Default Randi closes 2004 on audio note

Changing the knob on a device is said to provide better sound. The
scientific explanation is that it supresses vibrations that color the
sound. It is wood with a special paint job that does the trick, and for a
mere $400 plus it is your's. Every element in this sad example is present
in each issue of many audio mags as standard food for consumption,ie.
claims for subjective changes in sound and "scientific" explanations
offered by which they are supported. The wood knob reminds me why I
allowed my subscription to a well known mag to lapse. A wire came in two
versions, one had standard metal finger pieces by which to plug them in
and the more expensive version had wooden finger pieces. The "review" of
the wire said the difference in sound was clear, if only a small
improvement over the metal version. Despite a flood of postcards and ever
smaller subscription prices to lure me back, never again has that mag
passed my threshold, it was the wooden handle that broke the camel's back
in what was a monthly flood of such nonsense claimed for wire and stands
and spikes and cd treatments and all manner of such. .

http://www.randi.org/jr/123104my.html#8