Are Gold plugs/sockets a gimmick ?

Old December 28th 06, 12:08 AM posted to rec.audio.tubes,alt.guitar.amps
Too Long in the Wasteland

Default Are Gold plugs/sockets a gimmick ?

Gold plugs and sockets ...

I really think for any audio application it's a waste of gold and some
sucker's money. For high signal quality in computers and such it makes
sense.

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-Machine-gold-p...QQcmdZViewItem

Old December 28th 06, 12:39 AM posted to rec.audio.tubes,alt.guitar.amps
Peter Wieck

Too Long in the Wasteland wrote:
> Gold plugs and sockets ...

Gold plugs & sockets came into being for legitimate purposes as they
are both (relatively) heat-resistant and very corrosion resistant.
However, gold is not as good a conductor as either copper or silver on
an absolute scale.

So, if you are in a corrosive atmosphere, if the connections are blind
and/or very difficult to access, or any of several other legitimate
reasons, 'go for the gold'. Otherwise, not necessary.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA

Old December 28th 06, 03:17 AM posted to rec.audio.tubes,alt.guitar.amps

gold is the most oxygen resistant plating
available and is indispensable for audio
plug usage. there is nothing better.
silver is a better conductor and like copper
it oxidizes very rapidly.
silver tuns black when exposed to light and in
that blackened condition is a terrible conductor
copper turns dark red, brown and green when exposed
to oxygen and humidity, salt air.
so whoever said gold plated plugs were a waste is
a bone head
PS the best corrosion and oxidization prevention
is called: Pro Gold, there is nothing better.
Its made by CAIG chemicals

Old December 28th 06, 03:28 AM posted to rec.audio.tubes
Phil Allison

"Too Long in the Wasteland"

> Gold plugs and sockets ...
>
> I really think for any audio application it's a waste of gold and some
> sucker's money.

** Asinine twaddle.

Gold plating is indispensable for any high reliability signal connector -
especially where the connection has to be is left untouched for long
periods .

> For high signal quality in computers and such it makes sense.

** ROTFL.

Lotsa delicate, analogue millivolt level signals inside PCs - right.

........ Phil

Old December 28th 06, 03:47 AM posted to rec.audio.tubes,alt.guitar.amps
Arny Krueger

"Too Long in the Wasteland"
> wrote in message

> Gold plugs and sockets ...
>
> I really think for any audio application it's a waste of
> gold and some sucker's money. For high signal quality in
> computers and such it makes sense.

Gold is OK for applications where there is modest activity, and a harsh
environment.

It's not good for connectors that are mated and unmated a lot.

For cost reasons, the use of gold is minimized in careful designs.

Old December 28th 06, 07:37 AM posted to rec.audio.tubes,alt.guitar.amps
Ned Carlson

Too Long in the Wasteland wrote:

> Gold plugs and sockets ...
>
> I really think for any audio application it's a waste of gold and some
> sucker's money. For high signal quality in computers and such it makes
> sense.

Nothing wrong with the stuff, it is corrosion resistant, and
as you note, many computer connectors use it. I think rhodium
is probably better, but apparently it's harder to plate
connectors with rhodium thsan gold, and most folks never heard
of rhodium.

--
Ned Carlson
SW side of Chicago, USA
Old December 28th 06, 08:12 AM posted to rec.audio.tubes,alt.guitar.amps
Phil Allison

"Ned Carlson"

> Nothing wrong with the stuff, it is corrosion resistant, and
> as you note, many computer connectors use it. I think rhodium
> is probably better, but apparently it's harder to plate
> connectors with rhodium thsan gold, and most folks never heard
> of rhodium.

** Rhodium makes a good switch contact material but is not comparable with
gold as a long term connector material.

Rhodium is simply too hard to flow under light pressure and make intimate
metal to metal contact like soft gold does.

......... Phil

Old December 28th 06, 09:51 AM posted to rec.audio.tubes,alt.guitar.amps
n cook

Too Long in the Wasteland > wrote in
message ...

> Gold plugs and sockets ...
>
> I really think for any audio application it's a waste of gold and some
> sucker's money. For high signal quality in computers and such it makes
> sense.

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-Machine-gold-p...ket-El34-6550_
W0QQitemZ250066339663QQihZ015QQcategoryZ73375QQssP ageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZVi
ewItem

News==----

Newsgroups

=----

Some other musts for hi-fi nuts
http://sound.westhost.com/satcure/scam.htm

I've found too many problems with au-plated phono/rca.
Solid outer barrels , no axial cuts, so they almost weld themselves to the
socket outers. Use with monster thick cable and there is nothing much to
hold the cable sheathing so breaks/shorts etc

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

Old December 28th 06, 04:51 PM posted to rec.audio.tubes,alt.guitar.amps
Stephen Cowell

"RonSonic" > wrote in message

> The only advantage of gold is that it doesn't corrode, neither does the
> more
> common, more rugged and much less expensive nickel plating you usually see
> on
> jacks and plugs. The advantage of gold disappears in a world where the
> plug
> needs to be cleaned occasionally anyway, like when used for guitar cables
> and
> getting dragged across the floor.

Those of us that own guitar cords with gold-plated
ends can testify that it doesn't last long... my Steve Vai
Signature cable (bought in a fit of indulgence, expensive)
while it works fine has little plating left on it... thankfully
there was nickel under the gold, perhaps the best way
to do it. Anyone else here ever rubbed the gold off of
a pickup cover? That's another big problem, gold plating
is always as thin as they can get away with.
__
Steve
..

gold archive grade dvd dale Pro Audio 10 June 5th 05 10:23 AM
FS: PHEONIX GOLD AMPS AND WOOFERS ON SPECIAL NEXXON Car Audio 1 August 26th 04 05:44 PM
FS: PHEONIX GOLD AMPS AND WOOFERS ON SPECIAL NEXXON Audio Opinions 0 August 21st 04 04:44 AM
FS: PHEONIX GOLD AMPS AND WOOFERS ON SPECIAL NEXXON Pro Audio 0 August 21st 04 04:44 AM
FS: PHEONIX GOLD AMPS AND WOOFERS ON SPECIAL NEXXON Marketplace 0 August 21st 04 04:43 AM