Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Steven[_3_] Steven[_3_] is offline

Default Home Theater Advice - Receivers and Speakers

Sometime next year I am going to dive into the world of home theater
and upgrade my 10 year old 32" Sony Trinitron.

I'm looking at all the HDTV's now and narrowing down my choices. My
question relates more to the audio component of my home theater. I
have just read an excellent book on putting together high end audio
systems, "Introductory Guide to High-Performance Audio Systems" by
Robert Harley. The book explains all the aspects of putting together
the best sounding system for any budget. I would highly recommend it.
As a matter of fact, I think I will be buying a copy soon (read my
copy from the library).

Back to my question. Since I am on a budget (which I suspect most of
us are), are their any resources online to find quality reviews of
pairings of 5.1 speaker systems and receivers? Most of the articles I
come across seem to be reviewing either the receiver or the speaker
system, almost never both. I don't have the time to listen to all the
different combinations of speakers and receivers and was wondering
where I could find this information. My budget will be about $1,200
for receiver and $2-3,000 for complete 5.1 speaker system.

Thanks in advance.

Steven

PS. For this money, I am looking for a system that will truly blow me
away. Clean, crisp sound, Dolby TrueHD compatible, mostly for watching
movies but also for listening to CD's. My current setup is an
inexpensive 10 year old Yamaha receiver with 2 B&W bookshelf speakers,
so I am not used to very high quality audio.