Posted to rec.audio.pro
rover9989

Default real time hum removal

Hello all,

When I use my computer mic to chat online or to record a sample opf my
voice, or simply to record anything, I get a loud background hum (I
suspect it the 60Hz power line is the culprit) . Is there any
software/freeware that can filter the microphone input before it is
received by chatting-software ? I suspect recording software will have
a hum removal feature, however I am interested in real-time hum
filtering for when I am chatting online. (The people on the receiving
end of the chatting software -the ones who get the pleasure of hearing
me -complain that the hum is loud and distracting).

Regards,
Roger Bourne

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Meindert Sprang

"rover9989" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello all,

When I use my computer mic to chat online or to record a sample opf my
voice, or simply to record anything, I get a loud background hum (I
suspect it the 60Hz power line is the culprit) . Is there any
software/freeware that can filter the microphone input before it is
received by chatting-software ? I suspect recording software will have
a hum removal feature, however I am interested in real-time hum
filtering for when I am chatting online. (The people on the receiving
end of the chatting software -the ones who get the pleasure of hearing
me -complain that the hum is loud and distracting).

You shouldn't try to beat the symptoms, you should cure the disease. A mic
connected to a computer alone should not produce hum. If it does, there is
either a screening problem or your computer is not grounded and thus
floating at half the mains voltage.

Meindert

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey

rover9989 wrote:

When I use my computer mic to chat online or to record a sample opf my
voice, or simply to record anything, I get a loud background hum (I
suspect it the 60Hz power line is the culprit) . Is there any
software/freeware that can filter the microphone input before it is
received by chatting-software ? I suspect recording software will have
a hum removal feature, however I am interested in real-time hum
filtering for when I am chatting online. (The people on the receiving
end of the chatting software -the ones who get the pleasure of hearing
me -complain that the hum is loud and distracting).

Why not fix the thing so it doesn't hum any more?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
P. Mustard

"rover9989" wrote in news:1150813699.345697.185770
@b68g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Hello all,

When I use my computer mic to chat online or to record a sample opf my
voice, or simply to record anything, I get a loud background hum (I
suspect it the 60Hz power line is the culprit) .

No, it is probably a cheap sound card with crappy mic preamp.
Replace the sound card, or get a small mixer and use those preamps
and plufg into the line in on your sound card, or cut 3-6dB at 60Hz
with a narrow Q....shouldn't matter for your application.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers

P. Mustard wrote:

No, it is probably a cheap sound card with crappy mic preamp.
Replace the sound card, or get a small mixer and use those preamps
and plufg into the line in on your sound card,

Not likely. None of them are that bad, unless the original poster is
exaggerating the scope of his hum problem. But he did mention "cable."
It that means "cable TV," that's a known source of ground pollution.

or cut 3-6dB at 60Hz
with a narrow Q....shouldn't matter for your application.

Obviously you've never tried this with nasty hum or you'd know that it
doesn't fix the problem, it only changes the tone of the hum.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers

Chevdo wrote:

NOBODY mentioned "cable".

Sorry, wrong thread. You can get back in your tree now. If it'll make
you feel better, search for the current thread about hum that mentions
"cable."

In the meantime, you could try to help him, but I guess you're too busy
trying to find fault with me to do that. .

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Bob Cain

rover9989 wrote:
Hello all,

When I use my computer mic to chat online or to record a sample opf my
voice, or simply to record anything, I get a loud background hum (I
suspect it the 60Hz power line is the culprit) . Is there any
software/freeware that can filter the microphone input before it is
received by chatting-software ?

Yes. "Virtual Audio Cable" is an application which allows you to
internally re-route audio streams from and to audio input/output
drivers and application programs. You then need an application with
selectable input and output drivers which allows the insertion of
processors such as VST plugins between them. "Audio Mulch" is such an
application that is free. Finally you need a notch plugin and
http://www.kvraudio.com/ is a site where you can locate such plugins,
some for free.

Bob
--

"Things should be described as simply as possible, but no simpler."

A. Einstein
Posted to rec.audio.pro
P. Mustard

"Mike Rivers" wrote in news:1150832162.900455.71900
@c74g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

Obviously you've never tried this with nasty hum or you'd know that it
doesn't fix the problem, it only changes the tone of the hum.

Only for a living.
For the OP's use, (I don't think he's recording symphonies)
my solution is probably fine.
Is talking over the internet 'pro' audio Mr. Rivers?
If he has a sound blaster and is using the 'mic in', I'd
bet my next pay cheque that that is the 'hum'.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers

P. Mustard wrote:

For the OP's use, (I don't think he's recording symphonies)
my solution is probably fine.

Maybe you have better quality hum than I have. Cutting 60 Hz by 3 dB
will reduce 60 Hz by 3 dB. But in my (all my life) experience, if you
have "hum" it has plenty of energy at a series of harmonics above the
fundamental, and a 3 dB cut at 60 Hz won't help at the far more
noticable frequencies of 180 and 240 Hz.

Is talking over the internet 'pro' audio Mr. Rivers?

Not if you have hum in it.

If he has a sound blaster and is using the 'mic in', I'd
bet my next pay cheque that that is the 'hum'.

Could be.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
dsp_critic

Insane Bob Cain wrote in
:

rover9989 wrote:
[...]

Too bad real-time DSP can't nullify an idiot's lack of common sense.

Just for Ludovic Audio Opinions 64 November 19th 05 04:17 PM
Share Your Snake Oil Story... Agent_C Pro Audio 365 March 17th 05 01:54 AM
Share Your Snake Oil Story... Powell Audio Opinions 134 March 17th 05 01:54 AM
Creating Dimension In Mixing- PDF available on Request (112 pages0 kevindoylemusic Pro Audio 14 February 14th 05 05:58 PM