Posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design
fudgee logic fudgee logic is offline

Default Convention for naming for audio adaptors and leads

Is this the correct understanding for naming conventions of plugs and
adapters:

(1) A lead which has a phono plug at each end can be referred to as
"phono plug to phono plug" lead. That much is ok.

(2) But is an adaptor (or coupler) which has a phono socket at each end
referred to as "phono socket to phono socket" adaptor (or coupler)?

Here's one: http://www.rawpower.co.uk/acatalog/sky_761.260.jpg

Would not also be likely that this could be referred to by its ability to
join two phono plugs and therefore gets called "phono plug to phono plug"
adaptor (or coupler)?

Posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design

On 3/22/2009 1:10 PM fudgee logic spake thus:

Is this the correct understanding for naming conventions of plugs and
adapters:

(1) A lead which has a phono plug at each end can be referred to as
"phono plug to phono plug" lead. That much is ok.

(2) But is an adaptor (or coupler) which has a phono socket at each end
referred to as "phono socket to phono socket" adaptor (or coupler)?

Here's one: http://www.rawpower.co.uk/acatalog/sky_761.260.jpg

Would not also be likely that this could be referred to by its ability to
join two phono plugs and therefore gets called "phono plug to phono plug"
adaptor (or coupler)?

I'd call it a phono plug-to-phono plug adapter (or coupler), as that's
what it adapts. Or a "double female phono connector", to more precisely
describe the adapter itself. (Or a "double-ended female RCA connector".
Or ... )

(Does anyone call them "RCA connectors" anymore?)

mostly pears.
Made With Pears: Pretty good chance that pears will be detectable in
the product.
Contains Pears: One pear seed per multiple tons of product.

(with apologies to Dorothy L. Sayers)
Posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design
Serge Auckland[_2_] Serge Auckland[_2_] is offline

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
s.com...
On 3/22/2009 1:10 PM fudgee logic spake thus:

Is this the correct understanding for naming conventions of plugs and
adapters:

(1) A lead which has a phono plug at each end can be referred to as
"phono plug to phono plug" lead. That much is ok.

(2) But is an adaptor (or coupler) which has a phono socket at each end
referred to as "phono socket to phono socket" adaptor (or coupler)?

Here's one: http://www.rawpower.co.uk/acatalog/sky_761.260.jpg

Would not also be likely that this could be referred to by its ability to
join two phono plugs and therefore gets called "phono plug to phono plug"
adaptor (or coupler)?

I'd call it a phono plug-to-phono plug adapter (or coupler), as that's
what it adapts. Or a "double female phono connector", to more precisely
describe the adapter itself. (Or a "double-ended female RCA connector". Or
... )

(Does anyone call them "RCA connectors" anymore?)

--

In France they're called Cinch connectors.
I'd call the adapter a back-to-back female phono coupler

S.
--
http://audiopages.googlepages.com

Posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
s.com...
I'd call it a phono plug-to-phono plug adapter (or coupler), as that's
what it adapts. Or a "double female phono connector", to more precisely
describe the adapter itself. (Or a "double-ended female RCA connector".
Or ... )

Most accurate and least confusing is RCA (phono) female-female adapter.
It should not be decribed by the plugs it adapts, most people would consider
a "phono plug to plug adapter" as being Male-Male, rather than F-F.

(Does anyone call them "RCA connectors" anymore?)

Sure, less confusion that "phono" IMO, which many seem to confuse with
"phone".

MrT.

Posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design
Lostgallifreyan Lostgallifreyan is offline

"Serge Auckland" wrote in newsr-
:

I'd call the adapter a back-to-back female phono coupler

And I bet she'd slap your face if you did.

Posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design

On 3/22/2009 7:09 PM Mr.T spake thus:

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
s.com...

I'd call it a phono plug-to-phono plug adapter (or coupler), as that's
what it adapts. Or a "double female phono connector", to more precisely
describe the adapter itself. (Or a "double-ended female RCA connector".
Or ... )

Most accurate and least confusing is RCA (phono) female-female adapter.
It should not be decribed by the plugs it adapts, most people would consider
a "phono plug to plug adapter" as being Male-Male, rather than F-F.

Kind of like the confusion (at least in my mind) between "onshore" and
"offshore" winds; I've always got to stop and think: does that mean the
wind is blowing on the shore from the ocean, or on the shore from the land?

mostly pears.
Made With Pears: Pretty good chance that pears will be detectable in
the product.
Contains Pears: One pear seed per multiple tons of product.

(with apologies to Dorothy L. Sayers)
Posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design
Jasen Betts[_2_] Jasen Betts[_2_] is offline

On 2009-03-23, David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 3/22/2009 7:09 PM Mr.T spake thus:

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
s.com...

I'd call it a phono plug-to-phono plug adapter (or coupler), as that's
what it adapts. Or a "double female phono connector", to more precisely
describe the adapter itself. (Or a "double-ended female RCA connector".
Or ... )

Most accurate and least confusing is RCA (phono) female-female adapter.
It should not be decribed by the plugs it adapts, most people would consider
a "phono plug to plug adapter" as being Male-Male, rather than F-F.

Kind of like the confusion (at least in my mind) between "onshore" and
"offshore" winds; I've always got to stop and think: does that mean the
wind is blowing on the shore from the ocean, or on the shore from the land?

winds are like electric current, the actual flow is the opposite way
to the common description.

Posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design
fudgee logic fudgee logic is offline

"Mr.T" MrT@home wrote in message
u...

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
s.com...
I'd call it a phono plug-to-phono plug adapter (or coupler), as that's
what it adapts. Or a "double female phono connector", to more precisely
describe the adapter itself. (Or a "double-ended female RCA connector".
Or ... )

Most accurate and least confusing is RCA (phono) female-female adapter.
It should not be decribed by the plugs it adapts, most people would
consider
a "phono plug to plug adapter" as being Male-Male, rather than F-F.

(Does anyone call them "RCA connectors" anymore?)

Sure, less confusion that "phono" IMO, which many seem to confuse with
"phone".

MrT.

OK, I think I've got it. An adapter (or "adaptor", "coupler", "gender
changer") should be described by the connectors it actually contains
rather than the connectors which it mates with.

Can I now ask about another related usage which also confuses me. As an
example, let's say I have an adapter which has an RCA-phono socket and a
3.5mm jack plug.

Some suppliers leave out the terms "socket" and "plug". So in this
example, what is the common usage:

(a) "RCA-phono to 3.5mm jack".
(b) "3.5mm jack to RCA-phono"

Posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design

"fudgee logic" wrote in message
[...]

One great confusion is the meaning of the terms "plug" and "socket". As far
as I'm concerned a plug goes on a cable, and a socket goes on a panel. You
therefore can have male plugs or female plugs, and the same for sockets.

Therefore your adapter above is an RCA female to 3.5mm jack male. You don't
and shouldn't mention the words plug or socket.

S.

--
http://audiopages.googlepages.com

Posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design

On Mon, 23 Mar 2009 13:09:41 -0000, "Serge Auckland"
wrote:

One great confusion is the meaning of the terms "plug" and "socket". As far
as I'm concerned a plug goes on a cable, and a socket goes on a panel. You
therefore can have male plugs or female plugs, and the same for sockets.

Therefore your adapter above is an RCA female to 3.5mm jack male. You don't
and shouldn't mention the words plug or socket.

S.

Never. A plug is male and a socket is female. Another word for a
socket is a jack. It doesn't matter what they are attached to, and nor
should it - that is entirely beside the point (missing the business
end, if you like).

In RF, of course, there are hermaphrodite connectors, like the 7mm.

Posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design

"fudgee logic" wrote ...
OK, I think I've got it. An adapter (or "adaptor", "coupler", "gender
changer") should be described by the connectors it actually contains
rather than the connectors which it mates with.

Can I now ask about another related usage which also confuses me. As an
example, let's say I have an adapter which has an RCA-phono socket and a
3.5mm jack plug.

Some suppliers leave out the terms "socket" and "plug". So in this
example, what is the common usage:

(a) "RCA-phono to 3.5mm jack".
(b) "3.5mm jack to RCA-phono"

(c) Female RCA (Cinch) to male 3.5mm phone (mono)

* "phono" is too easily confused with "phone"
* the original "RCA phono" connector is also known as "Cinch",
particularly outside the US.
* "socket" and "plug" (and "jack") are not necessarily defined properly
by the public. For that matter "male" and "female" are not always
identified properly because male connectors often have pins recessed
into a female-looking shell. (No anthropomorphic implications intended.
:-)
* each end must be precisely and completely defined, not left to assumption
if that is done, then the sequence is not significant, although common
convention is to state the female end first (presumed to be the "input")
* "mini-phone" is no longer assumed to be 1/8 inch or 3.5mm since
there is increasing use of similar-looking 2.5mm connectors, etc.
* phone connectors (of whatever size) should be specified at least as
"stereo" vs "mono", although there is growing use of 4-pole versions
(for stereo headphones + microphone, or stereo audio + video, etc.)
and 3-pole does not necessarily imply "stereo" either, as it is commonly
used for audio + power (as for mono computer "mic input"s)

Posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design
Lostgallifreyan Lostgallifreyan is offline

"fudgee logic" wrote in
:

OK, I think I've got it. An adapter (or "adaptor", "coupler", "gender
changer") should be described by the connectors it actually contains
rather than the connectors which it mates with.

Can I now ask about another related usage which also confuses me. As an
example, let's say I have an adapter which has an RCA-phono socket and a
3.5mm jack plug.

Some suppliers leave out the terms "socket" and "plug". So in this
example, what is the common usage:

(a) "RCA-phono to 3.5mm jack".
(b) "3.5mm jack to RCA-phono"

If context is not specified, all you have is convention. It's like a binary
digit. Instead of agonising over (usually lazy) convention, just specify
exactly what you want, explaining the connectors it has to fit to. If people
give you the look askance, that's their problem. They'll soon wise up when
they find their lack of precision bites them from behind some day. The queues
at Maplin were reguarly haunted by people who had bought the wrong plug
because they failed to specify it right. The smart ones brought their
equipment in. Shlepping a couple of largish boxes up the the shop looks daft
but it surely beats a return visit just for a few grams of wrong plug. Given
the subtle size difference in DC jacks centre pins, and poor tolerance in
some makes of plug, it's not just the techically unsavvy who benefit from
producing the business end to the saleman so there's little risk of error.

Convention only makes sense of you're negotiating with people who all
understand it AND agree with it. That's rare.
Posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design

On Mon, 23 Mar 2009 06:38:41 -0700, "Richard Crowley"
wrote:

* the original "RCA phono" connector is also known as "Cinch",
particularly outside the US.

Cinch is a connector company that makes hundreds of types. I've never
come across the RCA phono referred to as a Cinch. The shorthand
nomenclature, certainly here in the UK, is always Phono.

Posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design
Lostgallifreyan Lostgallifreyan is offline

"Serge Auckland" wrote in
:

One great confusion is the meaning of the terms "plug" and "socket". As
far as I'm concerned a plug goes on a cable, and a socket goes on a
panel. You therefore can have male plugs or female plugs, and the same
for sockets.

It gets worse, some have shrouds that make them half-plug, half-socket, some
even have that topology in the actual conductor too, for extra contact
surface. When I want something that specific, I observe carefully, then
specify a part number the firm selling them would look really stupid to get
wrong because it's their own part code. In other words, is I MUST use
convention, I pick the one the firm is most likely to know and accept, that
way I get the part I want. That's why I like RS and such. Good pictures are
indispensible at times.
Posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design

"Don Pearce" wrote...
Richard Crowley"wrote:
* the original "RCA phono" connector is also known as "Cinch",
particularly outside the US.

Cinch is a connector company that makes hundreds of types.

Most certainly. And it is not the only example of a particular kind
of connector coloquially named after the manufacturer. There are
many others. But "RCA/Cinch" appears to be the most widely-
reconizable name for that kind of connector.

I've never
come across the RCA phono referred to as a Cinch.

And neither had I until I started reading (international) news-
groups such as this one.

The shorthand
nomenclature, certainly here in the UK, is always Phono.

As it is here in the US.

Posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design
Paul B[_2_] Paul B[_2_] is offline

wrote:

One great confusion is the meaning of the terms "plug" and
"socket". As far as I'm concerned a plug goes on a cable, and
a socket goes on a panel. You therefore can have male plugs or
female plugs, and the same for sockets.

Therefore your adapter above is an RCA female to 3.5mm jack
male. You don't and shouldn't mention the words plug or
socket.

S.

Never. A plug is male and a socket is female. Another word for
a socket is a jack. It doesn't matter what they are attached
to, and nor should it - that is entirely beside the point
(missing the business end, if you like).

In RF, of course, there are hermaphrodite connectors, like the
7mm.

You say "Another word for a socket is a jack".
I think that is only US usage. Not for the UK.

The Wiki entry for a TRS Connector explains:

"In the UK, the terms jack plug and jack socket
are commonly used for the respectively male and
female TRS connectors.

In the U.S., a female connector is called a jack."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRS_connector

However even once we straighten out the right term for the gender
of a connector that still doesn't really answer the OP's query.

If we leave aside ambiguous words like "jack", he seems to be
asking whether it's the socket or the plug that come first in a
description of an adaptor/gender changer which says: "X to Y".

Is X the socket and Y the plug?

Posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design

wrote:

One great confusion is the meaning of the terms "plug" and
"socket". As far as I'm concerned a plug goes on a cable, and
a socket goes on a panel. You therefore can have male plugs or
female plugs, and the same for sockets.

Therefore your adapter above is an RCA female to 3.5mm jack
male. You don't and shouldn't mention the words plug or
socket.

S.

Never. A plug is male and a socket is female. Another word for
a socket is a jack. It doesn't matter what they are attached
to, and nor should it - that is entirely beside the point
(missing the business end, if you like).

In RF, of course, there are hermaphrodite connectors, like the
7mm.

You say "Another word for a socket is a jack".
I think that is only US usage. Not for the UK.

In th professional world it is. I know guitarists have muddied the
water by combining the two.

The Wiki entry for a TRS Connector explains:

"In the UK, the terms jack plug and jack socket
are commonly used for the respectively male and
female TRS connectors.

In the U.S., a female connector is called a jack."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRS_connector

However even once we straighten out the right term for the gender
of a connector that still doesn't really answer the OP's query.

If we leave aside ambiguous words like "jack", he seems to be
asking whether it's the socket or the plug that come first in a
description of an adaptor/gender changer which says: "X to Y".

Is X the socket and Y the plug?

That doesn't have an answer. A gender changer is the same both ends,
so you can't say which comes first. If you are talking about an
interseries adaptor, you can talk about e.g. 3.5mm male to quarter
inch female. That tells you exact;y what is on each end, and it really
doesn't matter which you put first (just turn it around - it will
still work).

When it comes to connectors with no obvious gender, you really need to
resort to catalogue pictures and part numbers.

Posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design
Paul B[_3_] Paul B[_3_] is offline

On Mon 23-Mar-2009 13:38, Richard Crowley wrote:

"fudgee logic" wrote ...

[...]

With XLR connectors, there are male and female connectors but it is
the female connector which is inserted into the male one.
See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Xlr-connectors.jpg

* each end must be precisely and completely defined, not left
to assumption if that is done, then the sequence is not
significant, although common convention is to state the female
end first (presumed to be the "input")

That's far too sensible! Sometimes suppliers shorten their
descriptions almost to the point of total intelligibility.

* "mini-phone" is no longer assumed to be 1/8 inch or 3.5mm
since there is increasing use of similar-looking 2.5mm
connectors, etc.

* phone connectors (of whatever size) should be specified at
least as "stereo" vs "mono", although there is growing use of
4-pole versions (for stereo headphones + microphone, or stereo
audio + video, etc.) and 3-pole does not necessarily imply
"stereo" either, as it is commonly used for audio + power
(as for mono computer "mic input"s)

Posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design
Paul B[_2_] Paul B[_2_] is offline

On Mon 23-Mar-2009 13:44, Lostgallifreyan
wrote:

"fudgee logic" wrote in
:

[...]

Here's a UK example of an ambiguous mixed up description . It says
"3.5MM JACK PLUG, MONO"

http://cpc.farnell.com/AV15207/cable...s/product.us0?
sku=pro-signal-psg01659

And when the same supplier reverses the direction of the
illustration, they give a different description of effectively the
same item: "ADAPTOR, 3.5MM S TO PHONO P"

http://cpc.farnell.com/pro-signal/ps...or-3-5mm-s-to-
phono-p/dp/AV15537

What a muddle that first one is!

At least they both refer to A and B. Is there a convention for
which is A and which is B? (Without the photo it might be hard to
know which is which.)

Posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design

"Paul B" wrote ...
Here's a UK example of an ambiguous mixed up description . It says
"3.5MM JACK PLUG, MONO"

http://cpc.farnell.com/AV15207/cable...s/product.us0?
sku=pro-signal-psg01659

And when the same supplier reverses the direction of the
illustration, they give a different description of effectively the
same item: "ADAPTOR, 3.5MM S TO PHONO P"

http://cpc.farnell.com/pro-signal/ps...or-3-5mm-s-to-
phono-p/dp/AV15537

What a muddle that first one is!

At least they both refer to A and B. Is there a convention for
which is A and which is B? (Without the photo it might be hard to
know which is which.)

There seems to be trend towards using people as content
editors (and even creators) who have not a clue about the
subject matter.

RadioShack here in the US is getting better, but for a while
there, their website featured trendy, small, square "photos" of
some part of the merchandise that probably looked "artistic"
to the "art director" but was complete nonsense to anyone
who knew anything about the goods.

For example, they would show the handle/grip part of the
connector, and crop out the actual working end. Combined
with the scrambled and incomplete "descriptions" the combined
result was a complete dog's breakfast mess of random words
and photos.

Fortunately, someone broke through to the management and
showed them that they were shooting themselves in the foot
by making their online information worse than useless.

Posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design
Lostgallifreyan Lostgallifreyan is offline

David Nebenzahl wrote in
s.com:

Kind of like the confusion (at least in my mind) between "onshore" and
"offshore" winds; I've always got to stop and think: does that mean the
wind is blowing on the shore from the ocean, or on the shore from the land?

That got me thinking a bit. In this case there's more than convention though.
The land is an extension of the shore, so onshore means coming in from the
sea (if it was already moving over land before reaching the coast, calling it
onshore at the critical moment when it no longer was, would be pointless).
That could still be open to convention, but if you're on land, what matters
is where the wind comes from, once it's past you it's someone elses business.
At sea it's the other way round, no matter where it comes from, it's always
more important where it's going because if it's strong enough to be
hazardous, where it goes, so must you, to some extent at least.

That critical aspect isn't just me digressing for fun. It explains why
conventions in HV systems are far more critically observed. Once people lives
are at stake, they tend to agree and accept conventions.

But for domestic hifi cabling and such, all bets are off. Never mind
plug/socket, male/female. If you don't specify exactly whether you mean the
two connectors on the adaptive section, or the one on each of the separate
links that adaptive section is meant to bridge, then all the rest has as much
basis as up and down if you're in freefall. I think most people specify that
first, from what I've seen, so people instinctively know the need to be met.
But that works by talking, seeing, touching even, it won't work on an online
order form.

*sleeps before I turn into a little blob of literalistic goo*
Posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design

wrote:

* the original "RCA phono" connector is also known as "Cinch",
particularly outside the US.

Cinch is a connector company that makes hundreds of types. I've never
come across the RCA phono referred to as a Cinch. The shorthand
nomenclature, certainly here in the UK, is always Phono.

Standard nomenclature in France.

S.
--
http://audiopages.googlepages.com

Posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design

wrote:

One great confusion is the meaning of the terms "plug" and "socket". As
far
as I'm concerned a plug goes on a cable, and a socket goes on a panel. You
therefore can have male plugs or female plugs, and the same for sockets.

Therefore your adapter above is an RCA female to 3.5mm jack male. You
don't
and shouldn't mention the words plug or socket.

S.

Never. A plug is male and a socket is female. Another word for a
socket is a jack. It doesn't matter what they are attached to, and nor
should it - that is entirely beside the point (missing the business
end, if you like).

In RF, of course, there are hermaphrodite connectors, like the 7mm.

So XLR plugs are all male? Technically you may be right, but that's not how
the words get used. Everyone talks of XLR plugs whether they're male or
female if they're attached to a cable. Ditto BNCs which have male inners and
sort of female outers.

The way I name things, all hermaphrodite connectors are plugs if they go on
the end of a cable, or sockets if they attach to a panel.

S.
--
http://audiopages.googlepages.com

Posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design
GregS[_3_] GregS[_3_] is offline

wrote:

* the original "RCA phono" connector is also known as "Cinch",
particularly outside the US.

Cinch is a connector company that makes hundreds of types. I've never
come across the RCA phono referred to as a Cinch. The shorthand
nomenclature, certainly here in the UK, is always Phono.

Standard nomenclature in France.

S.

There seems a lack of any info on Cinch-Jones in Wikipedia

They used to call RCA plugs phono years ago, when phonos were the rage.
Since phonos started out mono, it only had 1 conductor.

I just worked on a Apple power cord. it looks like a 3 conductor RCA
somewhat.

greg
Posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design

wrote:

[...]

No, if you look at the signal mating faces of the BNC, you will find
that a male is male for both inner and outer. It is only the locking
ring that is different. And I think I have always called XLRs
connectors, rather than plugs and sockets. I am in no doubt about
which is the male though - it has the pins which push into the sockets
of the female.

The way I name things, all hermaphrodite connectors are plugs if they go on
the end of a cable, or sockets if they attach to a panel.

S.

Try the APC7

http://nocat.net/images/connectors/APC7.jpg

The mating faces are both flat - entirely unsexed. They are always
called simply connectors. The locking ring is also present on all of
them - simply advance and engage whichever of the two takes your
fancy.

They are usually not the scratched and scraped mess of this one - very
poor care.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Ron Capik[_2_] Ron Capik[_2_] is offline

wrote:

* the original "RCA phono" connector is also known as "Cinch",
particularly outside the US.
Cinch is a connector company that makes hundreds of types. I've never
come across the RCA phono referred to as a Cinch. The shorthand
nomenclature, certainly here in the UK, is always Phono.

Standard nomenclature in France.

S.

There seems a lack of any info on Cinch-Jones in Wikipedia

Have you tried the Cinch catalog?
http://www.cinch.com/view_product_line.cinch?id=29
....or are you looking for the history and evolution?

They used to call RCA plugs phono years ago, when phonos were the rage.
Since phonos started out mono, it only had 1 conductor.

I just worked on a Apple power cord. it looks like a 3 conductor RCA
somewhat.

greg

Interesting that the Cinch company has no RCA/phono product line. g

Wonder if many of the folks out there using "phono" connctors
even know what a phono[graph] is. G

Rhetorical question:
Why the heck is the female connector called a jack?
Shouldn't it be a Jill?

Later...

Ron Capik
Posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design

On 3/23/2009 5:44 AM Don Pearce spake thus:

wrote:

* the original "RCA phono" connector is also known as "Cinch",
particularly outside the US.

Cinch is a connector company that makes hundreds of types. I've never
come across the RCA phono referred to as a Cinch. The shorthand
nomenclature, certainly here in the UK, is always Phono.

I thought the company was Cinch-Jones, or some such. Is that an old name?

mostly pears.
Made With Pears: Pretty good chance that pears will be detectable in
the product.
Contains Pears: One pear seed per multiple tons of product.

(with apologies to Dorothy L. Sayers)
Posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design

Don Pearce wrote:

In RF, of course, there are hermaphrodite connectors, like the 7mm.

Audio, too, like the Switchcraft 2501 series.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

Goggle Groups, and Web TV users must request to be white listed, or I
will not see your messages.

Posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design
Rich Grise Rich Grise is offline

On Sun, 22 Mar 2009 14:52:41 -0800, David Nebenzahl wrote:
[...]

I do. In fact, if I ever get that dam digital coupon, I plan to ask if
any of the boxes have audio and video out, since I have audio and video
in RCA jacks on my TeeVee.

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design

On Sun, 22 Mar 2009 21:11:48 -0800, David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 3/22/2009 7:09 PM Mr.T spake thus:
"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message

Most accurate and least confusing is RCA (phono) female-female adapter.
It should not be decribed by the plugs it adapts, most people would consider
a "phono plug to plug adapter" as being Male-Male, rather than F-F.

Kind of like the confusion (at least in my mind) between "onshore" and
"offshore" winds; I've always got to stop and think: does that mean the
wind is blowing on the shore from the ocean, or on the shore from the land?

The local TeeVee weather shows call it "onshore" when it's coming from the
ocean, going onto the shore on its way. "Offshore" is the ones that start
on land and blow their way off the shore (onto the ocean).

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design

On Mon, 23 Mar 2009 08:40:58 +0000, Jasen Betts wrote:

On 2009-03-23, David Nebenzahl wrote:
[...]

That only applies to "northerly", etc. Onshore really means onto the shore.

Hope This Helps!
Rich

Posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design
Andre Majorel Andre Majorel is offline

On 2009-03-23, Richard Crowley wrote:
"Don Pearce" wrote...
Richard Crowley"wrote:
* the original "RCA phono" connector is also known as "Cinch",
particularly outside the US.

Cinch is a connector company that makes hundreds of types.

Most certainly. And it is not the only example of a particular kind
of connector coloquially named after the manufacturer. There are
many others. But "RCA/Cinch" appears to be the most widely-
reconizable name for that kind of connector.

I've never
come across the RCA phono referred to as a Cinch.

And neither had I until I started reading (international) news-
groups such as this one.

The shorthand
nomenclature, certainly here in the UK, is always Phono.

As it is here in the US.

Don't have any usage statistics handy but I know that when I
read "phono" I have to stop and think what it might be. Creative
spelling for "phone jack" ? The actual device ? Something else ?
Oh, you meant an "RCA" or "Cinch" ? Why not write that, then ?

--
André Majorel URL:http://www.teaser.fr/~amajorel/
"This would only solve part of the problem therefore the status
Posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design

Andre Majorel wrote:

Don't have any usage statistics handy but I know that when I
read "phono" I have to stop and think what it might be. Creative
spelling for "phone jack" ? The actual device ? Something else ?
Oh, you meant an "RCA" or "Cinch" ? Why not write that, then ?

Other than the fact that RCA developed the connectors for its add on
45 RPM record changers? They sold radios with the mating connector, and
added a switch to the existing radio designs so people could buy the
changer, only if they needed it. Cinch had nothing to do with the
original connector design.

Why should we pander to those with feeble minds?

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

Goggle Groups, and Web TV users must request to be white listed, or I
will not see your messages.

Posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

wrote:

One great confusion is the meaning of the terms "plug" and "socket". As

far
as I'm concerned a plug goes on a cable, and a socket goes on a panel.

You
therefore can have male plugs or female plugs, and the same for sockets.

Never. A plug is male and a socket is female.

Exactly, which is why a socket can be either a "cord mount" or a "panel
mount".

MrT.

Posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

"Richard Crowley" wrote in message
. ..
* phone connectors (of whatever size) should be specified at least as
"stereo" vs "mono", although there is growing use of 4-pole versions
(for stereo headphones + microphone, or stereo audio + video, etc.)
and 3-pole does not necessarily imply "stereo" either, as it is commonly
used for audio + power (as for mono computer "mic input"s)

Which is why you should use the term TS or TRS (tip, ring, sleeve) rather
than stereo or mono. A mono balanced line also uses a TRS plug for example.

MrT.

Posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

"Don Pearce" wrote in message
Cinch is a connector company that makes hundreds of types. I've never
come across the RCA phono referred to as a Cinch. The shorthand
nomenclature, certainly here in the UK, is always Phono.

Phono is shorthand for RCA? :-)
Frankly since RCA are the common cheap video connections these days, and
turntables are now fairly rare, I prefer not to use the term "phono" any
more.

MrT.

Posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

"Paul B" wrote in message
With XLR connectors, there are male and female connectors but it is
the female connector which is inserted into the male one.

No, when describing connectors as male or female, it is the conductor pins
that define it. The pins of a male XLR "insert" into the sockets of a
female, regardless of whether they are cord or panel mount.
Trying to insert a socket "into" a pin would require more than a big hammer
:-)

MrT.

Posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design
whisky-dave whisky-dave is offline

wrote:

One great confusion is the meaning of the terms "plug" and "socket". As
far
as I'm concerned a plug goes on a cable, and a socket goes on a panel.
You
therefore can have male plugs or female plugs, and the same for sockets.

Therefore your adapter above is an RCA female to 3.5mm jack male. You
don't
and shouldn't mention the words plug or socket.

S.

Never. A plug is male and a socket is female. Another word for a
socket is a jack. It doesn't matter what they are attached to, and nor
should it - that is entirely beside the point (missing the business
end, if you like).

In RF, of course, there are hermaphrodite connectors, like the 7mm.

So XLR plugs are all male?

I'd say so.
I've used XLR sockets too.

Technically you may be right, but that's not how the words get used.
Everyone talks of XLR plugs whether they're male or female if they're
attached to a cable.

I don;t and anyone that does I'd correct.

Ditto BNCs which have male inners and sort of female outers.

The way I name things, all hermaphrodite connectors are plugs if they go
on the end of a cable, or sockets if they attach to a panel.

for me it's Male plugs, female sockets.

But of course in a PC world I'd call a male that has had a sex change
a female, but if I found a 3 pins mains plug without the pins I'd call it
useless
and throw it in the recycle box

Posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design

"Mr.T" wrote ...
"Richard Crowley" wrote ...
* phone connectors (of whatever size) should be specified at least as
"stereo" vs "mono", although there is growing use of 4-pole versions
(for stereo headphones + microphone, or stereo audio + video, etc.)
and 3-pole does not necessarily imply "stereo" either, as it is
commonly
used for audio + power (as for mono computer "mic input"s)

Which is why you should use the term TS or TRS (tip, ring, sleeve) rather
than stereo or mono. A mono balanced line also uses a TRS plug for
example.

Indeed. Alas, there isn't a similar acronym for 4-pole. TRRS anyone?

Posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

GregS wrote:

"Serge Auckland" wrote:
"Don Pearce" wrote in message
"Richard Crowley" wrote:

* the original "RCA phono" connector is also known as "Cinch",
particularly outside the US.

Cinch is a connector company that makes hundreds of types. I've never
come across the RCA phono referred to as a Cinch. The shorthand
nomenclature, certainly here in the UK, is always Phono.

Standard nomenclature in France.

There seems a lack of any info on Cinch-Jones in Wikipedia

They used to call RCA plugs phono years ago, when phonos were the rage.
Since phonos started out mono, it only had 1 conductor.

Standard nomeclature for the same connector, In the USA and probably Canada, an RCA jack, in the UK and
affiliated countries a Phono plug, in mainland Europe a Cinch connector.

Graham

Listening dome for convention [email protected] Pro Audio 1 March 22nd 06 03:57 PM
Car audio mute leads ?? Jon Car Audio 2 August 23rd 05 04:45 PM
History of XLR gender convention Hal Laurent Pro Audio 38 March 25th 05 09:44 PM
Breaking News From the Democratic Convention Michael McKelvy Audio Opinions 0 July 27th 04 10:41 PM
DBX rack mount adaptors. Kevin Rogers Marketplace 0 July 14th 03 01:40 AM