Posted to rec.video.desktop,rec.audio.misc,alt.music.mp3.hardware
zalek zalek is offline

Default How to transfer files in sorted order to mp4 player (ICE from LatteCommunication)?

I bought mp4 player Latter Ice. The player is veeeeeryyyyy slow -
transfering 1gb take about 1/2 hour, but I can live with it. What
bothers me - files on ICE are not played in alphabetic order. I don't
mind to listen to songs randomly, but recently I copied to this mp4
player lessons, numbered 001-lesson, 002-lesson etc - and this is a
big problem.
Here are my questions:
1. Is there a way to copy files in a such way that mp4 player will
play it is alphabetic order?
2. Which mp3/mp4 players allow to create a playlist?

Thanks,

Zalek
Posted to rec.video.desktop,rec.audio.misc,alt.music.mp3.hardware
Dave Cohen Dave Cohen is offline

zalek wrote:
I bought mp4 player Latter Ice. The player is veeeeeryyyyy slow -
transfering 1gb take about 1/2 hour, but I can live with it. What
bothers me - files on ICE are not played in alphabetic order. I don't
mind to listen to songs randomly, but recently I copied to this mp4
player lessons, numbered 001-lesson, 002-lesson etc - and this is a
big problem.
Here are my questions:
1. Is there a way to copy files in a such way that mp4 player will
play it is alphabetic order?
2. Which mp3/mp4 players allow to create a playlist?

Thanks,

Zalek

Most players will use the tag data to order file play, you need to
consult the manual. You can manipulate tag data with mp3tag, a free
download.
My Sansa has a playlist menu item, but will only work in conjunction
with Rhapsordy (and possibly latest wmp). Again you need to consult
manual, although they aren't always very specific on details.
Dave Cohen
Posted to rec.video.desktop,rec.audio.misc,alt.music.mp3.hardware

zalek wrote:
I bought mp4 player Latter Ice. The player is veeeeeryyyyy slow -
transfering 1gb take about 1/2 hour, but I can live with it. What
bothers me - files on ICE are not played in alphabetic order. I don't
mind to listen to songs randomly, but recently I copied to this mp4
player lessons, numbered 001-lesson, 002-lesson etc - and this is a
big problem.
Here are my questions:
1. Is there a way to copy files in a such way that mp4 player will
play it is alphabetic order?
2. Which mp3/mp4 players allow to create a playlist?

They've got a link to a FAQ on their website he-

http://www.lattefone.com/index.htm

With a "contact us" page showing a phone number in San Jose, if you're
in the USA, with others too.

Depending on which chipset they use, there may be a way to cheat by
uploading files individually to a directory in the order you want them
to play back.

All the Archos media players let you create MP3 playlists using Winamp
or Windows Media Player, but I've not tried this out on video files.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to rec.video.desktop,rec.audio.misc,alt.music.mp3.hardware
zalek zalek is offline

On Apr 15, 4:15 pm, John Williamson
wrote:
zalek wrote:
[...]

Thanks guys,

I called Latte Communication - the answer was there is no ability to
create a playlist - files in a created directory should be read in
alphabetic order - which is only 90% true. After copying some files
are still out of order. Also created directories are not shown in
alphabetic order.
I emailed them questions - but did not get any answer (yet?). The
device must have built in a program that read file in a specific order
- I would like to know specific details of files/directories format
(FAT16?) - then maybe using some software I could change it. I suspect
files are written to ICE in the order they were copied - so I need to
write a program that will copy sequentially files one by one (it would
be very simple program).
Other problem I have with ICE - some mp3 files have maximum volume
very low - do you know how to increase it?

Thanks,

Zalek
Posted to rec.video.desktop,rec.audio.misc,alt.music.mp3.hardware

wrote:
zalek wrote:
[...]

The file system is probably FAT16 on any SD card you use in the device,
with the internal memory having its own format, emulating a FAT drive to
the outside world. It also probably translates file names on any
expansion memory to its own internal system for playback ordering.

You may well be right about the way the files are written to the memory,
as Creative use a similar system on some of their units, which use their
own internal file names based on time of writing, shown to the outside
world as the names the files were saved under by a similar mechanism to
the one used by long file names in Windows 95, 98 & ME. Unfortunately,
not having a unit available, I can't say where or in what format the
conversion table is held.

To be honest, when I had similar problems with a Creative unit, I just
gave up the struggle & bought an Archos, which is now working exactly as
I require (Playlists galore for the MP3's) with a collection in excess
of 6000 music tracks & a few dozen videos.

As for your quiet MP3 files, there is a facility in the IDV2 tag
metadata to store a gain for the track, & your unit may be reading this,
if you or the person converting the file have used one of a number of
programs that write to this field. Otherwise, open the file in Winamp or
similar & check the volume, as some conversion programs have been known
to set the output level low for some reason. There are free programs
that will let you normalise levels on MP3 files, buit for MP4 files,
you're probably going to need a video editing program.

Hope this helps.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.