ludovic mirabel

Default Why do the anti-ABX folks not deliver?

(Stewart Pinkerton) wrote in message ...
On Fri, 01 Aug 2003 14:57:41 GMT,
(ludovic
mirabel) wrote:

It all is just pointless in the end. One begins by pointing out an
easily demonstrable fact that in 30 years of ABXing there is not one
single published positive outcome report of a comparison between any
electrically comparable audio components by a PANEL of audiophiles.
Positive as judged by the reporting proctors. The reason being that
the MAJORITY of panelists consistently failed to hear differences
between any such components: cables, preamps, amps, cdplayers, dacs.
As well as 1,75db volume difference between a thin and a thick cable,
up to 2% artefacted distortion. Nothing, nothing whatsoever was ever
different when ABXed by a panel of average audiophiles.
And the replies? "There are many such reports.." (The latest such from
a ,Mr. Audio Guy). No quote, no reference, nothing to look up and
verify. . Ah, there is also JJ. who said that once he and his, no
doubt ordinary, average audiophile friends heard differences between
something and something else but omitted to publish the results. This
is Science with a capital S and you'd better believe it.
Or else Mr. Pinkerton quoting himself and his own "panel" of his two
friends. Or reference to personal reports on Mr. Krueger's website-
which, on what, where- who knows? More Science.
Or when it is pointed out that the two most prominent ABXers, Krueger
and Nousaine emphatically deny that there are or could be differences
between ANY electrically comparable amplifiers Mr. Pinkerton explains
that their blindness is due to their not being fortunate enough to
have heard HIS stuff. This too is Science.
The experience is that of anyone trying to argue with a sectarian
zealot ringing your bell at 8am. on Sunday. In the end one feels: "Why
waste time?
Gentlemen you have a wonderful test. It is easily repeatable by any
audiophile contemplating a purchase. You have quoted abundant
convincing evidence in support. You win.
Ludovic Mirabel
Just one more dogma from the true faith:
Mr. Pinkerton truly believes that: "
There is however *no* speaker which will allow you to hear the
difference between two 'audiophile' cables.......................

And here is a little text quoted from Mr. Krueger. That is Mr. Krueger
as he was 3 years ago. Just as self- assured and accusing others of
lying as the true believers are still prone to do. I said:
" There is abundant evidence to show that the audiences
tested under the ABX procedure are unable to hear differences between
components such as cables, interconnects, and amplifiers.

A.Krueger in "ABX-is it useful?" thread, message 2, on 14.9.2000
answered:
"Flase claim, actually two of them. There are published ABX tests that
have found reliable audible differences between cables and
amplifiers. Actually three flase claims because I wrote an article
about audible differences between interconnects that was submited to
Audio Magazine but not accepted."
I'll let Mr. Pinkerton and Mr. Krueger argue out what does each one
of them believe as of 2003, where lies the land of true dogma and
which is the land of the heretic as of what date.

And this little debating gem. I said:
In no other sphere of life do people talk about
a "test" to compare differences- only in this little audio courtyard.

Mr. Pinkerton answers:
I take it that you have never heard of the pharmaceutical industry?

This rhetorical rabbit punch would not be worth a comment except that
it illustrates so beautifully what I had in mind when I was talking
about the RAHE debating style. Mr. Pinkerton knows perfectly well that
we're discussing differences /preferences in the sphere of sensory
experience: music, painting, wine tasting etc. Not testing drugs with
an objectively assessable outcome: does it work or not. But he can't
resist grabbing for dear life onto a missing qualifier.

(Stewart Pinkerton) wrote in message news:iW%Va.24701$YN5.23392@sccrnsc01...
On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 07:27:20 GMT,
(ludovic
mirabel) wrote:

(Stewart Pinkerton) wrote in message ...
On Sun, 27 Jul 2003 21:57:36 GMT,
(ludovic
mirabel) wrote:

Snip previous discussion that underwent surgical treatment already

Whereupon I confronted him with disagreement from other noted ABX
experts using THEIR ears, THEIR ABX TRAINING level and THEIR musical
experience: To them ABXing showed that: "No there are no differences
between competent amplifiers ever. They all sound the same"
A very awkward situation for someone claiming that he has a "test"-
the very essence of a test ( as opposed to an opinion) being
REPEATABILITY.

Sure it's repeatable - but you have to use the same equipment. Tom and
Arny used different equipment, and got the reults that they got.
There's no inconsistency here - unless you are a Mirabel with an
agenda. Please supply details of *any* test which you can demonstrate
to be superior in its ability to resolve subtle but *real* sonic
differences.

I get it. It is after all possible to duplicate that one and one only
epoch-making positive ABX result of yours but.... only if one has the
same equipment as you do.

Not epoch-making at all, as Arny has also posted lots of positive ABX
results. Indeed, he has a whole website full of them.

So Mr. Nousaine pouring ridicule on the
"amplifier sound" has been making a mistake for the last was it 20 or
30 years.

Not what I said at all, as you well know.

Mr. Nousaine didn't buy Apogee Duettes and Krell amplifier.

He also didn't compare the same amps that I did.

Had he done so he would hear how different the amplifiers sound and
recant his sins.

Note that the Audiolab 8000P and Hafler XL600 did *not* sound
different from the Krell. You really must abandon all this posturing,
and try to come up with some kind of rational defence for your
position.

A little problem remains though. Let's say Nousaine does get your
equipment and still hears no "amplifier sound". You might say (in fact
you almost certainly would) that it is well known that speakers of the
same manufacture can differ,

Not at all. I might simply accept that I have better hearing! :-)

However, I would be very surprised if Tom and I did not come up with
very similar results if taking part in the same tests. IME, human
hearing doesn't have anything like the variation that you guys try to
claim. Try the 'hearing tests' on Arny's website, and you'll find a
pretty sharp change from 'undectable' to '100% detectable' which is
consistent for most listeners. Heck, that's how JJ et al go about
*designing* all those nice codecs like AAC and MP3!

Sorry no "evidence" to give. Mr. Pinkerton, only opinions. How can I
convey to you (and others) that I don't believe any individual has a
"test" valid for other individuals for comparing components for their
musical qualities.

No, Ludovic, your problem is that *no* test will confirm your own
prejudices. Just because you *think* that two components should sound
different, doesn't mean that they actually do.

You believe Duettes allow you to recognise
differences?

So do lots of other speakers - where there is a *real* difference.
There is however *no* speaker which will allow you to hear the
difference between two 'audiophile' cables.......................

Good for you. But not for me. You're sure your opinion is
better than mine? Everybody's opinion is better than everybody else's.
They are not testable.

Sure they are - you just don't like the results!

In no other sphere of life do people talk about
a "test" to compare differences- only in this little audio courtyard.

I take it that you have never heard of the pharmaceutical industry?

Stewart Pinkerton

On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 06:03:20 GMT, (ludovic
mirabel) wrote:

Just one more dogma from the true faith:
Mr. Pinkerton truly believes that: "
There is however *no* speaker which will allow you to hear the
difference between two 'audiophile' cables.......................

Not dogma, but an opinion backed by many DBTs. Do you have *one*
single shred of evidence to show that you or anyone else *can*
distinguish two 'audiophile' cables by sound alone?

If you do, then I'll give that person £1,000, as I have often stated
on uk.rec.audio.

I said:
In no other sphere of life do people talk about
a "test" to compare differences- only in this little audio courtyard.

Mr. Pinkerton answers:
I take it that you have never heard of the pharmaceutical industry?

This rhetorical rabbit punch would not be worth a comment except that
it illustrates so beautifully what I had in mind when I was talking
about the RAHE debating style. Mr. Pinkerton knows perfectly well that
we're discussing differences /preferences in the sphere of sensory
experience: music, painting, wine tasting etc. Not testing drugs with
an objectively assessable outcome: does it work or not. But he can't
resist grabbing for dear life onto a missing qualifier.

No Ludovic, we're discussing *audible* differences, not *anything* to
do with painting or wine tasting. And we are indeed looking for an
objetive outcome - can you hear a difference, or not.

S888Wheel

Ludovic said

It all is just pointless in the end. One begins by pointing out an
easily demonstrable fact that in 30 years of ABXing there is not one
single published positive outcome report of a comparison between any
electrically comparable audio components by a PANEL of audiophiles.
Positive as judged by the reporting proctors.

Audio Guy said

Could it be that in every test performed so far that there really
weren't any differences? No, that couldn't possibly be true, now
could it? And it would make all of Elmir's posts just pointless in
the end. Naw, it couldn't possibly be true.

Well, I guess it depends on who you ask. Tom Nousaine has said numerous times
he has never seen any relaible, varifiable tests that have suggested audible
differences when comparing "competently" designed and built amps. OTOH Stewert
Pinkerton has reported some positive results in some of his tests between what
I suspect would be considered by most if not all to be competently designed and
built amps.

Howard Ferstler

(S888Wheel) wrote in message ...
Ludovic said

[...]

Some time back, I had an ABX box "loaner" and I did a series of
comparisons with several different amps. (I wrote about some of these
comparisons for The Sensible Sound.) With both music and pink-noise
sources most sounded alike. The speakers used were usually Dunlavy
Cantatas (I had recently reviewed them for the magazine), with the
more expensive amps usually connected by Dunlavy LCR Ultra cables, and
with the cheaper amps connected with 16 AWG lamp cord, further putting
the cheaper amps at a theoretical disadvantage. In some earlier
sighted (but still very carefully level matched) comparisons I used
Waveform MC satellites and NHT ST4 speakers (both also previously
reviewed for the magazine), and I could still not hear any differences
- except with one amp.

That amp was inside of a JVC receiver that was getting a bit long of
tooth, and was running considerably hotter than I would have liked. I
could not hear any difference between it and any other amps with music
played at reasonable levels. However, I could hear a very slight
difference with pink noise. Obviously, the amp was either generating
enough spurrious distortion products to color that noise, or else its
frequency response was off somewhat. However, it was not screwed up
enough to impact the musical comparisons.

The other amps were all pretty much middle of the road in terms of
cost (some Yamaha DSP integrated units, an AudioSource Amp One, a
lower-priced Bryston unit that was also loaned to me, an Onkyo
receiver, etc.), although I did make use of some Sherbourn monoblocks
that had been sent to me to review. They sounded no different from the
other amps at any reasonable listening levels.

I concluded (at least for me, with my speakers, in my room) that it
was unlikely that any of the amps (save the JVC receiver) had any
audible distortion, simply because if they had any they would all have
to be identical distortions. That seemed unlikely, given that most
were built by different companies.

I am a bit longer of tooth than most of those who post here, but I do
think that even if some younger individuals could hear differences
with those amps (those other than the JVC, which even I could hear)
those differences would be considerably smaller than what some people
claim they here when they go to a showroom or when they bring a new
amp home and "compare" it to what they already have. In most cases,
they do not level match properly, and that shoots the whole comparison
to pieces. As far as I am concerned, precise level matching and the
ability to switch amps quickly is as important as, and possibly even
more important than, the DBT protocol.

Of course, no matter what anybody says about comparisons, what matters
is whether an individual can himself hear differences. Because of
this, it is very advisable for those who are really looking to see if
differences exist to do their comparing carefully level matched - and
if they think they will be biased towards one amp being a winner or
loser, they should try to do the comparing DBT style. The same
criteria should be used when comparing cables.

Incidentally, not long after doing the comparisons with the JVC
receiver, it incinerated itself in my living room. Took a while to get
rid of the smell.

Folks, I am on and off when it comes to participating in Usenet these
days, because our house is being turned upside down as a result of
some home-improvement modifications (about $80 grand worth, actually).
Consequently, if some are wondering where I went, I have went nowhere.
I just do not have a computer in operation quite a bit of the time.

Howard Ferstler
S888Wheel

I said

Not really. Ludovic has been asking for published tests.

Arny said

It's an effective way to quash most of the work that has been done, given
that most audio magazine editors have a pretty good track record for not
publishing articles that disagree with what makes money for them.

That shouldn't be an issue for academic publications such as the AESJ and other
potentially interested journals of similar stature. Publication in consumer
magazines would not really do much to support the merits of any tests IMO.
ludovic mirabel

(Audio Guy) wrote in message news:iRvZa.114292$Ho3.14571@sccrnsc03...
In article IelZa.111458$YN5.76804@sccrnsc01,
(ludovic mirabel) writes:

It all is just pointless in the end. One begins by pointing out an
easily demonstrable fact that in 30 years of ABXing there is not one
single published positive outcome report of a comparison between any
electrically comparable audio components by a PANEL of audiophiles.
Positive as judged by the reporting proctors.

Mr. Audio comments:
Could it be that in every test performed so far that there really
weren't any differences? No, that couldn't possibly be true, now
could it? And it would make all of Elmir's posts just pointless in
the end. Naw, it couldn't possibly be true.

Now this is an interesting hypothesis. Let's run with it for a while.
Suppose you're testing for the possibility of intelligent beings out
in the universe. Using the available tests all your results are
negative. This leaves two possibilities; 1) No beings as intelligent
as earthlings (???) exist out there, or 2) The tests available so far
stink.
Now let's get down to our cooncerns from on high. No differences
found by PANELS ABXing cables, preamps, amps, cdplayers, dacs.
Distortion not heard till greater than 2%. Volume difference of 1,75db
not heard.
Two possibilities as befo 1) There are no differences between
anything and anything "competently designed" in audio or 2) Yes, you
guessed it.
Actually this kind of thing is on page1 of introduction to
experimental science.
The point? A "test" which produces negatives only when used by the
majority of the target population, that it is supposed to serve, is
useless for the purpose. Even if a few here and there manage
performances out of ordinary.
Further, accepting the Audio Guy postulate means that Hafler,
Strickland, Manley, Meidtner, Paravicini are either deluded or
fraudulent. And so are the critics like Atkinson (an electronics eng.
I believe), J.G. Holt etc. And so are all those who believe that
audio. high-end has a meaning and a purpose. And it means that the
only clear thinkers, their ears and brains wonderfully vindicated,
are those who hear no differences ever. In truth they have some 99,5%
of the earth population on their side so they must be right.
Ludovic Mirabel

S888Wheel

I said

Tom Nousaine has said numerous times
he has never seen any relaible, varifiable tests that have suggested

audible
differences when comparing "competently" designed and built amps. OTOH

Stewart
Pinkerton has reported some positive results in some of his tests

between what
I suspect would be considered by most if not all to be competently

designed and
built amps.

Stewert said

Actually, the MF and Rega designs were real dogs! :-)

MF? Musical Fidelity? Some that sounded different were what you would call
competent and reasonably well built though yes?

Audio Guy said

I agree that there have been positive outcome tests, but Elmir seems
to think no tests performed so far have been able to show
differences. Your argument is with him, not me.

I said

Not really. Ludovic has been asking for published tests. Stewert hasn't
published his tests.

Stewert said

They've been published on this and other Usenet fora several times.
Ludovic just likes to exclude tests which don't fit his prejudices.

I didn't know you published them. Sorry for the error. I wonder why Tom
Nousaine insists that no such results have ever been published then. Maybe he
is limiting his definition of "published" To "dead tree" publishing? Tom?

Stewart Pinkerton

On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 05:05:10 GMT, (S888Wheel) wrote:

I said

Tom Nousaine has said numerous times
he has never seen any relaible, varifiable tests that have suggested audible
differences when comparing "competently" designed and built amps. OTOH Stewart
Pinkerton has reported some positive results in some of his tests between what
I suspect would be considered by most if not all to be competently designed and
built amps.

Stewart said

Actually, the MF and Rega designs were real dogs! :-)

MF? Musical Fidelity? Some that sounded different were what you would call
competent and reasonably well built though yes?

Yes, there were (admittedly slight, but still statistically
significant) audible differences for instance between the Audiolab
8000P and 8000A models, both highly respected at the time.

Tom and I differ in this regard, although our opinions are generally
aligned on audio matters. We certainly agree about cables.

Audio Guy said

I agree that there have been positive outcome tests, but Elmir seems
to think no tests performed so far have been able to show
differences. Your argument is with him, not me.

I said

Not really. Ludovic has been asking for published tests. Stewert hasn't
published his tests.

Stewart said

They've been published on this and other Usenet fora several times.
Ludovic just likes to exclude tests which don't fit his prejudices.

I didn't know you published them. Sorry for the error. I wonder why Tom
Nousaine insists that no such results have ever been published then. Maybe he
is limiting his definition of "published" To "dead tree" publishing? Tom?

Ludovic also seems to regard Usenet as not 'proper' publishing,
despite the readership base for some audio newgroups being higher than
for several 'audiophile' magazines such as UHF, TAS and HiFi+.

Stewart Pinkerton

On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 04:53:06 GMT, (ludovic
mirabel) wrote:

(S888Wheel) wrote in message ...
(S888Wheel) wrote in message ...
Ludovic said:

It all is just pointless in the end. One begins by pointing out an
easily demonstrable fact that in 30 years of ABXing there is not one
single published positive outcome report of a comparison between
any electrically comparable audio components by a PANEL of
audiophiles. Positive as judged by the reporting proctors.

Audio Guy said

Could it be that in every test performed so far that there really
weren't any differences? No, that couldn't possibly be true, now
could it? And it would make all of Elmir's posts just pointless in
the end. Naw, it couldn't possibly be true.

Mr. Wheel comments:
Well, I guess it depends on who you ask. Tom Nousaine has said
numerous times he has never seen any relaible, varifiable tests that
have suggested audible differences when comparing "competently"
designed and built amps.
OTOH Stewert Pinkerton has reported some positive results in some of
his tests between what I suspect would be considered by most if not all
to be competently designed andbuilt amps.

You are getting close to the nub of the argument. It is: " Is ABX a
suitable method for comparing audio components?". . Nousaine, an ABX
authority, a prolific writer, for many years on ABX "testing",
affirms emphatically that no competently etc. etc....amplifiers
"reliably" "tested" (ie using ABX) do or can sound different from each
other.. But Pinkerton, also a prolific writer on the subject, and
another super-trained and experienced authority DOES hear differences.

OTOH, I have no doubt whatever that I would find significant measured
differences between any two amplifiers which sounded different, e.g.
crossover distortion and HF IMD in the Yamaha AX-570 would explain the
slight brightness I observed.

I have *never* heard differences among cables, and a large pool of
money has for several years awaited anyone who can. It's still waiting
for someone to even try..............

What does it say about ABX as a "test"? It says that two "experts"
with different DNA and differently wired auditory cortex disagree
diametrically on what the ABX tells them.

No, it simply says that we achieved different results in different
tests. It would be much more interesting if we had achieved different
results in the *same* test.

If a "test" does not produce repeatable results when handled by two
such experts what use is it to the great unwashed audiophile crowd?

Funny that *none* of this crowd have produced positive results among
their favourite toys when actually tested by *any* unsighted
method..................

Pinkerton dodges the issue with a lame argument: :" Ah, if only he had
MY amplifiers to test!".

Not quite what I said, and not any kind of 'dodge'.

Nousaine keeps diplomatic silence: he
committed himself in the past to "there is no amplifier sound"
position and has nothing to add or alter- or do you Mr. Nousaine?
As for myself I'm with Pinkerton.

No, you're not, since you refuse to acknowledge the importance of
unsighted testing.

Of course there are differences
between amplifiers and of course I still hear them blinded using my
preferred method of simultaneous comparison-

You have never demonstrated this to be the case, and your test is
pathetically incompetent for several reasons, which have been
explained to you ad nauseam.

but not any longer when
using ABX. In that I reproduce the behaviour of the majorities in all
of the reported component comparison by an audiophile PANEL. Most
(but not all!!!)cannot hear differences between anything whatsoever
and anything else.
Why a PANEL? Simply because a "test" that its proponents claim is
usable by its intended target population should result in at least
one positive outcome by a substantial majority, not just a recounting
of personal experiences as proof of positive tests.
And what happens in fact? In fact Mirabel hears the differences. So
does Pinkerton, To THEM the amplifiers sound different.

Only some of them..................

Mirabel however claims to hear that *everything* sounds different - as
it would using his fatally flawed 'test'.

If you look up
Mr Krueger's 10th of August posting you'll see that in the year of
Grace 1982 they sounded different to him as well. Since? Who knows.
On the other hand to Nousaine there are NO differences. In that he
agrees with the majority of the ABX panelists tested by one of the ABX
codevelopers Mr. Clark in the ‘'83 Stereo Review.

Do I claim my personal results as "evidence"? Of course not. I'm
acquainted with the introductory textbook chapters on how to conduct
the scientifically valid, reportable testing. I do not report personal
opinions as anything else but opinions.

No, you persistantly *claim* that you *can* hear differences, even
though you have conducted no properly controlled trials.

Arny Krueger

"S888Wheel" wrote in message

I said

Not really. Ludovic has been asking for published tests.

Arny said

It's an effective way to quash most of the work that has been done,
given that most audio magazine editors have a pretty good track
record for not publishing articles that disagree with what makes
money for them.

That shouldn't be an issue for academic publications such as the AESJ
and other potentially interested journals of similar stature.

It's not. At the AES the issue in question was settled years if not decades
ago in favor of DBTs.

Furthermore, AES publications are scientific, not commercial. Therefore
references to commercial products, if relevant, are deleted or concealed.

Publication in consumer magazines would not really do much to support
the merits of any tests IMO.

In the engineering/scientific community, the DBT issue has been settled for
years, if not decades in favor of DBTs.

Howard Ferstler

(ludovic mirabel) wrote in message news:So_Za.86586$cF.27790@rwcrnsc53...
(S888Wheel) wrote in message ...
(S888Wheel) wrote in message ...
Ludovic said:

[...]

Much would depend upon the speakers. Some speakers put real pressure
on amps that would normally have no problems with more "normal"
speakers. I believe that Mr. Pinkerton has some pretty demanding
speakers. With the more "normal" models I have worked with, I have
heard no differences, both with a level-matched ABX procedure and with
a non-blind series that still involved matching levels very closely.
And, no, you cannot match levels closely using an SPL meter, nor can
you do it globally. It has to be done one channel at a time,
preferably with a digital volt meter. Admittedly, you can do one
channel at a time by ear if you use a pink-noise source, but even that
has to be done with care.

What does it say about ABX as a "test"? It says that two "experts"
with different DNA and differently wired auditory cortex disagree
diametrically on what the ABX tells them.

See above. A demanding speaker load could probably be the reason for
Mr. Pinkerton's situation. Also, I have compared a number of amps, and
although most sounded alike (at least at reasonable sound levels that
did not clip the smaller amps), one did sound different, at least with
pink noise. The difference was subtle, and not too long after I used
that amp for testing (it was within an aged JVC receiver) it
incinerated itself in my living room. In other words, the only amp
that sounded different was an amp that was in serious trouble.

If a "test" does not produce repeatable results when handled by two
such experts what use is it to the great unwashed audiophile crowd?

It gives members of that "crowd" guidelines, as well as an incentive
to go discover for themselves if what the sales people and high-end
magazine journalists are saying about profound differences in amp
performance are really all that audible. My take on the issue is that
those who are genuinely concerned about this issue will do their own
series of DBT comparisons. If they have problems with the DBT
protocol, they can at least do some crude single-blind testing. The
trick is to do the comparing with VERY precise level matching.
Quick-switching capabilities are also important, although the ability
to quick switch will not preclude the individual from doing the
comparisons slow. However, quick switching can offer up some rather
dramatic evidence about how amps mostly sound alike.

Pinkerton dodges the issue with a lame argument: :" Ah, if only he had
MY amplifiers to test!". Nousaine keeps diplomatic silence: he
committed himself in the past to "there is no amplifier sound"
position and has nothing to add or alter- or do you Mr. Nousaine?

Why should he? He and the people he has tested have heard no
differences. For them the issue is closed. I suggest that you do some
genuine DBT work yourself (remember to precisely level match) and come
to some conclusions of your own. For you, that approach is superior to
harping on assorted, supposedly sub-par DBT comparsions done by
others.

As for myself I'm with Pinkerton. Of course there are differences
between amplifiers and of course I still hear them blinded using my
preferred method of simultaneous comparison- but not any longer when
using ABX.

The DBT protocol employed by the ABX device is pretty foolproof. It
eliminates any ability on the part of the participant to have a
favored device "win" the face off. Your system seems overly complex,
compared to an ABX procedure that is straighforward as hell. You
cannot fool the ABX device, and it will not let you fool yourself,
either.

In that I reproduce the behaviour of the majorities in all
of the reported component comparison by an audiophile PANEL. Most
(but not all!!!)cannot hear differences between anything whatsoever
and anything else.
Why a PANEL? Simply because a "test" that its proponents claim is
usable by its intended target population should result in at least
one positive outcome by a substantial majority, not just a recounting
of personal experiences as proof of positive tests.

This makes no sense to me. What matters is if an individual can hear
differences. That individual need only satisfy himself that he can or
cannot hear performance contrasts. And the best way to be absolutely
sure of what he can or cannot hear is to do a level-matched DBT. That
way, he cannot fool either himself or anybody else. Of course, he may
simply not care about comparing closely, and he has a full right to
feel that way. But if he REALLY wants to know he might consider the
level-matched DBT approach.

And what happens in fact? In fact Mirabel hears the differences. So
does Pinkerton, To THEM the amplifiers sound different.

Well, as I noted, Pinkerton has some demanding speakers. And in my
situation I had an amp (receiver) that was in serious trouble. As for
you, did you really do the comparisons precisely level matched, with a
DBT protocol that kept you from pre-selecting a winner?

If you look up
Mr Krueger's 10th of August posting you'll see that in the year of
Grace 1982 they sounded different to him as well. Since? Who knows.

Well, I have pointed out some reasons why amps might sound different.
Actually, when I did some of my comparing I deliberately mismatched
levels on one channel at a time in order to see what resulted. The
results were that the soundstaging changed from amp to amp, and I
believe this is one reason some individuals hear those kinds of
differences when comparing after doing global level matches with an
SPL meter. The global balancing with an SPL meter does not deal with
channel imbalances, and it does not match globally all that well,
either.

On the other hand to Nousaine there are NO differences. In that he
agrees with the majority of the ABX panelists tested by one of the ABX
codevelopers Mr. Clark in the Â?'83 Stereo Review.

I am not sure what else you want. I mean, Nousaine, Clark, and the
people they worked with could not hear differences. For them, that is
all that matters. You may think that there were audible differences,
but for those people the differences were just not there. Perhaps they
have sub-par hearing by your standards, but that does not matter - for
them. What matters is that they were satisfied that there were no
audible differences.

Do I claim my personal results as "evidence"? Of course not.

Really? From what I have read, I think you most definitely consider
your personal results as "evidence." Indeed, if that is the case and
you really did precisely level match and do the comparing DBT style,
then you have satisfied your requirements, just as Nousaine, Clark,
and their subjects satisfied theirs. If you did not do your comparing
with precise level matching and you did not do them blind, then I
think that Nousaine, Clark, Krueger, etc. have an evidential leg up on
you.

I'm
acquainted with the introductory textbook chapters on how to conduct
the scientifically valid, reportable testing. I do not report personal
opinions as anything else but opinions.

I have no problem with opinions. However, if someone is planning on
spending several grand on an amp and intends to do so on the word of a
hi-fi sales clerk or based upon the opinions of a high-end magazine
writer, or based upon your opinions here, I think they need to realize
that they may be spending more than they need to. Sure, they may get a
psychological kick out of having a super-duper amp on hand (just like
some people enjoy having a 350 horsepower car to commute through city
traffic), but the fact is that they could have gotten equal,
real-world performance for a lot less money.

Now, for some people the aura that surrounds a super amp (or any other
"super" product, such as super wires or a super car or a super
refrigerator) is often an end in itself. The ownership of such devices
makes one feel good (hell, even I feel good about my hardware), and
getting involved in an analysis of just what the product can actually
do in relation to cheaper versions can possibly undermine the
enjoyment of owning such a product. I suppose if someone has the spare
cash to easily afford a "super" product this is OK, although if some
clerk or product reviewer talks someone into spending critical money
on an overkill product that is not a good thing. At least I do not
consider it a good thing.

Anyway, for me, the squeaky wheel should get the grease, and rather
than spend big on an overkill amp, I would rather spend big on super
speakers, or a subwoofer, or a killer surround processor, or an HDTV
monitor, or extra recordings.

But I guess that 99,5% of the earth's population would not hear any
differences either under ABX and a few of them writing for RAHE would
be quite vehement about THEIR experiences as a PROOF that the 0,5% of
us are fraudulent or deluded.

Not necessarily. However, for that .5% to be taken seriously by guys
like me (and no doubt Misters Nousaine, Clark, and Krueger) they would
have to do some valid DBT work themselves. It is nice for that .5% to
think that they have some kind of superior hearing acuity (for some,
this may be as psychologically important as owning a "super" amp), but
for them to be taken seriously by the remaining 99.5%, some valid DBT
work would be a good idea. Heck, I should think that members of the
..5% group would be more interested in actually proving that they could
hear differences than the rest of us.

And their steadfastly negative "test"
would stand for "evidence".

It is for them. The question for me is: will that .5% group go forth
and prove to the rest of the world and to themselves that their golden
ears are truly golden? You probably believe that they do not need to,
and of course that is correct. However, do not expect me to take their
opinions about amp sound, or wire sound, or even speaker sound,
seriously.

All it proves for certain is that this individual failed while using
that particular type of question and answer "test". Others may or may
not.

Right. And if those "others" want to validate their beliefs regarding
amp sound and their golden-eared abilities they can go do some DBT
work themselves. If they do not, they may happily enjoy the expensive
products they purchase and consider themselves blessed with superior
hearing - but skeptics like me will continue to roll our eyes.

That it proves nothing else escapes the attention of some of
the self- appointed RAHE scientists.who think that a collection of a
anecdotes stands for evidence.

Actually, those who do casual listening (casual for me means without
careful level matching at the very least, with quick switching and the
DBT protocol called into play if differences are heard with the
initial comparisons) are playing with much more anecdotal evidence
than anybody who carefully level matches and goes on to do the
comparing DBT style. By your standards, the DBT work done by Nousaine,
Clark, Krueger, and even me is anecdotal in nature, simply because the
results have not been published in peer-reviewed journals and those
results do not agree with what you believe. On the other hand, your
"evidence" basically involves comparisons that are unrigorous in the
extreme. For me, amp comparisons are not a popularity contest.

At least I can claim that my brain behaves like those of the great
majority of the component comparison panelists. They too could not
hear things when ABXing that they'd have no difficulty hearing
normally without ABX earmuffs,

Why you think that doing a test blind causes hearing problems is
beyond me. That anybody would think that a sighted comparison, without
precise level matching is comparable in terms of rigor to even a quick
level-matched ABX series simply makes no sense to me. The DBT protocol
eliminates sight bias. Just what kind of "bias" do those sighted,
non-level-matched comparisons eliminate?

like for instance 1,75db volume
difference between a thick and a thin cable.

You keep talking about this 1.75 dB volume difference. I have compared
a lot of cables, and I never encountered this kind of contrast. The
cables being compared would have to have radically different lengths
and cross sections to generate level differences of that magnitude.
Yeah, I know you read about it in an article about ABX comparisons,
but why not do some comparing yourself to see if wires behave that
way.

Howard Ferstler

Audio Guy

(ludovic mirabel) writes:

[...]

Seems you have to make up tests to prove your point. Let's get real,
OK?

Now let's get down to our cooncerns from on high. No differences
found by PANELS ABXing cables, preamps, amps, cdplayers, dacs.
Distortion not heard till greater than 2%. Volume difference of 1,75db
not heard.

Here you go misinterpreting statistics again. What discipline were you
trained in again? Mine was in electronics including Random Signal
Analysis which is chock full of statistics.

Two possibilities as befo 1) There are no differences between
anything and anything "competently designed" in audio or 2) Yes, you
guessed it.

Here you go again. The results just say no differences have yet to be
proven. Please refrain from hyperbole, it spoils all of your efforts.

Actually this kind of thing is on page1 of introduction to
experimental science.
The point? A "test" which produces negatives only when used by the
majority of the target population, that it is supposed to serve, is
useless for the purpose.

Which science textbook have you been reading? A test that cannot
disprove gravity is useless?

Even if a few here and there manage
performances out of ordinary.
Further, accepting the Audio Guy postulate means that Hafler,
Strickland, Manley, Meidtner, Paravicini are either deluded or
fraudulent.

Works for me, I've thought that of them for quite a while.

And so are the critics like Atkinson (an electronics eng.
I believe), J.G. Holt etc.

Yep, them too.

And so are all those who believe that
audio. high-end has a meaning and a purpose.

Not so, there is a lot of room for discussing the differences in
speakers and in sources such as CD vs. LP vs. SACD, etc. There are
also amps which are purposed designed to affect the sound such as
SETs.

And it means that the
only clear thinkers, their ears and brains wonderfully vindicated,
are those who hear no differences ever. In truth they have some 99,5%
of the earth population on their side so they must be right.

No it means that these 0.5% elites are likely mistaken and should take
a few DBTs to find out how elite they are.

ludovic mirabel

(Audio Guy) wrote in message news:4P7_a.88530$cF.27962@rwcrnsc53...
(ludovic mirabel) writes:

[...]

Mr. A. Guy I'm not I'm making up tests". An astrophysicist called
Sagan ( amongst others)wrote a book about experimental search for
extraterrestrial intelligence. I'm sorry it didn't come to your
attention as yet
Since you appeared to have difficulty grasping that a "test" resulting
solely in negatives whenever tried by its target population is a bad
joke I felt that an analogy (analogy- similarity-resemblance etc)might
help. I'm sorry I failed.
Perhaps this will help: D.J. Carlstrom, ABX switch manufacturer in the
"official" ABX website (
www.oakland.edu-djcarlst/abx_bino.htm) writes:
"Note that no matter what score is achieved, A=B cannot be proven.
That is the ABX Double Blind Comparator can *never* (his italics,
L.M.) be use to prove the two audio components sound the same....etc"
In other words negative ABX audiophile panel tests prove nothing and
positive ones do not exist.
This leaves the possibility that the "test" does not test. Hope you
can see that?
As for the rest of your message it speaks for itself. Loud and clear
Ludovic Mirabel

[...]

S888Wheel

Audio Guy said

Could it be that in every test performed so far that there really
weren't any differences? No, that couldn't possibly be true, now
could it? And it would make all of Elmir's posts just pointless in
the end. Naw, it couldn't possibly be true.

I said

Well, I guess it depends on who you ask. Tom Nousaine has said numerous

times
he has never seen any relaible, varifiable tests that have suggested audible
differences when comparing "competently" designed and built amps. OTOH
Stewert
Pinkerton has reported some positive results in some of his tests between
what
I suspect would be considered by most if not all to be competently designed
and
built amps.

Tom said

Stewart has 'reported' such but hasn't included enough documentation for
replication. So..... its an anecdote.

I got the impression from Stewert that his reports were more than anecdotal. I
haven't seen the specific posts. Maybe Stewert can offer what you ask.

Tom said

Give me a replicated controlled test.

Is this a mistake in words or a new requirement? You meant replicable didn't
you?
Stewart Pinkerton

On 13 Aug 2003 04:01:50 GMT, (Nousaine) wrote:

(S888Wheel) wrote:

Tom Nousaine has said numerous times
he has never seen any relaible, varifiable tests that have suggested audible
differences when comparing "competently" designed and built amps. OTOH Stewart
Pinkerton has reported some positive results in some of his tests between what
I suspect would be considered by most if not all to be competently designed and
built amps.

Stewart has 'reported' such but hasn't included enough documentation for
replication. So..... its an anecdote.

I did in early reports (back in the days of 'The Sunshine Trials')
give full details of both the room and all the equipment used, also
the test methodology and number of trials. The 'reference' room and
equipment details are still on
www.apah69.dsl.pipex.com/ for anyone
who wants to replicate my tests.

I know that we differ on the expected outcome, but I can only report
my own findings.

Give me a replicated controlled test.

Every time! :-)

BTW, my bad on the home-build speaker comparisons, I misremembered the
Celestion connection as being the sponsoring company, not just the
'reference' speaker.

S888Wheel

Stewert said

As has been noted before, you can't get published in a peer-reviewed
technical magazine for pointing out the bleedin' obvious!

AESJ certainly has published at least one article that only argued the
superiority of DBTs over sighted tests. Isn't that in the catagory of "bleedin'
obvious!"??? There is no reason to my knowledge that the AESJ would not publish
reports of tests were anyone to try to do so. Can you think of any such reports
that were rejected by the AESJ on the grounds of excessive obviousness?

Arny Krueger

"S888Wheel" wrote in message
Stewert said

As has been noted before, you can't get published in a peer-reviewed
technical magazine for pointing out the bleedin' obvious!

AESJ certainly has published at least one article that only argued the
superiority of DBTs over sighted tests. Isn't that in the category of
"bleedin' obvious!"??? There is no reason to my knowledge that the
AESJ would not publish reports of tests were anyone to try to do so.
Can you think of any such reports that were rejected by the AESJ on
the grounds of excessive obviousness?

AFAIK, the activities of the AES Journal Review board are not public.

Therefore nobody knows for sure other than the board members and they don't
talk about this a whole lot.

S888Wheel

Stewert said

As has been noted before, you can't get published in a peer-reviewed
technical magazine for pointing out the bleedin' obvious!

I said

AESJ certainly has published at least one article that only argued the
superiority of DBTs over sighted tests. Isn't that in the category of
"bleedin' obvious!"??? There is no reason to my knowledge that the
AESJ would not publish reports of tests were anyone to try to do so.
Can you think of any such
Can you think of any such reports that were rejected by the AESJ on
the grounds of excessive obviousness?

Arny said

AFAIK, the activities of the AES Journal Review board are not public.

Therefore nobody knows for sure other than the board members and they don't
talk about this a whole lot.

It is known for sure by certain people. If anyone has any claims that they have
submitted reports of such tests to the AESJ that were rejected for publication
on the grounds that it was simply too obvious for publication, then any such
person is invited to speak up. Till some one does it is nothing more than wild
speculation to claim that any such thing has happened.
Nousaine

(ludovic mirabel) wrote:

...snips....

[...]

Isn't that funny. No one can ever "prove a negative". So what? We should then
ignore the fact that NO ONE has ever produced a single experiment that confirms
"amplifier" or "wire" sound with even modest bias controls implemented.

NO One' Ever!!!!

And you want people to think that somehow every published experiment (even
those that seemed to stack the deck) is wrong and YOU are right?

Deliver some evidence to support your argument and then we can talk' actually
IF you deliver the evidence than we won't 'talk' I'll admit you were right.

Do it!!!!! Now !!!!!

S888Wheel

Tom said

Give me a replicated controlled test.

I said

Is this a mistake in words or a new requirement? You meant replicable didn't
you?

Tom said

Good one. But either works

There is a big difference. Many long term medical studies have not been
replicated but they are considered good scientific evidence becasue among other
things they are replicable. A lot of good evidence is not replicated and is
still good evidence.
Stewart Pinkerton

On 14 Aug 2003 02:06:30 GMT, (Nousaine) wrote:

(Stewart Pinkerton) wrote:

On 13 Aug 2003 04:01:50 GMT,
(Nousaine) wrote:

Stewart has 'reported' such but hasn't included enough documentation for
replication. So..... its an anecdote.

I did in early reports (back in the days of 'The Sunshine Trials')
give full details of both the room and all the equipment used, also
the test methodology and number of trials.

So why not do that again?

Because Google exists, and because this was simply done as part of a
buying decision, not specifically as a 'scientific' experiment. Hence,
I do know which models had statistically significant audible
differences (taken as 15 correct out of 20 level-matched
time-proximate trials), but I did not document the raw scores.

Level-matching was done via a 4-channel attenuator, and time-proximate
switching via a relay-controlled ABX switchbox of my own design (long
before I had heard of Arny/Clark's device).

The 'reference' room and
equipment details are still on
www.apah69.dsl.pipex.com/ for anyone
who wants to replicate my tests.

Can't do that from a description of your system. Because you haven't given us
a way to examine the experiment it remains an anecdote. And there's nothing
wrong with that but people like Mr Wheel keep bringing your tests as
verification of something or other.

Perhaps because my test is better than some, but not as good as
others. Such is life.

Maybe Ludovic will accept it as "proof."

Ludovic accepts nothing which does not fit his prejudices.

I know that we differ on the expected outcome, but I can only report
my own findings.

We differ on nothing. Your experiment has not been documented nor replicated.
Nothing wrong with that but it's just an anecdote.

So replicate it............

Give me a replicated controlled test.

Every time! :-)

Sure But there were 23 other published experiments by 1990 that suggest your
stated results may have been contaminated or wrong.

Anything is possible. Certainly, my insensitive 3-ohm large planar
speakers might reveal differences not apparent (or indeed existent) on
more conventional speakers. Note this does not make my results
'wrong', just inapplicable to a 90dB/w/m 8-ohm speaker.

Again there's nothing inherently bad about anecdotal evidence. It just needs to
be replicated.

So replicate it............

ludovic mirabel

(Nousaine) wrote in message ...
(ludovic mirabel) wrote:

..snips....

In other words negative ABX audiophile panel tests prove nothing and
positive ones do not exist.
This leaves the possibility that the "test" does not test. Hope you
can see that?

Mr. Nousaine comments.
Isn't that funny. No one can ever "prove a negative". So what? We should then
ignore the fact that NO ONE has ever produced a single experiment that confirms
"amplifier" or "wire" sound with even modest bias controls implemented.
NO One' Ever!!!!

According to your ABX coworker L. Greenhill (Stereo Review August
1982) one of
his subjects did that very thing. So much for "NO one! Ever!!!!!" It
is your privilege to disagree with Greenhill- you two ABXers fight it
out.

And you want people to think that somehow every published experiment (even
those that seemed to stack the deck) is wrong and YOU are right?
Deliver some evidence to support your argument and then we can talk' actually
IF you deliver the evidence than we won't 'talk' I'll admit you were right.
Do it!!!!! Now !!!!!

I do not like sheltering behind verbal quibbles ( a la e.g. Mr
Krueger in his posts above) but it depends on what you mean by "modest
bias controls"".
Example: if I tell you that some (not all-by definition) can
distinguish, blinded, a silver cable (say Kimber's) from zipcord using
full-range musical signal in a left-right protocol with random changes
of the cables from side to side you'll probably tell me that this is
not enough of bias control. Flawed or not, some (not all- by
definition) do work it.. I have, my wife had, 3 of my friends did.
Talking about flaws: there are DBTs and DBTs.
Drug research DBTs have a validation reference point: patients recover
or they don't, the Xray and lab changes return to normal or don't. AND
note there there is no possible way in which the METHOD, THE DBT
itself could influence the outcomes.
The DBTs in psychometric research work with a known introduced
artefact: eg. distortion as a validation reference point. You either
guess correctly or you don't.
The component comparison DBTs. have no verifiable end-point. They are
100% subjective. Anybody's guess is as good as anyone elses. AND no
evidence exists that the method itself does not interfere with
guessing- but a lot does go to reasonably suspect that it does.
Talking about flawed methods: I quoted repeatedly evidence culled from
the very ABX sources ( proctors of listening tests, Sean Olive in his
H-K
"listening room tests and others) that individuals' performances vary
wildly when ABXing. So that the final otcomes are decided by a
referundum with a majority vote, ignoring (ridiculously!) the few
outstanding performers. A comment from you would be of interest.
Yes it is all about audible sounds. From the train whistles through
codecs to the late quartets of Beethoven. A minor detail: it depends
who is listening.
So far neither I nor you have a method to measure that.
I realise that some people find the uncertainty very upsetting. They
feel that there ought to be a law about it or at least a formula in
their college textbook
Ludovic Mirabel

ludovic mirabel

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message

Snip:
It's not. At the AES the issue in question was settled years if not
decades ago in favor of DBTs.

Yes, in favour of RESEARCH DBts. Not component comparison DBTs. Apples
and oranges Mr. Krueger. Not to be repetitive see my today's reply to
Mr Nousaine.

Furthermore, AES publications are scientific, not commercial.
Therefore references to commercial products, if relevant, are
deleted or concealed.
Publication in consumer magazines would not really do much to
support the merits of any tests IMO.
In the engineering/scientific community, the DBT issue has been
settled for years, if not decades in favor of DBTs.

Snip my text:

It's no secret that Ed Dell was trashing big piles of contributions to The
Audio Amateur from SMWTMS members back in the day when we had illusions that
he had an open mind.

What component comparison text did you submit to him and had it
rejected?

Ditto for a cable audibility article that was submitted
to Audio magazine in a similar timeframe.

Now this is an interesting one. You mentioned it a couple of years ago
("ABX- is it useful?" thread) as evidence that ABX is capable of
discovering positives AND between comparable interconnects at that..
Do you still believe it? Or did you repent your heresy and I lost an
invaluable testimony that these differences can be heard, even when
ABXing, by gifted and experienced people like yourself?

But all the other published listening tests ( and all of them had
more representative panels than Krueger, Clark, Greenhill) resulted
in loud ZILCH, negative, "they all sound the same" verdict by thumping
majorities.

Actually, Clark had nothing at all to do with the
Krueger/Greenhill/Carlstrom tests that were published in HFN.

Good point. I confused the members of the quartet quoting from memory.
I didn't reckon with a stickler for exactitude like you.

In addition if I understand your latest messages correctly you to no
longer believe that there are differences between electrically
comparable amplifiers.

I don't know what "electrically comparable" means. Does it mean that both
amplifiers plug into 120 VAC receptacles and work?

Better point still. Very, very clear answer. Perhaps you wouldn't mind
defining what kind of amplifiers are suitable for meaningful
comparison in your own words.
ABX tells you something different these days
from what it did 20 years ago?

20 years ago we heard differences between some equipment that we compared,
and we still do.

Better and better. Which amplifiers did you compare then and which
modern amplifiers would sound different nowadays? Come to grips with
it . Surely you're not scared of Nousaine.
No experimental work exists to disprove that the ABX method itself is
not a problem for many of us.

It's no secret that doing ABX tests takes some technical skill and some
willingness to put forth a serious effort while listening. I've reduced
these factors to a bare minimum with PCABX but that still doesn't help some
people.

If it were not why would you be offering
training those who are not good at it.

Is this a thesis that anything that requires training and practice is a bad
thing? So much for most sports and most craft hobbies!

Mr. Krueger, Mr. Krueger! we're not talking about hobbies or sports.
We're talking about a TEST reproducible and repeatable by its target
subjects: average audio consumers interested in the reproduction of
MUSIC by the components they buy.
When do they pass?. What exam? How many are unteachable?

Mostly the ones who are looking for vindication of their current beliefs at
any cost.

When does a pupil know that he is now hearing all he should be hearing?

Please see the PCABX "Training Room" web page.

What kind of a repeatable test it is that has so many qualifications.

So much for most sports and most craft hobbies...

We're back to "sports and hobbies. You can't be serious".

Music is not "sounds"

News to me.

Just for you I'll rephrase it: "Music is not just sounds". Like it
better?

-it is a highly structured product of selected, gifted brainpower.

Agreed.

And it is not just "heard"- it is processed by other brains.

Agreed.

All far beyond the JAES reach and intent.

Easy to say, hard to prove. Be my guest. But proof by assertion and denial
of clear evidence convinces nobody.

Till JAES engage in it, which you say they cannot do, the onus of
proof that your component comparison tests without any end-reference
point, ( and with unselected, untrained panel) are equivalent to their
tests- , ALWAYS with a validation reference point,- is of course on
you. I'm not holding my breath.
Ludovic Mirabel

Nousaine

(ludovic mirabel) responds with a smoke screen reply

(Nousaine) wrote in message
(ludovic mirabel) wrote:

..snips....

In other words negative ABX audiophile panel tests prove nothing and
positive ones do not exist.
This leaves the possibility that the "test" does not test. Hope you
can see that?

Mr. Nousaine comments.
Isn't that funny. No one can ever "prove a negative". So what? We should

then
ignore the fact that NO ONE has ever produced a single experiment that

confirms
"amplifier" or "wire" sound with even modest bias controls implemented.
NO One' Ever!!!!

According to your ABX coworker L. Greenhill (Stereo Review August
1982) one of
his subjects did that very thing.

No; sorry that wasn't the case, now was it?

So much for "NO one! Ever!!!!!" It
is your privilege to disagree with Greenhill- you two ABXers fight it
out.

And you want people to think that somehow every published experiment (even
those that seemed to stack the deck) is wrong and YOU are right?
Deliver some evidence to support your argument and then we can talk'

actually
IF you deliver the evidence than we won't 'talk' I'll admit you were right.

Do it!!!!! Now !!!!!

I do not like sheltering behind verbal quibbles ( a la e.g. Mr
Krueger in his posts above) but it depends on what you mean by "modest
bias controls"".

Hogwash Ludovic. IF you were right you or someone of your ilk would just
produce the experiment that shows this to be true.

You aren't right and that's why YOU or any other company or individual hasn't
delivered that experiment.

Example: if I tell you that some (not all-by definition) can
distinguish, blinded, a silver cable (say Kimber's) from zipcord using
full-range musical signal in a left-right protocol with random changes
of the cables from side to side you'll probably tell me that this is
not enough of bias control. Flawed or not, some (not all- by
definition) do work it.. I have, my wife had, 3 of my friends did.

OK publish the results and the details. Send me the cables and I'll be more
than happy to replicate your results.

Talking about flaws: there are DBTs and DBTs.
Drug research DBTs have a validation reference point: patients recover
or they don't, the Xray and lab changes return to normal or don't. AND
note there there is no possible way in which the METHOD, THE DBT
itself could influence the outcomes.
The DBTs in psychometric research work with a known introduced
artefact: eg. distortion as a validation reference point. You either
guess correctly or you don't.
The component comparison DBTs. have no verifiable end-point. They are
100% subjective. Anybody's guess is as good as anyone elses.

Oh christ; you are already making MY point. With cables people ARE guessing
because there AREN'T true sonic differences. AND YES; your guess is as good as
mine

AND no
evidence exists that the method itself does not interfere with
guessing-

Actually it promotes "guessing" where subjects can't hear a real difference.
OTOH it PROMOTES intense listening and attention to sound alone.

but a lot does go to reasonably suspect that it does.
Talking about flawed methods: I quoted repeatedly evidence culled from
the very ABX sources ( proctors of listening tests, Sean Olive in his
H-K
"listening room tests and others) that individuals' performances vary
wildly when ABXing. So that the final otcomes are decided by a
referundum with a majority vote, ignoring (ridiculously!) the few
outstanding performers. A comment from you would be of interest.

I've examined every test I've ever conducted in excruciating detail to find
'subtle artifacts' that may only be audible to special listeners. So far I've
found No Golden Ears. How about you? What do your experiments tell us?

Yes it is all about audible sounds. From the train whistles through
codecs to the late quartets of Beethoven. A minor detail: it depends
who is listening.
So far neither I nor you have a method to measure that.
I realise that some people find the uncertainty very upsetting. They
feel that there ought to be a law about it or at least a formula in
their college textbook
Ludovic Mirabel

Actually you are reinterating ad infinitum the same questions that the
developers of the ABX protocol considered when developing the technique.

If you have some new evidence to contribute please put it on the table. Your
unending criticism of techniques that have been shown to be sonically valid
and reliable is simply a form of sour grapes because you don't like existing
evidence.

Nousaine

(Stewart Pinkerton) wrote:

On 14 Aug 2003 02:06:30 GMT,
(Nousaine) wrote:

(Stewart Pinkerton) wrote:

On 13 Aug 2003 04:01:50 GMT,
(Nousaine) wrote:

[...]

As I said it's pretty hard to do without details. Are you willing to supply an
amplifier for verification?

Give me a replicated controlled test.

Every time! :-)

Sure But there were 23 other published experiments by 1990 that suggest

your
stated results may have been contaminated or wrong.

Anything is possible. Certainly, my insensitive 3-ohm large planar
speakers might reveal differences not apparent (or indeed existent) on
more conventional speakers. Note this does not make my results
'wrong', just inapplicable to a 90dB/w/m 8-ohm speaker.

OK so are you qualifying your results? Or do my low impedance speakers not
count? No matter either way; I'm just looking for quanitiable, verifiable
results.

Yours do not meet that criteria because they haven't been documented nor
replicated. I'm all for it;

But I can't replicate an 'unknown' experiment.

Again there's nothing inherently bad about anecdotal evidence. It just needs

be replicated.

So replicate it............

As above; tell me how

S888Wheel

Tom said

Please. I accept any and all "evidence." Stewart's experiments have not

been
documented nor have they been replicated. The latter isn't his
responsibility.
The former is.

I said

The tests in the reports you sent me haven't been replicated either. Doesn't
matter. What matters is if the are replicable. Stewert says he has

documented
his tests. I see no reason to think he is lying.

Tom said

Oh for Christsakes' as of 1990 there had been been 2 dozen documented and
published bias controlled listening tests of power amplifiers that basicallt
showed that any device with flat response that wasn't hampered by operating
fault or high output impedance
were sonically transparent....so why do we need
any more evidence on this matter???????

And this emotional outburst has what to do with my post? How many of those
tests were "replicated?" If that is the new criteria you are pushing for tests
to be valid then it seems you may have very little evidence on the issue at
all. that would be cause alone for more testing I would think. If you don't
want to test any more then don't.

Nousaine

(S888Wheel) wrote:

Tom said

Please. I accept any and all "evidence." Stewart's experiments have not

been
documented nor have they been replicated. The latter isn't his
responsibility.
The former is.

I said

The tests in the reports you sent me haven't been replicated either.

Actualy they were all replications of each other. My point isn't that every
amplifier used in every test hasn't been replicated but that many tests had
been published but none of those had results that matched those claimed by
Stewart.

That's OK; but until his results become documented and are replicated they
remain anecdotal.

[...]

What is so interesting is that you appear to be willing to accept anything that
appears to support your position without scrutiny.

You don't happen to be in the market for a bridge?