Capacitor Help

Old December 16th 04, 12:44 AM
Kirby

Default Capacitor Help

I have a Brax "Supercap", and when I was going to install it, I tohught of
something. Do I use the charger clip to charge it for the first time only?
Or do I need to have it connected all the time?

Old December 16th 04, 02:44 AM
MZ

> I have a Brax "Supercap", and when I was going to install it, I tohught of
> something. Do I use the charger clip to charge it for the first time only?
> Or do I need to have it connected all the time?

Just to initially charge it. Otherwise, it tries to go from 0 to 12volts
pretty much instantaneously, which ends up drawing tons of current, popping
fuses, and making sparks. Once connected, it will remain at the same
voltage as the car's electrical system, so you won't need to charge it
anymore. If you remove the capacitor from the vehicle, it's usually wise to
discharge it after unhooking it, so it could come in handy again.

Old December 18th 04, 08:34 AM
Kirby

Thank you. Ever since some time ago when I read the post about the Stinger
capacitor blowing up under the one mans seat, I've been really nervous
working with it. Does anyone have word on what had hapened with that man's
issue?

Old December 22nd 04, 11:07 PM
MZ

> Thank you. Ever since some time ago when I read the post about the Stinger
> capacitor blowing up under the one mans seat, I've been really nervous
> working with it. Does anyone have word on what had hapened with that man's
> issue?

I think the guess was that it was an overvoltage condition or just a faulty
cap.

Old December 22nd 04, 11:36 PM
Sean Scott

"MZ" > wrote in message
>> Thank you. Ever since some time ago when I read the post about the
>> Stinger
>> capacitor blowing up under the one mans seat, I've been really nervous
>> working with it. Does anyone have word on what had hapened with that
>> man's
>> issue?

> I think the guess was that it was an overvoltage condition or just a
> faulty
> cap.

I have just two 75W subs in my car and don't really need a capactor but
would it be a good idea to get one anyway to help take some of the load off
of the car electrical system?

Old December 23rd 04, 08:43 PM
MZ

> > I think the guess was that it was an overvoltage condition or just a
> > faulty
> > cap.
> >

> I have just two 75W subs in my car and don't really need a capactor but
> would it be a good idea to get one anyway to help take some of the load

off
> of the car electrical system?

A capacitor won't really take the load off the electrical system. Buying a
fresh battery would probably do more to take the load off the alternator
than the addition of a capacitor.

Old December 23rd 04, 09:58 PM
Sean Scott

"MZ" > wrote in message
>> > I think the guess was that it was an overvoltage condition or just a
>> > faulty
>> > cap.
>> >

>> I have just two 75W subs in my car and don't really need a capactor but
>> would it be a good idea to get one anyway to help take some of the load

> off
>> of the car electrical system?

> A capacitor won't really take the load off the electrical system. Buying
> fresh battery would probably do more to take the load off the alternator
> than the addition of a capacitor.

The car is a 2004 Chevy Malibu Classic, by fresh do you mean a bigger
battery with more cold cranking amps? Or just a newer battery, I am saving
to get some nice audiobahn 800 Watt 12s at circuit city would I need a cap
by then or is it just something you dont buy unless you NEED it?

Old December 23rd 04, 10:21 PM
MZ

> The car is a 2004 Chevy Malibu Classic, by fresh do you mean a bigger
> battery with more cold cranking amps? Or just a newer battery, I am

saving
> to get some nice audiobahn 800 Watt 12s at circuit city would I need a cap
> by then or is it just something you dont buy unless you NEED it?

By "fresh", I meant that a battery that is getting old tends to draw more
current to charge it. Since your car is a 2004, this probably isn't the
case for you.

When do you need a capacitor?
http://www.mobileaudio.com/rac-faq/rac-faq_2.html#SEC22

Old December 24th 04, 01:46 AM
Sean Scott

"MZ" > wrote in message

>> The car is a 2004 Chevy Malibu Classic, by fresh do you mean a bigger
>> battery with more cold cranking amps? Or just a newer battery, I am

> saving
>> to get some nice audiobahn 800 Watt 12s at circuit city would I need a
>> cap
>> by then or is it just something you dont buy unless you NEED it?

> By "fresh", I meant that a battery that is getting old tends to draw more
> current to charge it. Since your car is a 2004, this probably isn't the
> case for you.
>
> When do you need a capacitor?
> http://www.mobileaudio.com/rac-faq/rac-faq_2.html#SEC22

Ok thanks for the help, I don't think I need a cap, if I have any problems
with the headlights dimming I think I would rather buy a better alternator
instead.

Old December 24th 04, 05:30 AM

If it blows up, you'll just get lots of white smoke and a stinky car
for a few days, but no danger to your manhood :-)