Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.audio.pro
MHMLSHURE MHMLSHURE is offline

Default Vintage Shure 55c, trouble getting good sound quality

Thanks Scott! I tested the Shure 55 fatboy last night and it actually worked!!!!!! Very pleased. I might not have to do anything at this point but am interested in being able to use an XLR connector so I can press my California Blonde amp into services with it.
When I take the connector apart, I see that it actually has 3 wires, 1, 2, and 3 so I think its balanced but not sure. Its paired with the TS connector for an unbalanced application. I ordered a Hosa MIT - 129 1/4€¯ TS to XLR3M impedance transformer (connector) so I can use it with my amp that requires an XLR input. Not sure this will work for me. But it works perfectly right now with an old Karaoke platform I had laying around - the platform accepts the TS connector. I have to turn the volume up quite a bit however€¦.

Based on your suggestion, I will NOT be installing the SM-58 capsule in the mike.

Howard

On Monday, April 27, 2020 at 8:50:57 AM UTC-4, Scott Dorsey wrote:

I just purchased a Shure 55 Fatboy, not sure when it was manufactured since=
the written material on the mike is not legible. The exterior is in fanta=
stic shape and the interier components are all in tact. It has a TS 1/4" c=
onnector and I have NOT tested it at all. I have just ordered the TS to XL=
R adaptor but I'm anticipating that the Fatboy will sound terrible thus I'd=
like to convert it to the SM58 just as you did. Any advice in doing so wo=
uld be greatly appreciated. =20

Download the manual from Shure. Make sure you get the right one... I am
assuming from the fact that it came with a TS cable that it was the multi
impedance model. For modern inputs, set the switch to position M.

Take the Amphenol connector off that cable and throw the rest of it away
because it's not useful. Connect a cable with an XLR connector to the
Amphenol connector... you do NOT want to use an unbalanced cable with this
microphone once it's in medum-Z mode. The Amphenol connector is wired
with the same numbering as an XLR... pin 1 is shield, pin 2 hot, pin 3
ground. However, the pins are not in the same positions so look at the
numbers in the plastic block. Solder hot and fast because many of these
are old and crispy.

Putting an SM-58 capsule into one of these really doesn't change the sound
very much... it still sounds terrible even with the 58 capsule in there
because what is wrong with the sound is mostly the grille and body design
creating all kinds of internal resonances. And putting a 58 capsule inside
will substantially devalue it. So if it is working, I would not touch
it... just make up the correct cable so you can use it properly with a
normal balanced line.

If it isn't working, put a 58 capsule in there, sure.

Good bass music for sound quality (no boom) WannaKatana Car Audio 8 December 30th 06 04:20 AM
Good music for sound quality WannaKatana Car Audio 5 December 29th 06 08:33 AM
Sound Trouble disturbed290 Car Audio 1 June 3rd 05 02:37 AM
Shure E2,3,5: sound quality, isolation? [email protected] Pro Audio 4 March 9th 05 09:49 PM
Good sound quality amp under 300.00 any suggestions? wangch Car Audio 6 April 17th 04 08:14 AM