Posted to rec.audio.pro
Nate Najar Nate Najar is offline

Default Atlas swivel mount

Apparently atlas doesn't make the swivel mount anymore for a regular 5/8" mic stand. You can buy a replacement part for the large studio boom, but that has a 7/8" mount for the larger diameter tube of the studio boom. They used to have a product called SW-1B gyro-microphone swivel mount which is perfect because you can put it on a regular sized 5/8" boom but now you have the ability to articulate the mic like on a studio boom.

Does anyone have any they'd be willing to part with or otherwise know where on can find some? I'm really surprised atlas no longer makes these and doubly surprised no one else seems to either, although it's a damned difficult type of thing to google for....
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 4/28/2017 11:07 PM, Nate Najar wrote:
Apparently atlas doesn't make the swivel mount anymore for a regular
5/8" mic stand.

Does anyone have any they'd be willing to part with or otherwise know
where on can find some? I'm really surprised atlas no longer makes
these and doubly surprised no one else seems to either, although it's
a damned difficult type of thing to google for....

Someone does. Take a look at the Triad-Orbit M1-R.
http://www.triad-orbit.com/io-components

--
"Today's production equipment is IT based and cannot be operated without
a passing knowledge of computing, although it seems that it can be

Drop by http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com now and then
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Nate Najar wrote:
Apparently atlas doesn't make the swivel mount anymore for a regular 5/8" m=
ic stand. You can buy a replacement part for the large studio boom, but th=
at has a 7/8" mount for the larger diameter tube of the studio boom. They =
used to have a product called SW-1B gyro-microphone swivel mount which is p=
erfect because you can put it on a regular sized 5/8" boom but now you have=
the ability to articulate the mic like on a studio boom.

Call Latch Lake.
I don't think they actually make such a thing, but they are very interested
in adding stuff like this to their line if they know there is need.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 4/29/2017 7:44 AM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
Call Latch Lake.

Jeff Roberts doesn't like the Triad-Orbit stuff very much (his heavy
duty stands are a quote a bit more substantial than the Triad) but for
small parts like the swivel, the off-the-shelf Triad seems to be pretty
sturdy. I was just playing with one this week at the NAB show.

--
"Today's production equipment is IT based and cannot be operated without
a passing knowledge of computing, although it seems that it can be
operated without a passing knowledge of audio" - John Watkinson

Drop by http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com now and then
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Nate Najar Nate Najar is offline

Mike you found it! That should do the job.

Latch lake does make one but it's super heavy duty and would too greatly unbalance a regular stand. It's just too big and too heavy. I know because I have a few of the latch lake "spin grips" on my mic king stands. And they're perfect there. I want to be able to have that type of articulation on a regular book stand as well. I'll check out the triad that Mike mentioned.

Those little atlas ones are the best though, I'm gutted and surprised they stopped making them!

Posted to rec.audio.pro

In article , Mike Rivers wrote:
On 4/29/2017 7:44 AM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
Call Latch Lake.

Jeff Roberts doesn't like the Triad-Orbit stuff very much (his heavy
duty stands are a quote a bit more substantial than the Triad) but for
small parts like the swivel, the off-the-shelf Triad seems to be pretty
sturdy. I was just playing with one this week at the NAB show.

I have seen the Triad stuff at shows but never used it. The whole ball
mount idea seems kind of gimmicky to me.

So, at NAB, did you see the talk on distortion analysis from Steve Dove?

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default NAB Talks (was Atlas swivel mount)

On 4/29/2017 9:09 AM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
So, at NAB, did you see the talk on distortion analysis from Steve Dove?

No. I didn't know that it was coming. Might have been interesting. The
only talk I attended was FCC Commissiioner Adjit Pai's keynote address.
It disturbed me some that he seems to not be encouraging the continuance
of traditional over-the-air broadcast. With stations giving up their
full power licenses to the cellular providers, his plan is to assist
them in getting set up with low power FM and streaming. I've always
considered those to be an adjunct to broadcasting and, for example, lets
me listen to Bluegrass Country when I'm in a hotel across the country.
But it doesn't help me to listen to it in my car when I'm in town, or
even in my house in rooms that aren't "wired" to the Internet. And this
was a BROADCASTERS convention.

I'm too old to buy into needing a computer and a data plan in order to
listen to what has, all my life, just been there in the air for the taking.

--
"Today's production equipment is IT based and cannot be operated without
a passing knowledge of computing, although it seems that it can be
operated without a passing knowledge of audio" - John Watkinson

Drop by http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com now and then
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Mike Rivers wrote:
[...]

It's still over the air. It's just some streaming service on a cell
phone. They've managed to make a transistor radio that costs $800 and
$30 a month.

--
Les Cargill

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 4/29/2017 12:19 PM, Les Cargill wrote:
It's still over the air. It's just some streaming service on a cell
phone. They've managed to make a transistor radio that costs $800 and
$30 a month.

That's exactly my problem. Then add in the mediocre fidelity and the
advice as to what I should listen to next (that's free).

--
"Today's production equipment is IT based and cannot be operated without
a passing knowledge of computing, although it seems that it can be
operated without a passing knowledge of audio" - John Watkinson

Drop by http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com now and then
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Mike Rivers wrote:
On 4/29/2017 12:19 PM, Les Cargill wrote:
It's still over the air. It's just some streaming service on a cell
phone. They've managed to make a transistor radio that costs $800 and
$30 a month.

That's exactly my problem. Then add in the mediocre fidelity and the
advice as to what I should listen to next (that's free).

There is another aspect: Thomas Dolby was flogging his book on BookTv.

He couldn't figure out why ringtones were selling fro $2.50 a pop, but
nobody was buying downloads of the entire song for $99.

Then he was some kids at a mall. He decided th kids don't
need a music budget - they can get all they want for free, but
the ringtone was a fashion statement. Kids still have a budget
for fashion.

Branding: It's not just for cattle any more.

--
Les Cargill

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

On 2/05/2017 10:24 AM, Les Cargill wrote:
There is another aspect: Thomas Dolby was flogging his book on BookTv.

He couldn't figure out why ringtones were selling fro $2.50 a pop, but
nobody was buying downloads of the entire song for $99.

I'M not surprised people would not pay $99!
:-)

Then he was some kids at a mall. He decided th kids don't
need a music budget - they can get all they want for free, but
the ringtone was a fashion statement. Kids still have a budget
for fashion.

Which is a sad comment on their intelligence considering you can make
your own ring tones from the complete track with free software.

Trevor.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 05/05/2017 03:49, Trevor wrote:
On 2/05/2017 10:24 AM, Les Cargill wrote:
There is another aspect: Thomas Dolby was flogging his book on BookTv.

He couldn't figure out why ringtones were selling fro $2.50 a pop, but
nobody was buying downloads of the entire song for $99.

I'M not surprised people would not pay $99!
:-)

Missing decimal point, but they still wouldn't pay 99 cents. Or, as it
is now, a dollar twenty nine.

Then he was some kids at a mall. He decided th kids don't
need a music budget - they can get all they want for free, but
the ringtone was a fashion statement. Kids still have a budget
for fashion.

Which is a sad comment on their intelligence considering you can make
your own ring tones from the complete track with free software.

That would mean (a) finding the track online to download and (b)
learning how to use software to get the edited track into the right
place on the phone, which is suspiciously like hard work. It's easier to
pay the extra for the already edited ringtone, which arrives as a
packaged multimedia message which dumps the ringtone into the phone's
memory and installs it as default.

It takes me a few minutes using Audacity and a file manager, but I
already know how to edit tracks and convert file formats. At my normal
rate of pay, it's actually more cost effective to download the ringtone
and pay the extra buck or so.

Most kids nowadays are only users of the technology, with minimal
understanding of how it actually works.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 5/5/2017 6:01 AM, John Williamson wrote:
That would mean (a) finding the track online to download and (b)
learning how to use software to get the edited track into the right
place on the phone, which is suspiciously like hard work. It's easier to
pay the extra for the already edited ringtone, which arrives as a
packaged multimedia message which dumps the ringtone into the phone's
memory and installs it as default.

It was this presumed reluctance, or ignorance of technology, that made
the music industry think that CDs couldn't be copied. That didn't work
out very well. Copying a CD to DAT or cassette seemed to have them
stopped cold, though. Not because they couldn't figure out how to
connect an output to an input, but rather that it wouldn't be a "perfect
clone" and therefore not be good enough.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 05/05/2017 12:22, Mike Rivers wrote:
On 5/5/2017 6:01 AM, John Williamson wrote:
That would mean (a) finding the track online to download and (b)
learning how to use software to get the edited track into the right
place on the phone, which is suspiciously like hard work. It's easier to
pay the extra for the already edited ringtone, which arrives as a
packaged multimedia message which dumps the ringtone into the phone's
memory and installs it as default.

It was this presumed reluctance, or ignorance of technology, that made
the music industry think that CDs couldn't be copied. That didn't work
out very well. Copying a CD to DAT or cassette seemed to have them
stopped cold, though. Not because they couldn't figure out how to
connect an output to an input, but rather that it wouldn't be a "perfect
clone" and therefore not be good enough.

I'm talking from experience, as I work in the same area as young phone
users day to day, and overhear stuff. I do hear them being asked to send
a ringtone to another phone from time to time, so piracy there is alive
and well. I also know they will send texts from one end of the bus to
the other, rather than shout.

I very rarely hear them being asked to transfer songs, but that may just
mean they are all on Spotify or similar. I know the first thing they
tend to ask for is the wifi password for the bus wifi system, so maybe
they are just streaming stuff instead of downloading and keeping it local.

Back in the day, though, a commercial CD was a reasonably large
investment, and if you could make a perfect copy, it was worth taking a
bit of trouble. Most of the people I knew after CD became mainstream had
computers with 2 CD drives in. Copies to DAT were rare because nobody
had a recorder, as nobody released commercial recordings on the format.
In the same way, all my friends and I copied singles and LPs onto tape
or cassette, but most of us would buy the original for the quality and
the convenience, then copy it onto a cassette to listen to while out and
about. As music is now so relatively cheap, there's not the same
incentive to learn how to copy it.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 6/05/2017 12:07 AM, John Williamson wrote:

I'm talking from experience, as I work in the same area as young phone
users day to day, and overhear stuff. I do hear them being asked to send
a ringtone to another phone from time to time, so piracy there is alive
and well. I also know they will send texts from one end of the bus to
the other, rather than shout.

Yeah but generally they could give a stuff about the * sonic quality *
of the ringtone, other than 'incredibly muffled'.

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 05/05/2017 13:25, geoff wrote:
On 6/05/2017 12:07 AM, John Williamson wrote:

I'm talking from experience, as I work in the same area as young phone
users day to day, and overhear stuff. I do hear them being asked to send
a ringtone to another phone from time to time, so piracy there is alive
and well. I also know they will send texts from one end of the bus to
the other, rather than shout.

Yeah but generally they could give a stuff about the * sonic quality *
of the ringtone, other than 'incredibly muffled'.

"Mosquito" ring tones way up in the frequency range are popular, as
teachers can't hear them. But if I send a ringtone to you as a
multimedia message, it is bit for bit identical to the one I have on my
phone, with no loss of quality.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 6/05/2017 12:40 AM, John Williamson wrote:
On 05/05/2017 13:25, geoff wrote:
On 6/05/2017 12:07 AM, John Williamson wrote:

I'm talking from experience, as I work in the same area as young phone
users day to day, and overhear stuff. I do hear them being asked to send
a ringtone to another phone from time to time, so piracy there is alive
and well. I also know they will send texts from one end of the bus to
the other, rather than shout.

Yeah but generally they could give a stuff about the * sonic quality *
of the ringtone, other than 'incredibly muffled'.

"Mosquito" ring tones way up in the frequency range are popular, as
teachers can't hear them. But if I send a ringtone to you as a
multimedia message, it is bit for bit identical to the one I have on my
phone, with no loss of quality.

Referring to recorded ringtones in comparison with the actual audio
source. Yeah I know, not quite the point ....

geoff
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Trevor wrote:
On 2/05/2017 10:24 AM, Les Cargill wrote:
There is another aspect: Thomas Dolby was flogging his book on BookTv.

He couldn't figure out why ringtones were selling fro $2.50 a pop, but
nobody was buying downloads of the entire song for $99.

I'M not surprised people would not pay $99!

Ah, but think if they would, right?

:-)

Then he was some kids at a mall. He decided th kids don't
need a music budget - they can get all they want for free, but
the ringtone was a fashion statement. Kids still have a budget
for fashion.

Which is a sad comment on their intelligence considering you can make
your own ring tones from the complete track with free software.

I'm not sure most kids even think in those terms, especially middle
school age kids. I expect you or I may have thought that way because
our parents may have experienced some degree of privation and taught
us that sort of frugality. Perhaps that's less common now.

Trevor.

--
Les Cargill

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Mike Rivers wrote:
On 5/5/2017 6:01 AM, John Williamson wrote:
That would mean (a) finding the track online to download and (b)
learning how to use software to get the edited track into the
right place on the phone, which is suspiciously like hard work.
It's easier to pay the extra for the already edited ringtone, which
arrives as a packaged multimedia message which dumps the ringtone
into the phone's memory and installs it as default.

It was this presumed reluctance, or ignorance of technology, that
made the music industry think that CDs couldn't be copied.

At the advent of the CD, this was true - it would have taken relatively
large, expensive machines and would not have been even close to
worth it.

Even the first few years of the CD-R, the blanks were about the price of
a used CD. This changed somewhere between 1995 and 1998 or so.

That
didn't work out very well. Copying a CD to DAT or cassette seemed to
have them stopped cold, though. Not because they couldn't figure out
how to connect an output to an input, but rather that it wouldn't be
a "perfect clone" and therefore not be good enough.

They'd had people making analog-domain dupes of things since forever, so
that seemed obvious enough.

--
Les Cargill

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 5/7/2017 9:55 AM, Les Cargill wrote:
At the advent of the CD, this was true - it would have taken relatively
large, expensive machines and would not have been even close to
worth it.

Even the first few years of the CD-R, the blanks were about the price of
a used CD. This changed somewhere between 1995 and 1998 or so.

And of course now blank CDs are cheap as dirt, however, there are more
laptop computers than desktop computers these days (except, of course
for us fossils, to which those "rules" don't apply), and laptops no
longer have CD/DVD drives.

They'd had people making analog-domain dupes of things since forever, so
that seemed obvious enough.

To us, sure, but by the time the idea of copying CDs like we used to
tape records came around, there were more of "them" than there were
"us." They never taped records, so it never occurred to them to connect
the audio output of a CD player to something that could make a recording.

Everyone under 20 years old who has a receiver with tape outputs raise
your hand.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Les Cargill wrote:
At the advent of the CD, this was true - it would have taken relatively
large, expensive machines and would not have been even close to
worth it.

Users could still copy CDs to cassettes and pass them around. And they did.
But, the higher audio quality of the CD gave it some perceived value. These
days I think the value of higher audio quality is less recognized.

Even the first few years of the CD-R, the blanks were about the price of
a used CD. This changed somewhere between 1995 and 1998 or so.

I think the first box of 63 minute blanks I bought were about $60 each.
They dropped down to around $20 or so within a year. I think I was charging
around $175 each for a straight dub, which was an hour of studio time plus
media costs. I had rigged up an arrangement to dub tape to CD-R in realtime
without stopping, so I could use the existing A/B mastering desk to make CD-Rs
without E32s and with correct PQ subcode.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 8/05/2017 1:55 AM, Les Cargill wrote:
..

Even the first few years of the CD-R, the blanks were about the price of
a used CD. This changed somewhere between 1995 and 1998 or so.

Not to mention the most commonly available writer being so poor it made
far more coasters than CDs. Thanks HP.

geoff
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Gray_Wolf Gray_Wolf is offline

.

Even the first few years of the CD-R, the blanks were about the price of
a used CD. This changed somewhere between 1995 and 1998 or so.

Not to mention the most commonly available writer being so poor it made far more
coasters than CDs. Thanks HP.

geoff

Thanks for reminding me how bad it was. I had forgotten. In 1993 I had a
Packard Bell
pos with an upgraded 80486 something or other with a clock speed of 50 MHz? I could
burn a CD in about 20 - 30 min. as long as I didn't sneeze. Life got better when
I put that
piece of trash, that I had 3 grand in, out for the garbage man.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] jjaj1998@netscape.net is offline

On Sunday, May 7, 2017 at 3:56:19 PM UTC-4, geoff wrote:
On 8/05/2017 1:55 AM, Les Cargill wrote:
.

Even the first few years of the CD-R, the blanks were about the price of
a used CD. This changed somewhere between 1995 and 1998 or so.

Not to mention the most commonly available writer being so poor it made
far more coasters than CDs. Thanks HP.

Not HP's fault, just like audio, computers were too slow to handle the amount of data CD writers needed.

Jack

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro

I rest my case, your honor.

PDFTT

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Les Cargill wrote:

I'm not sure most kids even think in those terms, especially middle
school age kids. I expect you or I may have thought that way because
our parents may have experienced some degree of privation and taught
us that sort of frugality. Perhaps that's less common now.

I think it's less frugality, I think it's more a matter that kids don't think
about making things being a solution to not having something. And that is
the fault of parents and (to a lesser extent) schools.

I commend the "Maker Movement" for trying to change this although they have
a long way to go.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

On 8/05/2017 12:16 AM, Mike Rivers wrote:
And of course now blank CDs are cheap as dirt, however, there are more
laptop computers than desktop computers these days (except, of course
for us fossils, to which those "rules" don't apply), and laptops no
longer have CD/DVD drives.

And since you can fit quite a few uncompressed albums on a thumb drive,
(many more MP3) or thousands on a portable external hard drive, that's
no longer relevent. Hardly ever burn a CD or DVD these days when I can
get 32GB USB memory sticks for $10, and 2TB hard drives for under $100.
So what I count is ~$200 for 2 drives (one backup copy) equals
approximately 4,000 CD's, or 5cents each including backup, even more if
converted to FLAC.

Trevor.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 5/9/2017 12:23 AM, Trevor wrote:
Hardly ever burn a CD or DVD these days when I can get 32GB USB memory
sticks for $10, and 2TB hard drives for under $100.

That's fine if the only way you listen to music is on a computer, and
for many people it is. How do you store your memory sticks? And how do
you know which one to plug in in order to play a particular song? And
how do you connect a 2 TB hard drive and put it in your pocket?

You and I live in different times and live different lives, son.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 9/05/2017 10:53 PM, Mike Rivers wrote:
On 5/9/2017 12:23 AM, Trevor wrote:
Hardly ever burn a CD or DVD these days when I can get 32GB USB memory
sticks for $10, and 2TB hard drives for under $100.

That's fine if the only way you listen to music is on a computer, and
for many people it is. How do you store your memory sticks? And how do
you know which one to plug in in order to play a particular song? And
how do you connect a 2 TB hard drive and put it in your pocket?

You and I live in different times and live different lives, son.

I'm more in the same world as you Mike. I grab a CD, stick it in a
player that I know and trust (NAD M5), and more often than not play the
whole thing while occasionally consulting the liner notes.

Memory sticks - so easy to lose track of.

Media servers - great if you know and trust your D-A, and have good
self-discipline.

I have all both of the above and probably other options as well, but
generally just select a CD off my rack, or occasionally an LP, or a
SACD, or DVD, or a Blu-Ray, stick it on, and play it.

But that's just me.

geoff
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Michael Beacom[_4_] Michael Beacom[_4_] is offline

On 2017-04-29 06:07:04 +0000, Nate Najar said:

Apparently atlas doesn't make the swivel mount anymore for a regular
5/8" mic stand. You can buy a replacement part for the large studio
boom, but that has a 7/8" mount for the larger diameter tube of the
studio boom. They used to have a product called SW-1B gyro-microphone
swivel mount which is perfect because you can put it on a regular sized
5/8" boom but now you have the ability to articulate the mic like on a
studio boom.

Does anyone have any they'd be willing to part with or otherwise know
where on can find some? I'm really surprised atlas no longer makes
these and doubly surprised no one else seems to either, although it's a
damned difficult type of thing to google for....

Try On Stage- they have somethings simular.

https://on-stage.com/products/category/posi-loksystem
https://on-stage.com/products/view/13016/117191

Cheers
Mike

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Nate Najar Nate Najar is offline

I have everything cd related on a server and cd's in boxes in storage. Lps are of course on the shelf. I think I need to put the cd's back on the shelf. A friend asked to borrow a certain disc and I went into the cd boxes to find it and I couldn't believe all the stuff I own that I forgot I had. It's all on the server but man is it easy to not realize what you have. The actual cd cases with spines makes it so much easier to identify something to listen to.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

On 9/05/2017 8:53 PM, Mike Rivers wrote:
On 5/9/2017 12:23 AM, Trevor wrote:
Hardly ever burn a CD or DVD these days when I can get 32GB USB memory
sticks for $10, and 2TB hard drives for under $100.

That's fine if the only way you listen to music is on a computer, and
for many people it is.

Not played ON a computer, simply played FROM a computer, smart TV, MP3
player, whatever.

How do you store your memory sticks? And how do
you know which one to plug in in order to play a particular song?

The one I just copied the songs to from my hard drive! (And my database
shows me in seconds exactly what hard drive I need) I don't actually
have hundreds of USB sticks sitting around for storage when I already
said 2TB of storage *WITH* a complete backup copy drive (4TB total) is
under $200 these days! And will fit in a shirt pocket. Sure beats a
warehouse full of tapes, or a house full of CD's or vinyl. :-)

And
how do you connect a 2 TB hard drive and put it in your pocket?

PLENTY of 2TB (even 3 or 4TB) USB portable drives will fit in your shirt
pocket these days! I have many. And you can get a complete digital audio
player that will fit in your shirt pocket that can take 128GB or more of
SD/uSD card storage. Is that enough uncompressed albums to be carrying
around in your shirt pocket Vs a big truck full of CD's, tapes or vinyl?
If not simply swap in another SD card! Quite a few will fit in the same
shirt pocket as the player! :-)

You and I live in different times and live different lives, son.

I know that, you still prefer tape and I moved on a few decades ago!
Each to his own, but I'm sure *GLAD* of progress myself.

Trevor.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

On 10/05/2017 12:38 PM, Nate Najar wrote:
I have everything cd related on a server and cd's in boxes in
storage. Lps are of course on the shelf. I think I need to put the
cd's back on the shelf. A friend asked to borrow a certain disc and
I went into the cd boxes to find it and I couldn't believe all the
stuff I own that I forgot I had. It's all on the server but man is
it easy to not realize what you have. The actual cd cases with
spines makes it so much easier to identify something to listen to.

I find the reverse is true by far. Having a data base access to
*everything* I own makes it FAR easier to search for songs or albums or
song-writers, or genre, or whatever I need than looking through a few
thousand spines! And if I'm in the mood I simply set it to play
*everything* at random. Would take far too many years to hear it all in
my case, but guaranteed to hear things you forgot you had.

Trevor.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 5/10/2017 7:25 AM, Trevor wrote:
I don't actually have hundreds of USB sticks sitting around for storage
when I already said 2TB of storage *WITH* a complete backup copy drive
(4TB total) is under $200 these days! And will fit in a shirt pocket.
Sure beats a warehouse full of tapes, or a house full of CD's or vinyl. :-)

I don't have a warehouse full of tapes or a house full of CDs or vinyl.
I have shelves (total cost about $50) and I can read titles right off
the media. I don't need a data base and computer to access it. It took
an afternoon to build the shelves and I never have to do any maintenance
on them. The "data base" gets updated automatically when I get a new
disk and put it on the shelf in its appropriate place.

What I don't have is a great memory of what I have and don't have, but
at this stage of my life, I don't really care. The time I spend actually
attentively listening to music is pretty small, so it doesn't really
matter if I can't find something instantly.

For casual listening, like you, I take advantage of digital sources. I
"tune in" to a radio station on my computer and it entertains me while
I'm working or piddling in the shop or cooking dinner. When I'm on a
long drive or flight, I load up my phone with about 20 hours of 2- or
3-hour radio programs that I have a computer set up to record weekly
("air checks"). I don't care what they're playing for me because I like
the programmers' choices and genre, and I'm not listening critically
anyway.

PLENTY of 2TB (even 3 or 4TB) USB portable drives will fit in your shirt
pocket these days! I have many. And you can get a complete digital audio
player that will fit in your shirt pocket that can take 128GB or more of
SD/uSD card storage.

I've had several of those that I used for travel. Now that I can put a
32 GB memory card in my phone, I use that because it's one less thing to
take along, charge or power, and hook up. I consider all of the music
that I play from my phone (or media player) to be temporary. When I get
back from a trip, I'll delete what I've listened to and load it up for
the next trip.

Is that enough uncompressed albums to be carrying
around in your shirt pocket Vs a big truck full of CD's, tapes or vinyl?

When I made a cross-country drive back in 1999, I had a dozen CDs stuck
in one of those slip-in sleeves that goes over the car's sun visor, and
I had a box of about 20 cassettes on the seat next to me. I heard a few
things more than once, but then they were things I liked, or at least
that didn't bother me.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

On 10/05/2017 9:46 PM, Mike Rivers wrote:
On 5/10/2017 7:25 AM, Trevor wrote:
I don't actually have hundreds of USB sticks sitting around for storage
when I already said 2TB of storage *WITH* a complete backup copy drive
(4TB total) is under $200 these days! And will fit in a shirt pocket.
Sure beats a warehouse full of tapes, or a house full of CD's or
vinyl. :-)

I don't have a warehouse full of tapes or a house full of CDs or vinyl.
I have shelves (total cost about $50) and I can read titles right off
the media. I don't need a data base and computer to access it. It took
an afternoon to build the shelves and I never have to do any maintenance
on them. The "data base" gets updated automatically when I get a new
disk and put it on the shelf in its appropriate place.

Yes that worked for me too when I was young and just starting a collection.

What I don't have is a great memory of what I have and don't have, but
at this stage of my life, I don't really care. The time I spend actually
attentively listening to music is pretty small, so it doesn't really
matter if I can't find something instantly.

For casual listening, like you, I take advantage of digital sources. I
"tune in" to a radio station on my computer and it entertains me while
I'm working or piddling in the shop or cooking dinner. When I'm on a
long drive or flight, I load up my phone with about 20 hours of 2- or
3-hour radio programs that I have a computer set up to record weekly
("air checks"). I don't care what they're playing for me because I like
the programmers' choices and genre, and I'm not listening critically
anyway.

Not like me then. I like my music collection and rarely listen to the
radio (or internet radio) these days.

PLENTY of 2TB (even 3 or 4TB) USB portable drives will fit in your shirt
pocket these days! I have many. And you can get a complete digital audio
player that will fit in your shirt pocket that can take 128GB or more of
SD/uSD card storage.

I've had several of those that I used for travel. Now that I can put a
32 GB memory card in my phone, I use that because it's one less thing to
take along, charge or power, and hook up. I consider all of the music
that I play from my phone (or media player) to be temporary. When I get
back from a trip, I'll delete what I've listened to and load it up for
the next trip.

Which is what I do, except I don't use a phone since they rarely have
decent sound quality. I believe they are getting better, but I'm not
spending $1k on a phone! And yes I could get a blutooth adapter or
something if I needed to, but my car can already play digital files OK.

Is that enough uncompressed albums to be carrying
around in your shirt pocket Vs a big truck full of CD's, tapes or vinyl?

When I made a cross-country drive back in 1999, I had a dozen CDs stuck
in one of those slip-in sleeves that goes over the car's sun visor, and
I had a box of about 20 cassettes on the seat next to me. I heard a few
things more than once, but then they were things I liked, or at least
that didn't bother me.

Yep me either. Sometimes I want to hear a new album a few times in fact.
But nice not to have to swap CD's or tapes while driving any more.

Trevor.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 5/10/2017 8:15 AM, Trevor wrote:
Yes that worked for me too when I was young and just starting a collection.

I'm still young at 74, and I'm still just starting a collection.

I don't use a phone since they rarely have
decent sound quality. I believe they are getting better, but I'm not
spending $1k on a phone! And yes I could get a blutooth adapter or
something if I needed to, but my car can already play digital files OK.

Agreed as far as the sound quality of a phone, but then when I'm
listening to music played from my phone, I'm paying attention to
something else and I'm not bothered by the distortion that the phone
contributes. It's pale in comparison to the MP3 compression, which,
since most of my phone listening is from recordings off the Internet,
are already moderately low bit rate (usually 128 kbps these days). For
me, pristine sound only matters in one place - when I'm working in the
studio.

I enjoy the convenience of Bluetooth when I'm driving a rental car, but
my own car's radio doesn't have Bluetooth, a USB file player, or even a
direct line input. My route is phone - cassette adapter - car's
cassette player. But it's entertaining.

I've found that many rental cars with a USB port won't see my phone as a
disk drive, so sometimes I'll make a copy on a USB memory stick of the
programs I've loaded on the phone and can play that in the rental car.
Maybe it's just my phone, or maybe it's the car. I dunno. But when I
decide to buy a new car (mine is a 2003) I'll definitely try it with
whatever phone I have at the time.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Nate Najar wrote:
I have everything cd related on a server and cd's in boxes in storage. Lps=
are of course on the shelf. I think I need to put the cd's back on the sh=
elf. A friend asked to borrow a certain disc and I went into the cd boxes =
to find it and I couldn't believe all the stuff I own that I forgot I had. =
It's all on the server but man is it easy to not realize what you have. T=
he actual cd cases with spines makes it so much easier to identify somethin=
g to listen to.

Put a slot in your schedule every couple days to just sit down and listen to
a record.

Every time I do this, I feel better.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Nate Najar Nate Najar is offline

Scott, I do that often. I just went on an eBay lp buying spree and have really enjoyed listening to records I never heard before. Lots of good stuff out there that will never see digital distribution!

AKG SA61 Swivel mcp6453[_2_] Pro Audio 0 January 4th 13 06:00 PM
Good coaxials with swivel tweeter? Vitamin R Car Audio 2 October 21st 07 08:04 PM
Speaker Stand Mount For Atlas Mic Stands Audy Pro Audio 11 February 29th 04 10:21 AM
Auction for Jensen 6"x9" COAXIAL speakers w/ 2way swivel tweeter Stephen Tech 0 October 6th 03 08:20 PM
Auction for Jensen 6"x9" COAXIAL speakers w/ 2way swivel tweeter Stephen Car Audio 0 October 6th 03 08:18 PM