SPS22

Default What Software for Editing Sound on PC

After the take over of CoolEdit, what is a well-recommended software
tool for editing sound on a PC? I have been using Audacity, and
Goldwave. Goldwave has many more features than Audacity, although I
find it easier to use than Goldwave. What do people think of these
programs? Any other program that is recommended around here?

Thanks.
-Surinder
Martin

"SPS22" wrote in message
m...
After the take over of CoolEdit, what is a well-recommended software
tool for editing sound on a PC? I have been using Audacity, and
Goldwave. Goldwave has many more features than Audacity, although I
find it easier to use than Goldwave. What do people think of these
programs? Any other program that is recommended around here?

Thanks.
-Surinder

Cool Edit now Adobe Audition is still one of the finer tools for the PC
environment. Good price and good value.

Use what meets your needs, Cool Edit meets mine.

--
Remember:
Religion kills. Think before you believe.

Arny Krueger

"SPS22" wrote in message

After the take over of CoolEdit, what is a well-recommended software
tool for editing sound on a PC?

CoolEdit is now known as Adobe Audacity. By all accounts, the Adobe
take-over of CoolEdit did not hurt it appreciably.

I have been using Audacity, and Goldwave. Goldwave has many more features

than Audacity, although I
find it easier to use than Goldwave. What do people think of these
programs?

Audacity and Goldwave are relatively simplistic programs compared to
Audacity. They work, and are fine tools for what they do, but there's a
world of things that they don't do. If you don't need the power of Audacity,
then these simpler tools are just fine.

Arny Krueger

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message

"SPS22" wrote in message

After the take over of CoolEdit, what is a well-recommended software
tool for editing sound on a PC?

correction:

CoolEdit is now known as Adobe Audition. By all accounts, the Adobe
take-over of CoolEdit did not hurt it appreciably.

I have been using Audacity, and Goldwave. Goldwave has many more
features than Audacity, although I find it easier to use than
Goldwave. What do people think of these programs?

Audacity and Goldwave are relatively simplistic programs compared to
Audition. They work well for the limited number of things they do, and are
fine tools for what they do, but there's
a world of things that they don't do. If you don't need the power of
Audition, then these simpler tools are just fine.

Richard Crowley

"Arny Krueger" wrote ...
correction:

CoolEdit is now known as Adobe Audition. By all accounts,
the Adobe take-over of CoolEdit did not hurt it appreciably.

Correction Correction:

CoolEdit *PRO* is now known as adobe Audition. As a user
of both, I agree that, CE*P* did not suffer from the transition.

HOWEVER, CoolEdit2000 (the low-cost 2-track version)
suffered the ultimate fate (eternal death) at the hands
of Adobe. For those that don't need 128 channels,
CE2K was the best value/money out there. Now dearly
departed thanks to Adobe (who only believe in high-
end wares.)

Arny Krueger

"Richard Crowley" wrote in message

"Arny Krueger" wrote ...
correction:

CoolEdit is now known as Adobe Audition. By all accounts,
the Adobe take-over of CoolEdit did not hurt it appreciably.

Correction Correction:

CoolEdit *PRO* is now known as adobe Audition. As a user
of both, I agree that, CE*P* did not suffer from the transition.

Correction correction correction.

Adobe still hasn't brought back the CEP 2 CD burning feature. While this is
not an appreciable loss, it could cause a little suffering for those such as
myself who used it. It's very convenient for burning DAO CDs of live
performances with multiple tracks marked out for easy access. I just keep
running CEP2.

There are other ways to accomplish the same outcome, but none as integrated
and easy-to-use. Over on the Audition forums, Adobe is still taking heat for
their foot-dragging on the CD burning front.

HOWEVER, CoolEdit2000 (the low-cost 2-track version)
suffered the ultimate fate (eternal death) at the hands
of Adobe.

CE2K was a bit of an anomaly, a deal that was apparently too good to last.

For those that don't need 128 channels,
CE2K was the best value/money out there.

Didn't CE2K run out of gas just past 4 channels, even with the so-called
multitrack add-in? I'm pretty happy with 12 tracks for recording live
performances, but I'm thinking about 16.

Well, there are still the various simple stereo editors, and there is still
N-Track.

Now dearly departed thanks to Adobe (who only believe in high-
end wares.)

I suspect that support costs for CE2K and its extremely powerful editing
functionality were out-of-line for its sales price.

SPS22

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message ...
CoolEdit is now known as Adobe Audition. By all accounts, the Adobe
take-over of CoolEdit did not hurt it appreciably.

Except the price: now it is $300; it used be like $50, if I am not mistaken.

-s
SPS22

"Martin" wrote in message ...
Cool Edit now Adobe Audition is still one of the finer tools for the PC
environment. Good price and good value.

Use what meets your needs, Cool Edit meets mine.

Any example of what can be done in CoolEdit, that is not doable in
Goldwave or Audacity?

-s
Arny Krueger

"SPS22" wrote in message
om
"Martin" wrote in message
Cool Edit now Adobe Audition is still one of the finer tools for the
PC environment. Good price and good value.

Use what meets your needs, Cool Edit meets mine.

Any example of what can be done in CoolEdit, that is not doable in
Goldwave or Audacity?

I'm not a Goldwave or Audacity expert, but how about you tell me how to do
something with either or both that is easy and obvious in CE?

My first need is to generate or record a 24 bit 1 KHz sine wave.

Then, I want to make a properly-dithered 16 bit version of it.

Arny Krueger

"SPS22" wrote in message
om
"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
CoolEdit is now known as Adobe Audition. By all accounts, the Adobe
take-over of CoolEdit did not hurt it appreciably.

Except the price: now it is $300; it used be like $50, if I am not
mistaken.

Audigy is not CE96 or CE2000, it's CE Pro. CE Pro always was around $300,
right?

Richard Crowley

"Arny Krueger" wrote...
CoolEdit is now known as Adobe Audition. By all accounts,
the Adobe take-over of CoolEdit did not hurt it appreciably.

"SPS22" wrote ...
Except the price: now it is $300; it used be like $50,
if I am not mistaken.

"Arny Krueger" wrote ...
Audigy is not CE96 or CE2000, it's CE Pro.
CE Pro always was around $300, right?

Right.

"Cool Edit" is an undefined entity.

Cool Edit Pro (CEP) is what is now Adobe Audition.
Cool Edit 2000 (CE2K) was disappeared by Adobe.
Previous versions of CE2K included CE96, etc.

Len Moskowitz

SPS22 wrote:

Any example of what can be done in CoolEdit, that is not doable in
Goldwave or Audacity?

Last I checked, you couldn't do single-sample editing easily in
Audacity, nor could you open up the vertical scale and then scroll it.

Tel: 201-801-0812, FAX: 201-801-0912
Len Moskowitz

SPS22 wrote:

Except the price: now it is $300; it used be like $50, if I am not

mistaken.

Academic versions are available for considerably less.

Tel: 201-801-0812, FAX: 201-801-0912
Geoff Wood

SPS22 wrote:
After the take over of CoolEdit, what is a well-recommended software
tool for editing sound on a PC? I have been using Audacity, and
Goldwave. Goldwave has many more features than Audacity, although I
find it easier to use than Goldwave. What do people think of these
programs? Any other program that is recommended around here?

Considering Audacity *is* CoollEdit, why do you feel a need to change ? If
you feel Goldwave has more features, I suspect there may be a bunch of menus
that you have not found on CE/A .

If you feel you need to change, there's alway SoundForge and Wavelab.

geoff

Geoff Wood

Geoff Wood wrote:
SPS22 wrote:
After the take over of CoolEdit, what is a well-recommended software
tool for editing sound on a PC? I have been using Audacity, and
Goldwave. Goldwave has many more features than Audacity, although I
find it easier to use than Goldwave. What do people think of these
programs? Any other program that is recommended around here?

Considering Audacity *is* CoollEdit, why do you feel a need to
change ? If you feel Goldwave has more features, I suspect there may
be a bunch of menus that you have not found on CE/A .

If you feel you need to change, there's alway SoundForge and Wavelab.

Ooops, Audacity/Audition/audio mix up alert. CoolEdit.is noew Audition.
Not wot I said.

geoff

cwvalle

"SPS22" wrote in message
m...
After the take over of CoolEdit, what is a well-recommended software
tool for editing sound on a PC? I have been using Audacity, and
Goldwave. Goldwave has many more features than Audacity, although I
find it easier to use than Goldwave. What do people think of these
programs? Any other program that is recommended around here?

Thanks.
-Surinder

You didn't ask, but I like Sound Forge
I especially appreciate the wave form synthesis and Spectrum Analyzer
It is 2 track however, not multi track

Geoff Wood

cwvalle wrote:
"SPS22" wrote in message
m...
After the take over of CoolEdit, what is a well-recommended software
tool for editing sound on a PC? I have been using Audacity, and
Goldwave. Goldwave has many more features than Audacity, although I
find it easier to use than Goldwave. What do people think of these
programs? Any other program that is recommended around here?

Thanks.
-Surinder

You didn't ask, but I like Sound Forge
I especially appreciate the wave form synthesis and Spectrum Analyzer
It is 2 track however, not multi track

I too like Sound Forge. Other's prefer Wavelab. He was specifically talking
about "editing sound", as opposed to multitrack recording and mixing.

geoff

Arny Krueger

"cwvalle" wrote in message
y.com

"SPS22" wrote in message
m...

After the take over of CoolEdit, what is a well-recommended software
tool for editing sound on a PC? I have been using Audacity, and
Goldwave. Goldwave has many more features than Audacity, although I
find it easier to use than Goldwave. What do people think of these
programs? Any other program that is recommended around here?

Thanks.
-Surinder

You didn't ask, but I like Sound Forge
I especially appreciate the wave form synthesis and Spectrum Analyzer

Here's a news flash Valle - CE/Audition also has wave form synthesis and a
spectrum analyzer. So they aren't valid reasons to prefer SF.

It is 2 track however, not multi track

CE/Audition is both 2 track and multi track.

Geoff Wood

Arny Krueger wrote:

Here's a news flash Valle - CE/Audition also has wave form synthesis
and a spectrum analyzer. So they aren't valid reasons to prefer SF.

One could easily prefer SF's versions, so it ain't a reason to prefer CE/A
either. We don't all have to fawn over the same application. I beleive that
possibly Wavelab has the edge on SF in functionality. But I prefer SF's
user interface and way of working.

geoff.

Powell

"SPS22" wrote

Any other program that is recommended around here?

Check out Sonic Foundry/Sony products:

Sound Forge Studio 6.0 - $70
http://mediasoftware.sonypictures.co...ct.asp?PID=718

CD Architech 5.0 - $240
http://mediasoftware.sonypictures.co...ct.asp?PID=780

Sound Forge 7.0 - $400 "The industry standard is still the industry
standard."
- Recording Magazine
http://mediasoftware.sonypictures.co...ct.asp?PID=668

Arny Krueger

"Geoff Wood" -nospam wrote in message

Arny Krueger wrote:

Here's a news flash Valle - CE/Audition also has wave form synthesis
and a spectrum analyzer. So they aren't valid reasons to prefer SF.

One could easily prefer SF's versions, so it ain't a reason to prefer

CE/A either.

Agreed. While both products have these features, significant details of
their implementations might vary. For example, in former discussions there
were some ease-of-use differences in the implementation of normalization
that favored WL for less-experienced users.

We don't all have to fawn over the same application.

Agreed.

However, it's not always all about fawning. It's also about having a job to
do and whether a product has the necessary features.

I sort of stumbled into CE some years ago, and just it kept meeting my
needs. CE was an early implementer of 24 & 32 bits, and still offers
unsurpassed support for far higher sample rates. I believe that SF 5, which
followed CEP by a year or more, was the first SF to support 24/96.

I have briefly used a lite verison of SF, but really didn't see enough of a
difference to justify switching.

There appears to have been a period of a year or more when CE supported far
more data formats and higher sample rates than SF. OTOH, SF has long
appeared to have an integrated CD burning feature that Adobe has not yet
made available in Audition, after a promising beta release from Syntrillium
in CE2.

I believe that possibly Wavelab has the edge on SF in functionality.

Wavelab appears to have be RAM-based while SF & CE/Audition are disk-based.
This gives WL a speed advantage for small files. Regrettably it appears that
WL is merely a stereo product, and you have to look elsewhere in the
Steinberg line for multitracking.

Looking at Steinberg's line of products, it seems that it would take Cubase
+ Nuendo + Wavelab to compare to Audition.

But I prefer SF's user interface and way of working.

During my brief experience with SF, I was struck by how similar the programs
were for the features that both implemented.

Powell

"Arny Krueger" wrote

But I prefer SF's user interface and way of working.

During my brief experience with SF, I was struck by
how similar the programs were for the features that
both implemented.

Which version of Sound Forge are you referring
to (empirical experience)?

Arny Krueger

"Powell" wrote in message

"Arny Krueger" wrote

But I prefer SF's user interface and way of working.

During my brief experience with SF, I was struck by
how similar the programs were for the features that
both implemented.

Which version of Sound Forge are you referring
to (empirical experience)?

Tell you what Powell, I'll answer this question when you show reasonable
progress on answering the questions that I asked you a few days ago about
your empirical experiences. Ironically, this list of questions that you
continue to slough is based on questions that you've recently demanded
answers of from others.

dave weil

On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 09:59:12 -0500, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:

Ironically, this list of questions that you continue to slough is based on questions

In English please. Either that, or provide a Krooglish translation...

Thank you for your cooperation.

Powell

"Arny Krueger" wrote

"Arny Krueger" wrote

During my brief experience with SF, I was struck by
how similar the programs were for the features that
both implemented.

Which version of Sound Forge are you referring
to (empirical experience)?

snip quacking

I’m always interested in learning something new,
Arny .

SPS22

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
Any example of what can be done in CoolEdit, that is not doable in
Goldwave or Audacity?

I'm not a Goldwave or Audacity expert, but how about you tell me how to do
something with either or both that is easy and obvious in CE?

Well, I am essentially trying to convert cassettes to CD's. So I think
I need the following:

- Record from source
- Small edits like
* removal of some portion of song
* removal of some portion of song but
not disturb the cycle of the rythm
(Audacity seems more helpful than Goldwave
for this)
- Good hiss removal (Audacity & Goldwave hiss removal
makes the music worse, not better, for me.)
- Normalize volume of many .wav files to one level

surinder
SPS22

"Geoff Wood" -nospam wrote in message ...

You didn't ask, but I like Sound Forge
I especially appreciate the wave form synthesis and Spectrum Analyzer
It is 2 track however, not multi track

I too like Sound Forge. Other's prefer Wavelab. He was specifically talking
about "editing sound", as opposed to multitrack recording and mixing.

Opinions would help: Would folks here rather buy SoundForge or Goldwave? (the
price of them are fairly similar, 70 & 40 respectively).

-surinder
Arny Krueger

"SPS22" wrote in message
"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
Any example of what can be done in CoolEdit, that is not doable in
Goldwave or Audacity?

I'm not a Goldwave or Audacity expert, but how about you tell me how
to do something with either or both that is easy and obvious in CE?

Well, I am essentially trying to convert cassettes to CD's. So I think
I need the following:

- Record from source
- Small edits like
* removal of some portion of song
* removal of some portion of song but
not disturb the cycle of the rhythm
(Audacity seems more helpful than Goldwave
for this)
- Good hiss removal (Audacity & Goldwave hiss removal
makes the music worse, not better, for me.)
- Normalize volume of many .wav files to one level

Other than the hiss removal, the two low end products you've mentioned seem
like they would do the job you need done. Those of us who use CoolEdit Pro -
Audition don't have much need for add-ins because these products have a
number of built-in hiss removal features.

Bear in mind that it is difficult or impossible to remove a great deal of
hiss without adversely affecting sound quality, no matter what hardware and
software is at your disposal.

Arny Krueger

"=(8888)=" wrote in message
news
"Arny Krueger" emitted :

[...]

Sound Forge is more commonly used (preferred) in professional audio
circles, but don't let that bother you.

Opinion stated as fact.

cwvalle

"SPS22" wrote in message
om...
"Geoff Wood" -nospam wrote in message

You didn't ask, but I like Sound Forge
I especially appreciate the wave form synthesis and Spectrum Analyzer
It is 2 track however, not multi track

I too like Sound Forge. Other's prefer Wavelab. He was specifically

talking
about "editing sound", as opposed to multitrack recording and mixing.

Opinions would help: Would folks here rather buy SoundForge or Goldwave?

(the
price of them are fairly similar, 70 & 40 respectively).

-surinder

last i looked sound forge was around 300 and another 200 if you want the
plugins
Carl

cwvalle

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
"cwvalle" wrote in message
y.com

"SPS22" wrote in message
m...

After the take over of CoolEdit, what is a well-recommended software
tool for editing sound on a PC? I have been using Audacity, and
Goldwave. Goldwave has many more features than Audacity, although I
find it easier to use than Goldwave. What do people think of these
programs? Any other program that is recommended around here?

Thanks.
-Surinder

You didn't ask, but I like Sound Forge
I especially appreciate the wave form synthesis and Spectrum Analyzer

Here's a news flash Valle - CE/Audition also has wave form synthesis and a
spectrum analyzer. So they aren't valid reasons to prefer SF.

It is 2 track however, not multi track

CE/Audition is both 2 track and multi track.

Hey asshole
I didn't say i prefer it
read my ****ing post
you **** ant
All i said was i like SF
you mother ****ing
**** in the face
**** for brain
**** nosed
idiot

cwvalle

"=(8888)=" wrote in message
"Arny Krueger" emitted :

[...]

False. It's an accurate observation.

Like I said though, don't let it bother you.

--
S i g n a l @ l i n e o n e . n e t

Sound Forge was recommended to me by several professionals whom i trust that
were volunteering at the same community radio station I was doing my jazz
show at. In fact, it was they who convinced me to record my little show on
the computer rather than open reel. That was a long time ago. I have
upgraded it ever since and own most of the plugins for it also. I like the
noise reduction thingy, I really think it's right up there with cedar and
used it to transcribe many old jazz records the sation gave me (that's how
they paid people for their 'volunteer' work.)
I am sure others have preferances, but I just thought I would mention mine.

Carl

cwvalle

"Powell" wrote in message

"SPS22" wrote

Any other program that is recommended around here?

Check out Sonic Foundry/Sony products:

Sound Forge Studio 6.0 - $70
http://mediasoftware.sonypictures.co...ct.asp?PID=718

CD Architech 5.0 - $240
http://mediasoftware.sonypictures.co...ct.asp?PID=780

Sound Forge 7.0 - $400 "The industry standard is still the industry
standard."
- Recording Magazine
http://mediasoftware.sonypictures.co...ct.asp?PID=668

You used to be able to upgrade from 6 to 7 for less than that but the last
time i bought any of their products, it wasn't yet owned by Sony. They still
have me on the mailing list though, and sometimes these softwares are
discounted, especially if you buy one a version behind.
Also - check ebay - sometimes people buy it and it's too much for what they
want

Carl

Arny Krueger

"cwvalle" wrote in message

Hey asshole
I didn't say i prefer it
read my ****ing post
you **** ant
All i said was i like SF
you mother ****ing
**** in the face
**** for brain
**** nosed
idiot

What a guy!

Sockpuppet Yustabe

"cwvalle" wrote in message
m...

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
"cwvalle" wrote in message
y.com

"SPS22" wrote in message
m...

[...]

We don't really know if he is **** nosed.
Otherwise, you are right on.

Geoff Wood

cwvalle wrote:

You used to be able to upgrade from 6 to 7 for less than that but the
last time i bought any of their products, it wasn't yet owned by
Sony. They still have me on the mailing list though, and sometimes
these softwares are discounted, especially if you buy one a version
behind.
Also - check ebay - sometimes people buy it and it's too much for
what they want

If you sign to to their mailing list, you usually get an offer for the next
major version for around US$99 - US$125.

geoff

Geoff Wood

Arny Krueger wrote:
"Geoff Wood" -nospam wrote in message

Wavelab appears to have be RAM-based while SF & CE/Audition are
disk-based.

No, since "6" SF has been non-destructive (ie RAM-based).

geoff

Geoff Wood

SPS22 wrote:

Well, I am essentially trying to convert cassettes to CD's.

Presumably your own. Otherwise why bother...

So I think
I need the following:

- Record from source
- Small edits like
* removal of some portion of song
* removal of some portion of song but
not disturb the cycle of the rythm

Quality of the above totally up to your skills. any app...

- Good hiss removal (Audacity & Goldwave hiss removal
makes the music worse, not better, for me.)

All hiss removal is detrimental to the music to a degree. Some may be worse
than others.

- Normalize volume of many .wav files to one level

Not a big ask of any software.

geoff