bob wald

Default kicker ks69

I know kicker makes 1 of the best speakers under $100. i'm thinking of
trying one.but will it sound as good as my 4yr old cerwin vega
6x9s,3way?

Chris Mullins

troll you should already know the answer, we're all stupid remember?

"bob wald" wrote in message
I know kicker makes 1 of the best speakers under $100. i'm thinking of
trying one.but will it sound as good as my 4yr old cerwin vega
6x9s,3way?

Kirby

"bob wald" wrote in message
I know kicker makes 1 of the best speakers under $100. i'm thinking of
trying one.but will it sound as good as my 4yr old cerwin vega
6x9s,3way?

Why don't you stick to your best speakers under $30?

Jethro

It really doesn't matter... unless you have a vehicle with door or dash
mounted 6x9's, they are just a waste of money. You would be better off
spending the money to improve the sound of your front stage rather than
the sound coming from behind you.

--
Jethro

old school SQ guy
Jethro's Profile: http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/me...p?userid=18662
View this thread: http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/sh...d.php?t=226333

bob wald

jethro...my front speakers are already a+....
also i dont believe the bs about yur rear speakers are a waste.it all
blends to make the overall sound of your car.
Since you usually put 35% more power to the rear speakers...
ALSO TO those of YOU..how could I know about HOW KICKER sounds if I
never heard ONE.SO I DONT know everything.

bob wald

also kicker ks69s are going for $75.usually $119.....

Jethro

"jethro...my front speakers are already a+....
also i dont believe the bs about yur rear speakers are a waste.it all
blends to make the overall sound of your car.
Since you usually put 35% more power to the rear speakers...
ALSO TO those of YOU..how could I know about HOW KICKER sounds if I
never heard ONE.SO I DONT know everything."

Why on earth would you put more power to your rear speakers than to you
put to your front? The goal is not to make a front/rear blended
sound... it is to create a realistic FRONT stage. When you go to a
concert, you sit with the musicians in FRONT of you, so the goal in a
car should be to have sound coming from in FRONT of you as well.

Having multiple speakers producing the same frequencies from different
locations inside a car will only degrade the sound. A nice set of
components (or a really nice set of coaxials) in the front doors or
kick panels is usually the best option, but you can also get some
success mounting midbasses in the doors and tweeters in the dash (if
you do it right). I personally prefer no rear fill at all... and many
other in the car audio world feel the same way (many award winning SQ
vehicles).

Go find a local Kicker dealer and listen to the KS69's in person...
that is really the best way to know if they sound good or not.

--
Jethro

old school SQ guy
Jethro's Profile: http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/me...p?userid=18662
View this thread: http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/sh...d.php?t=226357

MZ

Why on earth would you put more power to your rear speakers than to you
put to your front? The goal is not to make a front/rear blended
sound... it is to create a realistic FRONT stage.

Who says?

bob wald

different speakers even with the same frez will not sound alike..like
6x9s to 5 1/4s..so on.....
and different brands......
i've decided i must lower my advice.you dont even know the simplest
things.by this one here..lol is this guy 1 of your lil gangs
smartest?????

Jethro

MZ Wrote:
Why on earth would you put more power to your rear speakers than to

you
put to your front? The goal is not to make a front/rear blended
sound... it is to create a realistic FRONT stage.

Who says?

Logic. It just makes sense...

That should be the goal of any respectable sound system. Even a stock
sound system should be faded forward so that a majority of the sound is
coming from the front speakers. If you want more bass, buy a sub... but
don't throw an amp on full-range rear speakers.

--
Jethro

old school SQ guy
Jethro's Profile: http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/me...p?userid=18662
View this thread: http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/sh...d.php?t=226357

Brandonb

Jethro wrote:
Logic. It just makes sense...

That should be the goal of any respectable sound system. Even a stock
sound system should be faded forward so that a majority of the sound is
coming from the front speakers. If you want more bass, buy a sub... but
don't throw an amp on full-range rear speakers.

Or he could listen to his ears and his own likes and dislikes and make
it sound good to him. Everyone has different preferences when it comes
to sound. I myself prefer to make it seem like I'm being bombarded from
all sides. Some people like front only and hate any concept or rear
sound. Others like it just from the rear (kinky *******s). The whole
Front-stage and proper imaging thing is over-rated in my humble opinion.
I could care less if it sounds like a live band and it sounds like the
guitar is coming from 3 feet to the left of center stage or whatever. I
like what sounds good to me, and more power to you on yours.

Brandonb
bob wald

oh i see now...you fade forward.....now i see why you dont hear your
rear deck...so you think you dont need them.....
listen..you are going to hear your fronts first anyways..if you fade to
them.then why have rears? youre cutting your rears out....
listen 6x9s are awsome.....solid mid bass/bass and more power
handling.....
now i have jvc/c.v/pioneer 6x9s but i was thinking of trying higher
end.not saying those c.v aint high end but they over 5yrs old....

Jethro

"different speakers even with the same frez will not sound alike..like
6x9s to 5 1/4s..so on.....
and different brands......
i've decided i must lower my advice.you dont even know the simplest
things.by this one here..lol is this guy 1 of your lil gangs
smartest?????"

Bob, f you would speak English maybe I could tell what the heck you
just said there. I would offer a rebuttal to your comment, but it
really does not make ANY sense.

And I don't belong to any "little gang"... I am posting this through
www.caraudioforum.com ...maybe you should stop by and get a little
education.

--
Jethro

old school SQ guy
Jethro's Profile: http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/me...p?userid=18662
View this thread: http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/sh...d.php?t=226385

Jethro

Brandonb Wrote:
Jethro wrote:
[...]

If mediocre sound is the goal, then what is the point of discussing it
over the internet? People often like the 'surround sound' effect
because they've heard that's what sounds good from the likes of Bose.

I can't tell him if the Kicker 6x9's will sound good to his ears, just
like I can't convince him that the sound should come from in front of
him... so it really doesn't matter. But I will not change my advice
just because someone enjoys listening to their audio system in a way
that is technically wrong.

--
Jethro

old school SQ guy
Jethro's Profile: http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/me...p?userid=18662
View this thread: http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/sh...d.php?t=226357

MZ

Why on earth would you put more power to your rear speakers than to
you
put to your front? The goal is not to make a front/rear blended
sound... it is to create a realistic FRONT stage.

Who says?

Logic. It just makes sense...

That should be the goal of any respectable sound system. Even a stock
sound system should be faded forward so that a majority of the sound is
coming from the front speakers. If you want more bass, buy a sub... but
don't throw an amp on full-range rear speakers.

That's not what you said. You said "the goal is not to make a f/r blended
sound." Well, who says? A front stage is nice and all, but some music
doesn't take advantage of it as well as others. Sometimes the goal is to,
say, immerse yourself in an ocean of sound. Sometimes it's to provide the
biggest "punch". Sometimes it's to attempt to achieve the "flattest"
frequency response at high output levels. Different goals for different
folks.

While I agree with the notion that the front stage is more important than
the rears, which is due in part to imaging but also due to things like
frequency response irregularities, phase shifts and reflections, bass
response (proximity), and so forth. However, I wouldn't say completely
ignore the rears. If you can afford to, amplify the back speakers in
addition to the fronts. And yeah, try it with and without rears too.

Not that I'm disagreeing with the sentiment of what you posted, but I
think it's important to clarify exactly what the goals should be - make it
sound best to your ears. Whether that means a lot of power, a little
power, or no power to the rears depends on the listener.
MZ

If mediocre sound is the goal, then what is the point of discussing it
over the internet? People often like the 'surround sound' effect
because they've heard that's what sounds good from the likes of Bose.

What Brandon described is not "surround sound". Surround sound relies on
time delays to mimic positioning of various sounds of a musical or other
passage. Brandon didn't say or imply anything of the sort.

For instance, I have 12 channels of time alignment going to adjust my
rears and others so that they're all "in phase" with the fronts. I've
attempted to get rid of the delay with my setup. That's the opposite
strategy of surround sound.

I can't tell him if the Kicker 6x9's will sound good to his ears, just
like I can't convince him that the sound should come from in front of
him... so it really doesn't matter. But I will not change my advice
just because someone enjoys listening to their audio system in a way
that is technically wrong.

Please explain how it is "technically wrong."
bob wald

i meant will sound alike....oops

bob wald

uuhh i'm sorry when my stereo is on i hear all of it. not the fronts
then the rears....then the fronts again..... its all at once mostly....

bob wald

jethro..i didnt ask howd itd sound to me but kicker, is it better than
alot in quality,wear,overall sound?
what you you say is as good a brand as kicker? sony,kenwood,jl,jbl,polk
or infinity?

Jethro

bob wald Wrote:
jethro..i didnt ask howd itd sound to me but kicker, is it better than
alot in quality,wear,overall sound?
what you you say is as good a brand as kicker?
sony,kenwood,jl,jbl,polk
or infinity?

Of the brands you list, I would rate them like this (in general):

1. JL Audio
2. JBL / Polk / Kicker / Cerwin Vega
3. Kenwood
4. Sony

I would expect the Kicker 6x9's to have good midbass, as Kicker
speakers are known for having good output. They also are known for
having high quality speakers that take decent abuse.

The big unknown for someone who hasn't heard that particular speaker
(or line of speakers) is the tweeter. Every type of tweeter sounds
different... that is why it is important that YOU determine if they
sound good or not. To my ears a soft dome tweeter sounds good, but to
others; a metal dome sounds better...

I would think that at the price you listed, they would be a good deal.

--
Jethro

old school SQ guy
Jethro's Profile: http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/me...p?userid=18662
View this thread: http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/sh...d.php?t=226427

Scott Gardner

On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 15:29:04 -0500, Brandonb
wrote:

Jethro wrote:
[...]

To each his own, that's true, but part of the problem is that Bob has
a habit of throwing out these bull**** "rules of thumb", like his
statement that you should put 35% more power to the rear speakers than
the front, or that amplifiers can only put out 88% of their rated
power.

If he wants to tailor HIS system to HIS own tastes, that's fine, but
putting out these suspiciously-precise figures and guidelines as
gospel to the rest of the readers is horse****.

--
Scott Gardner

"The media finally figured out that their "paying customers" (i.e. advertisers) don't WANT an intelligent, thoughtful audience. And they no longer have one." (Rich Tietjens)

bob wald

the reason you put more power to the rears is to make it all come
togeher at the same time better.or blend better.
or it would be out of phase i guess...youd hear one part after the
fronts play thier part of that same part of the song.even though were
talking less than a secomd i guess.
So to balnce out the farther distance to the rears.more power ''scotty
damit!'' HA
i can never get his scottish accent right...

Jethro

bob wald Wrote:
the reason you put more power to the rears is to make it all come
togeher at the same time better.or blend better.
or it would be out of phase i guess...youd hear one part after the
fronts play thier part of that same part of the song.even though were
talking less than a secomd i guess.
So to balnce out the farther distance to the rears.more power
''scotty
damit!'' HA
i can never get his scottish accent right...

That is complete and utter BS there Bob. Adding more power to your rear
speakers will have zero effect on phase. A sound wave of a given
frequency will travel the same speed no matter what the amplitude of
the wave is. The only way to properly adjust phase is with careful
time-alignment, or with a signal processor that allows you to switch
phase 180 degrees (but even that isn't very precise). But even then,
you still have localized sound coming from behind you... which IMO is
just annoying.

15+ years ago when I was just getting into this hobby, I ran 6x9's for
rear speakers. As my system morphed and improved, it became apparent
that something needed to change, as the image was getting dragged to
the rear... so I just clipped the tweeter wires on the 6x9's... those
Pyle 6x9's made for some great midbasses, but they eventually got axed
once I got some decent component speakers up front.

--
Jethro

old school SQ guy
Jethro's Profile: http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/me...p?userid=18662
View this thread: http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/sh...d.php?t=226427

bob wald

scott you would hear the fronts first with the same power all
around..doh..thats why i put more to the rear.to hear them all
together....ok
and its only a part of 1second difference front to back anyways......

bob wald

my use of phase could be wrong here...but you saying more power does
nothing to change the sound from a speaker? hmmm i learn stuff
everyday...lol
not....

bob wald

oh my godd..jethro..pyle...lol
i wouldnt take any advice from you on any good sounding car stereo,,,lol
you can buy other brands as cheap as pyle like jensen/boss but sound
detter..lol
oh my god..you shouldnt admtted you had pyle..i lost all respect for you
on the subject of car audio.....
jsyo..lol

MZ

Bob, why are you still here?

And other posters, why are you still actually discussing audio with this
guy? You should be discussing which pathology afflicted him as a child to
lead to such significant brain damage.

"bob wald" wrote in message
oh my godd..jethro..pyle...lol
i wouldnt take any advice from you on any good sounding car stereo,,,lol
you can buy other brands as cheap as pyle like jensen/boss but sound
detter..lol
oh my god..you shouldnt admtted you had pyle..i lost all respect for you
on the subject of car audio.....
jsyo..lol

bob wald

jsyk...lol
i actually do have brain damage bub..motorcycle wreck......long
story.....

Jethro

bob wald Wrote:
my use of phase could be wrong here...but you saying more power does
nothing to change the sound from a speaker? hmmm i learn stuff
everyday...lol
not....

Your comprehension skills are lacking. Nobody said more power wouldn't
change the sound from a speaker, we said that more power will not make
the wave arrive at your ears any quicker than less power... it will
just be at a higher volume level. The amplitude of the wave (how loud
it is) has ZERO effect on how fast the wave travels. Whether you are
running 50 watts to a speaker or 2 watts to a speaker, the wave travels
the same speed.

You are obviously in over your head in this simple discussion. I
recommend doing a little reading before you attempt to make yourself
sound smarter than the rest of us. Go to the following site, it has
some great information about car audio... scroll down the sidebar on
the right side to see different topics:

www.bcae1.com

--
Jethro

old school SQ guy
Jethro's Profile: http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/me...p?userid=18662
View this thread: http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/sh...d.php?t=226459

bob wald

i said more power would make the rear speakers more noticable......
not faster.......
either way it makes a difference..i see what youre doing..trying to trip
me up. n make me look bad.about car audio.lol...youve done stuck out
like 20times.trying to trip me up.....
When will you give up??//

Jethro

bob wald Wrote:
oh my godd..jethro..pyle...lol
i wouldnt take any advice from you on any good sounding car
stereo,,,lol
you can buy other brands as cheap as pyle like jensen/boss but sound
detter..lol
oh my god..you shouldnt admtted you had pyle..i lost all respect for
you
on the subject of car audio.....
jsyo..lol

Yes Bob, at one time I was igorant about car audio (as you are now). As
I mentioned, that was 15 years ago. I quickly learned from my mistakes
and moved on from Pyle. End of story.

--
Jethro

old school SQ guy
Jethro's Profile: http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/me...p?userid=18662
View this thread: http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/sh...d.php?t=226460

MZ

jsyk...lol
i actually do have brain damage bub..motorcycle wreck......long
story.....

Why am I not surprised?