Default Alpine CDA-7995 HU (Pre-amp only)? On Sale $300

Crutchfield.my not so favorite mail order company is having a sale on this
unit for $300 down from $500. Is this a good choice for the price, I have
had my eye out for a good amp-less HU with AUX-in/MP3/XM for some time now.
Just so happens I have some spare cash and a new PocetPC GPS I would like to
hook up to it.

My main concerns are how the CD player sounds while playing uncompressed
(not huge on MP3.YET) and how well the unit will operate with FM & AM,
although I will probably be adding XM in the near future!

How are the Alpine XM radio units, are there any real differences in sound
quality?

Thanks for any input!