Default TSR-8 to DA-38 transfer

I would like to make a straight transfer of tracks from my r-t-r TSR-8
to my DA-38. No syncing is required. The TSR-8 has a TDIF out; the
DA-38 has a TDIF-1 (Digital I/O) connector. They both have RCA's ins &
outs as well, though I would like to stay with a balanced connection.
Someone suggested I get a Lightpipe converter to handle the A/D
conversion, although I am not sure exactly what type I would need. I
am a complete neophye in the matter of handling A/O, and would
appreciate any suggestions and specific information on what I need to
transfer my tracks most effectively.
Thank you!
Joe

It very well may not be a TDIF connector in the TSR-8 (I have to
apologize for my ignorance in these matters!). I will check to see if I
can use a D-sub connector. This brings me to an additional question:
Do I need to worry about an external device for converting the analog
signal to digital (or are the converters in the DA-38 sufficient)?
Thanks again in adance for helping out a newbie.
Joe

Scott Dorsey

I would like to make a straight transfer of tracks from my r-t-r TSR-8
to my DA-38. No syncing is required. The TSR-8 has a TDIF out; the
DA-38 has a TDIF-1 (Digital I/O) connector. They both have RCA's ins &
outs as well, though I would like to stay with a balanced connection.
Someone suggested I get a Lightpipe converter to handle the A/D
conversion, although I am not sure exactly what type I would need. I
am a complete neophye in the matter of handling A/O, and would
appreciate any suggestions and specific information on what I need to
transfer my tracks most effectively.

Are you SURE the TSR-8 has a T-DIF output?

There's no reason not to just take the analogue outputs from the
TSR-8 and run them into the DA-38. Spend some time making sure the
TSR-8 is clean and aligned, has a new pinch roller and well-lubricated
motor bearings, etc. Align azimuth for each tape (and align the playback
EQ for each tape too if you can). The hard part is getting good playback.
Recording is easy.

If you want, you can use better converters in front of the DA-38. You
can spend around $1000 for the RME ADI-8 converters, or you can spend
around $12K for a set of Prisms. Or you can just use the converters
built into the machine and not worry about it. Better converters will
definitely sound better, so if you are doing a lot of this sort of work
it's worth the money.