Mike Turk

"Michael" wrote in message
news:MPG.1b571d9564e4b66d989780@newshost...
In article ,
says...

"Bob Chandler"

I've actually seen a couple people use WD-40 on a sctachy pot. I've
never tried it myself for fear of gunking it up but it did make it
quiet. I don't know what happened later. Is it as bad as I think it
would be?? I'm afraid to try it on anything I own.

** Those who do not suffer from such irrational fears find there is no
problem.

WD-40 is an OIL, not a CLEANER. Because of its nature
(to penetrate everything), it will let the wiper move some
dirt off of the resistive strip. However, because it *is*
an oil, it leaves a huge deposit of (what else) oil behind,
to which every passing speck of dust and dirt will stick.
Pretty soon afterwards, this coating of oil will cause more
problems because of the gunk buildup. This deposit will be
difficult for any cleaner to remove, and will probably
necessitate replacement of the pot.
Irrational fears?!? It's just common sense (and 25 years
experience in the electronics industry). Yeah, it can be a
quick fix for the evening, but it will cause problems in
the long run. The BEST thing to do is to take a couple of
minutes (not seconds) and move that pot over the length of
its travel over and over. This will clean it up enough to
where it will get you through the night, until you can get
some cleaner.
---Michael (of APP)...

WD40 always comes through for me to clean pots; unlike many other cleaners
or lubricants I have tried. It was taught to me by an absolute genius of an engineer
who never steered me wrong. I will continue to use it.

-mike

Logan Shaw

Michael wrote:
WD-40 is an OIL, not a CLEANER. Because of its nature
(to penetrate everything), it will let the wiper move some
dirt off of the resistive strip. However, because it *is*
an oil, it leaves a huge deposit of (what else) oil behind,
to which every passing speck of dust and dirt will stick.
Pretty soon afterwards, this coating of oil will cause more
problems because of the gunk buildup. This deposit will be
difficult for any cleaner to remove, and will probably
necessitate replacement of the pot.

From what I understand about WD-40, it's actually a combination
of several things. I believe the formula is a trade secret,
so nobody knows *exactly* what's in it. That by itself is
enough justification if you don't feel comfortable using it
on audio gear. One thing is for su the "WD" stands for
Water Displacing. So, at least according to its name, it's
supposed to remove water from things. Some info I found on
the net says it may do this due to the surface tension of
some of its ingredients. It also seems to contain a small
amount of some kind of lubricant, although I found several
people saying it's probably not enough for it to be useful
as a lubricant. And it may also contain some surfactants
(useful for cleaning things) and something that leaves a
protective coating to keep out moisture in the future.

Basically, as far as I can tell, the purpose of WD-40 is to
remove moisture from that rusted bolt you can't turn, add
a little lubricant to make it easier to turn, and add a
coating to hopefully reduce rust a little in the future.
So personally, I wouldn't use it on audio gear. It sounds
like it has some properties that are useful and some that
are not.

However, I should point out I've only had the two semesters
of college chemistry, and the lab for the second semester
was one of the two reasons that at the end of my senior year
I wasn't really sure if I was going to graduate or not. :-)

- Logan
mr c deckard

** Do the test I suggested with a length of insulated wire, XLR and
pre-amp. Then think how a voltage is created in the coil of a dynamic, mic
sent down the cable to the pre-amp and is amplified. Then realise that the
connecting cable is just an extension of that same coil.

Recall that a dynamic mic hums when placed near an AC power transformer (
except for those with effective, internal hum bucking coils).

ok, got that. but what about when the cable runs next to an AC
transformer? that's the part that i don't quite get -- i don't see
how it could induce current in one conductor in opposite polarity with
the other.

btw, i don't understand the voltage vs. current induction thing -- my
physics book says a moving B field will induce a /current/ in a coil.
what am i missing?

thanks,
chris deckard
saint louis moe

Phil Allison

"Michael"
Phil Allison

"Bob Chandler"

I've actually seen a couple people use WD-40 on a sctachy pot. I've
never tried it myself for fear of gunking it up but it did make it
quiet. I don't know what happened later. Is it as bad as I think it
would be?? I'm afraid to try it on anything I own.

** Those who do not suffer from such irrational fears find there is no
problem.

WD-40 is an OIL, not a CLEANER.

** Absolute bull**** - the solvent part ( about 85% of the mix) is very
much a cleaner.

Because of its nature (to penetrate everything), it will let the wiper move

some
dirt off of the resistive strip.

* More bull**** - the solvent *dissolves* the grease and carbon particle
mess that builds up on wipers.

However, because it *is* an oil, it leaves a huge deposit of (what else)

oil behind,

** Moving the wiper after using WD40 displaces the (very thin) oil from the
contact areas.

to which every passing speck of dust and dirt will stick.

** Drivel.

Pretty soon afterwards, this coating of oil will cause more
problems because of the gunk buildup. This deposit will be
difficult for any cleaner to remove, and will probably
necessitate replacement of the pot.

** Anti- WD40 freaks will make up any lie.

Irrational fears?!?

** Absolutely - plus barrels of bull****.

It's just common sense (and 25 years
experience in the electronics industry).

** You have none of the former and have learn little from the latter.

Yeah, it can be a
quick fix for the evening, but it will cause problems in
the long run. The BEST thing to do is to take a couple of
minutes (not seconds) and move that pot over the length of
its travel over and over. This will clean it up enough to
where it will get you through the night, until you can get
some cleaner.

** No doubt some spray consisting of a grease solvent and a light ( non
silicone) lubricant - but not called WD40 and far far more expensive.

............... Phil

Phil Allison

"Mike Turk"

WD40 always comes through for me to clean pots; unlike many other cleaners
or lubricants I have tried. It was taught to me by an absolute genius of

an engineer
who never steered me wrong. I will continue to use it.

** Tye voice of sanity.

............ Phil

Phil Allison

"Mike Rivers"

I've actually seen a couple people use WD-40 on a sctachy pot. I've
never tried it myself for fear of gunking it up but it did make it
quiet.

Any cleaner is just a temporary measure.

** And life is but a temporary state for mankind.

You can probably get through a gig using alcohol or even water,

** Beer, wine or spirits all taste much better - though.

but any pot that's scratchy (if the problem is really with the contact in

the pot and not DC leakage) and
is "cured" by cleaning will get scratchy again too soon.

** Pure nonsense.

When is this NG parrot going to learn NOT to post on subjects he has no
knowledge of ?????

............. Phil

Phil Allison

(
except for those with effective, internal hum bucking coils).

ok, got that. but what about when the cable runs next to an AC
transformer? that's the part that i don't quite get -- i don't see
how it could induce current in one conductor in opposite polarity with
the other.

** Currents have direction - voltages have polarity.

btw, i don't understand the voltage vs. current induction thing -- my
physics book says a moving B field will induce a /current/ in a coil.
what am i missing?

** Like many folk - you have not grasped the concept of what a circuit
is. Current can only *flow* in a circuit - ie a closed loop. But a
voltage ( also called an " emf " in some texts ) will exist between the
ends of a piece of wire exposed to a varying magnetic field.

............. Phil

Phil Allison

"Chris Hornbeck"

Your subtlety is wasted, but enjoyable.

** Unlike Chris who has been wasted so many times he can't remember.

.......... Phil

Geoff Wood

Phil Allison wrote:

When is this NG parrot going to learn NOT to post on subjects he
has no knowledge of ?????

I hope your thread is intended to be ironic , Phil. If not you are doing a
very good impression of that famous Roman emporer Biggus Dickus in Monty
Python.

Clean and lube pots and sliders with Caig Cailube. I wouldn't squirt
anything else in, apart from isopropyl. Certainly ot something that was 15%
other than solvent, and unknown .

geoff

Chris Hornbeck

On Fri, 9 Jul 2004 17:40:36 +1200, "Geoff Wood"
-nospam wrote:

Clean and lube pots and sliders with Caig Cailube. I wouldn't squirt
anything else in, apart from isopropyl. Certainly ot something that was 15%
other than solvent, and unknown .

I used something called LPS-1, available here in East Jesus, Arkansas
for decades with decent-but-not-great results and no damage.

Now, with Caig MCL available, why bother? It's not so expensive
that everybody can't have their own can.

A little dab'll do ya.

Chris Hornbeck
"That's where my forebears came from;
well, three of them anyway.
Who's been sleeping in my porridge?"
-Flanders and Swann

Phil Allison

"Geoff Wood"

Clean and lube pots and sliders with Caig Cailube.

** Which is a hydrocarbon grease solvent plus light oil.

I wouldn't squirt anything else in, apart from isopropyl.

** Useless - its not a grease solvent.

Certainly ot something that was 15%
other than solvent, and unknown .

** Bet you never eat Kentucky Fried either - those 11 secret herbs and
spices are a REAL worry !!

............. Phil

S O'Neill

Funny how when people decide to post mindless abuse - they often
end up describing themselves just perfectly .

Why do people post answers to this stuff, when something else....

S O'Neill

Funny how when people decide to post mindless abuse - they often
end up describing themselves just perfectly .

Why do people post answers to this stuff, when something else....

S O'Neill

....can be done, a direct reply to the real posts?

Are there newsreaders that can't do this, post to the middle of a branch?

ScotFraser wrote:
Steal your girlfriend in seventh grade?

Not possible, because (A) Phil obviously has not yet arrived at
seventh grade, and (B) no girl would ever show any interest in such
an immature inarticulate bedwetting ****-stain as this Phil cretin.

Scott Fraser

ScotFraser

When is this NG parrot going to learn NOT to post on subjects he has no
knowledge of ?????

When are you going to stop wasting the bandwidth of this NG with your
pre-adolescent attempts to insult others?

Scott Fraser

ScotFraser

One thing is for su the "WD" stands for
Water Displacing.

Yes, & the 40 indicates it was the 40th formula they came up with to attain the
desired results. It is also a completely non-diversified company. The WD40
Company only makes WD40.

Scott Fraser

Phil Allison

"ScotFraser"

When are you going to stop wasting the bandwidth of this NG with your
pre-adolescent attempts to insult others?

** He did it again !!

........... Phil

Scott Dorsey

Phil Allison wrote:

"Geoff Wood"

Clean and lube pots and sliders with Caig Cailube.

** Which is a hydrocarbon grease solvent plus light oil.

Nope. Try again. Get the MSDS and check it out.
The vehicle is a lot heavier than that of Cramolin, but it's
still no hydrocarbon. Also it has a reducing agent added.

Scott Dorsey

ScotFraser wrote:
One thing is for su the "WD" stands for
Water Displacing.

Yes, & the 40 indicates it was the 40th formula they came up with to attain the
desired results. It is also a completely non-diversified company. The WD40
Company only makes WD40.

Actually, this is no longer the case. After about fifty years just making
WD-40, they wound up merging with the folks that make 3-in-1 oil (another
source of nasty varnish) and some other products.

CatGut

"Phil Allison" wrote in message ...

[deletions]

: Current can only *flow* in a circuit - ie a closed loop. But a
: voltage ( also called an " emf " in some texts ) will exist between the
: ends of a piece of wire exposed to a varying magnetic field.
: ............ Phil

So are you saying that the voltage will be present without any current?

ScotFraser

Actually, this is no longer the case. After about fifty years just making
WD-40, they wound up merging with the folks that make 3-in-1 oil (another
source of nasty varnish) and some other products.
--scott

Well, there goes the neighborhood. Next they'll be producing cheap Chinese
large diaphragm microphones. BTW, I've only obtained one use from 3-in-1 oil.
What are the other 2?

Scott Fraser