A Audio and hi-fi forum. AudioBanter

Go Back   Home » AudioBanter forum » rec.audio » Audio Opinions
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

older CD players (nad 50x, 51x, denon 615/815) vs new cd players - anyone heard both?



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old October 29th 06, 11:13 AM posted to rec.audio.opinion
spronk
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2
Default older CD players (nad 50x, 51x, denon 615/815) vs new cd players - anyone heard both?

Hi all,

I've currently got a system consisting of Wharfedale Rubiance RB-23
standmounts, and a NAD C320BEE amp, and I'm searching around for CD
Players.

I've currently got three players that I have bought in my quest to find
good sounds:

- NAD 512 (second hand $US 40)
- Denon DCD-615 (s.h. $US 35)
- JVC XL-V131 (s.h. for $US 80 including an old 35w marantz amp)

They all play and read fine. With my system the NAD definitely sounds
nicer to my ears, much smoother mid-range than the others, and less
harsh treble. The Denon is nice and detailed, but lacks bass and is a
bit harsh. The JVC sounds much more mass-market (albeit very good
compared to most I've heard) , with strong bass and strong treble, but
whereas the denon and NAD players sound somewhat silky, the JVC sounds
a lot more like regular cotton.

I'm also looking at buying a Denon DCD-815 for $US 45, and I'm
wondering how it, and my other three players have performed for other
owners.

Finally, for owners who have upgraded to a late-model player (e.g. the
NAD C521/521BEE or Rotel's 10xx series or a new cambridge azur player),
how does it compare to the older generations in listening enjoyment and
sound quality?

I've heard almost all of the newer players are much more analogue-esque
in sound than the older players. Is it worth selling up and saving for
a new model, or is the newer technology not that much better?

Regards
Keith Humm

Ads
  #2  
Old October 29th 06, 01:56 PM posted to rec.audio.opinion
paul packer
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,827
Default older CD players (nad 50x, 51x, denon 615/815) vs new cd players - anyone heard both?

On 29 Oct 2006 02:13:09 -0800, "spronk" > wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I've currently got a system consisting of Wharfedale Rubiance RB-23
>standmounts, and a NAD C320BEE amp, and I'm searching around for CD
>Players.
>
>I've currently got three players that I have bought in my quest to find
>good sounds:
>
> - NAD 512 (second hand $US 40)
> - Denon DCD-615 (s.h. $US 35)
> - JVC XL-V131 (s.h. for $US 80 including an old 35w marantz amp)
>
>They all play and read fine. With my system the NAD definitely sounds
>nicer to my ears, much smoother mid-range than the others, and less
>harsh treble. The Denon is nice and detailed, but lacks bass and is a
>bit harsh. The JVC sounds much more mass-market (albeit very good
>compared to most I've heard) , with strong bass and strong treble, but
>whereas the denon and NAD players sound somewhat silky, the JVC sounds
>a lot more like regular cotton.
>
>I'm also looking at buying a Denon DCD-815 for $US 45, and I'm
>wondering how it, and my other three players have performed for other
>owners.
>
>Finally, for owners who have upgraded to a late-model player (e.g. the
>NAD C521/521BEE or Rotel's 10xx series or a new cambridge azur player),
>how does it compare to the older generations in listening enjoyment and
>sound quality?
>
>I've heard almost all of the newer players are much more analogue-esque
>in sound than the older players. Is it worth selling up and saving for
>a new model, or is the newer technology not that much better?
>
>Regards
>Keith Humm
>


I have a question for you, Keith. How do you rate the C320BEE?
  #3  
Old October 29th 06, 09:29 PM posted to rec.audio.opinion
Trevor Wilson
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 776
Default older CD players (nad 50x, 51x, denon 615/815) vs new cd players - anyone heard both?


"spronk" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hi all,
>
> I've currently got a system consisting of Wharfedale Rubiance RB-23
> standmounts, and a NAD C320BEE amp, and I'm searching around for CD
> Players.
>
> I've currently got three players that I have bought in my quest to find
> good sounds:
>
> - NAD 512 (second hand $US 40)
> - Denon DCD-615 (s.h. $US 35)
> - JVC XL-V131 (s.h. for $US 80 including an old 35w marantz amp)
>
> They all play and read fine. With my system the NAD definitely sounds
> nicer to my ears, much smoother mid-range than the others, and less
> harsh treble. The Denon is nice and detailed, but lacks bass and is a
> bit harsh. The JVC sounds much more mass-market (albeit very good
> compared to most I've heard) , with strong bass and strong treble, but
> whereas the denon and NAD players sound somewhat silky, the JVC sounds
> a lot more like regular cotton.
>
> I'm also looking at buying a Denon DCD-815 for $US 45, and I'm
> wondering how it, and my other three players have performed for other
> owners.
>
> Finally, for owners who have upgraded to a late-model player (e.g. the
> NAD C521/521BEE or Rotel's 10xx series or a new cambridge azur player),
> how does it compare to the older generations in listening enjoyment and
> sound quality?
>
> I've heard almost all of the newer players are much more analogue-esque
> in sound than the older players. Is it worth selling up and saving for
> a new model, or is the newer technology not that much better?


**Nope. There's bugger all difference. IMO, the standout machine of recent
times was the Rotel RCD971, or even the RCD951. Having said that, since
1990ish most CD players have been pretty good.


--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au



--
Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com

  #4  
Old November 1st 06, 11:00 AM posted to rec.audio.opinion
spronk
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2
Default older CD players (nad 50x, 51x, denon 615/815) vs new cd players - anyone heard both?


paul packer wrote:
> I have a question for you, Keith. How do you rate the C320BEE?


It's quite nice in my system. Certainly overall it's a lot better than
my previous amplifiers (Technics SU-Z11, Technics SA-T670 70's
Receiver, Marantz PM25 from the early 80's), but sounds a lot more
clinical. I did quite like the boomy and warm sound from the older
gear, but the NAD has it's own sound and I guess it's a lot more
foot-tappingly rhythmic. I got rid of the Marantz before I bought the
NAD 512 CD Player, so I can't directly compare (the NAD player made my
system sound quite a bit less harsh I think I mentioned), so I can't
directly compare that, but certainly the C320BEE is much more up-front.

It's still improving (only got it a few weeks back), and it's much
warmer and natural sounding than when I got it, but it's definitely
extracting a lot more of the sound.

  #5  
Old November 1st 06, 11:43 AM posted to rec.audio.opinion
paul packer
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,827
Default older CD players (nad 50x, 51x, denon 615/815) vs new cd players - anyone heard both?

On 1 Nov 2006 02:00:37 -0800, "spronk" > wrote:

>
>paul packer wrote:
>> I have a question for you, Keith. How do you rate the C320BEE?

>
>It's quite nice in my system. Certainly overall it's a lot better than
>my previous amplifiers (Technics SU-Z11, Technics SA-T670 70's
>Receiver, Marantz PM25 from the early 80's), but sounds a lot more
>clinical. I did quite like the boomy and warm sound from the older
>gear, but the NAD has it's own sound and I guess it's a lot more
>foot-tappingly rhythmic. I got rid of the Marantz before I bought the
>NAD 512 CD Player, so I can't directly compare (the NAD player made my
>system sound quite a bit less harsh I think I mentioned), so I can't
>directly compare that, but certainly the C320BEE is much more up-front.
>
>It's still improving (only got it a few weeks back), and it's much
>warmer and natural sounding than when I got it, but it's definitely
>extracting a lot more of the sound.


I think you'll find it'll improve yet. I've generally found NAD stuff
to be warmer and "darker" than Marantz, but I guess that's subject to
interpretation. Given the general run of comments on the Net I'd be
surprised if you're not satisfied with it in the long run.
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Great *sounding* CD recommendation? ~GT~ Audio Opinions 155 June 22nd 04 02:58 AM
Great *sounding* CD recommendation? Robert J Dewar General 139 June 19th 04 05:20 PM
Denon Link 3 - compatible DVD players? Simon Long High End Audio 1 March 1st 04 11:23 PM
Universal Players: Denon dvd-2200 Mark Platt High End Audio 0 January 3rd 04 01:18 AM
Denon 5900 Universal Player - I'm In Bliss Davidlown High End Audio 3 November 7th 03 09:32 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2019 AudioBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.