible files
for a long time now, and is available for all platforms except, maybe,
Apple.

What will mainly be affected are small hand held recorders, if the
makers are licencing the mp3 production software and hardware from
Technicolor. Companies like Zoom will either have to find another way to
encde the files or start using other formats, which opens a wjole can of
worms for playback, as most players are firmware enabled for .mp3 or
..wav only.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Mike Rivers wrote:
On 5/13/2017 6:20 PM, gray_wolf wrote:

https://www.engadget.com/2017/05/12/...long-live-aac/

Whot's dis aboot?

Alternative facts. There's no reason why MP3 to be abandoned. In fact,
now that it's license-free, there will probably be more software
available to convert good recordings to high bit rate MP3 files.

LAME has been around for a long time, and it's always
worked for me.

--
Les Cargill

Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] jjaj1998@netscape.net is offline

On Sunday, May 14, 2017 at 4:23:48 AM UTC-4, gray_wolf wrote:
On 5/13/2017 6:57 PM, Mike Rivers wrote:
On 5/13/2017 6:20 PM, gray_wolf wrote:

https://www.engadget.com/2017/05/12/...long-live-aac/

Whot's dis aboot?

Alternative facts. There's no reason why MP3 to be abandoned. In fact, now that
it's license-free, there will probably be more software available to convert
good recordings to high bit rate MP3 files.

I'll just wait and see I suppose. At my age I probably couldn't hear the
difference :-)
I've been seeing more flac in the past few years. Never see ape or ogg anymore

You MAY not lose anything with Flac, but horrible sounding audio will sound just that way in ANY format. Back in the Napster days, I founds a song I liked, it was only 96kpbs. However, it sounded better than the average 128 and 160 kbps MP3.

People are bean counters, higher bitrate to them means higher quality sound.

Right.

Jack
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Sunday, May 14, 2017 at 7:22:26 AM UTC-4, Mike Rivers wrote:
On 5/14/2017 4:23 AM, gray_wolf wrote:
I'll just wait and see I suppose. At my age I probably couldn't hear the
difference :-)
I've been seeing more flac in the past few years. Never see ape or ogg
anymore

The thing about MP3 is that, for better or worse (which is a function of
the person creating the file), it's a well established standard for
audio files. Everybody has something that can play it.

The only time I ever used OGG for my own work was when I was trying out
a recording app that didn't offer MP3 conversion because the maker
didn't want to pay for the license. I didn't like that app very much so
I didn't bother with it, though I notice that a recent release (after
the MP3 patent expired) now includes an MP3 codec.

..OGG is often use to trade multi-tracks, but requires many files. I GUESS .Mogg means Multiple Oggs.

Jack

I remember when Real Audio was the standard and I had to get software to
play MP3 files. It wasn't long after that when there was a lot of
software that would play most audio formats, but that Windows Media
could only be played with the Windows Media Player.

So many standards, so little time.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Saturday, May 13, 2017 at 6:20:26 PM UTC-4, gray_wolf wrote:
https://www.engadget.com/2017/05/12/...long-live-aac/

Whot's dis aboot?

David Lumb of the Dumb :-)

Jack
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

On 14/05/2017 10:56 PM, Mike Rivers wrote:
On 5/14/2017 8:42 AM, Trevor wrote:
Even though LAME "Aint an MP3 Encoder", it's always worked pretty well
with all MP3 decoders, and is free! Have been using LameXP for a long
time now to create both MP3 and FLAC versions of all my CD's.

Me, too. Proprietary software doesn't remain unique for very long.
People say that some MP3 encoders are better than others (LAME being one
of the better ones) with Fraunhofer being the best, but, frankly, I
never worried about it.

If I cared about the best quality, I'd just use WAV files.

I do for all serious listening.

If I wanted
more audio in less storage space, it was something for which fidelity
wasn't critical for me. How much aural accuracy can you appreciate when
driving on the Interstate or flying across the country?

Dead right, what with road noise etc. and the fact I don't have a sound
system in my car equal to my lounge room or studio, even 128kbs does the
job for me in the car. But with storage what it is now, I'd never create
a 128kbs file even for the car any more.

Trevor.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

On 14/05/2017 11:05 PM, John Williamson wrote:
LAME has been doing a very good job of producing MP3 compatible files
for a long time now, and is available for all platforms except, maybe,
Apple.

What will mainly be affected are small hand held recorders, if the
makers are licencing the mp3 production software and hardware from
Technicolor. Companies like Zoom will either have to find another way to
encde the files or start using other formats, which opens a wjole can of
worms for playback, as most players are firmware enabled for .mp3 or
.wav only.

What have I missed? Why should Zoom need to stop providing MP3 recording
and playback? Not that I have EVER used my Zoom to record in MP3 anyway.
(can easily convert later if needed, and I don't need to record days at
a time onto one card.)
It does make a nice MP3 player though. Rather have one than any iPod.

Trevor.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 15/05/2017 09:09, Trevor wrote:
[...]

Technicolor and Fraunhofer have announced they will no longer be issuing
licences to use their patented software and hardware to create mp3
files, and will be withdrawing support for it. As Zoom and other makers
need licences to legally give their products mp3 capability, they will
no longer be able to make new designs that encode audio as mp3. Current
designs are licenced, and production can be continued under the terms of
that licence, but new stuff isn't and won't be able to be.

Alternative methods of producing files compatible with mp3 players are
not affected, so we may see LAME or other encoders embedded in
standalone recorders, and the firmware modified to use a Linux kernel.
The problem for the makers is that they are not permitted to call the
compatible files "mp3 format" or use the trademarked logo.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 5/15/2017 6:19 AM, John Williamson wrote:
Technicolor and Fraunhofer have announced they will no longer be issuing
licences to use their patented software and hardware to create mp3
files, and will be withdrawing support for it.

That's because the patent expired. The technology is available for
anyone to use at no cost. They're moving on to making money off other
things.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

In article , Mike Rivers wrote:
On 5/15/2017 6:19 AM, John Williamson wrote:
Technicolor and Fraunhofer have announced they will no longer be issuing
licences to use their patented software and hardware to create mp3
files, and will be withdrawing support for it.

That's because the patent expired. The technology is available for
anyone to use at no cost. They're moving on to making money off other
things.

Right, which is the whole point of the AAC encoder, which is really based on
the same perceptual model as MP3 with a slightly different data format. It
exists in order to fill the financial void being created by the loss of the
mp3 patent.

But even though the mp3 patent is going away, the mp3 trademark remains, and
if fraunhofer is smart they are going to try to protect that trademark.
Refusing to issue new licenses for the encoder, though, might cut into profits
for the AAC encoder but it also is going to hurt the value of the mp3 trademark
which is likely worth more.

It is an interesting world.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

In article , Mike Rivers wrote:
If I cared about the best quality, I'd just use WAV files. If I wanted
more audio in less storage space, it was something for which fidelity
wasn't critical for me. How much aural accuracy can you appreciate when
driving on the Interstate or flying across the country?

I have customers who want me to deliver mp3 files as well as the wav files
or lacquers, so they can make them directly downloadable.

I have other customers who are perfectly willing to do their own mp3 encoding,
but I send them mp3 files too because I'd rather have control over the encoding
process than let them do it on their toaster.

So... yeah, it's a compromised format, but people want to use it, and so it's
important to do it as well as possible. I felt the same way about cassette
tape bin mastering, too.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] jjaj1998@netscape.net is offline

On Saturday, May 13, 2017 at 6:20:26 PM UTC-4, gray_wolf wrote:
https://www.engadget.com/2017/05/12/...long-live-aac/

Whot's dis aboot?

Old news!....

"The death of the MP3 was announced in a conference room in Erlangen, Germany, in the spring of 1995."

That engadget.com dipwad.

Jack

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

On 15/05/2017 8:19 PM, John Williamson wrote:
[...]

NOT so, the reason it is no longer to be licensed is that the patents
expire and it won't be necessary any more. As for support, I don't think
Fraunhofer have done anything with MP3 for years anyway.

Alternative methods of producing files compatible with mp3 players
are not affected, so we may see LAME or other encoders embedded in
standalone recorders, and the firmware modified to use a Linux
kernel. The problem for the makers is that they are not permitted to
call the compatible files "mp3 format" or use the trademarked logo.

They will still be able to call them MP3 once the patents expire, and I
doubt anyone cares about the LOGO anyway, assuming the trademark is even
renewed. However I expect most companies won't bother supporting MP3
recording as there are better formats now and storage costs have
diminished substantially since MP3 was invented. I do expect (and sure
hope) they continue to support MP3 playback for legacy files however.
Since that is not difficult or expensive to do, I would expect most
will. Companies like APPLE who like to NEVER do anything that is the
norm, will probably ignore it I expect. No loss there.

Trevor.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

So ability for portable devices to
play back MP3 files will not go
away for a long time, hopefully.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Mike Rivers:

Great article, and reassuring!

So the demise of mp3
depends mostly on how
quickly other formats
supplant and supercede it.

Until such time, mp3 remains,
in strictly marketing terms, a
'mature' product.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Did MP3 PLAYERS need to pay for a license for the MP3 DECODER?

I thought the decoder was made freely available.
There was a fee to license the ENCODER. Same model as PDF reader/writer.

Was that not the case?

So now both decoder and encoder will be freely available?

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Tuesday, May 16, 2017 at 12:57:14 PM UTC-4, Mike Rivers wrote:
On 5/16/2017 6:37 AM, wrote:
So ability for portable devices to
play back MP3 files will not go
away for a long time, hopefully.

Here's a relatively intelligent and accurate article from The Washington
Post today:

http://tinyurl.com/kh4buyc

"MP3 and all these other compressed music forms are horrible. They cut off the high and lows and are tinny sounding".

There's one in every crowd.

Jack

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Tuesday, May 16, 2017 at 6:37:48 AM UTC-4, wrote:
So ability for portable devices to
play back MP3 files will not go
away for a long time, hopefully.

Remember when Microsoft attacked Nullsoft's WinAmp since it could decode Microsoft's .wma files? At that time, Windows Media player couldn't play nor record .mp3 format, but it can now.

As I wrote on my site, even though Neil Young calls MP3s "crap", I think they're one of man's greatest creations.

Jack
Posted to rec.audio.pro

I believe that was the case. Remember that "players" don't record. Many
"app level" recording programs that were free or dirt cheap (like the IK
Multimedia iRig Recorder or TapeMachine, the one I use on my phone) cost
extra for MP3 encoding. Audacity never included MP3 encoding, but always
made it easy to get the free LAME encoder.

OK thanks, that's what I thought..