Trader

Default Tube Opinions

I have a little tube amp that has two Mullard (Webcor Brand) 6bqs and a
Telefunken 12AT7. I thought it would be fun to replace these tubes and hear
if I can tell a huge difference in sound. I was wondering what 12xxx to get
and how it would change the sound/bias of the amp.

Also, what are you opinion on the following tube brands for my amp:

Electro-Harmonix
Ei
JAN
JJ/Telsa
SINO
Sovetek

If you had to pick one brand above - what would it be?

Gregg

Behold, Trader signalled from keyed 4-1000A filament:

I have a little tube amp that has two Mullard (Webcor Brand) 6bqs and a
Telefunken 12AT7. I thought it would be fun to replace these tubes and
hear if I can tell a huge difference in sound. I was wondering what
12xxx to get and how it would change the sound/bias of the amp.

Also, what are you opinion on the following tube brands for my amp:

Electro-Harmonix
Ei
JAN
JJ/Telsa
SINO
Sovetek

If you had to pick one brand above - what would it be?

The 12AT7 is a medium-mu tube (listed as high-mu). You can interchange
12AX7 or 12AU7 for more/less gain respectively.

As for brands of tubes, I personally favor Sylvania and Svetlana (in
general, not just 12AT7) :-)

The Svetlana 6P14C makes a "tasty" 6BQ5 sub and has more gain.

--
Gregg t3h g33k
"Ratings are for transistors....tubes have guidelines"
Sam Byrams

Tube rolling is a bad habit that accomplishes little. Learn to
optimize the circuit for the tube you have.
Trader

The tubes I have are old and I thought it would be fun to play around. New
tubes cost very little compared to NOS big brand names.
m...