Tha Ghee

Default when is capacitors used?

"Mark Zarella" wrote in message
At what power ratings should one start to worry about this?

some people don't realize that if you have a fully regulated amp, you

get
little to no benefits. if it's un-or-semi regulated you may/can see

some
benefits

How do you figure? Headlight dimming would be more pronounced if anything
for a fully regulated amp.

no it wouldn't, fully reg. amps put less strain on elec. systems then
un-reg. amps.

Mark Zarella

explain who there a gimmick, if you need a big boost of volts for a
bass
note you'll need the cap then the batt. will never get the power down

the
line quickly enough.

What do you mean? It moves at the speed of light.

electricy does not always move at the speed of light, it depends on the
medium

Right. In fact, it never moves at the speed of light. But relatively
speaking, it's close enough. So that still doesn't clarify your point.

Mark Zarella

How do you figure? Headlight dimming would be more pronounced if
anything
for a fully regulated amp.

no it wouldn't, fully reg. amps put less strain on elec. systems then
un-reg. amps.

No, the dimming would be more pronounced because the regulated amp would
draw more current than the unregulated counterpart. That is, in order to
compensate for the drop in input voltage, excess current is drawn in the
regulated amp. In an unregulated amp, the current drawn is directly
proportional to the supply voltage. As a result, dimming increases with
more regulation.

Tha Ghee

"Mark Zarella" wrote in message
explain who there a gimmick, if you need a big boost of volts for a

bass
note you'll need the cap then the batt. will never get the power

down
the
line quickly enough.

What do you mean? It moves at the speed of light.

electricy does not always move at the speed of light, it depends on the
medium

Right. In fact, it never moves at the speed of light. But relatively
speaking, it's close enough. So that still doesn't clarify your point.

what are you talking about, I'm not following your line of questions.

Tha Ghee

"Mark Zarella" wrote in message
How do you figure? Headlight dimming would be more pronounced if

anything
for a fully regulated amp.

no it wouldn't, fully reg. amps put less strain on elec. systems then
un-reg. amps.

No, the dimming would be more pronounced because the regulated amp would
draw more current than the unregulated counterpart. That is, in order to
compensate for the drop in input voltage, excess current is drawn in the
regulated amp. In an unregulated amp, the current drawn is directly
proportional to the supply voltage. As a result, dimming increases with
more regulation.

no it's less pronounced the amp will change the rail voltage to compensate
for lost power.

Mark Zarella

what are you talking about, I'm not following your line of questions.

You said: "if you need a big boost of volts for a bass note you'll need the
cap then the batt. will never get the power down the line quickly enough."

I replied that it would get down the line quick enough because electrons
move at the speed of light.

Mark Zarella

No, the dimming would be more pronounced because the regulated amp would
draw more current than the unregulated counterpart. That is, in order

compensate for the drop in input voltage, excess current is drawn in the
regulated amp. In an unregulated amp, the current drawn is directly
proportional to the supply voltage. As a result, dimming increases with
more regulation.

no it's less pronounced the amp will change the rail voltage to compensate
for lost power.

Huh? What amp does this?

Scott Gardner

On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 21:13:26 -0500, "Mark Zarella"
wrote:

No, the dimming would be more pronounced because the regulated amp would
draw more current than the unregulated counterpart. That is, in order

compensate for the drop in input voltage, excess current is drawn in the
regulated amp. In an unregulated amp, the current drawn is directly
proportional to the supply voltage. As a result, dimming increases with
more regulation.

no it's less pronounced the amp will change the rail voltage to compensate
for lost power.

Huh? What amp does this?

There were/are some car amps that have switchable rail voltages -
Carver comes to mind, for one. But the vast majority of regulated car
amplifiers behave as you described - raising current draw to
compensate for reduced input voltage.

Scott Gardner

Mark Zarella

There were/are some car amps that have switchable rail voltages -
Carver comes to mind, for one. But the vast majority of regulated car
amplifiers behave as you described - raising current draw to
compensate for reduced input voltage.

Yes, ESX also made an amp like this. And if I'm not mistaken, Sony as well?
But this has nothing to do with regulation.

Tha Ghee

"Mark Zarella" wrote in message
what are you talking about, I'm not following your line of questions.

You said: "if you need a big boost of volts for a bass note you'll need

the
cap then the batt. will never get the power down the line quickly enough."

I replied that it would get down the line quick enough because electrons
move at the speed of light.

electrons do, but current doesn't

Mark Zarella

You said: "if you need a big boost of volts for a bass note you'll need
the
cap then the batt. will never get the power down the line quickly

enough."

I replied that it would get down the line quick enough because electrons
move at the speed of light.

electrons do, but current doesn't

Current is only limited by reactance, which isn't much greater in the
battery than in the cap.

billh

"Mark Zarella" wrote in message
You said: "if you need a big boost of volts for a bass note you'll

need
the
cap then the batt. will never get the power down the line quickly

enough."

I replied that it would get down the line quick enough because

electrons
move at the speed of light.

electrons do, but current doesn't

Current is only limited by reactance, which isn't much greater in the
battery than in the cap.

You don't really get a boost of volts from a capacitor, you have a resevoir
of charge which can provide current that prevents the voltage from dropping.
Ideally, the capacitor would be as close to the amplifier as possible to
reduce the impedance (reactance+resistance) between it and the amplifier.
The effect of the impedance between the battery and the amplifier will cause
the voltage to drop at the amplifier because of the high-current
requirements which are associated with strong bass notes.
Billh

Tha Ghee

"Mark Zarella" wrote in message
You said: "if you need a big boost of volts for a bass note you'll

need
the
cap then the batt. will never get the power down the line quickly

enough."

I replied that it would get down the line quick enough because

electrons
move at the speed of light.

electrons do, but current doesn't

Current is only limited by reactance, which isn't much greater in the
battery than in the cap.

I think it is, it's made to store and slowly release not give up the ghost
quickly.

Mark Zarella

You don't really get a boost of volts from a capacitor, you have a
resevoir
of charge which can provide current that prevents the voltage from

dropping.
Ideally, the capacitor would be as close to the amplifier as possible to
reduce the impedance (reactance+resistance) between it and the amplifier.
The effect of the impedance between the battery and the amplifier will

cause
the voltage to drop at the amplifier because of the high-current
requirements which are associated with strong bass notes.
Billh

Right, but Ghee wasn't talking about v drops. He was talking about speed.

Mark Zarella

Current is only limited by reactance, which isn't much greater in the
battery than in the cap.

I think it is, it's made to store and slowly release not give up the ghost
quickly.

It doesn't "slowly release". The impedance would have to be sky high for
that to be true.

Tha Ghee

"Mark Zarella" wrote in message
Current is only limited by reactance, which isn't much greater in the
battery than in the cap.

I think it is, it's made to store and slowly release not give up the

ghost
quickly.

It doesn't "slowly release". The impedance would have to be sky high for
that to be true.

I know that's why you need caps to get the voltage to the other end quickly.

Mark Zarella

It doesn't "slowly release". The impedance would have to be sky high
for
that to be true.

I know that's why you need caps to get the voltage to the other end

quickly.

I'm afraid you're wrong. It's not a matter of speed. Current is limited
only by the phase lag provided by the reactive component of the output
impedance. It's physically impossible for it to get as high as you seem to
be suggesting.

Tha Ghee

"Mark Zarella" wrote in message
It doesn't "slowly release". The impedance would have to be sky high

for
that to be true.

I know that's why you need caps to get the voltage to the other end

quickly.

I'm afraid you're wrong. It's not a matter of speed. Current is limited
only by the phase lag provided by the reactive component of the output
impedance. It's physically impossible for it to get as high as you seem

be suggesting.

the purpose of the cap is to recharge and discharge volts quickly.

Donald Sherwood

Is it me or is it they way people dechiper a battery and compair a cap to a
battery. A battery is a power source, a cap is a storage device. When
dealing woith stored energy and the potential difference created across the
positive and negative plates of a cap, is quite different than the energy
that is chemically produced than a battery.

I thought that Stored of dissipated energy is more depicted by represemnting
it as Joules. If you break down how many Joules of power is realesed from a
battery at a given point and compair that to the cap you might find that the
Joules in a cap are quite insignifigant compaired to the battery.

Just to figure something out can anyone tell me where the storage of the
potential in a cap is?
--
1991 Tornado Red Corrado, CCA Member # 6645
Stereo is a continuous W.I.P.

There are two parts to wisdom:
1) Having a lot to say, and
2) Not saying it.
"Tha Ghee" wrote in message
"Mark Zarella" wrote in message
It doesn't "slowly release". The impedance would have to be sky

high
for
that to be true.

I know that's why you need caps to get the voltage to the other end

quickly.

I'm afraid you're wrong. It's not a matter of speed. Current is

limited
only by the phase lag provided by the reactive component of the output
impedance. It's physically impossible for it to get as high as you seem

be suggesting.

the purpose of the cap is to recharge and discharge volts quickly.

Tha Ghee

"Donald Sherwood" wrote in message
[...]

the only power source in a car is the alt not batt. and a batt. is a storage
device like the cap. and they rest I can't decipher, please turn on the
spell check.

Mark Zarella

Is it me or is it they way people dechiper a battery and compair a cap to
battery. A battery is a power source, a cap is a storage device. When
dealing woith stored energy and the potential difference created across

the
positive and negative plates of a cap, is quite different than the energy
that is chemically produced than a battery.

I thought that Stored of dissipated energy is more depicted by

represemnting
it as Joules. If you break down how many Joules of power is realesed from

battery at a given point and compair that to the cap you might find that

the
Joules in a cap are quite insignifigant compaired to the battery.

Well, first of all Joules are a unit of energy, not power. When making the
comparison, it's the time component that differentiates power and energy
that comes into play with a capacitor. The point is that the capacitor can
discharge current through a relatively small output impedance compared with
that of the battery/alternator. If the battery/alternator had the output
impedance that a capacitor has, they wouldn't exhibit the voltage drop that
they do.

Just to figure something out can anyone tell me where the storage of the
potential in a cap is?

The energy in a capacitor is stored in the dielectric. Is that what you
wanted to know?

Mark Zarella

the only power source in a car is the alt not batt. and a batt. is a
storage
device like the cap.

A battery is a source.

Scott Gardner

On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 22:18:14 -0500, "Mark Zarella"
wrote:

the only power source in a car is the alt not batt. and a batt. is a

storage
device like the cap.

A battery is a source.

I agree with Ghee on this one. Both batteries and capacitors are
storage devices. Batteries store and release energy by chemical
reactions, wheras capacitors store and release energy by means of a
differential charge between two plates separated by a dielectric. The
only thing in a car that actually generates electrical energy is the
alternator, by means of relative motion between a magnetic field and
wire windings.

Scott Gardner

Mark Zarella

A battery is a source.

I agree with Ghee on this one. Both batteries and capacitors are
storage devices.

Batteries are the prototypical voltage source. Open any electronics or
physics text and they're using batteries as sources.

Batteries store and release energy by chemical
reactions, wheras capacitors store and release energy by means of a
differential charge between two plates separated by a dielectric. The
only thing in a car that actually generates electrical energy is the
alternator, by means of relative motion between a magnetic field and
wire windings.

The key difference of course is that batteries CREATE charge by transducing
energy from chemical potential to electrical potential. Therefore, it's a
source. Your argument is based on the premise that it stores energy,
therefore it cannot be a source. That it stores energy is irrelevant,
because energy must by definition (conservation of energy) always be
accessible by any voltage source so that a potential difference can be
generated. It doesn't matter whether the energy is in the form of chemical
potential, temperature gradients, magnetic fields, or atomic forces. A
device that transduces one form of energy into a voltage is a voltage
source. A device that transduces energy into a current is a current source.

Capacitors do not do this. They strictly store charge. They do nothing
else. No energy transduction, no charge generation.

Scott Gardner

On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 11:09:24 -0500, "Mark Zarella"
wrote:

[...]

You're absolutely right, Mark. I should have gone back to my
"Electric Circuits" textbook (dug off the shelf after too many years,
obvioiusly) BEFORE I posted my reply. Here's the definition of
"Source" from that book -

"a device that is capable of converting nonelectric energy to electric
energy and vice versa"

So as you posted, a battery satisfies that definition. An alternator
wouldn't, since it only converts one way, from mechanical energy to
electrical energy, not the other way around. Also, you're correct
that since capacitors do not convert between electrical energy and any
form of non-electrical energy, they are NOT sources.

Thanks for the correction.

Scott Gardner

Mark Zarella

You're absolutely right, Mark. I should have gone back to my
"Electric Circuits" textbook (dug off the shelf after too many years,
obvioiusly) BEFORE I posted my reply. Here's the definition of
"Source" from that book -

"a device that is capable of converting nonelectric energy to electric
energy and vice versa"

So as you posted, a battery satisfies that definition. An alternator
wouldn't, since it only converts one way, from mechanical energy to
electrical energy, not the other way around.

Actually, an alternator is a source too. First, I don't think the "vice
versa" part is necessary, though I can't think of a situation where it
doesn't exist one way and not the other. An alternator, for example, is a
mere extension of Faraday's law so electrical input would indeed result in a
force. It's based on the same principles as a speaker or microphone (which
are essentially the same thing). You can push down on the cone in an
oscillatory manner and a voltage will appear at the terminals, or you can
apply a current and the speaker will move. That means that a
speaker/microphone can also be considered a source, and in fact it's often
modelled as such.

Scott Gardner

On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 13:29:09 -0500, "Mark Zarella"
wrote:

[...]

Yep - it may be an instance of context. In the pastI have used
motor/generators, which obviously do the conversion both ways. The
Naval nuclear reactor I trained on when I was enlisted had several of
them. Since the alternator in a car is never used to convert
electrical energy to mechanical energy, I guess it can't be considered
a "source" - in THAT context.

Scott Gardner

Mark Zarella

[...]

I don't believe that a source needs to operate both ways. It certainly
doesn't need to in a circuit. So if you can't use context as the criteria.

Tha Ghee

"Mark Zarella" wrote in message
the only power source in a car is the alt not batt. and a batt. is a

storage
device like the cap.

A battery is a source.

a battery is not a source for power just a storage device. A battery can't
generate it's own power.

Tha Ghee

[...]

if a battery has no charge it can't generate it's own power you hook a
battery up with no supply source and it'll deplete it power/energy. with an
alt. this can never happen.

Soundfreak03

if a battery has no charge it can't generate it's own power you hook a
battery up with no supply source and it'll deplete it power/energy. with an
alt. this can never happen.

sure it can. What happens when an alternator goes bad? It stops loosing the
ability to provide power. Does that mean it was never a power source? No. The
same is true for a battery. It IS a power source, just because it becomes
completed does not make it less of a power source than it was before. What is
the power source for your remotes and other batt. operated devices?

Les
Mark Zarella

if a battery has no charge it can't generate it's own power you hook a
battery up with no supply source and it'll deplete it power/energy. with

an
alt. this can never happen.

The battery will only deplete its energy if the electrochemical gradient is
no longer sufficient to generate a charge. Under normal conditions, this
gradient generates charge through an energy transduction process that turns
chemical energy into electrical energy. Likewise, an alternator will
deplete its energy if the mechanical energy is disrupted. It's the same
process. One turns chemical energy into electrical energy, the other turns
mechanical energy into electrical energy. Disrupting the energy pathway
eliminates the device's ability to generate electrical energy.

Mark Zarella

A battery is a source.

a battery is not a source for power just a storage device. A battery

can't
generate it's own power.

Of course it can. A battery, just like any other source, converts one form
of energy into electrical energy. Power is the time rate of energy.

A battery doesn't "store charge". It stores energy. There's an energy
transduction process that you're intentionally ignoring. If you were to
prevent the battery from performing the necessary chemical reactions to
generate charge (perhaps by manipulating the temperature), you wouldn't have
a charge. The same cannot be said of a capacitor, whose sole job is to
store charge.

Tha Ghee

"Soundfreak03" wrote in message
if a battery has no charge it can't generate it's own power you hook a
battery up with no supply source and it'll deplete it power/energy. with

an
alt. this can never happen.

sure it can. What happens when an alternator goes bad? It stops loosing

the
ability to provide power. Does that mean it was never a power source? No.

The
same is true for a battery. It IS a power source, just because it becomes
completed does not make it less of a power source than it was before. What

is
the power source for your remotes and other batt. operated devices?

Les

it's a storage device it holds potential, it doesn't generate it's own
power.

Mark Zarella

it's a storage device it holds potential, it doesn't generate it's own
power.

It holds potential energy, not potential.

If it's a voltage storage device, what charges it up?

Soundfreak03

it's a storage device it holds potential, it doesn't generate it's own
power.

Yes it does. It takes a chemical reaction and turns it into electrical energy.
Do battery operated devices need a power source? Yes. And what is that power
source? A battery.

Les

Tha Ghee

"Soundfreak03" wrote in message
it's a storage device it holds potential, it doesn't generate it's own
power.

Yes it does. It takes a chemical reaction and turns it into electrical

energy.
Do battery operated devices need a power source? Yes. And what is that

power
source? A battery.

Les

a car battery and a Duracell are different.

Mark Zarella

it's a storage device it holds potential, it doesn't generate it's own
power.

It holds potential energy, not potential.

If it's a voltage storage device, what charges it up?

the alt.

I don't have an alternator to charge my flashlight batteries.

Capacitors Bryan Car Audio 0 December 2nd 03 04:23 AM
FA: Sprague NOS "Black Beauty" Capacitors and More! Rick Ferranti General 0 December 1st 03 06:51 PM
fs: 1 Farad Capacitors Eric Renaud Car Audio 0 October 26th 03 11:13 PM
FS: (3) 1 Farad Capacitors Eric Renaud Car Audio 1 October 1st 03 11:59 PM
CAPACITORS good inexexpensive? Soundfreak03 Car Audio 7 July 23rd 03 09:50 PM