Frank Spencer

Default Linn LP 12 Sounds Wobbly

My turntable sounds like it's off speed slightly -- it sounds "wobbly."
What's the easiest way to test for this? Are there remedies I can try myself
without taking this into the shop?

FWS

Harry Lavo

"Frank Spencer" wrote in message
My turntable sounds like it's off speed slightly -- it sounds "wobbly."
What's the easiest way to test for this? Are there remedies I can try

myself
without taking this into the shop?

FWS

Almost certainly a worn belt problem on the Linn. Just order a new belt
from a Linn dealer or from the factory. Unless you are a total klutz, you
should be able to exchange belts yourself. If this doesn't solve it, then
it may be something more serious, like a bearing problem or a serious
chassis misalignment...in which case you'll want a dealer to deal with it.
But very high probability that it is simply the belt....common to many
belt-drive turntables.
HondaCB450SC

Hi - Is your Linn LP12 a "Valhalla" equipped unit?(power switch has red LED for
33.3 rpm). It might be possible that the Valhalla circuit board's 3 big
capacitors need to be replaced (they have a lifespan of roughly 10 yrs). Next
question: what is the serial number on your deck?(since other issues might
plague earlier decks that have been updated - I can explain further in a
separate post) ...In my own personal opinion, I like my standard "basik" motor
version plugged into a VPI SDS power supply(though the VPI unit is a more
expensive alternative, yet still less expensive than the Lingo). Hope this
helps...... Paul
campdog

i'm curious if your player has one of those optical graph's set into
the platter with the light to see if the speed is correct. i hope you
know what i'm talking about...the light shines on the grooves at the
right frequency and if the bars are steady the speed is correct. i
think they are pretty much fool-proof. i've noticed you can see
variations in the speed of the platter by watching that graph as it
turns. it should stay pretty much rock-steady. any noticable playback
variation due to speed fluctuations would show up quite obviously. if
it doesn't speed up and slow down you have a different problem.