Posted to rec.audio.pro
Sarah[_8_] Sarah[_8_] is offline

Default Crackle/shuddering in Right Speaker and Headphones?

Hi,

I have KRK Rokit 5 monitors (about 4 years old) and Beyerdynamic DT
770 PRO (250 OHM) headphones (bought earlier this year). I'm hearing
this crackling/shuddering sound in the right headphone and right
monitor only during bassy bits. My volume level is fairly low. I'm
not sure whether the problem is with my speakers and headphones (seems
unlikely) or with my source material (which is high quality .wavs, not
compressed mp3s).

Any help identifying and fixing the problem would be hugely
appreciated!

Thanks so much,

-Sarah
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

On 1/21/2011 9:58 PM, Sarah wrote:

I have KRK Rokit 5 monitors (about 4 years old) and Beyerdynamic DT
770 PRO (250 OHM) headphones (bought earlier this year). I'm hearing
this crackling/shuddering sound in the right headphone and right
monitor only during bassy bits.

Uh . . . what's the source that's feeding the headphones and
speakers? A mixer? A sound card? An old AM radio? Whatever
it is, I think it's broken.

of audio." - John Watkinson

interesting audio stuff
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Sarah wrote:
I have KRK Rokit 5 monitors (about 4 years old) and Beyerdynamic DT
770 PRO (250 OHM) headphones (bought earlier this year). I'm hearing
this crackling/shuddering sound in the right headphone and right
monitor only during bassy bits.

What are they plugged into?

My volume level is fairly low. I'm
not sure whether the problem is with my speakers and headphones (seems
unlikely) or with my source material (which is high quality .wavs, not
compressed mp3s).

Switch the left and right channel on the file, play it back again. Does
the problem move to the left channel? If so, it's in the file. If not,
it's in the playback system somewhere.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Bill Graham Bill Graham is offline

Sarah wrote:
Hi,

I have KRK Rokit 5 monitors (about 4 years old) and Beyerdynamic DT
770 PRO (250 OHM) headphones (bought earlier this year). I'm hearing
this crackling/shuddering sound in the right headphone and right
monitor only during bassy bits. My volume level is fairly low. I'm
not sure whether the problem is with my speakers and headphones (seems
unlikely) or with my source material (which is high quality .wavs, not
compressed mp3s).

Any help identifying and fixing the problem would be hugely
appreciated!

Thanks so much,

-Sarah

Swap the channels (left & right) stage by stage, until the trouble moves to
the other channel. As soon as it does, you have found the problem.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Sarah[_8_] Sarah[_8_] is offline

Hi guys,

Thanks so much for the help. This is very useful.

My apologies for not being more specific in my original email about my
sound source - it's a 6-year-old US-122 audio/midi interface.

Bill - good idea to swap the channels. I did so and found that the
noise moved from the right headphone/monitor to the left one. I
assume that this rules out a problem with the monitors, headphones or
USB interface.

So, as Scott suggests, the problem is probably my source material
then, right?

Thanks again,

-Sarah

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Sarah wrote:
Hi guys,

Thanks so much for the help. This is very useful.

My apologies for not being more specific in my original email about my
sound source - it's a 6-year-old US-122 audio/midi interface.

Bill - good idea to swap the channels. I did so and found that the
noise moved from the right headphone/monitor to the left one. I
assume that this rules out a problem with the monitors, headphones or
USB interface.

So, as Scott suggests, the problem is probably my source material
then, right?

Thanks again,

-Sarah

Yes, if you swapped them right at the input. It must be the source signal.
You can use this method everywhere along the signal processing path,
however, in order to find out which of your units is bad. I had a problem
with intermittant noise on one channel several years ago, so I swapped
amplifiers, and a couple of weeks went by before the noise appeared again on
the other channel, so I knew my amp was bad. But it took a while for it to
show up.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Sarah wrote:

Thanks so much for the help. This is very useful.

My apologies for not being more specific in my original email about my
sound source - it's a 6-year-old US-122 audio/midi interface.

Bill - good idea to swap the channels. I did so and found that the
noise moved from the right headphone/monitor to the left one. I
assume that this rules out a problem with the monitors, headphones or
USB interface.

So, as Scott suggests, the problem is probably my source material
then, right?

Sounds like it. Try adding a 40 Hz highpass filter. Does that help it?

Connecting Headphones in Parallel With a Speaker mg Tech 36 December 4th 07 05:09 PM
Speaker crackle rmoran Car Audio 2 June 25th 07 02:50 PM
pioneer crackle chezruss Pro Audio 1 November 3rd 06 03:44 PM
Need help: Speaker Crackle with Denon/Fosgate set up [email protected] Pro Audio 5 October 31st 06 11:29 PM
snap crackle pop John Ray Vacuum Tubes 6 May 10th 05 12:57 AM