Default how to connect a RCA 3.5 mm output to a DIGITAL in on my receiver

Hello all, I recently purchased a SONY viao rz54g PC. which has an RCA
digtal 3.5 mm out jack.

Now, I have checked, and I cant figure out which cable to get so that I
can connect it to my SHERWOOD 8090R receiver which has optical and
DIGITAL inputs.

thanks.
Len Moskowitz

Hello all, I recently purchased a SONY viao rz54g PC. which has an RCA
digtal 3.5 mm out jack.

You need to get your specs correct. If it's RCA then it's not 3.5 mm
(also known as 1/8-inch miniplug).

The S/PDIF digital audio data format has two common physical connectors:
RCA plug/jack for electrical (coaxial) output/input, and Toslink
plug/jack for optical output/input. Some companies use 3.5 mm
miniplugs/minijacks, and you have to determine (or you have to ask them)
whether these carry an electrical or optical signal; some carry both.

Tel: 201-801-0812, FAX: 201-801-0912
Harry Lavo

wrote in message
Hello all, I recently purchased a SONY viao rz54g PC. which has an RCA
digtal 3.5 mm out jack.

Now, I have checked, and I cant figure out which cable to get so that I
can connect it to my SHERWOOD 8090R receiver which has optical and
DIGITAL inputs.

You need a single 75ohm cable with RCA connectors. These may be sold as
special "digital" cables; they may be sold as a "video" (yellow band) cable.
Either generally will do. Monster makes a very acceptable one at a modest
price, as does Radio Shack.
Kevin Smith

You need to find out if it is optical or coaxial output.

I picked up a 3.5mm to regular Toslink Optical cable a couple of years ago
from my local hifi retailer without any problems. That is the digital output
from my Panasonic portable DVD player.

Regards

Kevin Smith