pogo

Default how to bench test an amp

what equipment is needed to test an amp outside of the car?
--what type of power supply can i use: perhaps a 12V battery charger?
thanks
sanitarium

Depends on how deply you want to test. If you just want to check for power
up and basic circuit continuity than a 12V battery and DVM is all you need.
I tried my battery charger as a bench P/S and it didn't work. I needed to
connect a 12V battery to the circuit in order for it to work ((??)).

I use a pair of small-ish gell cell batteries and a wall-wart trickle
charger. The 2 cells wired in parallel give 14 amps at 13 volts.
I have an old sony mobile ES casette deck, pair of 4 ohm PA speakers, and a
profile amp. I can patch these components together quickly depending on
what equipment I am testing.

Wish I had an o-scope....

Garrett

"pogo" wrote in message
om...
what equipment is needed to test an amp outside of the car?
--what type of power supply can i use: perhaps a 12V battery charger?
thanks

Ge0

YOu can go as simple as Garrett said or as elaborate (or more) as me. 200A
power supply 0-20VDC, multiple signal sources (PC, DVD, CD, FM, Arbitrary
Function Generator, etc...), audio distortion analysis, and on and on.

Hpwever, at the bare minimum you need a 12VDC source capable of delivering
about 5A to power up most amps. You'll also need a source to patch into it.

Ge0

"sanitarium" wrote in message
Depends on how deply you want to test. If you just want to check for

power
up and basic circuit continuity than a 12V battery and DVM is all you

need.
I tried my battery charger as a bench P/S and it didn't work. I needed to
connect a 12V battery to the circuit in order for it to work ((??)).

I use a pair of small-ish gell cell batteries and a wall-wart trickle
charger. The 2 cells wired in parallel give 14 amps at 13 volts.
I have an old sony mobile ES casette deck, pair of 4 ohm PA speakers, and

profile amp. I can patch these components together quickly depending on
what equipment I am testing.

Wish I had an o-scope....

Garrett

om...