Default Convert Optical (spdif) audio to analog RCA

Is there an inexpensive way to convert optical audio plug to RCA analog
jacks? My PC sound card is optical output only that I can use. I
googled it, but there seems to be more analog to optical than vise
versa and the ones I found are quite expensive.

Richard Crowley

michaeljc70 wrote ...
Is there an inexpensive way to convert optical audio plug to RCA analog
jacks? My PC sound card is optical output only that I can use. I
googled it, but there seems to be more analog to optical than vise
versa and the ones I found are quite expensive.

Radio Shack sells one, but their new website is useless for finding
anything anymore :-(

I want to feed mp3s from my PC into my whole house audio system. My
distribution amp (Xantech ZPR68) does not have an optical input. It
only has RCA jack inputs.

I have a couple of receivers that have optical inputs, but routing
through one of those would problem cause issues as those are used for
surround sound in 2 of my zones.

I'll add that though my sound card can feed RCA jacks, the sound is
horrible as there is a lot of interference (when hard drive is
spinning, you hear noise, etc.). I was told using the optical connector
would avoid this.

Dave

"Kalman Rubinson" wrote in message
On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 18:37:39 GMT, "Dave"
wrote:

"Kalman Rubinson" wrote in message
news
On 1 Nov 2005 17:45:49 -0800, wrote:

Not surprising. However, I would suggest you try it through the
receiver first before investing in additional circuitry. If that's
satisfactory, you can't use a standard audio DAC since they will not
support MP3.

I am curious as to why not... if your transport can READ the digital MP3
info (i.e. has an MP3 decoder chip or equivilant software) and output the
bitstream in digital format, any DAC should convert to analog... I use my
DVD player as a CD/HDCD/MP3 transport and pipe the digital output into my
aging Audio Alchemy DITB (modified as per your tweaks plus upgraded
op-amp)... works just fine.

Really? I stand corrected. I guess I was too influenced by the
inability of 'regular' audio DACs to handle DD or DTS. Thanks for the
instruction.

Kal (who never uses MP3)

I don't understand why anyone who could buy a good-quality CD or, even
better, HDCD, would spend the equivilent amount of money on 128kbps-encoded
MP3. The quality just IS NOT THERE. You could buy the CD, rip it to MP3
(for free, at any bitrate you like) to listen to when you're out jogging or
whatever you're doing with your mp3 player, and still have the original to
listen to in your livingroom. It's a question of quality over quantity I
guess... I only used MP3 as an illustration of just another digital
bitstream.... that and the fact that my LP walkman keeps skipping when I run
;-)

I would put MP3 in the same category with DT and DTS, they all require
additional decoding prior to d/a conversion. Does a DD decoder output a 5.1
signal, i.e. do you then need 6 DACs downstream to process? I know zero
about home theatre and will probably never have more than two channels.

Dave (who seldom uses MP3 and never uses DD or DTS)

Kalman Rubinson

On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 20:26:15 GMT, "Dave"
wrote:

I would put MP3 in the same category with DT and DTS, they all require
additional decoding prior to d/a conversion.

And they are all lossy. Otherwise, they have different uses.

Does a DD decoder output a 5.1 signal, i.e. do you then need 6 DACs downstream to process?

Generally, no, the output is 6 channels of analog signals. However,
there are exceptions. Some Meridian processors will output 3xS/PDIF
outputs from DD/DTS and a Swiss company will modify some players to do
similar.

I know zero about home theatre and will probably never have more than two channels.

If you live long enough, you might. ;-)

Kal
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Len Moskowitz

wrote:

Is there an inexpensive way to convert optical audio plug to RCA analog
jacks? My PC sound card is optical output only that I can use. I
googled it, but there seems to be more analog to optical than vise
versa and the ones I found are quite expensive.

Assuming that you really want to convert S/PDIF optical to stereo
analog, Radio Shack used to stock a low cost D-to-A converter, their
stock number 15-1242 for under $40. I use it occasionally to convert
digital sources to cassette.

If you want to convert S/PDIF optical (using Toslink or optical miniplug
connectors) to S/PDIF coaxial (using a single RCA connector), the
M-Audio CO2 will do the job. It's bit-for-bit accurate, while other
similar devices may not be.

http://www.core-sound.com/co2/1.php

Core Sound http://www.core-sound.com
Teaneck, New Jersey USA Tel: 201-801-0812, FAX: 201-801-0912