Roger W. Norman

Default Quick question and it's ON TOPIC!

OK, so I'm installing an RME digi9652 Hammerfall and I noticed (gee, I'm
bright, it was sitting right in the package) that there's an additional 8
pin IC that has M52 on it. Now the chip on the board has a W52 on it. I
make the wild hair assumption that the W52 is an upgrade chip from the M52,
but it would be nice if anyone has information for me on this before I go
all wild and lock this computer down. I have an Adaptec SATA board to
install as well as a Canopus ADVC 1394 video capture card, so info on this
chip question would certainly be appreciated.

And yes, I looked at RME's site.

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio

EricK

Roger W. Norman wrote:

OK, so I'm installing an RME digi9652 Hammerfall and I noticed (gee, I'm
bright, it was sitting right in the package) that there's an additional 8
pin IC that has M52 on it. Now the chip on the board has a W52 on it. I
make the wild hair assumption that the W52 is an upgrade chip from the M52,
but it would be nice if anyone has information for me on this before I go
all wild and lock this computer down. I have an Adaptec SATA board to
install as well as a Canopus ADVC 1394 video capture card, so info on this
chip question would certainly be appreciated.

And yes, I looked at RME's site.

Roger,

The chip with the W52 is for a Windows machine. The chip the M52 is for
a Mac.

--
Eric

Practice Your Mixing Skills
Multi-Track Masters on CD-ROM
www.Raw-Tracks.com

Arny Krueger

"Roger W. Norman" wrote in message

OK, so I'm installing an RME digi9652 Hammerfall and I noticed (gee,
I'm bright, it was sitting right in the package) that there's an
additional 8 pin IC that has M52 on it. Now the chip on the board
has a W52 on it. I make the wild hair assumption that the W52 is an
upgrade chip from the M52, but it would be nice if anyone has
information for me on this before I go all wild and lock this
computer down. I have an Adaptec SATA board to install as well as a
Canopus ADVC 1394 video capture card, so info on this chip question
would certainly be appreciated.

And yes, I looked at RME's site.

Frankly Roger, I think that you are thinking way to hard. Just put the %$#!
card in the machine, load the drivers and see if it makes tunes.

For all you know the codes you question are date codes, with the cosmic
significance that not all parts of a kind are made on the same day or same
month or whatever. But you already knew that, right?

EricK

Arny Krueger wrote:
Frankly Roger, I think that you are thinking way to hard. Just put the %$#!
card in the machine, load the drivers and see if it makes tunes.

I have the Nuendo 96/52 card. But, I don't see why that will be any
different. From the owner's manual, verbatim:

"The Nuendo 96/52 audio card is originally equipped with an EEPROM for
use on Windows computers. If you plan to use this card on Apple
Macintosh computers, you will have to exchange the EEPROM first!. An
extra EEPROM labeled M52 is included in Nuendo 96/52 package. Please
replace the EEPROM before inserting the card into your Macintosh computer!"

--
Eric

Practice Your Mixing Skills
Multi-Track Masters on CD-ROM
www.Raw-Tracks.com

Arny Krueger

"EricK" wrote in message

Arny Krueger wrote:
Frankly Roger, I think that you are thinking way to hard. Just put
the %$#! card in the machine, load the drivers and see if it makes
tunes.

I have the Nuendo 96/52 card. But, I don't see why that will be any
different. From the owner's manual, verbatim:

"The Nuendo 96/52 audio card is originally equipped with an EEPROM for
use on Windows computers. If you plan to use this card on Apple
Macintosh computers, you will have to exchange the EEPROM first!. An
extra EEPROM labeled M52 is included in Nuendo 96/52 package. Please
replace the EEPROM before inserting the card into your Macintosh
computer!"

Wow!

Makes some sense. W52 for windows and M52 for Mac.

This of course raises the question as to why they couldn't make one card
that works for both, like some of their competition.

Roger W. Norman

As it turns out, it makes sense. W = Windows, M = Mac.

But hey, Arny, with three new boards to install you know better than to
assume. Now if I can just find the manual, maybe it would have answered my
question, but then again, finding anything right now is still almost a
futile effort. Damned remodelling. If your wife ever wants to remodel,
just remember these words. "Don't do it"

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
news
"Roger W. Norman" wrote in message

OK, so I'm installing an RME digi9652 Hammerfall and I noticed (gee,
I'm bright, it was sitting right in the package) that there's an
additional 8 pin IC that has M52 on it. Now the chip on the board
has a W52 on it. I make the wild hair assumption that the W52 is an
upgrade chip from the M52, but it would be nice if anyone has
information for me on this before I go all wild and lock this
computer down. I have an Adaptec SATA board to install as well as a
Canopus ADVC 1394 video capture card, so info on this chip question
would certainly be appreciated.

And yes, I looked at RME's site.

Frankly Roger, I think that you are thinking way to hard. Just put the

%$#!
card in the machine, load the drivers and see if it makes tunes.

For all you know the codes you question are date codes, with the cosmic
significance that not all parts of a kind are made on the same day or same
month or whatever. But you already knew that, right?

Roger W. Norman

Thank you, Eric. Makes sense. Too much sense, in fact. Threw me for a
loop looking for some convoluted meaning! g

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio

"EricK" wrote in message
Roger W. Norman wrote:

[...]

Arny Krueger

"Roger W. Norman" wrote in message

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message

The OP said nothing about 3 boards.

Yes it did. The Adaptec SATA RAID controller and the Canopus ADVC
1394 in addition to the RME. You just missed it.

Oh, I thought you meant 3 RME boards.

I admit it. I rarely if ever put in 3 boards at a time. I put in one board 3
times.

Brian Allen

BTW, also installed the Adaptec SATA board and it didn't help (I mentioned
bad performance issues before with the onboard SATA controller). The

drive
is a Seagate Barracuda 7200 and it's performance is dismal even when I
upgraded HD Tach to 3.0 (since I'm using XP Pro). I don't grade this
drive/interface any better than I would an ATA66 setup.

I am curious about this. Has anybody else had this experience with SATA
drives? I ask because I am about to purchase a couple new drives and was
going to go with SATA because my mboard has the interface but this is the
second time I have heard of performance issues. I currently have ATA100
drives and would hate to go backwards...

Thanks,
Brian

Arny Krueger

"Brian Allen" wrote in message
ink.net

BTW, also installed the Adaptec SATA board and it didn't help (I
mentioned bad performance issues before with the onboard SATA
controller). The drive is a Seagate Barracuda 7200 and it's
performance is dismal even when I upgraded HD Tach to 3.0 (since I'm
using XP Pro). I don't grade this drive/interface any better than I
would an ATA66 setup.

I am curious about this. Has anybody else had this experience with
SATA drives?

My experience with SATA is that it works pretty much the same as legacy ATA
for a comparable drive. I've built 3 machines this way.

But I'm not using Roger's Gigabyte 8NNXP A64 motherboard (Nvidia chipset),
I'm using the ECS A64 755 motherboard (SIS chipset). Very dissimilar boards.

The GB 8NNXP uses the Silicon Image outboard PCI to SATA bridge, while the
ECS 755 uses an integrated SATA controller that provides a more direct route
to the CPU and RAM.

Other than no difference in performance with SATA, I like the concept and
size of the new cables, but the implementation seems to not be appreciably
more durable.

Roger W. Norman

You can see what my experience tells me. With audio ATA100 drives work well
enough and you're less inhibited by bussing problems than with SATA (they
each require their own bus), but still, I haven't seen anything that
superscedes SCSI for an all out performance machine.

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio

[...]

Roger W. Norman

Still only two boards so far. I admit, I'm afraid! g But once this last
multitrack mix plays, I'm going to shut it down and add the Canopus card.
Undoubtedly all hell will break loose, but then I can always go back outside
and do some work! g

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
"Roger W. Norman" wrote in message

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message

The OP said nothing about 3 boards.

Yes it did. The Adaptec SATA RAID controller and the Canopus ADVC
1394 in addition to the RME. You just missed it.

Oh, I thought you meant 3 RME boards.

I admit it. I rarely if ever put in 3 boards at a time. I put in one board

3
times.

Kurt Albershardt

Arny Krueger wrote:

"EricK" wrote in message

Arny Krueger wrote:

Frankly Roger, I think that you are thinking way to hard. Just put
the %$#! card in the machine, load the drivers and see if it makes
tunes.

I have the Nuendo 96/52 card. But, I don't see why that will be any
different. From the owner's manual, verbatim:

"The Nuendo 96/52 audio card is originally equipped with an EEPROM for
use on Windows computers. If you plan to use this card on Apple
Macintosh computers, you will have to exchange the EEPROM first!. An
extra EEPROM labeled M52 is included in Nuendo 96/52 package. Please
replace the EEPROM before inserting the card into your Macintosh
computer!"

Wow!

Makes some sense. W52 for windows and M52 for Mac.

This of course raises the question as to why they couldn't make one card
that works for both, like some of their competition.

They do, and have for several years now. The 9632/9652 are an older generation of card.

RME was one of the first to put ASIO in hardware, reducing the load on the host computer significantly. In fact, when releasing flash updates to the firmware on their current products, they are referred to as 'hardware version.'

Kurt Albershardt

Roger W. Norman wrote:

You can see what my experience tells me. With audio ATA100 drives work well
enough and you're less inhibited by bussing problems than with SATA (they
each require their own bus), but still, I haven't seen anything that
superscedes SCSI for an all out performance machine.

SCSI drives are faster (and more expensive) than ATA drives, with the notable exception of the WD Raptor series (which are basically SCSI-class drives with SATA interfaces.

The caveat with SCSI for audio machines is that many of the host adapters are serious bus hogs and can overwhelm your PCI bandwidth to the point where audio performance takes a hit. Modern x86 chipsets have their PATA or SATA ports hangiung directly off the southbridge and therefore not sharing PCI bus bandwidth. Server chipsets typically have multiple PCI buses so the disk controller(s) can be separated from the other I/O but many server chipsets don't handle low latency audio as well as the desktop chipsets.

Roger W. Norman

Man, I've only begun to get the concrete backer board on the metal stud
frame, so I still have that to finish (tomorrow, probably) and then start
putting up the brick facing (after I finish up the siding my contractor
never finished). But the grill works and is in place, so even if the patio
is not totally finished and the cookstation is only half done, the function
of the space is there.

But Bev got a call yesterday and is now going out of town for the Labor Day
holiday (to Arizona, no less, so I think she'll be out of ear shot), so I
think we've got a winner as far as timeframe. Particular day needs working
on, but I'm leaning towards Saturday, the 4th because I can get the smoker
working early, clean the pool, and by then the patio should be totally in
place and I might even have the studio cleaned up and the new baby grand
unveiled.

Of course, somebody is going to have to help me clean up and I don't want
foreign things floating in the pool, nor the dogs to get out of the yard or
the cats to get out of the house, but other than that, we might actually get
the police over! g

So, does the 4th of September work for everybody? John, Dorsey and Delian,
Scott and Melissa, Don Cooper, Mike, Gantt, Analogeezer, Phil (Mothra666),
and whomever else on RAP that lives in the DC area (ksorry if I forgot
anyone)? Bring instruments or not (I have a few). Bring CDs or DVDs or not
(that's up to you). Bring your own poison because I'm not taking
responsibility for serving any beverages except sodas, iced tea and coffee.
Scott, bring me my darned tapes back!

The grill has some 730 Sq Inches of cooking space, so don't feel bashful
about bringing something to cook. Plus there is the range in the house with
a convection oven and a 4 burner gas cooktop. The smoker will already be
busy.

Did I cover everything?

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio

"JoVee" wrote in message
Roger W. Norman at wrote on 7/15/04 9:45 AM:

As it turns out, it makes sense. W = Windows, M = Mac.

But hey, Arny, with three new boards to install you know better than to
assume. Now if I can just find the manual, maybe it would have answered

my
question, but then again, finding anything right now is still almost a
futile effort. Damned remodelling. If your wife ever wants to remodel,
just remember these words. "Don't do it"

oh fiddlesticks!
I've seen the current state of your Project Hell and it's
frustratingly-close-to-finished GREAT!!!!
and yeah I know you really know and you;re too damned immersed in teh

Awful
Details and that's absolutely legit, but MAN you guys made a whole new

HOUSE
almost in there! Then there's the Killer Grille Patio Installation just
outside the door...
Bitch all you want: you;ve earned every syllable in teh sweat and mental
madness you;ve gone through, but the RESULTS speak loudly and clearly for
themselves...
it's close to over...
even the pool's working...
and when are we supposed to christen all this?

--
John I-22
(that's 'I' for Initial...)

"Roger W. Norman" wrote in message
That was supposed to say "an additional 4 burner gas cooktop", which

makes 8
burners in the house, and the grill has a 12,000 BTU sideburner.

Is that RMS?
--

Neil Henderson
Saqqara Records

Roger W. Norman

Well, if you want to see one of the funniest things I've ever seen,
regardless of RMS or not, then request through email and I'll send you a
picture of one BBQ eating young lady (it's my youngest grandchild).

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio

om...