Ike

Default Pro Tools and files on same hard drive or not?

I purchased an Apple G4/1.42 and now i´m asking advice about installing
new software.

The new G4 has two hard drives, 120 G that came with new Mac and an
older 20 G removed from my old G4, where i will keep most of my OS 9
software (and lots of other data). The 120 G drive will obviously be
used for storing audio and video files.

I have a choise of installing Pro Tools LE and Final Cut Pro application
software on the old (smaller) drive or the new one. To optimize
performance/reliability, should i install PT/FCP software on a separate
hard drive from work files? Will it make any difference?

Or should i just put software, OSX and work files on separate
partitions on the same (120G) drive?

Ike
Abyssmal

.. To optimize
performance/reliability, should i install PT/FCP software on a separate
hard drive from work files? Will it make any difference?

It will make a difference in that whatever resources are being used to
run the operating system and programs will not be available to run
tracks if you install everything one a single drive.

You will get more tracks if you use a seperate drive dedicated to
audio.If you plan on recording at higher sampling rates, a dedicated
drive will be even more desireable to play back high res multitrack
projects.

Or should i just put software, OSX and work files on separate
partitions on the same (120G) drive?

I would opt for seperate operating system/ audio drives.
Your 20 gig drive may work fine for the OS if it is not too old.
If it dont, get another new drive to optimize the system.

Randall
Ty Ford

In Article , Ike
wrote:
I purchased an Apple G4/1.42 and now iYm asking advice about installing
new software.

The new G4 has two hard drives, 120 G that came with new Mac and an
older 20 G removed from my old G4, where i will keep most of my OS 9
software (and lots of other data). The 120 G drive will obviously be
used for storing audio and video files.

I have a choise of installing Pro Tools LE and Final Cut Pro application
software on the old (smaller) drive or the new one. To optimize
performance/reliability, should i install PT/FCP software on a separate
hard drive from work files? Will it make any difference?

Or should i just put software, OSX and work files on separate
partitions on the same (120G) drive?

Ike

Dear Ike,

Do yourself a favor and curl up with the manual on a rainy weekend. You'll
know more than you wanted to know.

The Pro Tools manual suggests you put system and apps on one drive and audio
data on another approved drive.

Pro Tools LE is useless without the Mbox, Digi 001 or Digi 002. If you're
going with OSX, you need Pro Tools 6.X. Check me, but I don't think 6.0
works on any Mac system below OSX.

I partitioned my first 80MB hard drive years ago. After having to
repartition it and pull everything off and put it back on to do so, I never
repartitioned.

My Powerbook has both 9 and OSX. I'm not even sure if Apple partitioned the
drive or not.

Regards,

Ty Ford

For Ty Ford V/O demos, audio services and equipment reviews,
click on http://www.jagunet.com/~tford

Kurt Albershardt

Ty Ford wrote:

Dear Ike,

Do yourself a favor and curl up with the manual on a rainy weekend.

Got any extras you could send our way? It's a little dry out West.

Scientific proof that digital sound is bad cwvalle Audio Opinions 138 February 3rd 04 02:27 AM
Extracting audio metadata Gaz General 2 October 27th 03 04:28 PM
New ABC/HR versions and tools ff123 Audio Opinions 0 October 12th 03 09:59 PM