Posted to rec.audio.pro
Chris Whealy Chris Whealy is offline

Default Tascam MX-2424 software stability

Just been clearing down some old projects from the three different SCSI
disks (two internal and one external) attached to a Tascam MX-2424, and
the software has some stability issues!
After a few projects have been loaded, then unloaded, I get this general
purpose error message "RAM low, unmount and cycle power".

This error happens more frequently when using the MX-View remote control
software, but it also happen when controlling the machine through the
front panel. What concerns me is that a few days ago, after recording
several takes of a song (all in the same project), it suddenly issued
this catch all error message and wouldn't function any more - kinda
messed things up for a while.

The recorder currently has version 3.12 of the MX2424 software, and I've
hunted around on the net for an upgrade (assuming there is one), but
can't find one. Tascam has dropped all reference to this recorder from
their website, so all the other web pages that talk about "Visit Tascam
for further details" of the software are no longer valid.

To minimize the problems, we've decided that live sessions should be
recorded only onto an internal disk without the MX-View software fired
up. Has anyone else experienced these types of errors before?
Does anyone know if there is a more up to date version of the software
available, and if so, from where can it be downloaded?

Yes, I will call Tascam about it, but I was wondering if anyone already
had an answer.

Chris W

--
The voice of ignorance speaks loud and long,
But the words of the wise are quiet and few.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Nick Brown Nick Brown is offline

Chris Whealy wrote:

This error happens more frequently when using the MX-View remote control
software, but it also happen when controlling the machine through the
front panel. What concerns me is that a few days ago, after recording
several takes of a song (all in the same project), it suddenly issued
this catch all error message and wouldn't function any more - kinda
messed things up for a while.

I appreciate the MX-View software isn't the whole issue here, but I
seem to recall that the software was Java-based, in which case it may
be sensitive to the version of Java that's installed on the computer.
If it's not already mentioned in the documentation you have, one of
your questions to Tascam should be which version they recommend.

-Nick

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Nick Brown wrote:
I appreciate the MX-View software isn't the whole issue here, but I
seem to recall that the software was Java-based, in which case it may
be sensitive to the version of Java that's installed on the computer.
If it's not already mentioned in the documentation you have, one of
your questions to Tascam should be which version they recommend.

True. We've tried getting MX-View to run on Linux, and it won't have
it. Must be making native Windows OS calls or something.
I'll check it out.

Chris W

--
The voice of ignorance speaks loud and long,
But the words of the wise are quiet and few.
---
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

Chris Whealy wrote:

We've tried getting MX-View to run on Linux, and it won't have
it. Must be making native Windows OS calls or something.
I'll check it out.

While TASCAM has dropped all support for the MX-2424 (and the company
that developed it has gone away) there must be a support group for it
somewhere. You might call TASCAM, speak to Jim Bailey, and ask if he
knows of any user group resources. If anyone would know, he would.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Mike Rivers wrote:
While TASCAM has dropped all support for the MX-2424 (and the company
that developed it has gone away) there must be a support group for it
somewhere. You might call TASCAM, speak to Jim Bailey, and ask if he
knows of any user group resources. If anyone would know, he would.

Thanks for the contact name. I take it Jim would be in Montebello, CA?

Chris W

--
The voice of ignorance speaks loud and long,
But the words of the wise are quiet and few.
---

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Chris Whealy wrote:

Thanks for the contact name. I take it Jim would be in Montebello, CA?

Yup. I looked through a stack of business cards to try to find a direct
phone number for you but didn't see his. You'll just have to go through
the "directory tree" and probably leave a message. He's a busy guy as
now he's the Digital Products Manager.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Mike Rivers wrote:
Yup. I looked through a stack of business cards to try to find a direct
phone number for you but didn't see his. You'll just have to go through
the "directory tree" and probably leave a message. He's a busy guy as
now he's the Digital Products Manager.

Thanks for that Mike. I've also found an MX-2424 forum called
http://www.themx2424board.com.
Posted a message there also to see if someone has any clever work arounds.

Chris W