Soundfreak03

Default speaker protection

Bull****. I can fry a speaker with straight DC voltage.

So??? I can ruin a speaker with a sledge hammer. What does DC Voltage have to
do with clipping?????
Pug Fugley

"Soundfreak03" wrote in message
Bull****. I can fry a speaker with straight DC voltage.

So??? I can ruin a speaker with a sledge hammer. What does DC Voltage have

do with clipping?????

Nothing. Just trying to debunk the thinking around here that the only way to
damage a speaker is by overpowering it.

Pug Fugley

"Soundfreak03" wrote in message
So you're saying a clipped, overdriven-until-death amp will NEVER EVER

NEVER
damage a speaker???

Noone said that. Are you really that much of a dumbass??
IF, and only IF, the amplifier delivers more power than the speaker can

handle
while being clipped will it damage a speaker. It happens WAY LESS than you
think it does.

Do you care to answer the questions I asked? Like how does a clipped amp

"pop a
voice coil"?

Overheating. Speaker design 101..check into it.

And why you think that clipping is always going to damage the
speakers?

Speakers don't like amps to give them anything but clean, raw power.
Anything else can damage the speaker.

But you wont answer, and not because you dont have the time, but because

you
are an idiot without a clue.

I really just don't have time to take you to school right now if you want to
know the truth.

Pug Fugley

"Soundfreak03" wrote in message
To be honest with you, I couldn't really give a flying ****. I have

better
things to do with my life.

In other wordsm you have no clue what the hell you are talking about.

Figures.
Just another dumbass without a clue.

Yep. Means a lot coming from an AOL user.

Soundfreak03

Nothing. Just trying to debunk the thinking around here that the only way to
damage a speaker is by overpowering it.

We are refferring too normal ways. A faulty amp can damage a speaker, hooking
it up to a battery will damage a speaker, taking a hammer to it will damage a
speaker. Go back to Jr High and learn how to read in context.

Les

Pug Fugley

"Soundfreak03" wrote in message
Nothing. Just trying to debunk the thinking around here that the only way

damage a speaker is by overpowering it.

We are refferring too normal ways. A faulty amp can damage a speaker,

hooking
it up to a battery will damage a speaker, taking a hammer to it will

damage a
speaker. Go back to Jr High and learn how to read in context.

Why do you want me to go back to Jr High? You need somebody to talk to
there? Or do you need someone to protect you from the 8th grade bullies who
are taking your lunch money?

Soundfreak03

Do you care to answer the questions I asked? Like how does a clipped amp
"pop a
voice coil"?

Overheating. Speaker design 101..check into it.

Been there, but obviously you missed a few things.

Speakers don't like amps to give them anything but clean, raw power.
Anything else can damage the speaker.

BULL****!!!!!! HOW??? You can say that all day long but explain how. You cant.
The speakers dont really care as long as you do not exceed thier limits! It is
a combonation of the clipping and various other items that will damage a
speaker. But saying anything else will damage a speaker is wrong.

But you wont answer, and not because you dont have the time, but because

you
are an idiot without a clue.

I really just don't have time to take you to school right now if you want to
know the truth.

You dont know. Thats why you dont have the time. Because you have magically had
the time to respond every other time but you cant provide ANY, not one bit, of
scientific or even just logical knowledge. You merely repeat what your buddy
told you.

So try and take me to school. I will do what I do to everyone else like you,
make you look like the dumbass you are. Right now your just a punk kid who has
no idea what the hell they are talking about.
PROVE ME WRONG. Go ahead and do it. But you can't. You lose more and more
credibility everytime you post.

Les
Soundfreak03

In other wordsm you have no clue what the hell you are talking about.
Figures.
Just another dumbass without a clue.

Yep. Means a lot coming from an AOL user.

So?? My AOL is free and my email has been there for years. And I happen to like
the way thier newsreader works.
But you just avoid the question because you dont know. You are still just
another dumbass without a clue. If your not then prove me wrong.

Les
Pug Fugley

"Soundfreak03" wrote in message
Do you care to answer the questions I asked? Like how does a clipped

amp
"pop a
voice coil"?

Overheating. Speaker design 101..check into it.

Been there, but obviously you missed a few things.

I know you weren't there, I didn't miss that fact.

Besides, you were probably in diapers when I was there. Sounds like you're
STILL in diapers to me though.

Soundfreak03

Do you care to answer the questions I asked? Like how does a clipped
amp
"pop a
voice coil"?

Overheating. Speaker design 101..check into it.

Been there, but obviously you missed a few things.

I know you weren't there, I didn't miss that fact.

Besides, you were probably in diapers when I was there. Sounds like you're
STILL in diapers to me though.

Ok. Quit dancing around answering the questions. You have still provided zero
facts or references or things that are even logical. Prove me wrong. If your so
smart then that should be easy if I am still in diapers, right? You just look
more idiotic everytime you post. Present something logical, show us the basis
of your assertations, surely you can do that. Where do you get your
information? What source? And be specific because there is a good chance I have
a copy of it and I will be more than happy to look it up. So far you have
posted nothing but audio myths from someone who has no clue. And I am not the
only one who thinks that.

Les

Paul Vina

Overheating. Speaker design 101..check into it.

The speakers will only overheat if the clipped signal carries more voltage
than the speakers can handle.

Funny that you didn't have anything to say about my post where I told you my
laptop speakers are powered by a clipped signal all time and haven't blown
yet. Convenient.

Paul Vina

Mark Zarella

Is your reading comprehension that poor?? When did soundfreak or I say
that a clipped signal will not blow a speaker? He simply said that
clipping *"in and of itself"* will not blow a speaker. Power is the
only thing that fries speakers.

Bull****. I can fry a speaker with straight DC voltage.

As long as the power content of the DC is greater than what the speaker
can handle. But say, hooking up a 9v duracell to a subwoofer isn't
going to fry it.

Are you getting the underlying theme here?

Hint: power bloes speakers, and nothing else.

Mark Zarella

Nothing. Just trying to debunk the thinking around here that the only way to
damage a speaker is by overpowering it.

That IS the only way to blow a speaker. Do you know what happens when a
speaker is blown? Do you know any of the many different things that can
happen to the speaker thus rendering it "blown"? Name one thing that
could happen to a speaker, aside from mechanical damage which I presume
you're not talking about, that would blow a speaker WITHOUT requiring an
excess of power - and explain to me what happens inside the speaker that
makes it "blown". I think if you do this, you'll clarify your stance
a bit.

Mark Zarella

It's like if you were to say that Metallica is harmful to speakers. A
ridiculous assertion of course. Though you CAN blow speakers playing
Metallica as long as the power content exceeds what the speakers are
capable of safely handling.

There's a major difference in recorded guitar distortion and the distortion
created by an amp being overdriven beyond it's limits. I'm shocked you
didn't know that already.

This ought to be good. Explain to me the difference between, say, a
square wave recorded in the studio and played back on your stereo and a
sine wave severely clipped by your amplifier such that it resembles a
square wave.

Note that I'm not saying that typical guitar distortion resembles a
square wave. Rather, I'm challenging your assertion that the speaker
can somehow distinguish between distortion created by the recording, the
source, or the amplifier. The speaker does not have access to the
original information, so it's impossible for it to determine whether or
not the signal presented to it deviates from the original signal (ie.
distortion).

Mark Zarella

Do you care to answer the questions I asked? Like how does a clipped amp

"pop a

voice coil"?

Overheating. Speaker design 101..check into it.

The laws of physics, primarily the first law of thermodynamics, prevent
a speaker from heating itself up without an external source. In other
words, only the power amplifier and the external ambient temperature can
assist in heating the voice coil in the absence of other forces. So,
assuming no one's driving around in a volcano, the only source to
overheat a speaker is from the amplifier. Joule's law of heating and
some other law I forget the name of describes the transduction of heat
from electricity with energy remaining constant, forming a relation
between electrical power dissipation and heat. Therefore, only an
excess of power can overheat a speaker. It seems you're in agreement
after all. But I don't know why you insist on talking about square
waves and DC, all irrelevant.

And why you think that clipping is always going to damage the

speakers?

Speakers don't like amps to give them anything but clean, raw power.
Anything else can damage the speaker.

Define "clean raw power". For instance, if I send any combination of
pure sine waves to the input of an amplifier, is it a "clean" signal?

Pug Fugley

"Paul Vina" wrote in message
Overheating. Speaker design 101..check into it.

The speakers will only overheat if the clipped signal carries more voltage
than the speakers can handle.

Funny that you didn't have anything to say about my post where I told you

my
laptop speakers are powered by a clipped signal all time and haven't blown
yet. Convenient.

Does a 1/4 watt amplifier ever NOT clip?

Pug Fugley

"Mark Zarella" wrote in message
.. .
Nothing. Just trying to debunk the thinking around here that the only

way to
damage a speaker is by overpowering it.

That IS the only way to blow a speaker. Do you know what happens when a
speaker is blown? Do you know any of the many different things that can
happen to the speaker thus rendering it "blown"? Name one thing that
could happen to a speaker, aside from mechanical damage which I presume
you're not talking about, that would blow a speaker WITHOUT requiring an
excess of power - and explain to me what happens inside the speaker that
makes it "blown". I think if you do this, you'll clarify your stance
a bit.

I've seen many things done on the inside of a speaker. Tinsel wires burned,
voice coil glue getting so hot the damn thing comes unwound, I've seen
formers that have swollen up so much that it just locks down. Just recently
I actually had to rewind the voice coil of a JBL D130 that was made back in
the 70's. The thing is rated to handle like 30 watts!

Pug Fugley

"Mark Zarella" wrote in message
.. .
It's like if you were to say that Metallica is harmful to speakers. A
ridiculous assertion of course. Though you CAN blow speakers playing
Metallica as long as the power content exceeds what the speakers are
capable of safely handling.

There's a major difference in recorded guitar distortion and the

distortion
created by an amp being overdriven beyond it's limits. I'm shocked you
didn't know that already.

This ought to be good. Explain to me the difference between, say, a
square wave recorded in the studio and played back on your stereo and a
sine wave severely clipped by your amplifier such that it resembles a
square wave.

Are you really serious? You think that playing back distorted music that is
made distorted in the studio by the artist is the SAME THING as driving an
amp into clipping?!?!??!

Holy **** you're an idiot.

Soundfreak03

Are you really serious? You think that playing back distorted music that is
made distorted in the studio by the artist is the SAME THING as driving an
amp into clipping?!?!??!

Holy **** you're an idiot.

Actually your the idiot. Distortion is distortion. Let me ask you this, Does
distortion destroy speakers? Does clipping destroy speakers? What conditions
usually exist when an "underpowered" amp blows a speaker.
What does DC voltage have to do with clipping? Lets go Fugly lets see how smart
you are.

You have STILL offered no proof, no evidence, only your ramblings which make no
sense. I am still waiting for you to prove me wrong on all I have said. Come on
Fugly, you just look foolish. You are the one who is being taking to school
here. Come on dumbass prove me wrong.

Les
Mark Zarella

I've seen many things done on the inside of a speaker. Tinsel wires burned,
voice coil glue getting so hot the damn thing comes unwound, I've seen
formers that have swollen up so much that it just locks down. Just recently
I actually had to rewind the voice coil of a JBL D130 that was made back in
the 70's. The thing is rated to handle like 30 watts!

Everything you just listed is a result of overpowering. That is,
delivering more power to the speaker than it can handle. There is no
special type of waveform that will cause the temperature to
significantly rise in the speaker to cause the effects you listed at a
given power level. The only thing that can cause a rise in temperature
is increased power.

Incidentally, the power content of a square wave is twice that of an
equal amplitude sine wave. Perhaps that's what you're referring to?

Mark Zarella

There's a major difference in recorded guitar distortion and the

distortion

created by an amp being overdriven beyond it's limits. I'm shocked you
didn't know that already.

This ought to be good. Explain to me the difference between, say, a
square wave recorded in the studio and played back on your stereo and a
sine wave severely clipped by your amplifier such that it resembles a
square wave.

Are you really serious? You think that playing back distorted music that is
made distorted in the studio by the artist is the SAME THING as driving an
amp into clipping?!?!??!

Again, that's not what I said. Is english not your first language? You
seem to be having a very difficult time comprehending what I've said
thus far, and I'd like to think that I'm being reasonably articulate.
If it's not your first language, we can slow things down a bit for you.

I'll repeat what I said since you apparently missed it the first time:
A square wave recorded in a studio will yield almost an identical output
as a sine wave driven into clipping.

Note that I said nothing about distortion in the studio in that line,
though I did address it in the paragraph that you conveniently snipped out.

Mark Zarella

The speakers will only overheat if the clipped signal carries more voltage
than the speakers can handle.

Funny that you didn't have anything to say about my post where I told you

my

laptop speakers are powered by a clipped signal all time and haven't blown
yet. Convenient.

Does a 1/4 watt amplifier ever NOT clip?

Yes.

So how come you haveb't addressed Paul's question?

Paul Vina

You just contradicted yourself, and in a BIG way. The size of the amp
shouldn't matter since you said it was clipping that destroys speakers. if
the amp in my laptop is clipping the speakers should be dead, but they're
not. You're getting farther and farther into the corner you've painted
yourself into and you're running out of room to backpedal.

Paul Vina

"Pug Fugley" wrote in message
nk.net...

"Paul Vina" wrote in message
Overheating. Speaker design 101..check into it.

The speakers will only overheat if the clipped signal carries more

voltage
than the speakers can handle.

Funny that you didn't have anything to say about my post where I told

you
my
laptop speakers are powered by a clipped signal all time and haven't

blown
yet. Convenient.

Does a 1/4 watt amplifier ever NOT clip?

Mark Zarella

I thought it was a .707 rise? Or am I thinking of something else?

The RMS voltage of the sine wave is .707 times that of the square wave.
When you square it (P is proportional to V squared), you get 0.5 the
power content in the sine wave compared to the square wave.

Tha Ghee

Yep. Means a lot coming from an AOL user.

"Soundfreak03" wrote in message
I've seen it, and every magazine article I've read about it explains it.

You might want to check them out

Bull****!! Which one? What issue? Give me some quotes. And then explain

thier scientific reasoning behind it.
YOU CANT. And that is why you will not answer the question. You dont know

and you wont admit it. Your in way over your head here. Either bring some
facts to the matter or shut up. You believe in audio myths.

Les

That first line was very funny.
If you want to show him why many persons think that "clipping" damages spks.
you should but you can come across in a kinder, gentler manner. Sarcasm is
hard to transmit over the net.

If used properly "clipping" can yield almost 30% power, but like SF03 said
there are a lot of parameters that can damage a spk. "clipping is just a
catch all phrase for those who don't know how to use spks.

Tha Ghee

"Mark Zarella" wrote in message
.. .
I thought it was a .707 rise? Or am I thinking of something else?

The RMS voltage of the sine wave is .707 times that of the square wave.
When you square it (P is proportional to V squared), you get 0.5 the
power content in the sine wave compared to the square wave.

isn't .707 another ratio at almost 3am I'm loosing waves

Tha Ghee

"Pug Fugley" wrote in message
nk.net...

"Mark Zarella" wrote in

[...]

pug all there saying is that a spk will play what ever it's sent whether
it's a 0.0000001% THD+N or 40% THD+N signal. It makes no difference to the
spk it plays whatever upstream sends, the only thing it can play it what it
recieves. An amp is not supposed to alter the sound either, straight wire
with gain.

cujo613

Not to get into the middle of this, But i sure the hell remember sitting
through tech training with Soudstream, Phoenix Gold,
Orion,Audiobahn,even Infinity. And sure as **** i remember them saying
and emphasizing that underpowering a speaker will blow it. For years i
heard this. And yes ive read it also. Many times around 1988 to say
1993ish. Especially in the q&a in csr. People always getting the advice
to overpower. Basically the way i was always told is
clipping=distortion=heat=burned woofer. But it tends to make sense that
underpowering cant possibly hurt a sub. EXCEPT I WAS TRAINED TO BELEIVE
IT DOES. and after all that training you tend to get stubborn. so this
is what i beleive now, can underpowering a woofer blow? I dont give a
****, the only thing i know will blow a woofer for sure is having a
wing nut attached to the volume and gain control!!!!!!!!!!![flame]

--
cujo613

Pug Fugley

"cujo613" wrote in message

[...]

Yep, that's what all my training and experience taught me as well.

I'd rather overpower than underpower, that's for sure.

Hell, I've got a 900 watt amp bridged to a SINGLE Image Dynamics IDQ-12
which is rated for what..200 watts? 5 years and it hasn't blown yet.
Oopss..I guess overpowering doesn't ALWAYS blow spekers, eh?

Mark Zarella

Not to get into the middle of this, But i sure the hell remember sitting
through tech training with Soudstream, Phoenix Gold,
Orion,Audiobahn,even Infinity. And sure as **** i remember them saying
and emphasizing that underpowering a speaker will blow it. For years i
heard this. And yes ive read it also.

Did they give you any reasons? I suspect not, since none of you have
been able to remember them.

Anyway, yes, marketing departments often give that advice. They tell
you not to drive your amp into clipping. Why? Because in doing so
you're increasing the power output of your amp. Power doesn't STOP
increasing - it continues to increase when driven into saturation. So
it's in their best interest to tell you not to drive it into clipping
because if you match a 50 watt speaker with a 50 watt amplifier (as most
people do), your 50 watt amplifier can reach 80-90 watts if you're
clipping. The reasons for this are outlined in the following website:

http://www.geocities.com/audiotechpa...ingframes.html

Also, a very reputabl manufacturer also has something to say in depth
about clipping:

http://www.rane.com/pdf/note128.pdf

Many times around 1988 to say
1993ish. Especially in the q&a in csr. People always getting the advice
to overpower. Basically the way i was always told is
clipping=distortion=heat=burned woofer.

How can distortion = heat?

But it tends to make sense that
underpowering cant possibly hurt a sub. EXCEPT I WAS TRAINED TO BELEIVE
IT DOES. and after all that training you tend to get stubborn. so this
is what i beleive now, can underpowering a woofer blow? I dont give a
****, the only thing i know will blow a woofer for sure is having a
wing nut attached to the volume and gain control!!!!!!!!!!![flame]

True enough!

Mark Zarella

Pug Fugley wrote:
"cujo613" wrote in message

[...]

That just goes to show how conservative those IDQs' ratings are. We all
know they can handle much more than that. Sort of like the JL w3s
claiming that they can only handle 150 watts or something.

5 years and it hasn't blown yet.
Oopss..I guess overpowering doesn't ALWAYS blow spekers, eh?

By the very definition of the word overpower, yes it ALWAYS blows
speakers. In other words, if you overpower a speaker, thus delivering
more power to it than it can safely handle, then you will blow it. If
you're not blowing it, then obviously you're not delivering more power
than it can safely handle! Make sense?

You've been in the business long enough to realize just how worthless
ratings are. At least I hope so. Perhaps that's what's confusing you?

http://www.geocities.com/audiotechpa...ingframes.html

Mark Zarella

If used properly "clipping" can yield almost 30% power,

You can deliver more than 30% more power if you clip severely. It's
limited only by the output impedance of the amplifier.

Mark Zarella

Tha Ghee wrote:
"Mark Zarella" wrote in message
.. .

I thought it was a .707 rise? Or am I thinking of something else?

The RMS voltage of the sine wave is .707 times that of the square wave.
When you square it (P is proportional to V squared), you get 0.5 the
power content in the sine wave compared to the square wave.

isn't .707 another ratio at almost 3am I'm loosing waves

..707 is found pretty much everywhere in square root relationships,
because doubling in one domain amounts to a factor of the square root of
two in the other. The square root of two is 1.4 something, and its
reciprocal is .707.

cujo613

The reasons were clipping=distortion=heat=burn out. That a speakers
worst enemy is heat. That was usually the sum ip of the training. To
some of us we tried to take as much info to help our customers. Beyond
that i couldnt tell you the specifics of how an amplifier works and i
dont care. I love car audio. I love working in the industry. And this
is all i care about i have never had a customer bring back a system
that I laid out for him for any reason. 95% of the system i put
together have overpowered subs and they dont burn up. So again the
technical stuff i could care less about. Can distortion=heat I dont
know, i dont care but I do know that i was taught this by many
Trainings. I even remember sitting through a jl training and them
saying this. Am i going to run out and try to prove what I was taught
is wrong. No because it has worked for me. And could it possibly be pr
corrupting some of the technical trainings. Im sure. Bottom line I DONT
CARE, I WOULD RATHER JUST ENJOY CAR AUDIO[flame]

--
cujo613

Mark Zarella

Can distortion=heat I dont
know,

Well I do, and it doesn't. Such a notion would violate the laws of physics.

Pug Fugley

"Mark Zarella" wrote in message
.. .
Can distortion=heat I dont
know,

Well I do, and it doesn't. Such a notion would violate the laws of

physics.

I only had 2 semesters of physics, but I would think that an amp overdriven
far beyond its capabilites would create some distortion that would cause the
speaker to freak out and heat up.

cujo613

Im glad that you do. And we dont want to violate the laws of physics now
would we. So lets just enoy some car audio ok now

--
cujo613

Paul Vina

Hell, I've got a 900 watt amp bridged to a SINGLE Image Dynamics IDQ-12
which is rated for what..200 watts? 5 years and it hasn't blown yet.
Oopss..I guess overpowering doesn't ALWAYS blow spekers, eh?

The IDQ is rated to take 350RMS but talking with Eric Stevens tells me that
the sub is WAY underrated.

Paul Vina