Matt

Default type of bass

I've been googling around on this subject, but maybe I'm asking the wrong
question... I was driving for a couple hours today in my car. I have a 02
WRX w/ a "premium soundsystem" which includes an 8" subwoofer. Its
definitely cute. hehe. But since acquiring this vehicle, I've made some
audio upgrades and I'm looking at putting subs in it. I listened to a few
different types of music through my current system and I asked myself, are
there different kinds of bass?

I listened to some GnR and some Metallica, where the kickdrum has been very
punchy in other systems, but not so much in mine, but I also listened to
some rap/techno, where the bass sounded better. Does the percussive nature
of a real acoustic kickdrum sound different from a more synthesized "note"
of rap & techno? Would my small sub in a sealed box make the rap and techno
sound louder? would a larger driver and/or ported sub make a difference?

I currently have 2 12" Eminence Kappa Pro drivers and I'm designing the
subbox using the Eminence speaker designer software. I know the difference
in response between the two types of enclosures, but I don't know how that
translates to what I hear.

Any comments on the different kinds of bass? Thanks!

Cyrus

In article NM7vd.2692$Qk5.1996@lakeread04, "Matt"
wrote:

I've been googling around on this subject, but maybe I'm asking the wrong
question... I was driving for a couple hours today in my car. I have a 02
WRX w/ a "premium soundsystem" which includes an 8" subwoofer. Its
definitely cute. hehe. But since acquiring this vehicle, I've made some
audio upgrades and I'm looking at putting subs in it. I listened to a few
different types of music through my current system and I asked myself, are
there different kinds of bass?

Short answer: yes.

I listened to some GnR and some Metallica, where the kickdrum has been very
punchy in other systems, but not so much in mine, but I also listened to
some rap/techno, where the bass sounded better. Does the percussive nature
of a real acoustic kickdrum sound different from a more synthesized "note"
of rap & techno?

Definitely. Before the mix engineer gets his hands on it anyway.

Would my small sub in a sealed box make the rap and techno sound louder?

It could. Most frequency content in modern rap/r&b is centralized in a
couple places.

would a larger driver and/or ported sub make a difference?

Definitely. But it probably won't solve your midbass problem. Alot of
the older gnr and metallica stuff has almost as much midbass content as
bass/sub-bass stuff.

I currently have 2 12" Eminence Kappa Pro drivers and I'm designing the
subbox using the Eminence speaker designer software. I know the difference
in response between the two types of enclosures, but I don't know how that
translates to what I hear.

Experiment. Load some songs you know into a DAW program of some sort.
Find a spectrum analyzer and see where where the song is dancing. Play
with eq's to hear the changes real time, etc.

Any comments on the different kinds of bass? Thanks!

--
Cyrus

*coughcasaucedoprodigynetcough*

MZ

[...]

IME, the majority of complaints of this type stem from inadequate midbass
response - something that your midbass drivers are responsible for. Explain
a little about what you've got there.

Matt

Well I built a subwoofer for my home stereo with the resonant frequency of
the box too low and it was just boomy. I then reported it with an Fb of
around 65 or 70hz. This really made it punchy. what frequencies are "mid
bass?" What parameters should I look for when designing a sub and more
importantly, what do these SOUND like?

-matt

"MZ" wrote in message
[...]

JohnV@nn

Matt,
I have come to the realization that bass, sub-bass and highs are all pretty easy to achieve; the tough piece is the mid-bass. As
far as I can tell, the industry seems to focus all their attention (and marketing) on subs, largely ignoring the need for good
midbass equipment. Do a Google search for "midbass".in this group.

John