A question about installing a deck in a 1998 Buick Regal

Old January 17th 04, 07:31 AM
Rene Hawkes

Default A question about installing a deck in a 1998 Buick Regal

I plan to be replacing the awful stock stereo in my 98 Buick Regal. I went
to Best Buy the other day and decided to replace it with the Pioneer
DEH-1600 ($200), which I can get installed for free. at the store. The
problem with this is that I have to pay an extra $60 or so for a install
kit, wiring harness, and antenna adapter. The guy there was pretty serious
when he said I needed this.

Do I really need this all this extra stuff, or can I forgo some of it? I did
some mesuring, and I'm sure I can't fit the new deck in the car dash, since
the dash is about twice as wide as the deck.

All of this is in canadian dollars, by the way. Any help or suggestions
would be greatly appreaciated.

Old January 17th 04, 11:44 AM
KaeZoo

You do need the parts. If you look around you can find them for less than
Best Buy sells them for, but Best Buy may not be willing to do the free
install for you if you bring them someone else's parts. Ask them and see.

news:VE4Ob.138611$X%[email protected]

Old January 17th 04, 04:24 PM
Peter

> it cracks me up when folks fall for FREE INSTALLATION!!
> There really isnt such a thing!!
> Its a SCAM!!

TANSTAFL. There Are No Such Things As Free Lunch

And "free gift" thing still leaves me wondering... aren't gifts always
free???

Old January 17th 04, 05:44 PM
Eddie Runner

SO they want to give you FREE installation but
charge you $60!!!

ha ha ha ha ha ha

The kit ought to be around $9
the wire harness $10
and the antenna adapter about $7

it cracks me up when folks fall for FREE INSTALLATION!!
There really isnt such a thing!!
Its a SCAM!!

Eddie Runner
(installin since 1974)

Old January 17th 04, 06:07 PM
mayhemkrew

that's were people misread the ad...it's says free installation labor. what
do you think. People also misread this, We'll Install it today or the labor
is free. what do you think.

Old January 17th 04, 06:33 PM
Eddie Runner

but it really isnt free at all!
If you buy a radio elsewhere for less are they still gonna install it for free?

NO WAY!

If you buy the kit and parts somewhere else are they gonna install if for free?

NO WAY!

In this world there typicly is NOTHING FREE!!!
The marketing guys SAY FREE but it is NOT!!

I worked at a company decades ago and we woudl run adds in the paper
for free installation... The installers got paid commission for thier labor and
did they like it when the company said FREE INSTALLATION!!???

Hell yeah they did!
It drew in suckers from all over town thinking it was FREE but the company
suckered them into paying more for all the other stuff!! SO the installers
ended
up making more money than normal NOT LESS!! We loved it !!

What sucks is now is that I work for a much more legit car audio shoppe,
we dont play the games, we just do good quality work for a fair price..
Customers ask if we have FREE installs and we say NO... Then they
run right down the street to Best buy and pay them MORE than they
would be paying us for what would probably be a better install...

Old January 17th 04, 07:35 PM
Eddie Runner

what about the guys in the mall Kiosks that chase after
you when you walk by offering you a FREE PHONE!!

NOTTT!!

Old January 17th 04, 07:56 PM
Scott Gardner

Kind of like shaving razors. You can get the handle and the first
blade or two for next to nothing, but then they gig you on the blade
refills.

Inkjet printers come to mind, too. You can buy a nice HP printer for
$75, but a high-capacity black ink cartridge is $20-30, and you're
buying those for the life of the printer.

Scott

Old January 17th 04, 07:58 PM
Eddie Runner

no scott, its not like that at all.

Razors and inkjets dont say FREE all over them!!

Old January 17th 04, 09:10 PM
TheBIessedDead

Default FREE INSTALLATION!!! NOT !!! A question about installing a

>Razors and inkjets dont say FREE all over them!!

On my 18th birthday I got a package from Gillette that had one of those Mach 3
razors in it, and some gel and ****....Didn't take me long to figure out how
they could afford to give me such a lovely birthday present. Those refill
razors are damned expensive.

Nick

WTB: Factory CD deck from '95 Buick Regal BBB Car Audio 0 December 4th 03 08:13 PM
95 Buick Regal BBB Car Audio 2 November 13th 03 05:59 PM
problem with installing a deck in my 2003 cavilar [email protected] Car Audio 17 September 2nd 03 12:52 AM
Alpine deck blew my subs! Indiglow Car Audio 9 August 16th 03 01:46 AM
Installing new deck in 98 BMW with Harmon Kardon, want to keep stock speakers Bentley Bear Car Audio 0 July 26th 03 07:09 PM