Posted to rec.audio.tech
Trish Trish is offline

Default Mess made - help needed - CoolEdit 2000/Audition

Recorded (or thought I did) a friend's interview on a radio show. Streamed
on Real Player, recorded using CoolEdit2000.
Saved as mp3 (or so I thought).

I went today to burn it to a CD for her and all I have is loud white noise.
The file is the correct length and quite a large size, but is either not an
mp3 or has been corrupted somehow.

I'm wondering whether it's possible the information is all there but I'm
just not accessing it correctly.

I can copy the file and transfer it to a friend's PC which has Audition on
it if that would help.

I would be very grateful for any help anyone could give me.
I feel like a right lemon.

--
Trish

Dublin

Posted to rec.audio.tech
TimPerry TimPerry is offline

"Trish" wrote in message
Recorded (or thought I did) a friend's interview on a radio show. Streamed
on Real Player, recorded using CoolEdit2000.
Saved as mp3 (or so I thought).

I went today to burn it to a CD for her and all I have is loud white

noise.
The file is the correct length and quite a large size, but is either not

an
mp3 or has been corrupted somehow.

I'm wondering whether it's possible the information is all there but I'm
just not accessing it correctly.

I can copy the file and transfer it to a friend's PC which has Audition on
it if that would help.

I would be very grateful for any help anyone could give me.
I feel like a right lemon.

--
Trish

Dublin

after starting cool edit select "open as" then pick the first choice one the
list. repeat until you have exhausted all choices. you may get lucky

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Trish Trish is offline

"TimPerry" wrote in message
snip

after starting cool edit select "open as" then pick the first choice one
the
list. repeat until you have exhausted all choices. you may get lucky

Thanks for the suggestion.
This was eventually cracked on another group - here is the solution.

"For the rest of the group - the file was named with an mp3 extension but
was
actually Linear PCM 44.1KHz, 16bit and the 16bit Motorola PCM setting
worked - all others returned white noise like the OP experienced.

Adobe Audition struggled until I noticed that CEP had defaulted to the
Motorola setting whereas Audition had defaulted to the Intel one which
DIDN'T work."

--
Trish

Dublin

Posted to rec.audio.tech
[email protected] dpierce@cartchunk.org is offline

Trish wrote:
"TimPerry" wrote in message
snip

after starting cool edit select "open as" then pick the first choice one
the
list. repeat until you have exhausted all choices. you may get lucky

Thanks for the suggestion.
This was eventually cracked on another group - here is the solution.

"For the rest of the group - the file was named with an mp3 extension but
was
actually Linear PCM 44.1KHz, 16bit and the 16bit Motorola PCM setting
worked - all others returned white noise like the OP experienced.

Adobe Audition struggled until I noticed that CEP had defaulted to the
Motorola setting whereas Audition had defaulted to the Intel one which
DIDN'T work."

Which means that one or the other or maybe both programs
has a significant bug in it. The programs should NOT depend
upon the extension to determine the format of the file: that
information is clearly held in the header information in the
file.

For example, there is absolutely NOTHING that prevents a WAV
file from being encoded in MPEG: that information is stated
clearly in the 'ftm' chunk of the WAV file. If a program looks at
a file and ASSUMES that .WAV = linear PCM, it's a stupid program
and needs to be discarded in the nearest trash bin and replaced
with something that does it right.

What's worse, MP3 data is blocked, and each block has
information in it that describes the properties of each block.
Rename a linear PCM file to a .MP3 extensien, or simply
stream linear PCM into an MP3 decoder, and it should
just give up and return an error or (in an ideal world), bypass
the encoder altogether and feed the linear PCM data directly
to the output. It's is hugely unlikely that there's any data
in the linear PCM stream which an MP3 decoder might
mistake as valid MP3 header information. THat this
decoder turned around and played as random noise is a
sure sign that this particular enocder is a piece of sh*t.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

dpierce wrote...
THat this
decoder turned around and played as random noise is a
sure sign that this particular enocder is a piece of sh*t.

Note the distinction "Motorola vs. Intel". This would appear
to imply "big-endian" vs "little-endian". If the two bytes in the
16-bit words were mis-interpereted, one could easily expect
to hear random noise. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endianness

This is a quite independent issue from PCM vs MPEG, etc.
and there also appeared to be an issue with mis-labeling the
file extension (which you observed should make no difference
to the application software).

Posted to rec.audio.tech

Richard Crowley wrote:
dpierce wrote...
THat this
decoder turned around and played as random noise is a
sure sign that this particular enocder is a piece of sh*t.

Note the distinction "Motorola vs. Intel". This would appear
to imply "big-endian" vs "little-endian". If the two bytes in the
16-bit words were mis-interpereted, one could easily expect
to hear random noise. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endianness

WAV files and other RIFF files are, by definition, little-
endian. Making them big-endian violates the RIFF
conventions.