Default SACD question

I recently purchased the SACD edition of "Every Breath You Take", a
collection of The Police's Greatest Hits. The album has a standard
Redbook CD layer so I can play it in my car and my PC, but the back of
the package also says that it contains both SACD Stereo and SACD
Surround Sound audio. I'm looking into buying an SACD capable DVD
player for my surround system, and I'm curious as to how the players
will let me switch between the Stereo and Surround portions of the
disc. Can anyone help me?
Jeremy Gillow

I have the Sony DVP-NS775V and it has two buttons on the remote control that
allow you to switch. One of them lets you pick CD or SACD layer, and the
other one lets you switch between 2 channel and 5.1 channel if you use the
SACD layer. You have to make a choice while the disc is in stop mode, so
you can't really do on-the-fly comparisons.

- Jeremy

wrote in message ...
I recently purchased the SACD edition of "Every Breath You Take", a
collection of The Police's Greatest Hits. The album has a standard
Redbook CD layer so I can play it in my car and my PC, but the back of
the package also says that it contains both SACD Stereo and SACD
Surround Sound audio. I'm looking into buying an SACD capable DVD
player for my surround system, and I'm curious as to how the players
will let me switch between the Stereo and Surround portions of the
disc. Can anyone help me?

Harry Lavo

wrote in message ...
I recently purchased the SACD edition of "Every Breath You Take", a
collection of The Police's Greatest Hits. The album has a standard
Redbook CD layer so I can play it in my car and my PC, but the back of
the package also says that it contains both SACD Stereo and SACD
Surround Sound audio. I'm looking into buying an SACD capable DVD
player for my surround system, and I'm curious as to how the players
will let me switch between the Stereo and Surround portions of the
disc. Can anyone help me?

That varies from manufacturer to manufacturer. If you are going SACD/DVD,
one of the advantages of staying with SONY is that they make this pretty
simple...you can choose the default of your choice from the setup menu
(stereo, multichannel) and the player automatically seeks out that segment
if it is a SACD that is inserted, or reverts to DVD or CD if those disks are
inserted. Some players apparently make you manual switch to stereo from
multichannel disk by disk...which would be a real drag.

Interestring stuff. I'm not usually big on Sony stuff (other than their
TVs) but I'll take a look at their ES line players. Anybody have any
experience with Denon's multi-system players?