Posted to rec.audio.opinion
[email protected] eskenazi@gmail.com is offline

Default Can an HK AVR 230 receiver power Infinity Beta 50s?

I currently own a Harman Kardon AVR 230 receiver (rated 65w per channel
stereo, 50w per channel 6.1 with an HCC of + - 35 Amps). I would like
to purchase Infinity Beta 50s (10-250w), but I am not sure if my
receiver will provide ample power for these speakers. The Beta 40s
(10-200w) are nice as well, but I like the fact that the 50s have 8"
woofers (vs 6.5" in the 40s). I also heard that 50s use higher-end
electronic components (not confirmed). Any feedback on using either of
these speakers in combination with an HK AVR 230 receiver would be
greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

wrote:
Any feedback on using either of
these speakers in combination with an HK AVR 230 receiver would be
greatly appreciated. Thanks.

It is a matter of definition: If you intend to listen at a moderate
level in a moderately sized room (something under 2000 c.f. or so) from
normal orchestral and other sources, you should be fine. If your room
is larger, you listen at high average levels, or extremely dynamic
(very high peak-to-average) sources, you will not be so fine.

Example: If one watt is your average listening level, your PtoA at
20dB, you will need a 100 watt amp to be OK. 1 watt is typically pretty
loud as an average, but the relationship remains.

One assumes the figures you gave are continuous power, not peak power.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
vic vic is offline

Peter,

Thanks for the info. You sound like you know your stuff. If you don't
mind, here are some further details based on your comments that may
make bring this thread to more concrete conclusion. My living room is
12' wide x 18' long x 8.5' high (1836 cf). Next to it, is a dining
room that is 12' wide x 16' long x 8' high (1536 cf). There is no wall
separating the dining room, only a 16' opening with a 6" step up.
Behind it is a 12' opening with a 6" step up to the foyer (336 cf) and
hallway (240 cf). See rough sketch below.

|-------------------------------------|
| |
| Dining Room |
| |
---------------------------------------------------------|
Foyer | Entra .5 Beta 50 |
----- | Entra II center |
| | Entra .5 Beta 50 |
| |-------------------------------------------|
(JBL PSW1000 sub)

I listen to music and watch movies at moderate volume levels. Based on
these facts, would I be better off with the Beta 40s or maybe the Beta
20 bookshelves?

Thanks,
Victor

On Jan 12, 2:13 pm, " wrote:
wrote:
Any feedback on using either of
these speakers in combination with an HK AVR 230 receiver would be
greatly appreciated. Thanks.It is a matter of definition: If you intend to listen at a moderate

level in a moderately sized room (something under 2000 c.f. or so) from
normal orchestral and other sources, you should be fine. If your room
is larger, you listen at high average levels, or extremely dynamic
(very high peak-to-average) sources, you will not be so fine.

Example: If one watt is your average listening level, your PtoA at
20dB, you will need a 100 watt amp to be OK. 1 watt is typically pretty
loud as an average, but the relationship remains.

One assumes the figures you gave are continuous power, not peak power.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

vic wrote:

I listen to music and watch movies at moderate volume levels. Based on
these facts, would I be better off with the Beta 40s or maybe the Beta
20 bookshelves?

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER sacrifice speaker capacity for amplifier capacity.
The single greatest impact made on your system is the quality of the
speakers you choose. Power is cheap relative to good speakers. If you
must spend on your system, build it around the speakers, not _ANY_
other component. Start there, end there. The rest is really infill
towards excellent speakers and supporting their best performance.

With that mini-rant in mind, and if you are locked into that particular
receiver, get the _best_ possible speakers you can afford and listen to
them at moderate levels for now. You do have a large room if you
include the entire contiguous volume and so you do not want to have an
anemic system if there is a valid alternative.

As time passes, and if you do run into clipping problems with your
anticipated set-up, you can move up to more power a bunch less
expensively than you can move up to better speakers. Keep in mind that
based on 65wpc, "more power" really means you are starting at 200wpc as
the next level up, not 75 or 100wpc.

All the usual cautions apply: Audition a bunch of speakers. Obtain, if
possible, the right-to-return if what you hear in *your* home does not
match your expectations or what you heard in the shop. Try to audit
those speakers with sources you know... that is, bring your own CDs or
other material with which you are very familiar. DO NOT bring an iPod
or similar, bring a primary source. Try to match the audition
conditions as closely to your home conditions as is practical.
Understand that speakers are strange beasts, as your ears are strange
appendages. What sounds great in one location may wear on you in
another. It is very damned near impossible to formulate a valid opinion
on any given set of speakers in less than perhaps-20 hours of listening
over several days, at least. Only then will you be sure that what you
have will not irritate you over time. Does a combination of speakers
make you restless? Do you all-of-a-sudden want to get up and do
something? are you preternaturally alert, or uncomfortable (in a
negative sense)? Are you less concerned with the music than with
whatever else is happening? That could well be the speakers causing
that reaction. So take your time over (what should be) the single
largest expense in your system.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
vic vic is offline

Peter,

Thanks for the advice and information. I think I'm going to buy the
Beta 50s; I found them online for $550 (pair) with shipping; not too
shabby. Like you said, I can always buy a better receiver (and use the
old one in another room).

Thanks,
Victor