Mike

Default Amp on 110º angle = fail?

Currently my amp is screwed on the back of my fold down back seat in my
99 saturn sc2. It is on a 110=BA angle or so. It would work 50% of the
time only lasting for 2-5 minutes. So I drove a little bit without the
hatch up, and it hasn't gone out for almost 2 days. Is it safe to say
the amp cannot be held up sideways and has to be mounted flat on the
ground? Maybe it stopped the fan from spinning.

Any ideas?

Tony F

Amps can be mounted at any angle. It must be another problem.

Tony

--
2001 Nissan Maxima SE Anniversary Edition
Eclipse CD8454 Head Unit, Phoenix Gold ZX475ti, ZX450 and ZX500 Amplifiers,

2001 Chevy S10 ZR2
Pioneer DEH-P9600MP (Just gettin' started)

"Mike" wrote in message
oups.com...
Currently my amp is screwed on the back of my fold down back seat in my
99 saturn sc2. It is on a 110º angle or so. It would work 50% of the
time only lasting for 2-5 minutes. So I drove a little bit without the
hatch up, and it hasn't gone out for almost 2 days. Is it safe to say
the amp cannot be held up sideways and has to be mounted flat on the
ground? Maybe it stopped the fan from spinning.

Any ideas?

Charley

my amps are mounted upside down. If I wer to take a gues, something is
loose inside your amp. It COULD (in theory) be a heat problem, but I'd
think that was pretty weird. At 110 degrees, the amp is actually slightly
past vertical so I could see a problem with heat transfer is your amp is fan
cooled and does not have external heat sinks. My amps are a mix of 3 OLD
school PPIs and 3 brand-spankin'-new Lanzar vibes. All of them ride
completely upside down in a custom amp rack that contains several fans to
keep the air moving.

"Mike" wrote in message
oups.com...
Currently my amp is screwed on the back of my fold down back seat in my
99 saturn sc2. It is on a 110º angle or so. It would work 50% of the
time only lasting for 2-5 minutes. So I drove a little bit without the
hatch up, and it hasn't gone out for almost 2 days. Is it safe to say
the amp cannot be held up sideways and has to be mounted flat on the
ground? Maybe it stopped the fan from spinning.

Any ideas?

---

MZ

Some amplifiers are designed such that heat is more efficiently transferred
to the air at one orientation than at another, based on the positioning of
the heatsinks, etc. A couple years ago, someone in here disagreed that
there was any effect, so I tied a thermistor to one of the heat sinks in an
MTX amp I had laying around, and I went for a drive with the volume at full
tilt. In one instance, I had the amp right side up, and in the other it was
upside down, if I recall. There turned out to be a slight temperature
difference. The other guy (with whom I had the disagreement) tried
something similar and didn't measure any difference. Take it for what it's
worth.

Regardless, I sincerely doubt that the orientation would, in and of itself,
be shutting your amp off. There's probably something else going on, like a
loose connection.

Also, is there more airflow with the seat folded down? You know, windows
open, that sort of thing? It's winter, so I would imagine it would be
colder in the trunk than in the cabin of the car, but you never know...

"Mike" wrote in message
oups.com...
Currently my amp is screwed on the back of my fold down back seat in my
99 saturn sc2. It is on a 110º angle or so. It would work 50% of the
time only lasting for 2-5 minutes. So I drove a little bit without the
hatch up, and it hasn't gone out for almost 2 days. Is it safe to say
the amp cannot be held up sideways and has to be mounted flat on the
ground? Maybe it stopped the fan from spinning.

Any ideas?

mayhemkrew

Maybe a ground issue? I've seen alot of times installers use an inadequate
ground but the amp still work sometimes because it can get a semi-ground
from the metal that it was screwed in on the back of the seat.

oups.com...