Default The little magazines

Bert Whyte used to contemptuously refer to Stereophile and TAS as the
little magazines. However most cognoscenti wpuld agree that they are
now the "largest" mags left for the serious audiophile. How is it that
stereophile alone absorbs all the flak about what is wrong in audio
publishing. TAS doessn't show on the radar screen at all. Why is this?
Is TAS no longer relevant to the bulk of contempary audio discussion?
Or is it that they are spot on in all their reviews, comments, focus
etc.,

ANyone care to comment?

Bert Whyte used to contemptuously refer to Stereophile and TAS as the
little magazines. However most cognoscenti wpuld agree that they are
now the "largest" mags left for the serious audiophile. How is it

that
stereophile alone absorbs all the flak about what is wrong in audio
publishing. TAS doessn't show on the radar screen at all. Why is

this?
Is TAS no longer relevant to the bulk of contempary audio discussion?
Or is it that they are spot on in all their reviews, comments, focus
etc.,

ANyone care to comment?

In the immediate case, Stereophile put itself in harm's way by allowing
one of its writers to take a rather crude potshot at a critic who would
have been better ignored. (I'm not sure why that critic focuses on
Stereophile rather than TAS, but I suspect it has to do with market
share. You get more attention attacking the biggest, and attention
seems to be a primary motivation in this case.)

The editor of Stereophile has exacerbated this by participating in
online discussions, here and elsewhere. That's to his credit, I
suppose, but it has kept the debate alive.

Finally, it should be noted that Stereophile, while a proponent of
high-end voodoo, is edited by someone with an engineering background
(whereas TAS is edited by a man who only impersonates an engineer). And
while promoting all that voodoo, Stereophile also presents its readers
with actual measurements and technical data regarding the non-voodoo
slice of the high-end world. Its refusal to subject the voodoo to the
same technical standards is pure hypocrisy, and nothing generates heat
like hypocrisy.

bob
normanstrong

wrote in message
Bert Whyte used to contemptuously refer to Stereophile and TAS as

the
little magazines. However most cognoscenti wpuld agree that they are
now the "largest" mags left for the serious audiophile. How is it

that
stereophile alone absorbs all the flak about what is wrong in audio
publishing. TAS doessn't show on the radar screen at all. Why is

this?
Is TAS no longer relevant to the bulk of contempary audio

discussion?
Or is it that they are spot on in all their reviews, comments, focus
etc.,

ANyone care to comment?

In my case, Stereophile is cheaper and has more information in it. I
regard that as a good reason to buy the one and not the other. It
also happens to be that I have a higher regard for John Atkinson than
I do for the fella at Absolute Sound. Both magazines have their
collection of kooks*, but that seems to be all there is at TAS, where
none of the BS is leavened by actual measurements.

*I use the word "kooks" as a term of mild endearment.

Norm Strong

Tip

"normanstrong" wrote in
message ...
snip
In my case, Stereophile is cheaper and has more
information in it. I
regard that as a good reason to buy the one and not
the other. It
also happens to be that I have a higher regard for
John Atkinson than
I do for the fella at Absolute Sound. Both
magazines have their
collection of kooks*, but that seems to be all there
is at TAS, where
none of the BS is leavened by actual measurements.

*I use the word "kooks" as a term of mild endearment.

A little bio on two of the "non-kooks" who regularly
write for TAS:

_Robert E. Greene_: Professor of Mathematics at UCLA,
also teaches an honors course in acoustics and
psychoacoustics. Violin instructor (taught Russell
Crowe for the movie Master and Commander).

_Anthony H. Cordesman_: Professor of National Security
Studies at Georgetown University. Served as Assistant
for National Security to Senator John McCain, and in
senior positions in the Office of the Secretary of
Defense, the State Department, the Department of
Energy, and the Defense Advanced Research Projects
Agency. And is known to a wider audience as Tony
Cordesman, military analyst for ABC News (been seeing a
lot of him lately ;^).

Regards,
Tip

Steven Sullivan

michael wrote:
On 16 Dec 2004 02:43:22 GMT, wrote:

Bert Whyte used to contemptuously refer to Stereophile and TAS as the
little magazines. However most cognoscenti wpuld agree that they are
now the "largest" mags left for the serious audiophile. How is it that
stereophile alone absorbs all the flak about what is wrong in audio
publishing. TAS doessn't show on the radar screen at all. Why is this?
Is TAS no longer relevant to the bulk of contempary audio discussion?

I think when TAS first came out there was some reason to read it. Back
in those days there WERE some really bad components. Also, everything
was electro-mechanical and a potential source of "difference" in the
sound department.

But, as Hunter Thompson once remarked, "when things turn weird the weird
turn pro," and soon TAS turned really weird. I remember reading a
reviewer named Enid Lumley (sp?) once. She was doing all kinds of
bizarre things to her listening room in order to damp out mysterious
entities unknown to anyone. I thought it was Harry with a sense of
humor writing under a pseudonym and making fun of his own style in a
kind of parody. But I was told that this was meant to be "serious"
reviewing. From that point on I pretty much stopped reading the
magazine. Perhaps I was told wrong?

If Enid is the lady who advised the removal of any and all metal
objects from the listening room and their replacement, if necessary,
with wood, then I do recall that it was meant in
all seriousness.

TAS is still *seriously* off the reality-scale.
I had forgotten just how wacky its alternate world is
until I delved into their current issue.
The one bright light of sanity there was a roundtable discussion where
Dave Wilson of WATT speaker fame made mincemeat of the bizarre
beliefs of fellow participant Ivor whatsisname of Linn (who
came off as a pompous, ignorant ass, IMO), and
trashed Mark Levinson's patently ridiculous claim about
the physiological danger of PCM.

--
-S
Your a boring little troll. How does it feel? Go blow your bad breath elsewhere.
Stewart Pinkerton

On 17 Dec 2004 21:32:52 GMT, "Harry Lavo" wrote:

wrote in message
How is it that stereophile alone absorbs all the flak about
what is wrong in audio publishing?

At least as far as the Newsgroups are concerned, I believe it
is due at least in part to the fact that I take to the time to
respond to Stereophile's critics. :-)
John Atkinson
Editor, Stereophile

Not only that, John, but you also have a critic in Nousaine who periodically
fans the flames. Harry Pearson used to occasionally lurk here (may be still
does) but does not participate, and since most objectivists here dismiss the
magazine (their mistake, despite some egregious errors of judgment from time
to time) there is no controversy .... it is one hand clapping in the
wilderness.

My hat is off to you for taking the time to confront and stand your ground.
From one who does the same, I know you can learn from the exchanges and only
hope that those with differing positions can also learn from them (although
in my despairing moments I doubt it. It is difficult to do when you are
convinced you have a lock on "the truth".)

Trouble is that he doesn't seem to have a lock on *anything*, and will
not make *any* statement regarding the audibility of items promoted
vigorously in the Stereophile RCL, adide from a stream of eenials that
it's anything to do with him, he's only the editor(!). You call that
'standing your ground', I call it avoiding your responsibility.

Of course, JA does have a lock on the truth - obviously, he *knows*
that all that garbage in the RCL about cables and power amps is utter
nonsense, but no way will he say so in a public forum. Hence, he's
reduced to ducking the issue, and there's no way anyone is ever going
to get him to stand up and try to *prove* his magazine's case -
because he already knows that the result would be the public
humiliation of his 'Golden Ear' reviewers.

John A. Lichtenberger

Harry Lavo wrote:

wrote in message

How is it that stereophile alone absorbs all the flak about
what is wrong in audio publishing?

At least as far as the Newsgroups are concerned, I believe it
is due at least in part to the fact that I take to the time to
respond to Stereophile's critics. :-)
John Atkinson
Editor, Stereophile

Not only that, John, but you also have a critic in Nousaine who periodically
fans the flames. Harry Pearson used to occasionally lurk here (may be still
does) but does not participate, and since most objectivists here dismiss the
magazine (their mistake, despite some egregious errors of judgment from time
to time) there is no controversy .... it is one hand clapping in the
wilderness.

Ya know... asking someone to stand behind their claims in the media with
REAL Facts and data (after all, these magazines DO indeed present their
OPINIONS in the various venues as FACTUAL, rather than OPINION,
notwithstanding the waterfall plots and other pseudo-testing presented
ad nauseum to somehow validate their "expertise") is not really asking
too much... if Stereophile and TAS (among others) want to be reduced to
the level of Nicolodeon magazine and PC Gamer, that's great.. that's
about the level of entertainment I get from them when I buy them once a
year on vacation for toilet reading.

My hat is off to you for taking the time to confront and stand your ground.
From one who does the same, I know you can learn from the exchanges and only
hope that those with differing positions can also learn from them (although
in my despairing moments I doubt it. It is difficult to do when you are
convinced you have a lock on "the truth".)

I don't think the "objectivists", which you and others so pejoratively
disdain, proclaim any such "truth"; au contraire, they merely insist on
independent, unbiased validation of wild claims of the supernatural,
paranormal "golden ear" cause/effect phenomena bantied about as the holy
grail (and justification for ridiculous pricing structures) so
prevalent in the "high end" of audio. It's curious that, more often than
not, ad hominen attacks originate from the "believers" aginst the
"objectivists. Of course, should "Stereophile Editor" proclaim such a
position, his advertising revenue would dry up. Simple economics is the
answer.

John L.
Auplater

B&D

On 12/19/04 10:56 AM, in article , "John A.
Lichtenberger" wrote:

Harry Lavo wrote:

wrote in message

[...]

In the same way I might say: "I ate at Carl's Jr. and the hamburgers tasted
bad." I am stating it as a fact - even though you might like them just
fine. I have neither betrayed journalistic trust, nor have I been deceptive
in the least.

So what, if you haven't figured out it is an opinion, then I have an
excellent beachfront property opportunity in Arizona for you to consider.

notwithstanding the waterfall plots and other pseudo-testing presented
ad nauseum to somehow validate their "expertise") is not really asking
too much... if Stereophile and TAS (among others) want to be reduced to
the level of Nicolodeon magazine and PC Gamer, that's great.. that's
about the level of entertainment I get from them when I buy them once a
year on vacation for toilet reading.

TAS does not perform measurements on the equipment they review - part of
their charter is to be nearly 100% subjective in the reviews.

Stereophile performs some measurements on the equipment in addition to a
subjective review.

Again - so what? If you feel that their methodology is in error to the
point of leading someone astray if they are trying to figure out if a piece
of gear - you should feel free to get a piece of that gear into a testing
laboratory and perform tests to your hearts content and write your own
reviews in a magazine.

My hat is off to you for taking the time to confront and stand your ground.
From one who does the same, I know you can learn from the exchanges and only
hope that those with differing positions can also learn from them (although
in my despairing moments I doubt it. It is difficult to do when you are
convinced you have a lock on "the truth".)

I don't think the "objectivists", which you and others so pejoratively
disdain, proclaim any such "truth"; au contraire, they merely insist on
independent, unbiased validation of wild claims of the supernatural,
paranormal "golden ear" cause/effect phenomena bantied about as the holy
grail (and justification for ridiculous pricing structures) so
prevalent in the "high end" of audio. It's curious that, more often than
not, ad hominen attacks originate from the "believers" aginst the
"objectivists. Of course, should "Stereophile Editor" proclaim such a
position, his advertising revenue would dry up. Simple economics is the
answer.

Ah, but there is so much more than that here - it isn't a mere and humble
quest for truth. They aren't nearly as objective on this NG as their
philosophy states.

While they claim that so-called "subjectivists" are biased to "hear"
differences where there are none, there is no admission that there seems to
be a bias to NOT hear a difference where one might exist. The ABX and DBT
might be able to proof against the former bias, but won't help one bit with
the latter.

There ain't a fountain of truth at the disposal of either warring camps,
folks.

B&D wrote:

While they claim that so-called "subjectivists" are biased to "hear"
differences where there are none, there is no admission that there

seems to
be a bias to NOT hear a difference where one might exist.

Poppycock. There is published experimental data that shows that all
people (not just "subjectivists") are biased toward hearing
differences. See any psychoacoustics textbook. Where is your evidence
that a bias in the opposite direction exists? (And do you understand
yet what "bias" in this context means? See my previous response to
you.)

The ABX and DBT
might be able to proof against the former bias, but won't help one

bit with
the latter.

There ain't a fountain of truth at the disposal of either warring

camps,
folks.

Spoken like a pot to a kettle. See above.

bob
Chung

Lichtenberger" wrote:

Harry Lavo wrote:

wrote in message

[...]

Would any restaurant review magazine publish that opinion of yours?
Would any editior of such magazines stand by your claim?

You truly don't see the difference? Amazing.

So what, if you haven't figured out it is an opinion, then I have an
excellent beachfront property opportunity in Arizona for you to consider.

More amazement, if you can't see the difference. Also, you just insulted
Stereophile by implying that their reviewers are con artists.

(snip)

answer.

Ah, but there is so much more than that here - it isn't a mere and humble
quest for truth. They aren't nearly as objective on this NG as their
philosophy states.

While they claim that so-called "subjectivists" are biased to "hear"
differences where there are none, there is no admission that there seems to
be a bias to NOT hear a difference where one might exist. The ABX and DBT
might be able to proof against the former bias, but won't help one bit with
the latter.

You still seem to be missing the point. That's why the so-called
"objectivists" always ask the subjectivists and the believers to take
the DBT's, since there would be no bias to NOT hear the difference! Hey,
some of us even put up our own money to motivate them.

"While they claim that so-called "subjectivists" are biased to "hear"
differences where there are none, there is no admission that there seems
be a bias to NOT hear a difference where one might exist. The ABX and DBT
might be able to proof against the former bias, but won't help one bit
with
the latter.

There ain't a fountain of truth at the disposal of either warring camps,
folks."

Testing shows that people are biased to percieve difference when given the
same stimulus, such as a sound event. Bias here only means potential and
not an unfounded opinion as in common language. "Truth" in the example of
using listening testing alone to detect differences is relative to the
established benchmark. In science we never get absolute "truth" such as
in philosophy, we hold some conclusion as valid until demonstrated false.
In that case the "truth" statement is irrelevant unless meaning that both
the conclusions of the subjective enterprise and the benchmark based
enterprise both are confronted by loads of evidence showing both to be
false. Only the benchmark view has evidence that is repeatable under
controled settings in which such evidence can be produced. Considering
that the subjective entrprise refuses to participate in evidence gathering
their conclusions are neither repeatable nor can we establish evidence by
which to refute them; which is of course the point.
S888Wheel

From: Chung
Date: 12/19/2004 4:31 PM Pacific Standard Time
B&D wrote:
On 12/19/04 10:56 AM, in article
, "John A.
Lichtenberger" wrote:

Harry Lavo wrote:

wrote in message

[...]

If the writing were more entertaining and he were an established food critic I
would think so.

Would any editior of such magazines stand by your claim?

Not themselves unless they ate said hamburgers and agreed. They would stand
behind him that his opinion is as stated though.

[...]

Yeah, I'm still waiting for Tom's proposal on test protocols for a 1,001 bet he
made with me over the audibility of vibration control devices. I think he'll
never follow through. He think he is trying to quietly back out of that bet.
Chung

B&D wrote:

On 12/19/04 7:31 PM, in article , "Chung"
wrote:

Ya know... asking someone to stand behind their claims in the media with
REAL Facts and data (after all, these magazines DO indeed present their
OPINIONS in the various venues as FACTUAL, rather than OPINION,

In the same way I might say: "I ate at Carl's Jr. and the hamburgers tasted
bad." I am stating it as a fact - even though you might like them just
fine. I have neither betrayed journalistic trust, nor have I been deceptive
in the least.

Would any restaurant review magazine publish that opinion of yours?
Would any editior of such magazines stand by your claim?

You truly don't see the difference? Amazing.

If I had gone to review the restaurant and had more to write 10 words,
absolutely.

There is no basic difference. Perhaps you can enlighten me?

Stereophile is a leading magazine on hi-fi. People pay money to read it.
There is some level of responsibility on Stereophile's part to insure
that its reviews are done fairly and correctly, and that those reviews
can stand up to some degree of scrutiny. Some readers actually make
their buying decisions based on those reviews and therefore implicitly
place trust in that magazine. You, with all due respect, on the other
hand, have no credibility on the subject of restaurant testing. Your
opinion does not carry any weight. It's worth absolutely nothing.

I notice once more that you are belittling Stereophile by making an
analogy between your Carl Jr. hamburger review and the professional
Stereophile reviews. For someone who appears to be a supporter of
Stereophile, you sure give them very little respect.
normanstrong

While they claim that so-called "subjectivists" are biased to

"hear"
differences where there are none, there is no admission that there

seems to
be a bias to NOT hear a difference where one might exist.

As I pointed out once before, this is a risky tack. You would
certainly feel embarrassed if you were the only one that couldn't hear
a difference that every other subject heard.

Norm Strong

S888Wheel

From: Chung
Date: 12/20/2004 4:45 PM Pacific Standard Time
B&D wrote:

On 12/19/04 7:31 PM, in article
, "Chung"
wrote:

[...]

So? Is anyone forcing anyone to buy Stereophile?

There is some level of responsibility on Stereophile's part to insure
that its reviews are done fairly and correctly, and that those reviews
can stand up to some degree of scrutiny.

Well they are responsible to conduct reviews as they say they claim to conduct
reviews. I see no reason to believe they don't. They are not obligated to
conduct reviews the way *you* believe they ought to.

Some readers actually make
their buying decisions based on those reviews and therefore implicitly
place trust in that magazine.

That is there choice, an odd one at that given the fact that Stereophile
recomends potential buyers audition any equipment themselves before buying. If
readers buy equipment based on Stereophile reviews without an audition they
aren't even following Stereophile's directions. They need to read more
carefully or face the possible consequences.

You, with all due respect, on the other
hand, have no credibility on the subject of restaurant testing.

That's a rather bold, insulting and presumptuous claim. For all you know he may
quite the expert on food.

Your
opinion does not carry any weight.

Balony, it at least carries the wieght of any layman who has actually tried a
Carl's Jr. Hamburger.

It's worth absolutely nothing.

A rather odd claim. Sorry you have zero faith in your fellow burger eater.

I notice once more that you are belittling Stereophile by making an
analogy between your Carl Jr. hamburger review and the professional
Stereophile reviews.

How is that belittling? The analogy makes perfect sense to me. Someone tries
something and gives their opinion on the quality. I don't think there were any
deeper implications in that analogy.

For someone who appears to be a supporter of
Stereophile, you sure give them very little respect.

Are you sure you aren't reading into things here? Are you sure the disrespect
for Stereophile isn't from you?

chung

From: Chung
Date: 12/20/2004 4:45 PM Pacific Standard Time
B&D wrote:

On 12/19/04 7:31 PM, in article
, "Chung"
wrote:

[...]

You're missing the point. People pay to read Stereophile. Stereophile's
recommendations should be worth more than a hamburger review from a
random person off the street, so to speak. Wonder why this is a
difficult point for you to grasp...

There is some level of responsibility on Stereophile's part to insure
that its reviews are done fairly and correctly, and that those reviews
can stand up to some degree of scrutiny.

Well they are responsible to conduct reviews as they say they claim to conduct
reviews. I see no reason to believe they don't. They are not obligated to
conduct reviews the way *you* believe they ought to.

You see the difference here, right? B&D's review of Carl's Junior
hamburgers has no implicit claim at all as to how that review is
conducted. In fact, B&D carries no responsibility for his hamburger
review at all. Surely you can see the difference between his hamburger
review and the leading h-fi magazine's reviews, right?

Some readers actually make
their buying decisions based on those reviews and therefore implicitly
place trust in that magazine.

That is there choice, an odd one at that given the fact that Stereophile
recomends potential buyers audition any equipment themselves before buying. If
readers buy equipment based on Stereophile reviews without an audition they
aren't even following Stereophile's directions. They need to read more
carefully or face the possible consequences.

Sure, that's also what I recommend. In fact, I suggest not paying any
attention to Stereophile's subjective reviews at all. But some of their
readers are affected by those reviews as far as their buying decisions
are concerned. Of course, Stereophile does not have any legal
responsibility, but there is an implicit trust by some of their readers
on Stereophile's recommendations. For example, being on the RCl is
supposedly an indication of superb quality, and some Stereophile readers
use that list as a buying guide.

You, with all due respect, on the other
hand, have no credibility on the subject of restaurant testing.

That's a rather bold, insulting and presumptuous claim. For all you know he may
quite the expert on food.

Can you explain why B&D has any credibility on restauant reviews, given
his lack of presented credentials to date on this forum? Where is the
insult in what I said?

FWIW, I am sure that I have no credibility on hamburger reviews as far
as BD's concerned. And that's the way it should be.

Your
opinion does not carry any weight.

Balony, it at least carries the wieght of any layman who has actually tried a
Carl's Jr. Hamburger.

OK, his opinion carries as much weight as any layman's . But I am
not taking his review seriously at all , and I don't think too many
people would either. You think a Stereophile's review carries the same
weight as any layman's?

It's worth absolutely nothing.

A rather odd claim. Sorry you have zero faith in your fellow burger eater.

I am happy that you have faith in BD's hamburger review . Exactly
how much faith do you have? Based on what?

I notice once more that you are belittling Stereophile by making an
analogy between your Carl Jr. hamburger review and the professional
Stereophile reviews.

How is that belittling? The analogy makes perfect sense to me. Someone tries
something and gives their opinion on the quality. I don't think there were any
deeper implications in that analogy.

I'll spell it out for you. He was saying that Stereophile's review has
the same credibility as his hamburger reviews. Would anyone pay for his
hamburger reviews?

For someone who appears to be a supporter of
Stereophile, you sure give them very little respect.

Are you sure you aren't reading into things here? Are you sure the disrespect
for Stereophile isn't from you?

Oh yes, I am sure.
S888Wheel

From: chung
Date: 12/22/2004 6:58 PM Pacific Standard Time
From: Chung

Date: 12/20/2004 4:45 PM Pacific Standard Time
B&D wrote:

On 12/19/04 7:31 PM, in article
, "Chung"
wrote:

[...]

You're missing the point.

No, I am just disagreeing with it.

People pay to read Stereophile.

People *choose* to pay to read Stereophile.

Stereophile's
recommendations should be worth more than a hamburger review from a
random person off the street, so to speak.

You are not the arbitrator of the value of a Stereophile review or a hamburger
review for that matter. You decide for yourself what the valuse is for each and
so does *everybody else.* Both may be of greater value to someone else than you
find them to be for yourself.

Wonder why this is a
difficult point for you to grasp...

Perhaps you are not used to having others disagree with you.

There is some level of responsibility on Stereophile's part to insure
that its reviews are done fairly and correctly, and that those reviews
can stand up to some degree of scrutiny.

Well they are responsible to conduct reviews as they say they claim to

conduct
reviews. I see no reason to believe they don't. They are not obligated to
conduct reviews the way *you* believe they ought to.

You see the difference here, right? B&D's review of Carl's Junior
hamburgers has no implicit claim at all as to how that review is
conducted.

Sure it does. It is implied that he ate at least one and formed a subjective
opinion about it's taste.

In fact, B&D carries no responsibility for his hamburger
review at all.

No, not if he were to publish it he would carry the responsibility for trying
the burger and honestlt reporting his opinion of it's quality. I suppose off
the cuff personal recomendations are a little bit more lax but no one will give
him the time of day the next time around if they disagreed with him.

Surely you can see the difference between his hamburger
review and the leading h-fi magazine's reviews, right?

Other than the difference in use, no. I see an obvious difference in reporting
the measurements but frankly one can report the ingredients in a food review if
they chose to.

Some readers actually make
their buying decisions based on those reviews and therefore implicitly
place trust in that magazine.

That is there choice, an odd one at that given the fact that Stereophile
recomends potential buyers audition any equipment themselves before buying.

If
readers buy equipment based on Stereophile reviews without an audition they
aren't even following Stereophile's directions. They need to read more
carefully or face the possible consequences.

Sure, that's also what I recommend. In fact, I suggest not paying any
attention to Stereophile's subjective reviews at all.

That's fine. I don't see why one should pay no attention to them though. I
think they can offer some idea for a reader as to whether or not the product
might be worthy of an audition.

But some of their
readers are affected by those reviews as far as their buying decisions
are concerned.

They may be. Ultimately the buyer has to live with the purchase and decide for
themselves if it was a good one.

Of course, Stereophile does not have any legal
responsibility, but there is an implicit trust by some of their readers
on Stereophile's recommendations.

IMO the only implicit trust is that the reviewers are giving honest opinions.

For example, being on the RCl is
supposedly an indication of superb quality, and some Stereophile readers
use that list as a buying guide.

If they are using it as anything other than a list of possible options for the
purpose of auditioning they are not using the list as Stereophile recomends it
be used. You cannot hold Stereophile responsible in any way for the readers
failure to use such a guide as it is recomended to be used by the magazine.

You, with all due respect, on the other
hand, have no credibility on the subject of restaurant testing.

That's a rather bold, insulting and presumptuous claim. For all you know he

may
quite the expert on food.

Can you explain why B&D has any credibility on restauant reviews, given
his lack of presented credentials to date on this forum?

You are asking me to speculate. You claimed he had none. maybe you can explain
how you know he has none and his recomendations are "worthless?"

Where is the
insult in what I said?

I meant that jokingly.

FWIW, I am sure that I have no credibility on hamburger reviews as far
as BD's concerned. And that's the way it should be.

He might be keenly interested in your opinion on burgers.

Your
opinion does not carry any weight.

Balony, it at least carries the wieght of any layman who has actually tried

Carl's Jr. Hamburger.

OK, his opinion carries as much weight as any layman's . But I am
not taking his review seriously at all ,

Fair enough. At least you know why.

and I don't think too many
people would either. You think a Stereophile's review carries the same
weight as any layman's?

I would say they carry the weight of any audiophile who has tried the equipment
in question.

It's worth absolutely nothing.

A rather odd claim. Sorry you have zero faith in your fellow burger eater.

I am happy that you have faith in BD's hamburger review .

I suspect i have an appropriate amount of faith in it. Which is more than zero.
Of course he could be fibbing. He may not have ever even had one.

Exactly
how much faith do you have?

How would one quantify such a thing? Some not a lot?

Based on what?

On the trust that he tried the burger and is not terribly unusual in his
preferences for burgers.

I notice once more that you are belittling Stereophile by making an
analogy between your Carl Jr. hamburger review and the professional
Stereophile reviews.

How is that belittling? The analogy makes perfect sense to me. Someone

tries
something and gives their opinion on the quality. I don't think there were

any
deeper implications in that analogy.

I'll spell it out for you. He was saying that Stereophile's review has
the same credibility as his hamburger reviews.

he may believe that. Opinions is opinions when it comes to what we like and
don't like.

Would anyone pay for his
hamburger reviews?

I don't know.

For someone who appears to be a supporter of
Stereophile, you sure give them very little respect.

Are you sure you aren't reading into things here? Are you sure the

disrespect
for Stereophile isn't from you?

Oh yes, I am sure.

S888Wheel

From: chung
Date: 12/23/2004 2:10 PM Pacific Standard Time
B&D wrote:
On 12/22/04 9:58 PM, in article
, "chung"
wrote:

There is some level of responsibility on Stereophile's part to insure
that its reviews are done fairly and correctly, and that those reviews
can stand up to some degree of scrutiny.

Well they are responsible to conduct reviews as they say they claim to
conduct
reviews. I see no reason to believe they don't. They are not obligated to
conduct reviews the way *you* believe they ought to.

You see the difference here, right? B&D's review of Carl's Junior
hamburgers has no implicit claim at all as to how that review is
conducted. In fact, B&D carries no responsibility for his hamburger
review at all. Surely you can see the difference between his hamburger
review and the leading h-fi magazine's reviews, right?

Once you sign your name to it - you are responsible for the review accuracy
content and methods. I think you are grasping at straws here - there is
essentially little difference between the reviews.

Let me summarize what you are saying he B&D's one-sentence review of
the Carl's Jr. hamburger ("it tastes bad") is no different than the
leading hi-fi magazine's review of a piece of audio gear.

That isn't a sumary it is simply a mischaracterization. He didn't say "no
difference" he said "essentially little difference" he then went on to note
what the differences were. basically size and extensiveness of the two reviews.

Wonder why I said that the you have little respect for Stereophile?

Not any more. You don't seem to get his point.

If it would help your imagination: you can imagine that single sentence was
a summary of a 15 page article showing pictures of the interior of the
restaurant, tasting notes, weighing the burger with a follow up paragraph

of
the restaurant management's reaction to my review. I also put in a

sentence
on how you need to match the hamburger to your palate.

But you did not provide a 15 page review in a leading restaurant review
magazine with a paid subscription, did you? See the huge difference?

No, I see the size difference. Essentially they are the same beast. Ocean
liners and small sail boats are both boats. They are quite different in size
but they essentially do the same thing, allow people to travel on the water.

chung

From: chung
Date: 12/23/2004 2:10 PM Pacific Standard Time
B&D wrote:
On 12/22/04 9:58 PM, in article
, "chung"
wrote:

[...]

Fair enough. He is saying that there is essentially little difference
between his one sentence review of the Carl's JR. hamburgers ("it tastes
bad) the leading hi-fi magazine's review of audio gear.

Wonder why I said that he has little respect for Stereophile?

[...]

So according to your logic, a $5 transistor radio and your tubed vinyl
rig are essentially the same beast: they essentially do the same thing,
make sound.

Your comparison has effectively made my point, thanks for the clarification.
John A. Lichtenberger

Lichtenberger" wrote:

Harry Lavo wrote:

wrote in message

[...]

There's no "betrayal of journalistic trust" implied here. A simple
request of, to be taken seriously by those of us with a a modicum of
scientific curiosity and integrity, (and the credentials to back it up)
supplying supporting documentation and independent verification to
validate opinions presented as fact. You don't have to like it, but
that's how convincing arguments are made for new discoveries, phony
claims are debunked, etc. It's called "peer review". Unfortunately,
Stereopile does not seem interested in entertaining valid criticism of
its stylistic methods, choosing instead to pander to its advertisers
with implied psuedoscience morphed to resemble peer review.

So what, if you haven't figured out it is an opinion, then I have an
excellent beachfront property opportunity in Arizona for you to consider.

Trust me, I've figured it out. However, apparently to your dismay, I've
also figured out I have a right to post a rebuttal pointing out the
glaring deficiencies in a self-proclaimed "expert periodical" that may
influence others regarding their trust and comprehension of all things
"high end" presented as science, when in fact they are advertising copy
and fluff.

notwithstanding the waterfall plots and other pseudo-testing presented
ad nauseum to somehow validate their "expertise") is not really asking
too much... if Stereophile and TAS (among others) want to be reduced to
the level of Nicolodeon magazine and PC Gamer, that's great.. that's
about the level of entertainment I get from them when I buy them once a
year on vacation for toilet reading.

TAS does not perform measurements on the equipment they review - part of
their charter is to be nearly 100% subjective in the reviews.

never said they did

Stereophile performs some measurements on the equipment in addition to a

subjective review.

Again - so what? If you feel that their methodology is in error to the
point of leading someone astray if they are trying to figure out if a piece
of gear - you should feel free to get a piece of that gear into a testing
laboratory and perform tests to your hearts content and write your own
reviews in a magazine.

so I shouldn't post to a newsgroup pointing out that what they present
may be flawed and misleading so that others can make judgements of their
own and reach their own conclusions using additional information? Come
on, do you really believe in intercrystalline crossover distortion in
wires due to quark-quark confabulation being resolved by special winding
techniques and magic coating and fabrication techniques, without some
form of external demonstrable validation by those who've studied
materials science for many many decades?
Perhaps that beachfront property in AZ is looking better and better, eh?

My hat is off to you for taking the time to confront and stand your ground.
From one who does the same, I know you can learn from the exchanges and only
[...]

Who is "they" anyway? I 'd like to see a more honest approach (and gain
further understanding) of music reproduction from the few audio
magazines left in the world; instead we get tripe and psuedoscience
paraded in "reviews" as factual information. I have no problem with the
ad copy in these rags. Just leave it in the ads!

While they claim that so-called "subjectivists" are biased to "hear"
differences where there are none, there is no admission that there seems to
be a bias to NOT hear a difference where one might exist. The ABX and DBT
might be able to proof against the former bias, but won't help one bit with
the latter.

There ain't a fountain of truth at the disposal of either warring camps,
folks.

No one said there was; to the contrary, seeking the "truth" as you
phrase it, is what the scientific method and honest peer review is all
about. I'm not sure what this "warring camps" phrase is all about. I
view these posts as informational exchange of ideas. I may (or may not)
not agree with others perspective and will post my own thoughts as I see
fit. Attempts to characterize such discussions as "warrring camps" and
such seems only to be an agenda of ad hoc ad hominen diminution, akin to
attorney-speak efforts to discredit some perceived damaging testimony.

John L
Auplater
John A. Lichtenberger

from scratch - or go shamefully to the frozen food section
of your favorite grocery and select 2 high quality pie crusts (you
will need one for the top also).
Boil the prepared delicacy until the meat starts to come off the bones.
Remove, de-bone and cube; continue to reduce the broth.
Brown the onions, peppers and celery.
Add the meat then season, continue browning.
De-glaze with sherry, add the reduced broth.
Finally, put in the root vegetables and simmer for 15 minutes.
Allow to cool slightly.
Place the pie pan in 375 degree oven for a few minutes so bottom crust is not soggy,
reduce oven to 325.
Fill the pie with stew, place top crust and with a fork, seal the crusts together
then poke holes in top.
Return to oven and bake for 30 minutes, or until pie crust is golden brown.

Sudden Infant Death Soup

SIDS: delicious in winter, comparable to old fashioned Beef and Vegetable Soup.
Its free, you can sell the crib, baby clothes, toys, stroller... and so easy to
procure if such a lucky find is at hand (just pick him up from the crib and
he?s good to go)!

SIDS victim, cleaned
˝ cup cooking oil
Carrots
onions
broccoli
whole cabbage
fresh green beans
potato
turnip
celery
tomato
˝ stick butter
1 cup cooked pasta (macaroni, shells, etc.)

Remove as much meat as possible, cube

S888Wheel

innocent victim of a drive-by shooting...

2 cups finely chopped very young human flesh
1 cup shredded cabbage
1 cup bean sprouts
5 sprigs green onion, finely chopped
5 cloves minced garlic
4-6 ounces bamboo shoots
Sherry
chicken broth
oil for deep frying (1 gallon)
Salt
pepper
soy & teriyaki
minced ginger, etc.
1 tablespoon cornstarch dissolved in a little cold water
1 egg beaten

Make the stuffing:
Marinate the flesh in a mixture of soy and teriyaki sauces
then stir fry in hot oil for till brown - about 1 minute, remove.
Stir-fry the vegetables.
Put the meat back into the wok and adjust the seasoning.
De-glaze with sherry, cooking off the alcohol.
Add broth (optional) cook a few more minutes.
Add the cornstarch, cook a few minutes till thick,
then place the stuffing into a colander and cool;
2 hours
Wrap the rolls:
Place 3 tablespoons of stuffing in the wrap, roll tightly -
corner nearest you first, fold 2 side corners in,
wrap till remaining corner is left.
Brush with egg, seal, and allow to sit on the seal for
a few minutes.
Fry the rolls:
325° if using egg roll wraps, 350° for spring roll wraps.
Deep fry in peanut oil till crispy golden brown, drain on paper towels.

Lemon Neonate

Turkey serves just as well, and in fact even looks a bit like a
well-dressed baby. By the time you turn the child?s breast into
cutlets, it will be indistinguishable. The taste of young human,
although similar to turkey (and chicken) often can be wildly
different depending upon what he or she has consumed during its
10 to 14 months of life...

4 well chosen cutlets (from the breasts of 2 healthy neonates)
2 large lemons (fresh lemons always, if possible)
Olive oil
Green onions
Salt
pepper
cornstarch
neonate stock (chicken, or turkey stock is fine)
garlic
parsley
fresh cracked black pepper

Season and sauté the cutlets in o

chung

and parsley.
Place roast on top with fat side up.
Place uncovered in 500° oven for 20 minutes, reduce oven to 325°.
Bake till medium rare (150°) and let roast rest.
Pour stock over onions and drippings, carve the meat and
place the slices in the au jus.

Bisque ŕ l?Enfant

Honor the memory of Grandma with this dish by utilizing her good
silver soup tureen and her great grandchildren (crawfish, crab or
lobster will work just as well, however this dish is classically
made with crawfish).

Stuffed infant heads, stuffed crawfish heads, stuffed crab or lobster shells;
make patties if shell or head is not available
(such as with packaged crawfish, crab, or headless baby).
Flour
oil
onions
bell peppers
garlic salt, pepper, etc.
3 cups chicken stock
2 sticks butter
3 tablespoons oil

First stuff the heads, or make the patties (see index)
then fry or bake.
Set aside to drain on paper towels.
Make a roux with butter, oil and flour,
brown vegetables in the roux, then add chicken stock and
allow to simmer for 20 minutes.
Add the patties or stuffed heads, and some loose crawfish,
lobster, long piglet, or what have you.
Cook on low for 15 minutes, then allow it to set for at least
15 minutes more.
Serve over steamed rice; this dish is very impressive!

Stuffed Cabbage Rolls

Babies really can be found under a cabbage leaf -
or one can arrange for ground beef to be found there instead.

8 large cabbage leaves
1 lb. lean ground newborn human filets, or ground chuck
Onions
peppers
celery
garlic
soy sauce
salt pepper, etc
Olive oil
breadcrumbs
Tomato Gravy (see index)

Boil the cabbage leaves for 2 m

B&D

On 12/24/04 11:15 AM, in article , "John A.
Lichtenberger" wrote:

[...]

I may not have any interest in having any of my methods reviewed, nor may I
have any interest in opening a dialogue with people who have (what appears
to me to be) irreconcilable philosophical differences (i.e. An axe to grind)
with my reviews and so on. And boy or boy do a lot of people here and
peppered throughout this hobby have axes to grind.

You will find most magazines and newspapers will take a few claims
seriously, but if it is a continuous chorus from a small but vocal minority
who do not appear to be and will never be patrons, they will be happily
ignored.
John A. Lichtenberger

Lichtenberger" wrote:

[...]

Huh??? What are you talking about? I've merely stated (as a sometime
"patron" of Stereophile, that I take issue with their presentation of
opinion as fact.
That's it. They are being dishonest when they present psuedo-expert
graphs, studies, tests, etc. as some sort of validation linked to wild
claims of super-normal
phenomena beyond all reason, and then ask the reader to take such pablum
as truth without dissent.

You've appear to have engaged in a false diatribe with a strawman of
your own invention. No axe to grind here.

John L.
Auplater
Ralph Heidecke

"Stewart Pinkerton" wrote in message
On 16 Dec 2004 02:43:22 GMT, wrote:

Bert Whyte used to contemptuously refer to Stereophile and TAS as the
little magazines. ...

It's because TAS always was a joke. ..

I subscribed to the Absolute Sound for a number of years. I still buy a copy
or 2 off the newsstands and also read back copies at my local library. I
also
had subscriptions to Stereo Review, Stereophile, Audio and the Canadian mag
"UHF". None of these came close to the Absolute sound in two areas- the
first was engaging journalism. It was witty, challenging and well written.
To say TAS presented opinions (as some below have ) as fact is pure crap.
The magazine was always up front about what they were trying to do - develop
a language to describe the sound of hi-fi equipment and to use that
language. Secondly there were many many cases where 2 different reviewers
offered different opinions on the same piece of equipment. If that didn't
make it clear they were presenting opinions and not facts what does?

The second great thing about TAS was the music reviews. I never bought a
single piece of equipment based on a TAS review but I certainly bought a lot
of vinyl and CDs. Most are treasured parts of my collection. Bless Harry
Pearson and his super disc list. BTW Harry also made the point - these discs
represent my biases as well as anything else. Now I'm moving into SACDs and
I'll be looking to their opinion on making selection.

I also don't think putting words into the mouth of a dead man (Bert Whyte)
makes anyone's point. I remember those columns and I didn't think Whyte was
being as derogatory as some of "engineers" and objectivists are to TAS and
Stereophile et al. I think enjoyed reading what the wacky fringe had to
say. If nothing else if you enjoy it - its worth the price of admission.